• No but i would like to try
    • Never Heard of it
  2. 2. Have you watched Long Drive?

• Yes it was boring
    • Yes it is entertaining
    • No but i would like to
    • Never Heard of it
    • No does not sound interesting

I am interested to see who knows about this sport or is interested in it. I have dipped my feet in the waters, not thinking i had what it took but was surprised by my experience in the sport.

Edited by Briton

:918457628_PrecisionPro:-NX9 HD slope

:scotty-small:-Newport 2.5

:vokey-small:-Sm8 (50,56,60)

:Miura:=4-PW TC-201

:mizuno-small:-2 iron HMB MP 20

:callaway-small:-Driver --Mavrik Sub Zero

23 minutes ago, silver & black said:

I'll watch it if I happen upon it. I'm amazed at how long these men/women can hit the ball. Having said that.... it aint golf. I have respect for what they are capable of, but I'm a golf fan, not a ball hitting fan.

Lol I get what you mean, I guess I view it as almost a Sub-sport to Golf and I am curious if it interests regular golf enthusiasts.

9 minutes ago, silver & black said:

I'd be interested to know how many of the pros on the Long Drive tour are actually good golfers or is this all they do?

With some Exceptions, Most of them are single digit handicaps or know their way around a course, Kyle Berkshire that won last year played college golf, and then most of the other guys in the top of the rankings have a golf background and some have an end goal of professional golf. Some that are just athletes that learned how to hit a ball far lol. Ive seen a pro baseball player pick up the Long Drive and within a year qualify for worlds.

I have a 7 handicap and tried long drive just because I out drive most everyone i play with, ended up finishing 3rd in a qualifier.

7 minutes ago, Briton said:

With some Exceptions, Most of them are single digit handicaps or know their way around a course, Kyle Berkshire that won last year played college golf, and then most of the other guys in the top of the rankings have a golf background and some have an end goal of professional golf. Some that are just athletes that learned how to hit a ball far lol. Ive seen a pro baseball player pick up the Long Drive and within a year qualify for worlds.

I have a 7 handicap and tried long drive just because I out drive most everyone i play with, ended up finishing 3rd in a qualifier.

That puts a different spin on it. Can they hit as long playing real golf, or do the drivers they use to compete in long drive not work for actually playing? Do they ever need anything other than driver, wedge putter?

2 minutes ago, silver & black said:

That puts a different spin on it. Can they hit as long playing real golf, or do the drivers they use to compete in long drive not work for actually playing? Do they ever need anything other than driver, wedge putter?

Everyone is different but i would say for the most part, most have what they call a "Play" Driver which is used for regular play. It will be standard length and they would be able to hit it farther than most people because they a higher ball/swing speed and are able to control the ball at a higher ball/swing speed.

For long drive has rules that conform to USGA Rules just as if it was regular golf with shaft length, driver heads, balls and tees ETC. the longest you are aloud is 48 inches, noone does it in regular play because it is very hard to control the ball.

This is actually part of the reason i posted this, to inform and to give the sport some recognition. It is an underrated sport that is a very fun environment. Competitors yell and are animated as you have may have seen on TV, music is usually playing as players hit, and people don't have to be quiet while people hit either which has actually helped my focus in regular golf.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2020 at 2:45 PM, silver & black said:

They all can play with regular clubs and still hit it far. Kyle is from where I live and has been to the driving range I go to. I’ve missed him when he’s been there but he hits his 2i to places on the driving range 99.999% of the people that go there dot see with their driver. He hits his putter when the heads not flying off farther than many drives.

His playing golf swing with driver is in the 143 mph range. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

23 minutes ago, beelzeberto said:

I know fitness and swing has a lot to do with it, but what about the club? Most use a 5 or 6* head yes?

I think the range is usually anywhere from 3*-6* driver heads. i have a 4.0 * as my lowest lofted long drive club. 

Edited by Briton

Jaime Sadlowski has been making a run at pro golf lately. Getting into some lower level PGA events and playing a little Korn Ferry. As you can imagine, he annihilates the Par 5s but it seems the short game and putting us holding him back. 

I do enjoy the long drive challenges though. They're fun to watch. I'm surprised more courses don't hold just regular guy long drive challenges as much chatter that happens in the clubhouse. I'd definitely give one of those a go. 

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

On 4/25/2020 at 8:25 AM, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Jaime Sadlowski has been making a run at pro golf lately. Getting into some lower level PGA events and playing a little Korn Ferry. As you can imagine, he annihilates the Par 5s but it seems the short game and putting us holding him back. 

I do enjoy the long drive challenges though. They're fun to watch. I'm surprised more courses don't hold just regular guy long drive challenges as much chatter that happens in the clubhouse. I'd definitely give one of those a go. 

When i first was thinking about competing i was like there is no way i would be able to keep up or compete or if it would be something i could do just because i did not really know much about the sport. This is why i posted this forum is i just like to find out how much people know about the sport.

I think Long drive should be something that is bigger  and i hope it grows. Competing is actually fun and an Adrenaline rush.

On 4/20/2020 at 3:34 PM, Briton said:

I think the range is usually anywhere from 3*-6* driver heads. i have a 4.0 * as my lowest lofted long drive club. 

I just noticed that you are in Dalton, Ohio. I live in Massillon and I worked in Orrville for 6 years. Do you play at Riceland?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2020 at 10:07 AM, silver & black said:

I just noticed that you are in Dalton, Ohio. I live in Massillon and I worked in Orrville for 6 years. Do you play at Riceland?

Yes for sure, that is where my league i play in is. I like to go to the range at the Pines. That is random, not many know about Dalton haha

14 minutes ago, Briton said:

Yes for sure, that is where my league i play in is. I like to go to the range at the Pines. That is random, not many know about Dalton haha

My brother and I play at Riceland a few times a season... nice little course. The Pines a nice course. Very challenging, yet fair. It's one of my favorite places to play.

Can you drive #1 at Riceland? I figure if you compete in long drive, that shouldn't be hard for you. 😉

23 minutes ago, silver & black said:

My brother and I play at Riceland a few times a season... nice little course. The Pines a nice course. Very challenging, yet fair. It's one of my favorite places to play.

Can you drive #1 at Riceland? I figure if you compete in long drive, that shouldn't be hard for you. 😉

Ya riceland is just the closest to my house, its a simple little course. And the pines hasn’t been in very good shape as of late but their range has a nice tee to hit off of and the owners are nice people

to answer your question  yes i can but hardly ever try just because then i would have to wait on the group in front of us lol. Ive driven every par 4 at riceland except 5,6,12 and 18 I’m pretty sure

4 hours ago, Briton said:

Ya riceland is just the closest to my house, its a simple little course. And the pines hasn’t been in very good shape as of late but their range has a nice tee to hit off of and the owners are nice people

to answer your question  yes i can but hardly ever try just because then i would have to wait on the group in front of us lol. Ive driven every par 4 at riceland except 5,6,12 and 18 I’m pretty sure

You are definitely a big hitter! I used to be able to get over the water on #1, but those days are behind me, sadly.

I live in a college town with both Men's and Women's Div 1 golf teams.  The closest driving range to my office is at a muni ( closed for COVID-19).   Since this course is also closest to the University you get long hitters.  There was also an ex Long Drive circuit competitor who gave it up with bad back.  However with us showed he could not use his driver at the range with distance limiting range balls as hit a few into the street,  a 360 yard plus shot.   At least 50 yards past the College men.   Modern long driving is a very modified swing to develop huge club speed and mass moving through the shot with correct spins, at times changing, for maximum distance.   BTW,  from 8-10 feet way my back hurt just watching.    On the course thankfully there is much more to the game than long drives.                                

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago     

• 2 weeks later...

Had the pleasure of meeting the Jeff Critenden aka "The Critter".

He's a super nice guy & kills it!

Wilson D7 Irons with KBS Tour 80 Reg Flex Shafts

PING G410 Plus with ALTA CB Red 55g SR Flex Shaft

Callaway Super hybrid factory shaft with R flex

Taylormade Rocketballz 5 metal with factory Graphite Shaft reg flex

Ping Eye 2 Becu Sand & Lob wedges

Scotty Cameron Futura X7

Wilson Staff DUO