TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wedge Setup - Need Help!

jwlong410

Hi all - looking for thoughts and insights on my wedge setup. I was recently fitted from three wedges (47 PW, 54.10, & 58.08) to four (45 PW, 52.12, 56.10, 60.08). I'm really struggling with my new wedge setup. I have a high natural ballflight, but I can only carry my 52 about 70 yards (I hit my PW 135 for context). My 56 and 60 carry 55 and 40 yards respectively. It's created a big gap in yardages and I'm generally pretty miserable from about 115 yards and in.

After talking with some buddies they were shocked I got fit into a set with descending bounce (12 > 10 > 8).

Would love any thoughts from everyone on what they might do to navigate this. I'm considering putting my old wedges back in my bag because I can carry the 54.10 at least 90 yards.

:titelist-small: TSi3 @ 9° w/ Tensei AV White 65         :titelist-small: TSi2 5W @ 14.5° w/ Tensei AV White 75

:taylormade-small: P790 4-7, P760 8-PW w/ Project X 6.0          :vokey-small: 50°, 56°, 60°

:scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport Mid-Slant          :titelist-small: Hybrid 14 Stand Bag          :titelist-small: ProV1

Hi all - looking for thoughts and insights on my wedge setup. I was recently fitted from three wedges (47 PW, 54.10, & 58.08) to four (45 PW, 52.12, 56.10, 60.08). I'm really struggling with my new wedge setup. I have a high natural ballflight, but I can only carry my 52 about 70 yards (I hit my PW 135 for context). My 56 and 60 carry 55 and 40 yards respectively. It's created a big gap in yardages and I'm generally pretty miserable from about 115 yards and in.

After talking with some buddies they were shocked I got fit into a set with descending bounce (12 > 10 > 8).

Would love any thoughts from everyone on what they might do to navigate this. I'm considering putting my old wedges back in my bag because I can carry the 54.10 at least 90 yards.

Questions/thoughts that come to mind are:

Were the old wedges set wedges or specialty wedges?

The gaping on the 52-60 seems right.

What wedges are you using?

What was the fitting approach taken?

Why the questions on bounce from your friends. I assume part of the fitting process addressed how you use you wedges.

How far did you hit the old 47/52?

135 pitching wedge is pretty far/high swing speed, what does the rest of your bag gapping look like?

Aside from distance what issues are you having?

Shaft changes?

Need more info.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Would love to know what your delivery numbers are (swing speed, angle of attack, dynamic loft) as well as your launch angle with your wedges.

The information that you provided definitely points to more of a swing flaw (too much dynamic loft) than anything else.  No amount of changing lofts and bounces will fix a bad swing flaw such as presenting too much dynamic loft.

27 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Would love to know what your delivery numbers are (swing speed, angle of attack, dynamic loft) as well as your launch angle with your wedges.

The information that you provided definitely points to more of a swing flaw (too much dynamic loft) than anything else.  No amount of changing lofts and bounces will fix a bad swing flaw such as presenting too much dynamic loft.

Exactly this! Need to be able to look at the impact conditions before looking at the clubs

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Questions/thoughts that come to mind are:

Were the old wedges set wedges or specialty wedges? Old wedges were TaylorMade TP wedges

The gaping on the 52-60 seems right.

What wedges are you using? New wedges are Vokeys - SM7

What was the fitting approach taken? Focus was on gapping within wedges, but I just updated my iron set and went from hitting 110 to 135 with my PW which is exacerbating some of these issues.

Why the questions on bounce from your friends. I assume part of the fitting process addressed how you use you wedges. Their main thoughts were that the higher bounce was encouraging more dynamic loft on the 52.

How far did you hit the old 47/52? The old 47 was ~110  and the 54 was ~90.

135 pitching wedge is pretty far/high swing speed, what does the rest of your bag gapping look like? 18* H - 220, 4I - 205, 5I - 190, 6I - 175, 7I - 165, 8I - 155, 9I - 145, PW - 135

Aside from distance what issues are you having? That's the major issues. I'm not as good around the greens as I was previously, but I think that's more rust than club issues.

Shaft changes? Moved to Project X 6.0 in my irons from S300 in my irons. Still have S300 in my wedges.

Need more info.

Edited by jwlong410

:titelist-small: TSi3 @ 9° w/ Tensei AV White 65         :titelist-small: TSi2 5W @ 14.5° w/ Tensei AV White 75

:taylormade-small: P790 4-7, P760 8-PW w/ Project X 6.0          :vokey-small: 50°, 56°, 60°

:scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport Mid-Slant          :titelist-small: Hybrid 14 Stand Bag          :titelist-small: ProV1

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

I don't have my delivery numbers off-hand. I've struggled with adding dynamic loft (ex-baseball player, have a tendency to flip my wrists) but I've really improved that with my irons. So when I got fit for my new irons, everything was right in line with what you'd normally see. It's possible I'm still adding dynamic loft with my wedges but not my irons?!

In general I'm a high swing speed player (112 with driver, 90+ with irons). Again, not sure of my delivery metrics specifically with wedges - it's been a year since I got fitted for them. I've been having these issues for the last year since I bought them but worked through it because the gap wasn't HUGE (110-70 is more tenable than 135-70), and I spent $450 on the wedges so I was hoping to make it work.

I've also gone through some swing changes in the last year to work on removing that excessive dynamic loft at contact - have seen a lot of success with that on every club in the bag EXCEPT my wedges.

Part of what I'm struggling with is that I used to be an 11 handicap, but after a few years off I've gotten back into golf and now struggle with things that used to be strengths in my game previously.

Edited by jwlong410

4 minutes ago, jwlong410 said:

In general I'm a high swing speed player (112 with driver, 90+ with irons). Again, not sure of my delivery metrics specifically with wedges - it's been a year since I got fitted for them. I've been having these issues for the last year since I bought them but worked through it because the gap wasn't HUGE (110-70 is more tenable than 135-70), and I spent $450 on the wedges so I was hoping to make it work.

I've also gone through some swing changes in the last year to work on removing that excessive dynamic loft at contact - have seen a lot of success with that on every club in the bag EXCEPT my wedges.

Part of what I'm struggling with is that I used to be an 11 handicap, but after a few years off I've gotten back into golf and now struggle with things that used to be strengths in my game previously.

I too went through a struggle of presenting too much loft for awhile - had a stretch of a few months where everything from 9 iron to Gap Wedge seemed to fly 110 yards.  Once I worked through my swing issues, the yardages spread back out and I was back to normal gaps

I think if you can work on fixing dynamic loft in your scoring irons and wedges, then you will see your yardage gaps return to normal

1 minute ago, jlukes said:

I too went through a struggle of presenting too much loft for awhile - had a stretch of a few months where everything from 9 iron to Gap Wedge seemed to fly 110 yards.  Once I worked through my swing issues, the yardages spread back out and I was back to normal gaps

Did it all smooth out at once for you? I was psyched when my iron metrics were in the normal ranges, but now my wedges being out of line really stand out. For reference, here's my 7I metrics before and after my club switch:

Before - Callaway RAZR Tour, S300, Jumbo Grip +4 wraps

7I - 9400 rpm, 21* launch

After - TaylorMade P790/P760, Project X 6.0, Standard + 2 wraps

7I - 7100 rpm, 17* launch

11 minutes ago, jwlong410 said:

Did it all smooth out at once for you? I was psyched when my iron metrics were in the normal ranges, but now my wedges being out of line really stand out. For reference, here's my 7I metrics before and after my club switch:

Before - Callaway RAZR Tour, S300, Jumbo Grip +4 wraps

7I - 9400 rpm, 21* launch

After - TaylorMade P790/P760, Project X 6.0, Standard + 2 wraps

7I - 7100 rpm, 17* launch

Your AFTER 7 iron numbers look great.  Any idea what you are launching with your wedges?  A good rule of thumb with wedges is ideal launch angle is around half of the stated loft.

1 minute ago, jlukes said:

Your AFTER 7 iron numbers look great.  Any idea what you are launching with your wedges?  A good rule of thumb with wedges is ideal launch angle is around half of the stated loft.

I don't know and unfortunately it's unlikely I'll get to hit on a launch monitor any time soon. My guess would be they're signficantly higher than half the loft 😅

2 minutes ago, jwlong410 said:

I don't know and unfortunately it's unlikely I'll get to hit on a launch monitor any time soon. My guess would be they're signficantly higher than half the loft 😅

One thing that has helped me lower my dynamic loft is the Tour Striker Planemate training aid.  Gives you instant feedback the moment you flip your hands through impact and helps given you the proper sensations to maintain the right face angle and rotate properly through impact

10 minutes ago, jlukes said:

One thing that has helped me lower my dynamic loft is the Tour Striker Planemate training aid.  Gives you instant feedback the moment you flip your hands through impact and helps given you the proper sensations to maintain the right face angle and rotate properly through impact

This is super helpful, thank you! I'm going to look into it some more. I'm hoping I can solve my issues without having to replace my wedges for the 2nd year in a row, so I'm eager to dig into this.

I’m would agree that it is probably a swing issue, but with a 7* difference between PW and GW I would expect a big gap but not the size you are seeing. Surprised the game wasn’t bigger with your old wedges.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, jwlong410 said:

@jwlong410 so looking at your gaping (18* H - 220, 4I - 205, 5I - 190, 6I - 175, 7I - 165, 8I - 155, 9I - 145, PW - 135) and your are 90 mph+ with irons and over 110+ with a driver something seems very off to me. As others have mentioned are you presenting to much dynamic loft? yes that could be part of it but at 17deg launch angle + 90mph+ swing speed you should easily be carrying the ball 175+ depending on the loft of your 7i even with those kind of spin numbers... I swing anywhere from 95mph to 100mph+ with a 7i and with 34deg of loft and 16 deg of launch in my T-100 I know my stock shot at 95mph will carry 185 give or take on the environment.

The gaps are correct in theory I go 46/52/56/60... I carry my PW 145 and GW 125 SW 115 LW 105, but I dont take a ton of full shots with the SW/LW....

One thing that could be happening is what is known as shaft deflection. If you swing hard enough with a shaft that can not handle the energy load it will create excessive dynamic loft. 90mph+ is usually always some type of X-flex with most fitters as well and from the sound of it the PX 6.0 is either to soft or you have an early release which does not play well with that shaft...

Also that plane mate thing is pure gold and works fantastic... its expensive but another less expensive aid for release is the power package

Driver:taylormade-small: SIM 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X 

Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 3&4H, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X 

Irons:titelist-small: T-100 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120 X 

Wedges: :mizuno-small: T20, DG TI S400, 50/56/60

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER1.2 W/BGT Stability Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1X-Optic Yellow

Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer

I completely agree with the others above about how working on your swing can make the biggest impact. In the meantime, though, you could bend your 52* wedge to 50*. That will help with the yardage gap and bring the bounce down to 10*. 

Driver: TS3, 9* (C1 setting, surefit cartridge in fade setting)

3/4 Wood: 917D2, 16.5 degrees (D1 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2, 19 degrees (C3 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-Iron (23 degrees); Mizuno MP-18 SC 5-iron(26) and 6-iron(30); Mizuno MP-18 7-iron(34), 8-iron(38), 9-iron(42), and P Wedge(46). Nippon Modus 120x shafts. 1 degree upright.

Wedges: Mizuno S-18 50, 54, and 58 degrees. 50 is 1 degree upright, 54 and 58 are standard lie. Nippon Modus 120x, soft stepped in the 54 and 58.

Putter: Evnroll ER1

Right-handed

Atlanta, GA

On 4/1/2020 at 9:16 AM, jlukes said:

Nailed it. I have a very flat swing and a late release which is great for longer clubs, but really hard to control wedges. I personally fixed it by working with a coach to change my impact conditions, made all the difference. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

On 4/1/2020 at 2:48 PM, jlukes said:

13 hours ago, zrumble said:

Nailed it. I have a very flat swing and a late release which is great for longer clubs, but really hard to control wedges. I personally fixed it by working with a coach to change my impact conditions, made all the difference. 

Guys. Had a little bit of a breakthrough yesterday and appreciate everyone encouraging me to look at the swing vs. the implement (normally an easy choice for me, but this time I had been hitting my short irons so well that it was harder to think that was the cause).

The plane mate is on backorder because of Coronavirus, so I wanted to look for things I could do in the meantime. I decided to modify this chipping drill Padraig Harrington shared for full swings:

After just a handful of swings I was carrying my 52 about 95 yards and hitting some as far as 115. I need to work on consistency and focus on repeating those impact conditions (need that plane mate to take this to the next level) but I'm pretty energized by this. This is the best I've hit my wedges since I was a teenager (already).

Thank you all for your thoughts. I'll keep plugging away at it, but this hasbeen pretty impactful and I'm feeling much more confident when my ball is sitting next to the 100 yd marker.

31 minutes ago, jwlong410 said:

Guys. Had a little bit of a breakthrough yesterday and appreciate everyone encouraging me to look at the swing vs. the implement (normally an easy choice for me, but this time I had been hitting my short irons so well that it was harder to think that was the cause).

The plane mate is on backorder because of Coronavirus, so I wanted to look for things I could do in the meantime. I decided to modify this chipping drill Padraig Harrington shared for full swings:

After just a handful of swings I was carrying my 52 about 95 yards and hitting some as far as 115. I need to work on consistency and focus on repeating those impact conditions (need that plane mate to take this to the next level) but I'm pretty energized by this. This is the best I've hit my wedges since I was a teenager (already).

Thank you all for your thoughts. I'll keep plugging away at it, but this hasbeen pretty impactful and I'm feeling much more confident when my ball is sitting next to the 100 yd marker.

Great to hear man. There's no better time than now to work on your game. 

You can still watch the planemate protocol videos online to get a feeling for different movements 

What's your ball position like compared to your irons? I've found that I'm more consistent with my wedges (54 and 60 in particular) when I play them a little bit further back in my stance and swing at 90%. It seems to help with flighting the ball a bit and avoiding those blow up shots that spin like crazy and go nowhere.  

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 9° w/ GD Tour AD DI-6X

3wd: TaylorMade SIM 15° w/ GD Tour AD DI-7S

2h: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 17° w/ Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

4h: Callaway XR Pro 23 w/ Project X LZ 6.0

5i - PW: Callaway Apex Pro

Wedges: Callaway MD3 50°, Titleist SM8 54° and 58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

20 minutes ago, cwojtowicz said:

What's your ball position like compared to your irons? I've found that I'm more consistent with my wedges (54 and 60 in particular) when I play them a little bit further back in my stance and swing at 90%. It seems to help with flighting the ball a bit and avoiding those blow up shots that spin like crazy and go nowhere.  

I typically play my wedges about 1 ball back from center (including PW) and then up through my set I probbaly put my 4I 1.5 balls forward of center depending on the shot.

What are the loft gaps of the rest of your irons.  Mine are 4 degrees and so I continued with 4 degree gaps in my wedges.  So If you irons are 4 degree gaps I'd go 49/10 f,  53/10 f and 57/8 c grinds.  If your clubs are 5 degree gaps then I would go with 5 degrees.  I get about 12 yard gaps at 4 degrees.

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

My wedges are in five degree gaps.

43, 48, 53º come with the set. (I know; calling a 43º iron a "wedge" is stupid, but that's how it is now.)

I add a low bounce 58.

Progressive gaps are becoming more commonplace than straight 4º gaps with newer models.

My long irons go 20...23...26.

Then up to 4º gaps for 30, 34, 38.

Then five degree gaps at 43, 48, 53, 58.

Of course, they haven't even seen green grass yet, so I've no comment on how it works out.

Edited by RetiredBoomer

8 hours ago, RetiredBoomer said:

Progressive gaps are becoming more commonplace than straight 4º gaps with newer models.

My long irons go 20...23...26.

Then up to 4º gaps for 30, 34, 38.

Then five degree gaps at 43, 48, 53, 58.

Of course, they haven't even seen green grass yet, so I've no comment on how it works out.

The modern loft gaps of 3* long irons, 4* middle irons, and 5* in the scoring clubs does not make sense to me.  Most guys don't get the long irons to gap right and I think this invites larger gaps in the scoring clubs.

Dave

15 hours ago, dthrog00 said:

The modern loft gaps of 3* long irons, 4* middle irons, and 5* in the scoring clubs does not make sense to me.  Most guys don't get the long irons to gap right and I think this invites larger gaps in the scoring clubs.

Dave

You could be right, Dave.  We'll see..... I hope.

Loft increments aside, the modern club number / loft correlations don't make sense to me either, but there's nothing I can do about it.

I've got a 20-53 set which the manufacturer stamps as a 4-iron to second gap wedge set,  but it sure is a 2-PW set to me.

I just ordered the numbered irons ½" long and 2º flat.

I ordered the PW ¼" long and 1½º flat.

I ordered the 48 and 53º gap wedges the standard 35½" length and 1º flat.

Presto!  Old school 2-PW set like I could have bought in 1965 but with a little tech added on.  

GPS will tell me how well the progressive rather than lineal loft increments  work out for me... if I ever get on a golf course to find out.

8 hours ago, RetiredBoomer said:

You could be right, Dave.  We'll see..... I hope.

Loft increments aside, the modern club number / loft correlations don't make sense to me either, but there's nothing I can do about it.

I've got a 20-53 set which the manufacturer stamps as a 4-iron to second gap wedge set,  but it sure is a 2-PW set to me.

I just ordered the numbered irons ½" long and 2º flat.

I ordered the PW ¼" long and 1½º flat.

I ordered the 48 and 53º gap wedges the standard 35½" length and 1º flat.

Presto!  Old school 2-PW set like I could have bought in 1965 but with a little tech added on.  

GPS will tell me how well the progressive rather than lineal loft increments  work out for me... if I ever get on a golf course to find out.

Hopefully what you have will work out great.  

Dave

On 4/6/2020 at 12:37 AM, Mackdaddy9 said:

What are the loft gaps of the rest of your irons.  Mine are 4 degrees and so I continued with 4 degree gaps in my wedges.  So If you irons are 4 degree gaps I'd go 49/10 f,  53/10 f and 57/8 c grinds.  If your clubs are 5 degree gaps then I would go with 5 degrees.  I get about 12 yard gaps at 4 degrees.

I'm working on an unofficial review for my new iron set, but figured I'd share this here as well. See the image below for the lofts and yardages (note: yardages are a bit of a moving target, still figuring those out as I got my irons in early March and haven't been able to hit them much yet).

image.thumb.png.823fab0f197d213feb0579f7a9a2fc33.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/3/2020 at 10:03 AM, jlukes said:

Great to hear man. There's no better time than now to work on your game. 

You can still watch the planemate protocol videos online to get a feeling for different movements 

Planemate came today!

Honestly though, your second post about the videos was great. With this on backorder I went through the protocols with no belt and my ballstriking is demonstrably better than 2 weeks ago. Thank you so much for the tip!

IMG_20200501_161451.jpg

21 minutes ago, jwlong410 said:

Planemate came today!

Honestly though, your second post about the videos was great. With this on backorder I went through the protocols with no belt and my ballstriking is demonstrably better than 2 weeks ago. Thank you so much for the tip!

IMG_20200501_161451.jpg

Awesome dude! Still loving mine! 

It sounds like you got it fixed but since no one has mentioned it, my shafts in my wedges (54* and 58*) are different than my irons.  I do the 8 iron spinner trick, I use the 8 iron shaft 1 flex stiffer than my irons.  So if you use Project X 6.0 in your irons you would install Project X 6.5 8 iron shaft in your wedges.  It has helped me control trajectory and spin so much better, because spin and trajectory are better so is distance control.  Just something to keep in mind.  

The only other thing that stands out to me is the gapping from PW to GW, that seems a little big.  I would have rather seen you go PW, 50* then 54* or 56* and then to the 60*

Ping G425 LST 10.5* - Rogue White 130

Ping G425 LST 14.5 - Rogue White 130

TaylorMade SIM 19* Tensei Pro White

Srixon ZX5 4&5 iron Modus 120

Srixon ZX7 6-AW Modus 120

Vokey SM8 54* 60* Modus 125 wedge

EvnRoll ER5B