36 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Shouldn’t any business decide what’s best for themselves? The term essential means it can be interpreted by everyone differently. 

There are lots of questionable decisions being made. I’ll use NY as an example. They announced last week that they were starting to flatten the curve and that the numbers predicted for beds had dropped by 75% from 2 days prior. They determined at that point that golf courses were non essential despite them being open the entire time and it didn’t stop them from being able to get the curve to flatten and reduce the number of cases. Now they are implementing gloves and masks in public. If things are getting better despite those not being in place what is it doing now that couldn’t have been done before

Way too easy to go political with that one, too, so I'll just say I agree.

• Like 1

:taylormade-small:M5 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g, 6.5 @ 45"

:callaway-small:Epic Flash SZ 3wd w/ HZRDUS Green 70g, 6.5 @ 42.75"

:callaway-small:Epic Flash SZ 5wd w/ PX HZRDUS Black 85g, 6.5 @ 42.25"

:callaway-small:Epic Flash 7wd & 9wd w/ PX HZRDUS Black 85g, 6.5 @ 41.75" & 41"

:srixon-small:Z585 6-7, Z785 8-GW w/ TT AMT White S300@ 37.75" (6i)

:cleveland-small:RTX4 54/10 & 58/3 w/ DGold S400 @ 36"

:odyssey-small:SL EXO Marxman w/ Superstroke Flatso 3.0 @ 33"

On Deck:

:cleveland-small:RTX4 58/9 w/ Nippon Tour 125 Stiff @ 35.75"

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Shouldn’t any business decide what’s best for themselves? The term essential means it can be interpreted by everyone differently. 

At some point, its the governments job to make difficult decisions in the interest of the public good.  I agree, we can each have a different interpretation of "essential", so it becomes important to have SOMEONE define it, and those in government have that difficult task.  A business could choose to remain open, putting their own interests ahead of public health.  I can't say any specific states, or specific golf clubs and courses, made all the right decisions, or the wrong ones.  None of us really know what's required to keep the end result as good as possible.  Those in power (I hesitate to use the term politicians, but they eventually make the decisions) are doing the best that they can with the information available.  

Personally, I believe that golf can be played reasonably safely in these difficult times, and its a good way to get outdoor exercise.  But the maintenance crew has to work to make that happen, so they need an extra degree of caution.  Our club's restaurant is open for snack bar and carry-out, and those folks absolutely have to work fairly closely.  I'm happy for the way the club's choice, and the Virginia government's choices, effect me, but if they choose to close things down in the interest of the safety of the staff, I won't complain.

• Like 2

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

At some point, its the governments job to make difficult decisions in the interest of the public good.

That's a very slippery slope.  That is all.

• Like 1

On Deck:

13 hours ago, seeking70's said:

That's a very slippery slope.  That is all.

You're right, I'm not sure how to define the appropriate extent of the government's "emergency" power, or when any "emergency" powers are no longer required.  On the other hand, would you base your own health on the willingness of the population as a whole to follow appropriate measures to minimize the spread of the disease?  Would you trust businesses, large and small, to voluntarily incur the additional costs in order do the right things?  I think history has shown that neither of those is a really solid bet.

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

6 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

You're right, I'm not sure how to define the appropriate extent of the government's "emergency" power, or when any "emergency" powers are no longer required.  On the other hand, would you base your own health on the willingness of the population as a whole to follow appropriate measures to minimize the spread of the disease?  Would you trust businesses, large and small, to voluntarily incur the additional costs in order do the right things?  I think history has shown that neither of those is a really solid bet.

Exactly.  That's why I value personal responsibility so much.

On Deck:

Anyone know what the status is in Pennsylvania or Connecticut? I'm in New Jersey and going stir crazy. Would love to play 18 and walk just wondering if courses are open and if they are taking out of state residents for tee times. 

FYI for those of us in SoCal, Greenskeeper reports some courses still open (not counting the private courses). Would have to call and double check. Arrowood in San Bernardino County (almost at the border with Nevada) seems to be open according to a buddy that played a round out there a week ago.

Driver : :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max D 9* Project X HZRDUS RDX Black 70g 6.0 Stiff

Woods : :benhogan-small: GS53 3 Wood 14* Mitsubish Tensei Blue 73g Regular

Hybrids: :callaway-small: XR Project X Stiff (3&4)

Irons : :callaway-small: Mavrik True Temper Elevate 95 Stiff Steel (5-PW,AW)

Wedges : File:Kirkland Signature logo.svg - Wikimedia Commons 52, 56, 60 

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : Datrek lightweight cart bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

Rangefinder : TecTecTec ULT-X

Pushcart : Currently Testing Motocaddy M5 GPS DHC Electric Push Cart

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.7

For those playing "Quarantine Golf" at home, what sims are you using? I have a launch monitor for measuring swing speed and ball speed but that is about it. SkyTrak is out of budget and I have an iPhone so Rhapsodo is out. How is the Garmin G80 I have heard some people using.

Driver : :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max D 9* Project X HZRDUS RDX Black 70g 6.0 Stiff

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.7

We've been fortunate here.  All courses are open but it's mandatory one rider per cart or walking.  No rakes in bunkers, foam round pin in cup, must leave pin in, no water coolers out on course, etc.  Since I'm working from home and live 5 minutes from the course, I've been walking nine 3-4 evenings a week.

• TaylorMade SIM2 9.7* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15.9* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 6.5 TX
  • Callaway XForged UT 19* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z965 4-P - PX 6.0 LS hard stepped
  • Vokey SM8 51F / SM7 55M / 59K - DG TI S400
  • Scotty Cameron X7 Phantom 34”
  • Titleist -Pro V1X
On 4/17/2020 at 9:42 AM, Kmacellaro said:

Anyone know what the status is in Pennsylvania or Connecticut? I'm in New Jersey and going stir crazy. Would love to play 18 and walk just wondering if courses are open and if they are taking out of state residents for tee times. 

Courses in CT are open. My parents who live in NYC are driving all the way up to CT to play.

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.7

FYI, courses in Riverside County are open so OP you can try driving up to the closest to you in Riverside county.

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.7

I thought the governors of CA, OR, and WA were coordinating their efforts to open businesses safely.

Some courses in CA have opened, courses in OR never closed, and we are still shut down in WA since March 23.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

4 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I thought the governors of CA, OR, and WA were coordinating their efforts to open businesses safely.

Some courses in CA have opened, courses in OR never closed, and we are still shut down in WA since March 23.  

The CA order let the counties determine if golf courses would stay open or close from the beginning. My club has reopened 3 times due to changes from county health board, while other counties deemed golf essential, others closed them completely. It is so segregated here that Fresno County courses are open but not Fresno City courses.

• Like 1

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             3 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                    ZX7 4-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey SM8 59 04 L  (KBS 610)

:scotty-cameron-1:                Special Select SquareBack 2 33"

:titelist-small:                     ProV1

Twitter                     @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

For the past several weeks golfers from Spokane, WA have been making the 30 min drive to N. Idaho courses because they have been open.  Business at Idaho courses has been booming.  One course said they turned away 450 calls for tee times in one day.

Well, Idaho just closed their courses to WA residents.  I'm not sure why our governor hates golf so much.  My course was practicing social distancing and all the COVID-19 safety measures before he closed all courses.

Oh yeah, he closed the state to fishing also.  FISHING!!

• Sad 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Mu home course is an hour from the WA border and we are getting WA golfers. Seems pretty safe to golf if proper measures sre taken.  Place has been packed except when the wind and rain come in like today. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Quarantine Golf is kind of a touchy thing right now too with how separate it is even on a course by course basis. We just had most of our public courses reopen on Sunday with strict guidelines (cup raised, no ball washers, water coolers etc.) that could lead to them being shut down again. Just thankful Golf is naturally a socailly distant sport that we can be able to get out there & walk on the course

Edited by UCFGolfer23
thing not thong, but quarantine golf is touchy lol
  • Like 1
On 4/22/2020 at 10:24 AM, THEZIPR23 said:

The CA order let the counties determine if golf courses would stay open or close from the beginning. My club has reopened 3 times due to changes from county health board, while other counties deemed golf essential, others closed them completely. It is so segregated here that Fresno County courses are open but not Fresno City courses.

I wonder with what the Fresno Mayor just said earlier today (that shelter-in-place will last through May but will open businesses in phases) that means golf will start opening up within the City limits.  If done correctly and safely golf is a pretty safe activity to participate in.