TESTERS WANTED! ×

“Shot Vision” iPhone app. Wow!

I downloaded the app tonight, and hit about 30 balls. It only failed to register 1 shot out of the 30. Not sure on accuracy, as I don’t have anything to compare it to. There is a YouTube video of a guy that compares it side by side with the Garmin G80 and it is almost identical to those carry numbers.

I am looking to buy the PRGR, but I want to give this app some more run before I spend 200.

I used the app outside, and placed my iPhone pro max 3.5 feet back, and 2 feet in front of the ball. I propped my phone up with the weight ball on the flex trainer (the cheaper version of the orange whip). I also had no back drop, just open space in the direction the camera was pointing. I’ve heard people were making black backgrounds, but it was not necessary for me.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, that I bought a 1 month subscription to try the app, as most of you probably assumed with the data provided below. I will go through all my clubs today or tomorrow (depending on weather) and see if there is anything weird about the data. Being new to golf, my swing speed/yardages change every time i am on the course as my ball striking is leaps and bounds better now than it was before Quarantine. So hard to say how accurate the numbers below are.

i included a picture of my 7 iron and Driver stats with the app. 

1C022E52-8333-4880-96F5-37471FA6AB3B.png

611D22C3-6E34-4E41-ABE4-7E396DA00D20.png

Edited by mey123

Driver: :ping-small: G410 Plus 8- Ping Alta CB Red 55 - Stiff

Fairway: :ping-small: G5 15*  - Black Dot - w/ Ping TFC 100F - Regular

Hybrids: :taylormade-small:   RBZ Tour Rescue - 2 (16.5*) and 4 (21.5*) - w/Taylormade Aldila Rip 65 Graphite - Stiff

Irons: :ping-small: G400 - 5-PW - Black Dot - w/Project X LZ 6.0

Wedges: :Sub70: Forged Black - 50*, 54*, 58* - w/KBS Tour Steel - Stiff

Putter: :ping-small: Heppler Tyne 3

As I was looking into this a little more i realized the free version does not allow Carry or total Distance. I get that they want you to pay for a subscription but that takes away the most desired metric. The motivation with "Free" apps like this us usually to have the basic functionality for free but paid version allows for added features. I can see a free version of this app having Carry distance, Total Distance, Club Speed and Ball speed on the main screen to use and it would store 10 swings of data. The "Pro" version would give you Spin & Launch Angle, as well as unlimited shot storing, exporting data, gapping analysis, and then some of the games (Target Practice, Competitions, course play etc.) This would give golfers the chance to say "Hey this app is accurate since that is how far I hit my clubs" or if people at a driving range will be using they can say "Yea that looked like 152 yds" 

Another option would be give like 25 swings a day with the distance numbers. then after that it only shows Swing speed/ ball speed or stop all together. This again proves the accuracy, allows users to hit a few balls and get some info but doesn't let them get through a bag of balls and they already invested the time to set everything up might as well pay for a month. Not my favorite option but its a common one for apps. 

I think if this app starts with the numbers that the average golfers understand (Distance) and then then teaches or persuades golfers that these other numbers are important too they could convert people who have no idea and don't understand the importance of these stats and grow that user base. For Example, If i got a popup that said I could hit my driver longer by increasing my launch angle but launch angle was a Pro feature I may talk to a coach or look online to see how to lower launch angle but then that's in my mind and If I pay for Pro features I can measure and see I'm trending in the right direction.

I say all of this to help improve the app and improve golfers. I will be trying out this app next time I'm at the range and will likely test the Pro features as well since I want to do some gap testing before my golf league starts up (assuming it does). I love the idea and the execution of this so far. It can truly be a game changer for golfers who want data but don't/can't fork over hundreds on equipment. 

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to bump this to see if anyone had a chance to test it and possibly against other launch monitors (other than the 2 that are on youtube at this point)

Hybrids: :taylormade-small:   RBZ Tour Rescue - 2 (16.5*) and 4 (21.5*) - w/Taylormade Aldila Rip 65 Graphite - Stiff

There’s actually quite a few YouTube’s available on this thing. The outdoor version is the accurate one I hear. I’ve been working with them on the indoor mode, but I’m about a week behind as I’m building a new hitting bay in my garage...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

There’s actually quite a few YouTube’s available on this thing. The outdoor version is the accurate one I hear. I’ve been working with them on the indoor mode, but I’m about a week behind as I’m building a new hitting bay in my garage...
I tried this app out the other day and seemed to be really low on ball speed seemed slower then normal

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, pozzit said:

I tried this app out the other day and seemed to be really low on ball speed seemed slower then normal

How was distance? In my garage on indoor mode, compared to an sc200, there always seemed to be something different, even when the distances were the same..

How was distance? In my garage on indoor mode, compared to an sc200, there always seemed to be something different, even when the distances were the same..
I didn't get the subscription just using the free to test it out and make sure it was working appropriately on my device.

On 5/15/2020 at 6:08 PM, Sluggo42 said:

That sounds about right. Everything i have read is that the outdoor mode is the most accurate. Issue is that it is giving me to be what seems to be very elevated carry distances with my woods. Irons sound about right (need to verify on a GCquad or similar), but need to update as my swing has improved drastically since the last time i visited the simulator. 

My driver on course has a long of about 285, via shotscope in the 2 rounds i was able to use it, and shot vision is telling me my carry distances are pushing 300 (+/- 10 yards). I know wind plays a huge part, and both times i was out on the course, the wind was blowing with gusts up to 30mph, but the carry distances from shot vision for the Driver and 3 wood seem to be a bit optimistic. Ill get it out again in the next day or 2 and see if anything has changed

You know what’s funny? I’m such a freaking digbat, I haven’t even tried the darn thing while I’m playing, and I’ve always got my phone right it’s me. I’ve never tried it outdoors, and so tomorrow I will.... if I remember...

I swear this old age business makes me forget almost everything!!!

19 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

You know what’s funny? I’m such a freaking digbat, I haven’t even tried the darn thing while I’m playing, and I’ve always got my phone right it’s me. I’ve never tried it outdoors, and so tomorrow I will.... if I remember...

I thought about doing this as well, but the last few times out the courses have been busy since the opening of courses (at least in PA). Once it dies down a bit, i will give it a try as well. At least on the tee box

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2020 at 12:39 PM, Sluggo42 said:

Have you tried it while playing yet?  Curious if the total yardages matched what you were doing in course. 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 9degree. Hosel set to -1degree/Nuetral. Aftermarket 10gram front weight and 6.5 gram sliding weight set to fade. Mitsubishi  Tensei AV Blue Stiff 67 “Tipped” half inch

Diablo 5 Wood Nuetral Stock shaft

:taylormade-small: M3 3 Hybrid Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Weight set to fade

:mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-GW KBS C Taper Stiff 1/2 inch longer 

:callaway-small: Mac Daddy 4 54, 58

:odyssey-small: Works Tank Cruiser 7              40 Grams in head and counterbalanced 30 grams inside Super Stroke Fatso Grip

:srixon-small: Z-Star

6 hours ago, BrownBearGolf said:

Have you tried it while playing yet?  Curious if the total yardages matched what you were doing in course. 

Unfortunately I grew tired of testing it, and never did try it outside. There are quite a few "reviews" on youtube now, so id suggest starting there

46 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

Unfortunately I grew tired of testing it, and never did try it outside. There are quite a few "reviews" on youtube now, so id suggest starting there

Yeah, I went ahead and bought a mevo. The app is not even close to my driver numbers (compared to both a mevo and a GC2 at a local indoor center). 

Yea, but for $6 a month, it’s fun to mess with. I guess inside was very hard to get set up, must be some crazy algorithms they’re trying to tame...

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This is the first thing I am going to try when golf weather arrives ... well that and TrueGolfFit.

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

• 1 month later...

I tried shot vision and the distances it gave me were greatly exaggerated.

I would love ❤️ to have the 220mph ball speed, the device was showing.

Strangely no other device has ever recorded me at 160mph. 🤷‍♂️

WITB:

Driver:  Taylormade  SLDR Fujikura XLR8 61 S RH.   

3 Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 3W

Hybrid: Ping G400 3 Hyb 19 degree S

Irons: Titleist 710 AP1 5-PW Aerotek Steelfiber i110 cw S RH standard lie 

Wedges: 50 Callaway MD 4, 54 Vokey SM5, 58 Callaway Forged

Putters: Ping Grayhawk Putter

• 1 month later...