jlbarbour

Raleigh, NC Golf Recommendations

Our Sponsors

Hey everyone, 

Little background here...just picked up golf about 8ish months ago and I’ve played a couple courses in the Raleigh area such as RGA, Lonnie Poole, Reedy Creek, Riverwood, The Neuse, Falls Village, and Lochmere. 

For any Spies in the area, do you have any recommendations for other courses to try out? I’m always down to play somewhere new and don’t mind traveling anywhere less than an hour from Raleigh. 

Just wanted to see if there’s some hidden gems somewhere that I’m missing out on!

Check out pine Hollow, river Ridge and the Neuse. Eagle Ridge is also a good track. 

• Like 1

My bag is a revolving door!

2 hours ago, 03trdblack said:

Check out pine Hollow, river Ridge and the Neuse. Eagle Ridge is also a good track. 

I’ll have to check them out. Thanks!

The weird thing about Raleigh for me is that there are lots of courses I play but few that I would recommend. Most public courses are just IK and often expensive on the weekends. I live in NW Raleigh (I-540 & Leesville Rd) and work in RTP so it’s not uncommon for me to play Wildwood Green, Falls Village, The Crossings,Hillandale. But I can’t say any are great. FV and The Crossings are really cheap during the week. Hope some others post some suggestions. I agree about The Neuse and Eagle Ridge being good.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Within an hour, you can get to the Pinehurst area.  I'd highly recommend checking out the Pinehurst coures, plus pine needles and mid-pines.

Also, Tobacco Road is fun track.  Mike Stranz built a challenging track in the middle of nowhere.

Handicap 12

Driver:  TaylorMade M3 Fuji Speed Shaft R Flex

3-Wood: TaylorMade M3 Fuji Speed Shaft R Flex

Hybrids:  TaylorMade GAPR Mid, GAPR Hi

Irons:    TaylorMade P-790 5-PW, Oban Shafts, R+ Flex

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 56 Full Grind, Oban shafts, Cleveland RTX 60, Mid Grind, Oban Shaft

Putter:  Odyssey DF-550

Wildwood Green is a goat track and overpriced.  Don't waste your time or money.  I played the Crossings this past weekend and it was in decent shape but they are still running bent grass greens and are keeping them VERY shaggy to avoid them burning out or getting patchy.  Most courses in the area have switched over to a Bermuda type green that is basically bullet proof in the heat and high traffic.

• Like 3

My bag is a revolving door!

I'll give another rec for Tobacco Road.  

• Like 2

Driver:  :callaway-small: XR16 10.5* (set to 9.5*), MRC KuroKage TiNi Black, S-flex

3 wood:  :ping-small: G410, Alta 65 S-flex

Hybrid:  :ping-small: G400 22*, Alta CB 70 S-flex

Irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX-900, Proj X LZ 6.0

Wedges:  Maltby M-Series+ 54/10 & 58/8

Putter:  :bettinardi-small: HM2, 34"

On 4/1/2020 at 6:00 PM, jlbarbour said:

Hey everyone, 

Little background here...just picked up golf about 8ish months ago and I’ve played a couple courses in the Raleigh area such as RGA, Lonnie Poole, Reedy Creek, Riverwood, The Neuse, Falls Village, and Lochmere. 

For any Spies in the area, do you have any recommendations for other courses to try out? I’m always down to play somewhere new and don’t mind traveling anywhere less than an hour from Raleigh. 

Just wanted to see if there’s some hidden gems somewhere that I’m missing out on!

I'm in Durham and a member at The Preserve at Jordan Lake, which is a pretty tight track but you can usually get a good deal for public play. The same ownership has The Golf Club at Chapel Ridge (which I also really enjoy) as well as Falls Village (not my favorite track, but included in membership, soooooo...)

In no particular order, I would also check out The Heritage in Wake Forest, Tot Hill Farm in Asheboro (a Mike Stranz track that is MUCH cheaper than Tobacco Road and, IMHO, just as fun), and both of the other university courses: UNC Finley in Chapel Hill and Duke University in Durham. The university tracks can be a little spendy, but it's fairly easy to find a deal for Finley (GroupGolfer, GolfNow, Groupon) and twilight at Duke is worth it.

If you enjoyed RGA and that's a good price point for you, Occoneechee in Hillsborough is a similar track, but it's definitely not going to make the top of anyone else's list for the area 🙂

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Subzero 9* loft with HZDRUS Smoke stiff
3 wood: :ping-small: Rapture 14* with Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff
2-hybrid: :taylormade-small: GAPR Lo with stock KBS Hybrid 80g stiff
4i-PW: :ping-small: i210 blue dot, Power Spec, with TT S300 hard stepped
50*, 54*, and 58*: :mizuno-small: blue ion S18 with TT wedge
Putter: :ping-small: Redwood Piper 0*

Ball: :srixon-small: Z STAR XV
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :Arccos: to keep track of my shots
All clubs RH

Play Tobacco Road, go a bit further and head into Pinehurst and play Mid South, Dormie if you can (need to do a package for it) and Mid Pines.  There are tons in the Pinehurst area that are amazing! 

• Like 1

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

3 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  5-PW :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged w/ Modus 120 xstiff

Wedges:   :titelist-small: SM6 56* F grind, 52* M grind

Putter:  :bettinardi-1: Studio Stock #3

Several replies mentioning Tobacco Road- it’s fantastic. Little further away but on that Stranz line is Tot Hill, one of my favorites. As far as Raleigh area, I really like all of the university courses, though they can get expensive. On the more affordable side and still good side are courses like the Neuse, River Ridge, Lochmere, and Heritage. Shoot me a message if you’re looking for a game, always looking for new people to play with!

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 1:54 PM, 03trdblack said:

Wildwood Green is a goat track and overpriced.  Don't waste your time or money.  I played the Crossings this past weekend and it was in decent shape but they are still running bent grass greens and are keeping them VERY shaggy to avoid them burning out or getting patchy.  Most courses in the area have switched over to a Bermuda type green that is basically bullet proof in the heat and high traffic.

You are right about Wildwood being overpriced.  I actually like a lot of the holes but it never seems to be in very good shape.  Twice recently I've walked The Crossings after 4 on a weekday for $12.  Falls Village is actually in decent shape this year (except the sand traps which are not good, we just drop out of them).  Last year it was bad.  Those 3 courses are all pretty close to my house (540/Leesville).  The Preserve is fun if I'm hitting the ball well, if not it's tough.  I did play Chapel Ridge a few week ago for the first time in about a decade.  I liked it and hope to go back soon. 

Some of the courses mentioned are great but expensive: the 3 university courses, Heritage.

Last week I played a course in Durham called Umstead Pines.  Old course but I enjoyed it.  Walked for something like $24.

• Like 1

It’s been years since I played at Duke and UNC-Finley, but was very impressed with both.    I used to have an annual trip to a Pinehurst and we usually flew into Raleigh instead of Charlotte.     The first 18 of the trip was always played in Raleigh before we headed south for Pinehurst.

Another vote for Tobacco Road here too!   

B688DF5A-64F2-4458-9F89-0A46FCA158E5.jpeg.9e03dcd69804a01abaaba7db20951412.jpeg Epic Flash 9* driver, 15* & 18* FW - Tenesi Blue

B688DF5A-64F2-4458-9F89-0A46FCA158E5.jpeg.9e03dcd69804a01abaaba7db20951412.jpeg Rogue Pro irons, 4 - PW - XP 105 step less

E48FCEDB-7CB2-455D-B79C-A09E5E4DD8E8.jpeg.6f56ca25e84b22e68eadbf7d517f80f9.jpeg CBX wedges, 50*, 54*, & 58*

667BCD76-5E27-4520-935E-2393ECCE50C0.gif.b45db47d20556c103d5e95dbd0250552.gif ER-7 putter full mallet putter

titelist-small.jpg.7dd4b8e6888262ae48499900f4dbc212.jpg ProV1x

default_footjoy-small.gif.bdead8252896a43bc422392c3a476507.gif gloves & shoes

F82442B4-4D4D-4D9F-B2F5-57FC08A04453.jpeg.53c9af75c2c00f834d916af1ddb1526e.jpeg 3.5 LS stand bag