TESTERS WANTED! ×

Toe Hang Blade Putter Advice

zrumble

On 4/2/2020 at 11:24 AM, cnosil said:

Gonna have to disagree with you on that. I agree more toe hang causes the the toe to lag behind as the stroke starts and people react to the feel. Face balanced putters, center shaft generally excluded, are a different animal. They resist rotation and don’t close faster; they try to remain pointing in the same direction; they don’t want to rotate open or closed.

I watched the video and Ian doesn’t discuss face balanced.

I need a putter that stays open to correct my left miss so I go with more toe hang or less weight.

A face balanced putter will have a lower rotational MOI than a toe hang putter. You can just pick up both styles of putter and twist them in your hand. You will be able to  tell that the face balanced putter is easier to twist. This I because there is less of a moment arm created between the shaft extention line and the COG of the putter head.

Face balanced putters will be easier to release, thus increasing the rate of rotation of the face with same torque applied than will a toe hang putter. It's science not an opinion. 

On 11/20/2020 at 8:50 AM, BubbaBallesteros said:
A face balanced putter will have a lower rotational MOI than a toe hang putter. You can just pick up both styles of putter and twist them in your hand. You will be able to  tell that the face balanced putter is easier to twist. This I because there is less of a moment arm created between the shaft extention line and the COG of the putter head.
Face balanced putters will be easier to release, thus increasing the rate of rotation of the face with same torque applied than will a toe hang putter. It's science not an opinion. 

Don’t disagree. If you are applying force to the face balanced putter or any putter with low rotational MOI it should be easier to close. If you are just swinging the putter it tries to stay square to the path.  You also have to consider that some putters are forced to be face balanced based on how the hosel is designed. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2020 at 4:24 PM, cnosil said:

Don’t disagree. If you are applying force to the face balanced putter or any putter with low rotational MOI it should be easier to close. If you are just swinging the putter it tries to stay square to the path.  You also have to consider that some putters are forced to be face balanced based on how the hosel is designed. 

The hosel design is what sets the shaft extension line, so if we use the same head (constant COG) the hosel is the only thing that determines toe hang... You are rotating the club face during your swing, so you are just swinging the putter. There is movement in a few planes and axis. 

If the shaft extension line is closer to the hosel this means more toe hang because of the in increased moment arm and less toe hang the closer it get to the CoG. I can send you some material if you want to look into it more. 

• 1 month later...

Rebooting this thread because im curious about the contradictory information. More toe hang seems at first glance to want to leave the face open at impact but then i came across this:

77DECCC9-9300-465E-8382-DF31183BC2F5.jpeg.1fe0720f953ea1cfe12c2e306dfbe11f.jpeg

Totally opposite of some common “suggestions”

I typically take my putter outside my arc and struggle with pushes, or an open face, and according to scotty cameron, i would need more toe hang, the opposite of what i thought....

so why is this? One theory i kind of have is, everyone says the putter with more toe hang has more torque and will want to open when transitioning from back stroke to forward. But i think it also helps keep the face closed on the backstroke, because of the same torque like forces are applied from address to starting the backstroke... if that makes sense? Hmm..

Interesting. The less “toe flow” the more likely I am to hit pulls personally with a closed face and in to out stroke. My medium toe flow ER2 reduces the pulls, do hit a couple pushes. Still have an in to out stroke...

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

8 hours ago, Moose4282 said:

Rebooting this thread because im curious about the contradictory information. More toe hang seems at first glance to want to leave the face open at impact but then i came across this:

77DECCC9-9300-465E-8382-DF31183BC2F5.jpeg.1fe0720f953ea1cfe12c2e306dfbe11f.jpeg

Totally opposite of some common “suggestions”

I typically take my putter outside my arc and struggle with pushes, or an open face, and according to scotty cameron, i would need more toe hang, the opposite of what i thought....

so why is this? One theory i kind of have is, everyone says the putter with more toe hang has more torque and will want to open when transitioning from back stroke to forward. But i think it also helps keep the face closed on the backstroke, because of the same torque like forces are applied from address to starting the backstroke... if that makes sense? Hmm..

The graphic is scientifically incorrect 

4 minutes ago, jlukes said:

The graphic is scientifically incorrect 

Its from scottys website. I believe odyssey has the same theory. What about reacting to the toe hang? A player feels that toe wanting to open, therefore is more likely to rotate it. If im opening up a face balanced putter, i may not be able to “feel” it, there for i never rotate it closed? Its an interesting topic. 

Its from scottys website. I believe odyssey has the same theory. What about reacting to the toe hang? A player feels that toe wanting to open, therefore is more likely to rotate it. If im opening up a face balanced putter, i may not be able to “feel” it, there for i never rotate it closed? Its an interesting topic. 

What you are getting into is how a person manipulates a putter. It may be caused by feel and how the person reacts to the putter. That is why you should be fit for a putter based on results and. It what the machine spits out. If a
Player reacts to the putter that is in their hands and the computer provides a result then the player tries that putter they may get yet another result due to how the player reacts to the new putter.

If the CoG for a putter causes it to be toe down, when the putter moves forward the head of the putter will lag behind. As the stroke continues it will pick up momentum and overtake the heel and close.

From what I have learned toe hang isn’t a good indicator for fit since the same toe hang could have different rates of rotation based on head weight.

Due to all the design options with a putter you actually have to
Putt with it to see how you respond. You can’t just say I need a putter with X degrees of toe hang.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

My head hurts.

I wonder how much of this is paralysis by analysis?  

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

My head hurts.
I wonder how much of this is paralysis by analysis?  

A lot of it is. We could say the same thing about every other club in the bag. The difference is that the putter can look so drastically different than every other club so people dive into the minutia.

Most is what is being talked about is fitting related stuff. However,
Toe hang really isn’t a fitting parameter anymore but most people haven’t moved past that concept as one of the most important things.

What you are getting into is how a person manipulates a putter. It may be caused by feel and how the person reacts to the putter. That is why you should be fit for a putter based on results and. It what the machine spits out. If a
Player reacts to the putter that is in their hands and the computer provides a result then the player tries that putter they may get yet another result due to how the player reacts to the new putter.

If the CoG for a putter causes it to be toe down, when the putter moves forward the head of the putter will lag behind. As the stroke continues it will pick up momentum and overtake the heel and close.

From what I have learned toe hang isn’t a good indicator for fit since the same toe hang could have different rates of rotation based on head weight.

Due to all the design options with a putter you actually have to
Putt with it to see how you respond. You can’t just say I need a putter with X degrees of toe hang.

Exactly what I found going from a Scotty Newport to the Evnroll ER2B. Technically the Scotty should have a tow hang more appropriate for me but I roll the Evnroll straighter.

I also noticed that due to the different hosel/shaft configurations the Evnroll naturally sits a little closer to me at the same length and lie, so I think that makes it easier for me to aim.

A putter fitting really is one of the best things you can do for your game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Gone thru the whole thread and am a bit confused. My boy (freshman) took up golf (last year) and is been missing putts to the right. He uses my ghost putter which is mid level toe hanged. His putting shape is arc  (again not too deep) but his putter face is slightly open at impact. Was thinking of picking up a face balanced spider for him, as it would close faster (than toe hanged)  and have the face square at impact. Does that sound right....?

(Am thinking of getting him fitted but then again as he is young ( learning and experimenting), I think it will be easy for him to remodel his swing as needed...)

6 hours ago, nag said:

Gone thru the whole thread and am a bit confused. My boy (freshman) took up golf (last year) and is been missing putts to the right. He uses my ghost putter which is mid level toe hanged. His putting shape is arc  (again not too deep) but his putter face is slightly open at impact. Was thinking of picking up a face balanced spider for him, as it would close faster (than toe hanged)  and have the face square at impact. Does that sound right....?

(Am thinking of getting him fitted but then again as he is young ( learning and experimenting), I think it will be easy for him to remodel his swing as needed...)

Toe Hang really isn't that important;  it is the result of getting everything else right....offset, hosel position, weight, CoG, etc.    If he is missing right,  yes, he needs  to get the face closed more.   When making the putting stroke he will react to the putter and it should just move through stroke.   People also have a path bias to the left or to the right.   That isn't a bad thing and it is better than a zero'd out stroke.    Also how does he power the stroke?   If he uses his right arm (like tiger) he can just try and shut the face on the through stroke.   

Does he set up closed with his shoulders;  putter often follows shoulder line. 

The best idea is to try different putters and test them by evaluating startline.  If he is missing right,  go lighter, maybe smaller diameter grip, shaft intersecting the topline closer to the center (draw a line down the shaft and through the head closer to heel will provide more toe hang Closer to center is more face balanced), maybe a full offset putter.       Can he roll the ball through a gate using different stroke lengths that has less than 1* of error consistently (ideally you want to get down to about 0.5* of error).  As you change putter configurations, you should see that the miss will shift. left and right   Once he is doing that consistently, that is the putter that he should use.

On 1/13/2021 at 11:18 PM, nag said:

It could be his setup more than the putter? 

It could be a flinch, take away, or stroke issue?

If it is a breaking putt then it could be a misread?

The putter is only a tool in the puzzle that is golf. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 4/2/2020 at 9:27 AM, jlukes said:

This is a common misnomer.  Face balanced putters close FASTER than putters with toe hang.  

Ultimately it comes down to how the golfer reacts to the feelings the putter gives, but the science of toe hang (more weight in the toe) means closing down the rate of rotation.  Face balanced putters rotate closed faster.

Is there such thing as heel weighted putters with more weight in the heel. The same way move weight in the heel of a driver produces a draw bias.

ping.png.7c5862342023c35b77c4616604806e90.png - Driver: 425LST w / KBS TD60 X-Stiff

callaway-golf-logo-4603BD0EB6-seeklogo_com.png.95cd038f8e27b84c978a567dbe7027d3.png- 3-Wood: Callaway Rogue

Screenshot2024-03-24at9_19_26PM.png.0e838ce6cbc9de2df6485dcfda986883.png - Mkii ZX5 irons - 5-pw True Temper Dynamic Golf Tour Issue

596048109_ScreenShot2021-02-28at3_28_30PM.png.6dfa8b67ed327055667700b4ef19afd1.png - Hybrid - 939X: with Proforce V2 Stiff

1884238425_Titleistlogo.png.90c97c2fbcb19171e8ef7dc60bee0fc4.png - SM7 50* & 56*

Screenshot2024-03-24at9_26_28PM.png.6ca0d107c42a18066bd1852fc547613b.png - ER10 Mallet

vicegolf_logo.png.26dae2f1802c046450d6ce62d44baf39.png - Pro Plus

Is there such thing as heel weighted putters with more weight in the heel. The same way move weight in the heel of a driver produces a draw bias.

Essentially yes there are toe up putters. Edel makes them and Odyssey did at one time. I am sure there are more but I was not a fan when I tried them. Sold the Odyssey and think I still have the Edel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond