Jump to content
GolfSpy STUDque

Say 'Hello' to the Recruit Group

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

Just started using and looking into the Forum.  Great topics and ideas

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is, frankly, brilliant.  I'm on a few photography forums, and inevitably the "this has already been asked 1,472 times" responses to every noob question are exhausting and intimidating. 

Such a weird time to be a golfer and yet have no access to actually pursue it (I'm in SoCal, where all courses are locked down, and can't afford (SO sadly) any kind of at-home option - if any of you know how to convince the wife to spend, say, 10k on a fully-functioning simulator with GC Quad, by all means, let me know 😉 ).

Grateful to have this as an outlet and learning center both while in lockdown and also for the future. 

Can we all just take a small moment and bow our heads at the pitiful timing of me buying my first set of fitted irons (Sim Max 4-PW) literally days before the entire country goes into lockdown? 

 

Thank you.  Amen.

 

😉

 

-Swanson

  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been here since Feb 12, and still a recruit. But, I'll get it done soon. Much more time on my hands these days. See? We have something in common besides Golf. LOL

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jondough said:

This is, frankly, brilliant.  I'm on a few photography forums, and inevitably the "this has already been asked 1,472 times" responses to every noob question are exhausting and intimidating. 

Such a weird time to be a golfer and yet have no access to actually pursue it (I'm in SoCal, where all courses are locked down, and can't afford (SO sadly) any kind of at-home option - if any of you know how to convince the wife to spend, say, 10k on a fully-functioning simulator with GC Quad, by all means, let me know 😉 ).

Grateful to have this as an outlet and learning center both while in lockdown and also for the future. 

Can we all just take a small moment and bow our heads at the pitiful timing of me buying my first set of fitted irons (Sim Max 4-PW) literally days before the entire country goes into lockdown? 

 

Thank you.  Amen.

 

😉

 

-Swanson

But you already know how. You "con"vinced her to marry YOU, of all people. LOL

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mdgboxx said:

But you already know how. You "con"vinced her to marry YOU, of all people. LOL

...she's been talking about me on here in advance of my arrival, hasn't she? DAMMIT SHE'S GOOD. 🙂

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I’m looking forward to becoming a regular poster to the forum and getting new know my way around. I have lots of questions around new tech in the industry in equipment, launch monitors, etc. so hoping to gather a lot of great information here and being able to do some equipment testing at some point!!

Thanks all.

JS

Edited by HitZ Ithaca
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of sucks to have this tacked on as a requirement after signing up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also another suggestion for those in the recruit group is make a WITB thread. I've seen a few more pop up which is great.

Great way to introduce yourself and show off your sticks. 

I did my original one in 2017 and keep updating changes there. Can be a bit intimidating at first, but we have an amazing group here who are genuine and love golf. 

Finally what better do we have to do then polish up those beautiful clubs and take some photos of to show off... I'm sure the like goal would be accomplished in no time!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good idea Stud


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jondough said:

 

Such a weird time to be a golfer and yet have no access to actually pursue it (I'm in SoCal, where all courses are locked down, and can't afford (SO sadly) any kind of at-home option - if any of you know how to convince the wife to spend, say, 10k on a fully-functioning simulator with GC Quad, by all means, let me know 😉 ).

While we all want to practice full swing,  you can easily work on putting and if you have a backyard work on chipping and pitching.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OsoBear said:

Kind of sucks to have this tacked on as a requirement after signing up.

@GolfSpy MPR nailed it in his comments from the previous page; 

For those who have found themselves with the "recruit" status and are puzzled, I'd like to give you a little more insight into how we're trying to help you.

Obviously, there are a ton of members here who were initially drawn to the forum by the club reviewing opportunities. I was certainly one of them: if you go back to the beginning of my posting history here, you'll see a dozen or so review application posts before I started contributing to other discussions.

I'm gonna level with you: those who have no posting history or have only ever posted in the review application threads have virtually no chance of being chosen for testing. It's something we try to make very clear: these aren't "contests" that members "win." These are not random draws. Why?

As we wrote in the FAQ, we have to take these reviews seriously. Consider the recent review opportunities from PING and Titleist. Each of these OEMs is offering the equivalent of $4,000+ in new irons for free to our members. They're doing it 1) because they believe that their product can stand up to this scrutiny and 2) because they want to get eyeballs on their product.

Every so often, we pick someone for a review, they get their gear and then they disappear, never to be heard from again. Or we get someone who gets their clubs and clearly mails in the review. This is frustrating to the OEMs and a major black eye for our forum. As moderators, it is on us to minimize the likelihood of that happening.

So when we're picking reviewers, we're obviously looking for guys and gals who are a good fit for the product. But we're also looking for members with a track record of quality posts in the forum that have added value to the discussions here. We're looking for people who've demonstrated the skills to do the reviews: solid writing, clear thinking, the ability to take a quality picture. We're looking for members who model the community spirit that makes this forum special.

It's always been the case that members without this track record are eliminated pretty early in the process of narrowing down the applications. I hope that from what I've just written, you can understand the reasoning for that.

By creating the "Recruit" status, we're just aiming to be even more upfront and transparent about this. We've had posts on the forum literally for years explaining how to get chosen for reviews; none of this was ever hidden before (here's one from seven years ago). But by putting this speed bump up in a really unavoidable way, we're staying true to the #TruthDigest mission of MyGolfSpy: everything out in the open, nothing done in the dark.

Our hope is that by making this clear, we'll encourage more of you to join in the discussion here. We believe firmly that this is the greatest golf forum on earth and we want to keep our great community while welcoming new members to become part of what has been built here.

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello to the group. Look forward to keeping up with what is happening around the world in this trying time.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[mention=58668]GolfSpy MPR[/mention] nailed it in his comments from the previous page; 

For those who have found themselves with the "recruit" status and are puzzled, I'd like to give you a little more insight into how we're trying to help you.

Obviously, there are a ton of members here who were initially drawn to the forum by the club reviewing opportunities. I was certainly one of them: if you go back to the beginning of my posting history here, you'll see a dozen or so review application posts before I started contributing to other discussions.

I'm gonna level with you: those who have no posting history or have only ever posted in the review application threads have virtually no chance of being chosen for testing. It's something we try to make very clear: these aren't "contests" that members "win." These are not random draws. Why?

As we wrote in the FAQ, we have to take these reviews seriously. Consider the recent review opportunities from PING and Titleist. Each of these OEMs is offering the equivalent of $4,000+ in new irons for free to our members. They're doing it 1) because they believe that their product can stand up to this scrutiny and 2) because they want to get eyeballs on their product.

Every so often, we pick someone for a review, they get their gear and then they disappear, never to be heard from again. Or we get someone who gets their clubs and clearly mails in the review. This is frustrating to the OEMs and a major black eye for our forum. As moderators, it is on us to minimize the likelihood of that happening.

So when we're picking reviewers, we're obviously looking for guys and gals who are a good fit for the product. But we're also looking for members with a track record of quality posts in the forum that have added value to the discussions here. We're looking for people who've demonstrated the skills to do the reviews: solid writing, clear thinking, the ability to take a quality picture. We're looking for members who model the community spirit that makes this forum special.

It's always been the case that members without this track record are eliminated pretty early in the process of narrowing down the applications. I hope that from what I've just written, you can understand the reasoning for that.

By creating the "Recruit" status, we're just aiming to be even more upfront and transparent about this. We've had posts on the forum literally for years explaining how to get chosen for reviews; none of this was ever hidden before (here's one from seven years ago). But by putting this speed bump up in a really unavoidable way, we're staying true to the #TruthDigest mission of MyGolfSpy: everything out in the open, nothing done in the dark.

Our hope is that by making this clear, we'll encourage more of you to join in the discussion here. We believe firmly that this is the greatest golf forum on earth and we want to keep our great community while welcoming new members to become part of what has been built here.

 
 

Yup, can’t spell it out any better than that.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, OsoBear said:

Kind of sucks to have this tacked on as a requirement after signing up.

Those that want to be here for the golf chat and experience won’t be bothered by the requirements and will embrace the forum and being an active member and those who only signed up to get some free gear will disappear with or without these requirements.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'glad to be aboard.  I have 'lurked' around your site for some time and appreciate your reviews & new product information.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dal said:

'glad to be aboard.  I have 'lurked' around your site for some time and appreciate your reviews & new product information.

Welcome. Great forum and great group. Look forward to seeing what you have to say as well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rickp said:


Yup, can’t spell it out any better than that.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Sounds fair enough.  anything that is spelled out clearly and applied equitably establishes good working rapport and strengthens the group.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

@GolfSpy MPR nailed it in his comments from the previous page; 

For those who have found themselves with the "recruit" status and are puzzled, I'd like to give you a little more insight into how we're trying to help you.

Obviously, there are a ton of members here who were initially drawn to the forum by the club reviewing opportunities. I was certainly one of them: if you go back to the beginning of my posting history here, you'll see a dozen or so review application posts before I started contributing to other discussions.

I'm gonna level with you: those who have no posting history or have only ever posted in the review application threads have virtually no chance of being chosen for testing. It's something we try to make very clear: these aren't "contests" that members "win." These are not random draws. Why?

As we wrote in the FAQ, we have to take these reviews seriously. Consider the recent review opportunities from PING and Titleist. Each of these OEMs is offering the equivalent of $4,000+ in new irons for free to our members. They're doing it 1) because they believe that their product can stand up to this scrutiny and 2) because they want to get eyeballs on their product.

Every so often, we pick someone for a review, they get their gear and then they disappear, never to be heard from again. Or we get someone who gets their clubs and clearly mails in the review. This is frustrating to the OEMs and a major black eye for our forum. As moderators, it is on us to minimize the likelihood of that happening.

So when we're picking reviewers, we're obviously looking for guys and gals who are a good fit for the product. But we're also looking for members with a track record of quality posts in the forum that have added value to the discussions here. We're looking for people who've demonstrated the skills to do the reviews: solid writing, clear thinking, the ability to take a quality picture. We're looking for members who model the community spirit that makes this forum special.

It's always been the case that members without this track record are eliminated pretty early in the process of narrowing down the applications. I hope that from what I've just written, you can understand the reasoning for that.

By creating the "Recruit" status, we're just aiming to be even more upfront and transparent about this. We've had posts on the forum literally for years explaining how to get chosen for reviews; none of this was ever hidden before (here's one from seven years ago). But by putting this speed bump up in a really unavoidable way, we're staying true to the #TruthDigest mission of MyGolfSpy: everything out in the open, nothing done in the dark.

Our hope is that by making this clear, we'll encourage more of you to join in the discussion here. We believe firmly that this is the greatest golf forum on earth and we want to keep our great community while welcoming new members to become part of what has been built here.

 

 

Well said @tony@CIC great thought response. Unfortunately there are those that just want the free-bees. I have been on the site for a year now and just recently got involved. I joined and just watched for a while. The site is great and there is a lot involved in posting, signatures and getting familiar with who is who on the site (not to mention badges etc.) if you are willing to learn the in's and out's of the sites that is key to productive and informative posting, which you need for a good and thought out review on a product that people are actually going to take and utilize in their decision for equipment, its the least you can do for getting something for free.

I think I speak for everyone this it not a "scarlett letter" but just a good addition to a site to assist mediators/admins in producing good forums/reviews. Thank you MGS.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Apolloshowl said:

Also another suggestion for those in the recruit group is make a WITB thread. I've seen a few more pop up which is great.

Great way to introduce yourself and show off your sticks. 

I did my original one in 2017 and keep updating changes there. Can be a bit intimidating at first, but we have an amazing group here who are genuine and love golf. 

Finally what better do we have to do then polish up those beautiful clubs and take some photos of to show off... I'm sure the like goal would be accomplished in no time!

Definitely WITB and introduce yourself in your region best areas to start. I will be updating my WITB within the week, cant wait for the new sticks!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...