Jump to content

Wedge Setup - Need Help!


jwlong410
 Share

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, cwojtowicz said:

What's your ball position like compared to your irons? I've found that I'm more consistent with my wedges (54 and 60 in particular) when I play them a little bit further back in my stance and swing at 90%. It seems to help with flighting the ball a bit and avoiding those blow up shots that spin like crazy and go nowhere.  

I typically play my wedges about 1 ball back from center (including PW) and then up through my set I probbaly put my 4I 1.5 balls forward of center depending on the shot.

:titelist-small: TS4 @ 9.5° w/ EvenFlow White 85         :titelist-small: TS3 3W @ 13.5° w/ EvenFlow White 75          :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

:taylormade-small: P790 4-7, P760 8-PW w/ Project X 6.0          :vokey-small: 52°, 56°, 60°

:scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport Mid-Slant          :titelist-small: Hybrid 14 Stand Bag          :titelist-small: -ProV1x (Left Dash)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What are the loft gaps of the rest of your irons.  Mine are 4 degrees and so I continued with 4 degree gaps in my wedges.  So If you irons are 4 degree gaps I'd go 49/10 f,  53/10 f and 57/8 c grinds.  If your clubs are 5 degree gaps then I would go with 5 degrees.  I get about 12 yard gaps at 4 degrees.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 * Accra Tour Z TZ6 55 M3 pure 

Fairways: Callaway Maverick 15*  Accra FX 2.0-100F M3 pure  

Hybrid: Callaway Maverick 4&5 Hybrids Accra FX 2.0-100H60 M3 pure  

Irons:  PXG Gen 3 0311 P 6-P  Fujikura Pro 75 pure

Wedges: Renegar RxF  50*,54* & 58*

Chipper: Cleveland Smart Sole C 46*  Great for just off the greens in the rough 

Putter: Positive Putter's custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Pro V1, Left Dot if I can get them

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My wedges are in five degree gaps.

43, 48, 53º come with the set. (I know; calling a 43º iron a "wedge" is stupid, but that's how it is now.)

I add a low bounce 58.

Progressive gaps are becoming more commonplace than straight 4º gaps with newer models.

My long irons go 20...23...26.

Then up to 4º gaps for 30, 34, 38.

Then five degree gaps at 43, 48, 53, 58.

Of course, they haven't even seen green grass yet, so I've no comment on how it works out.

 

 

Edited by RetiredBoomer
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, RetiredBoomer said:

Progressive gaps are becoming more commonplace than straight 4º gaps with newer models.

My long irons go 20...23...26.

Then up to 4º gaps for 30, 34, 38.

Then five degree gaps at 43, 48, 53, 58.

Of course, they haven't even seen green grass yet, so I've no comment on how it works out.

 

 

The modern loft gaps of 3* long irons, 4* middle irons, and 5* in the scoring clubs does not make sense to me.  Most guys don't get the long irons to gap right and I think this invites larger gaps in the scoring clubs.

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, dthrog00 said:

The modern loft gaps of 3* long irons, 4* middle irons, and 5* in the scoring clubs does not make sense to me.  Most guys don't get the long irons to gap right and I think this invites larger gaps in the scoring clubs.

Dave

 

You could be right, Dave.  We'll see..... I hope.

Loft increments aside, the modern club number / loft correlations don't make sense to me either, but there's nothing I can do about it.

I've got a 20-53 set which the manufacturer stamps as a 4-iron to second gap wedge set,  but it sure is a 2-PW set to me.

I just ordered the numbered irons ½" long and 2º flat.

I ordered the PW ¼" long and 1½º flat.

I ordered the 48 and 53º gap wedges the standard 35½" length and 1º flat.

Presto!  Old school 2-PW set like I could have bought in 1965 but with a little tech added on.  

 

GPS will tell me how well the progressive rather than lineal loft increments  work out for me... if I ever get on a golf course to find out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, RetiredBoomer said:

 

You could be right, Dave.  We'll see..... I hope.

Loft increments aside, the modern club number / loft correlations don't make sense to me either, but there's nothing I can do about it.

I've got a 20-53 set which the manufacturer stamps as a 4-iron to second gap wedge set,  but it sure is a 2-PW set to me.

I just ordered the numbered irons ½" long and 2º flat.

I ordered the PW ¼" long and 1½º flat.

I ordered the 48 and 53º gap wedges the standard 35½" length and 1º flat.

Presto!  Old school 2-PW set like I could have bought in 1965 but with a little tech added on.  

 

GPS will tell me how well the progressive rather than lineal loft increments  work out for me... if I ever get on a golf course to find out.

Hopefully what you have will work out great.  

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/6/2020 at 12:37 AM, Mackdaddy9 said:

What are the loft gaps of the rest of your irons.  Mine are 4 degrees and so I continued with 4 degree gaps in my wedges.  So If you irons are 4 degree gaps I'd go 49/10 f,  53/10 f and 57/8 c grinds.  If your clubs are 5 degree gaps then I would go with 5 degrees.  I get about 12 yard gaps at 4 degrees.

I'm working on an unofficial review for my new iron set, but figured I'd share this here as well. See the image below for the lofts and yardages (note: yardages are a bit of a moving target, still figuring those out as I got my irons in early March and haven't been able to hit them much yet).

image.thumb.png.823fab0f197d213feb0579f7a9a2fc33.png

:titelist-small: TS4 @ 9.5° w/ EvenFlow White 85         :titelist-small: TS3 3W @ 13.5° w/ EvenFlow White 75          :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

:taylormade-small: P790 4-7, P760 8-PW w/ Project X 6.0          :vokey-small: 52°, 56°, 60°

:scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport Mid-Slant          :titelist-small: Hybrid 14 Stand Bag          :titelist-small: -ProV1x (Left Dash)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/3/2020 at 10:03 AM, jlukes said:

Great to hear man. There's no better time than now to work on your game. 

You can still watch the planemate protocol videos online to get a feeling for different movements 

Planemate came today!

 

Honestly though, your second post about the videos was great. With this on backorder I went through the protocols with no belt and my ballstriking is demonstrably better than 2 weeks ago. Thank you so much for the tip!

IMG_20200501_161451.jpg

  • Like 2

:titelist-small: TS4 @ 9.5° w/ EvenFlow White 85         :titelist-small: TS3 3W @ 13.5° w/ EvenFlow White 75          :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

:taylormade-small: P790 4-7, P760 8-PW w/ Project X 6.0          :vokey-small: 52°, 56°, 60°

:scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport Mid-Slant          :titelist-small: Hybrid 14 Stand Bag          :titelist-small: -ProV1x (Left Dash)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, jwlong410 said:

Planemate came today!

 

Honestly though, your second post about the videos was great. With this on backorder I went through the protocols with no belt and my ballstriking is demonstrably better than 2 weeks ago. Thank you so much for the tip!

IMG_20200501_161451.jpg

Awesome dude! Still loving mine! 

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* Tour AD DI 6X

:ping-small: G425 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X

:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X

:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 - Tour AD 95X

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW OBAN CT 115X(-)

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 52F - 58D

:ping-small: ChipR

:ping-small: PLD Milled Anser 2

:titelist-small: ProV1

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It sounds like you got it fixed but since no one has mentioned it, my shafts in my wedges (54* and 58*) are different than my irons.  I do the 8 iron spinner trick, I use the 8 iron shaft 1 flex stiffer than my irons.  So if you use Project X 6.0 in your irons you would install Project X 6.5 8 iron shaft in your wedges.  It has helped me control trajectory and spin so much better, because spin and trajectory are better so is distance control.  Just something to keep in mind.  

The only other thing that stands out to me is the gapping from PW to GW, that seems a little big.  I would have rather seen you go PW, 50* then 54* or 56* and then to the 60*

Ping G425 LST 10.5* - Rogue White 130

Ping G425 LST 14.5 - Rogue White 130

TaylorMade SIM 19* Tensei Pro White

Srixon ZX5 4&5 iron Modus 120

Srixon ZX7 6-AW Modus 120

Vokey SM8 54* 60* Modus 125 wedge

EvnRoll ER5B

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 7 degree gapping between the 45* PW and then 52* wedge seems off to me.  If it were me, I would have gone 45*, 50*, 55* (a 56* bent to 55*), and 60*.  It may not seem like much, but 2 degrees can make a big difference.

  • Like 2

Cobra Speedzone 9.0*, Graphite Design Tour AD-MT 6x shaft

Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour 14.5* 3 wood, Graphite Design Tour AD-GT 7x shaft

Titleist TS2 19* hybrid, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95x Hybrid shaft

Mizuno MP20 HMB 3 iron, KBS $-Taper 120 shaft

Srixon Z565 4 iron, Srizon Z765 5 iron - PW,KBS C-Taper 120 shaft

Callaway MD5 Jaws 50*/10 S grind

Callaway Jaws Full Toe 56*

Scotty Cameron Futura 5w

Srixon Z-Star XV balls

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 should be going at least 100 for you. 

  • Like 1

EDEL SMS WEDGE TESTER

  • Driver: :ping-small: G400 MAX
  • Woods::cobra-small: F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: :cobra-small: F7 Hybrid AD DI 95s
  • Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 50, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter:   :odyssey-small: White Hot OG 2 ball 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Lots of others have hit this on the head - the 7 degree gap between 45 and 52 makes no sense, and the distance you get from the 52 also makes no sense. I would recommend trying to get the same shaft that you have in the pitching wedge into your wedges -or- add a matching shaft set gap wedge -or- find a wedge shaft that you can put a full swing into.

One of the things I’ve learned is that it’s not always equipment that needs adjusted. If you are out of whack and can’t make sense of it, go see a teaching pro!


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lots of others have hit this on the head - the 7 degree gap between 45 and 52 makes no sense, and the distance you get from the 52 also makes no sense. I would recommend trying to get the same shaft that you have in the pitching wedge into your wedges -or- add a matching shaft set gap wedge -or- find a wedge shaft that you can put a full swing into.

One of the things I’ve learned is that it’s not always equipment that needs adjusted. If you are out of whack and can’t make sense of it, go see a teaching pro!


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...