Shaft Q&A with Fujikura - We're here to answer your questions!

Our Sponsors

1.)

I had an AD-DI 85X in my Callaway X2 Hot Pro 20* hybrid, and loved it. I sold the shaft, but now want a replacement. I have a 115 mph driver swing speed, and want a similar profile shaft to put back into the hybrid.

Suggestions? I’d rather a mid-to-high ball flight for max carry.

2.)

How do I buy a Fujikura hat? I play a Ventus Black 7X in my Honma driver, so I’d love to sport a Fuji hat as well!!!

As far as keeping my game in shape, I’ve been hitting at the range (when open), into my net on the back patio, using PuttOUT on the carpet in my bedroom, and using an impact bag. I’ve been submitting video to my coach as well.

Thanks!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 5

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey MGS Community - How's everyone doing? We at Fujikura are using this time to do our part to turn our attention to education and having a conversation with golfers. We want to get back on the c

What are your thoughts on shaft PUREing? Is it really a beneficial service to perform on shafts, or are manufacturing tolerances tight enough now that it won’t make a large difference for most golfers

We like that you guys are coming out of the gates with the tough questions like these! there are many ways to answer this and many opinions. A simple answer is we all have different machines to measur

Posted Images

Your Ventus shaft lineup has been widely regarded as an incredible product. I was just wondering if you could confirm that it is the VeloCore which gives the shaft such a stable torque rating, right? That torque rating should reduce twist on off-center strikes and help to eliminate gear effect, correct? If those assumptions are correct, a Ventus shaft in a high MOI head would make for possibly the most forgiving driver possible.

I'm a club maker. Fujikura is a premier golf shaft manufacturer. I just removed two of your Callaway Green shafts from a 2017 Epic driver adapter and a 2017 3 wood adapter. Both of the shaft tips unraveled at the end. I've been making clubs for 30 years and have never seen such poor quality. Was 2017 just a bad year or have I missed something? And no, I didn't overheat the shafts. Thanks for any comments you may offer.

3 hours ago, Fujikura Golf said:

Hey MGS Community - How's everyone doing?

We at Fujikura are using this time to do our part to turn our attention to education and having a conversation with golfers. We want to get back on the course soon just like you, but in the interim we hope we are able to chat with you and answer some questions. 

We have looped in our sales team, product experts and Tour fitters to participate in the Q&A and help answer your questions. Please feel free to use this as an opportunity to ask us anything, it does not have to be just about shaft specs. Also, please let us know how you’re doing during this tough time – how are you trying to keep your game in shape? or what golf content are you watching on YouTube? Things like that.

Also, if you’re looking for some reading material about Fuji and how we design and make shafts, check out ShaftU which is educational content in collaboration with MyGolfSpy: https://fujikuragolf.com/education#shaft-university maybe some of this will inspire questions that we can address here!

Thanks for chatting with us and we hope to hear from you. Also please follow us on Instagram and twitter and you can engage with us there also.

Sincerely,

The Fuji team in Carlsbad, CA

AUA banner-01.png

How big of a difference is Stiff compared to X stiff driver shafts really have? 

I have a slower swing speed about 90mph with driver.  Let's assume that I have a driver head that is 12º and a stock regular flex shaft.   Yes, I know that all brands are different, but for the sake of this discussion, let's just go with an average response across all brands.  My question is:  How much change and what would the impact be if the same head in 10.5º was used with a higher launch shaft?  In other words will a higher launching shaft in a lower lofted driver produce more spin, less spin, or about the same, and would it result in more carry distance than a stock higher lofted head?

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Have you done testing on whether spine aligning or shaft puring really makes any difference?

Also, how big of a change do you see in frequency when you tip a shaft 1/2”, 1”, etc? Thanks for taking time to answer our questions!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

6 hours ago, Fujikura Golf said:

Hey MGS Community - How's everyone doing?

We at Fujikura are using this time to do our part to turn our attention to education and having a conversation with golfers. We want to get back on the course soon just like you, but in the interim we hope we are able to chat with you and answer some questions. 

We have looped in our sales team, product experts and Tour fitters to participate in the Q&A and help answer your questions. Please feel free to use this as an opportunity to ask us anything, it does not have to be just about shaft specs. Also, please let us know how you’re doing during this tough time – how are you trying to keep your game in shape? or what golf content are you watching on YouTube? Things like that.

Also, if you’re looking for some reading material about Fuji and how we design and make shafts, check out ShaftU which is educational content in collaboration with MyGolfSpy: https://fujikuragolf.com/education#shaft-university maybe some of this will inspire questions that we can address here!

Thanks for chatting with us and we hope to hear from you. Also please follow us on Instagram and twitter and you can engage with us there also.

Sincerely,

The Fuji team in Carlsbad, CA

AUA banner-01.png

So, where are the answers?

• Like 3

Hello, I have a Ventus Blue 7 in my Ping G410 Plus Driver. I also play a Ping G410 5 wood lofted down to 16.5 degrees. I want to pair a Ventus Blue with my fairway. But saw that a Ventus Red 90 gram shaft is available! I do want a high ball flight, and just wonder how much higher would the red be compared to the blue? Also would the spin be alot higher in red?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, TENBUCK said:

Why can't there be a universal flex rating by all manufacturers so that a A-L-M-S-XS be the same with all? I'm sure some of it has to do with marketing, but to the consumer it would be of benefit and to the manufacturer. I might like a TT but willing to try a Fuji if the specs were closely identical. 

One of the few Brands that give you EI profiles and their values... this is one of the most accurate ways to show a shaft stiffness. EI profiles or frequencies should be the standard, not LARSX.

7 hours ago, TENBUCK said:

Why can't there be a universal flex rating by all manufacturers so that a A-L-M-S-XS be the same with all? I'm sure some of it has to do with marketing, but to the consumer it would be of benefit and to the manufacturer. I might like a TT but willing to try a Fuji if the specs were closely identical. 

Is it because if there was a standardization it would lead to commoditizing (low/no differentiation within) the shaft industry and significantly decrease margins? i.e., do standardized screws or nuts & bolts have pricing power? 

So I have a driver shaft from 2018 and 2019. Both are the same model weight ie: supposedly identical. But the 2019 shaft just seemed to be less controllable than the 2018 shaft. How can I trust getting fit when there can be such differences between supposedly identical shafts?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

1 hour ago, conted said:

Is it because if there was a standardization it would lead to commoditizing (low/no differentiation within) the shaft industry and significantly decrease margins? i.e., do standardized screws or nuts & bolts have pricing power? 

I get it, it's the marketing, like I said. With all of the different shafts out there, past, present and future with varying names to go along with them, somewhere along the line there has to be some identical shafts out there from different manufacturers. 

I total understand different materials that go into a shaft and different processes as well as resin, but it's still amazing.

:ping-small: G400 MAX  Alta CB- 55

:cobra-small: FW 15* King F-7 :Fuji: PRO-65

:ping-small: G400 Hybrid Alta CB-70

PXG 0211 5-SW Mitsubishi MMT Graphite

:titelist-small: AP1 52* SW TT XP-95

:taylormade-small: MG 58* TT DG Wedge

:bettinardi-1: BB-41

Grips- GP MCC+4

1 hour ago, jpretor said:

One of the few Brands that give you EI profiles and their values... this is one of the most accurate ways to show a shaft stiffness. EI profiles or frequencies should be the standard, not LARSX.

I don't care if it's profiles, frequencies or LARSX, it should be standardized, but I don't think that will ever happen.

:ping-small: G400 MAX  Alta CB- 55

:cobra-small: FW 15* King F-7 :Fuji: PRO-65

:ping-small: G400 Hybrid Alta CB-70

PXG 0211 5-SW Mitsubishi MMT Graphite

:titelist-small: AP1 52* SW TT XP-95

:taylormade-small: MG 58* TT DG Wedge

:bettinardi-1: BB-41

Grips- GP MCC+4

First of all thank you for giving us the opportunity to ask questions. I have a driver swing speed around 115 and an aggressive transition. I also spin the ball more than I would like. What shaft from your current lineup would you suggest for me? Weight flex etc....

Could you compare the Atmos Tour Spec Black vs the Fujikura Pro 73? If I'm gaming the Atmos now and want a little higher launch will this achieve it? Does one feel smoother than the other?

Driver: :755178188_TourEdge: EXS 220 9.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60 6.0
3 Wood: :cobra-small: SpeedZone 14.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 6.0
3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2017 CLK 19° Fujikura Speeder Evolution HB Stiff
4 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 22° Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Stiff
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Forged 5-9, JPX 921 Tour PW Project X LZ 6.0 Blackout Edition
Wedges: Edison Forged 49°, 53°, 57°
Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 34"
Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

Currently Testing: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

So personally I have been fitted for all my current shafts that I am playing/have played, but I’m sure a lot of you have seen online questioners where you can get a recommended shaft without having to go in and get fitted. Questions like swing speed shot shape and preferred trajectory. It seems convenient if you feel like you don’t have time to get a proper fitting but are you really gonna get anywhere close to what the right shaft is for you by doing that?

Edit: I think a cool test would be to try a shaft you get fitted for online and one you get professionally fitted for and compare the numbers. Let me know what you think I might give it a go!

21 hours ago, TENBUCK said:

We like that you guys are coming out of the gates with the tough questions like these! there are many ways to answer this and many opinions. A simple answer is we all have different machines to measure the CPM so nothing is apples to apples. Also this is one of the big reasons why all of us in the industry recommend going to get custom fit, because at the end of the day the specs should not matter to the golfer so long as a certified fitter puts the golfer in the one that best enhances their performance.

21 hours ago, ssops00 said:

I feel all shaft manufacturers should publish the frequency numbers (4) on all shafts so you could compare one OEM's shaft to another USING DATA. (as we are learning with the virus, the only way to make decisions is by using data- the rest is marketing BS).  Then, when you do a fitting, the fitter should tell you / recommend to you what shaft frequencies would work best for you , they you would know USING DATA your best fit.

See above, we all use different machines so this would not really help unfortunately. Not apples to apples. Most all of our dealers have their own CPM machines, so when you visit their shop they know how the shafts compare having used the same machine to test all. The most important data for the golfer is the ball flight performance, not the CPM or torque. If you find one you hit the best and feels great then who cares what weight or flex or torque value or bend point (etc) it is right?!

also, as the marketing guy I have to disagree about the BS comment 🙂

20 hours ago, Bucky CC said:

What are your thoughts on shaft PUREing? Is it really a beneficial service to perform on shafts, or are manufacturing tolerances tight enough now that it won’t make a large difference for most golfers?

THANK YOU for offering to answer our questions!

Another juicy topic! Nice. There's quite a misconception out there about spines on shafts, even with graphite. Check out ShaftU Production 101 for more on how we produce our shafts which do not have spines: https://mygolfspy.com/shaft-u-production-process-101/

When we apply the plies of materials they are "clocked" so the starting point rotates. If we applied the material at the same spot on the clock every time it would create a spine and an imbalance, which is why we do not. And our tolerances are extremely tight on every shaft we produce at both of our wholly owned factories. We do not have some shafts with tight tolerances and others without. Hope that helps.

-Eric

• Like 6

Thanks @Fujikura Golf for this tread!!  I had a few questions if you don't mind.

1) As I've been doing my testing with the Motore X F1 6X (small thread plug below), what recommendations would you suggest if I were to add a shaft to my Cobra F8 3 wood?  Would I stay in F1 or move to F3?

2) Have you done any testing with Enso to see a difference in tipping a shaft vs. going to a stiffer flex?

3) What do you feel has been your biggest advancement in the past 10 years?

Then to answer your question, I'm hopefully going to be able to use my hitting net in the next few days as it's finally getting warmer!  I can't wait to keep testing the F1 shaft!  Other than that, I've really been enjoying all of the lives that have been happening on social media as well as TXG's new content on their youtube channel.  Thanks again for everything!!

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X Gen 2
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – AW: Taylormade P760
SW: Vokey SM7 M Grind
LW: Cleveland RTX 4 X-Low
Putter: Ping Vault Oslo

14 hours ago, TENBUCK said:

I don't care if it's profiles, frequencies or LARSX, it should be standardized, but I don't think that will ever happen.

It happens, some tried to create the International Flex Code... but only some brands use it.

IFC.png

• Like 1