TESTERS WANTED! ×

Faulty or just poor quality?

Average Mo

Hi fellow Golfers,

I took up golf less than a year ago and picked up some beautiful brand-new wedges toward the end of summer 2019 from American Golf, which is the largest golfing retailer here in the UK (see pics below).

As the pitching wedge in my iron set (Cleveland CG-16) is 44° loft I decided to evenly space out my wedges to minimise gaps. I got matching 48°, 52° and 58° so i have the flexibility in my set to learn a range of shots and decide which work best for me as my game develops.

They are by a company called Benross - I'm not sure of they are only available in the UK - and seem to do a wide range of products from a full range of clubs to bags and apparel. 

They were really cheap at around £35 (GBP) each, which is incredible considering they have KBS shafts and Lamkin grips as standard! I basically bought an entire brand new wedge set for the price of less than one premium wedge.

Good value? Let's see...

I've since used them at the ranges at least 20 times and played a dozen rounds too. 

I rely mostly on the 52° as that is the one I can play the widest variety of shors with and feel most comfortable with, and only over use the 58° to get out of trouble or play the shortest of lobs - which is very rare as I play safe wherever possible.

What I have found is that the superficial layer, possibly paint, has started to chip off on the 58° wedge (see image below). It's been cared for and not abused, which leads me to wonder whether it's a quality issue...

My question is this: are my expectations too high of budget equipment? Should the finish have lasted a little longer? Would a more expensive wedge such as a Vokey or Cleveland do the same? 

IMG-20200326-WA0012.jpeg

20200125_213859.jpg

:wilson_staff_small: D200 Superlight 12° Driver & 15° 3W

:titelist-small: 818 h1 19° & 23° Hybrids

:cleveland-small: CG-16 6i-PW

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 48° GW, 54° SW, 60° LW

:odyssey-small: White Hot 2 ball Putter, 32.5" shaft, Jumbo Odyssey grip

Hi fellow Golfers,

I took up golf less than a year ago and picked up some beautiful brand-new wedges toward the end of summer 2019 from American Golf, which is the largest golfing retailer here in the UK (see pics below).

As the pitching wedge in my iron set (Cleveland CG-16) is 44° loft I decided to evenly space out my wedges to minimise gaps. I got matching 48°, 52° and 58° so i have the flexibility in my set to learn a range of shots and decide which work best for me as my game develops.

They are by a company called Benross - I'm not sure of they are only available in the UK - and seem to do a wide range of products from a full range of clubs to bags and apparel. 

They were really cheap at around £35 (GBP) each, which is incredible considering they have KBS shafts and Lamkin grips as standard! I basically bought an entire brand new wedge set for the price of less than one premium wedge.

Good value? Let's see...

I've since used them at the ranges at least 20 times and played a dozen rounds too. 

I rely mostly on the 52° as that is the one I can play the widest variety of shors with and feel most comfortable with, and only over use the 58° to get out of trouble or play the shortest of lobs - which is very rare as I play safe wherever possible.

What I have found is that the superficial layer, possibly paint, has started to chip off on the 58° wedge (see image below). It's been cared for and not abused, which leads me to wonder whether it's a quality issue...

My question is this: are my expectations too high of budget equipment? Should the finish have lasted a little longer? Would a more expensive wedge such as a Vokey or Cleveland do the same? 

IMG-20200326-WA0012.thumb.jpeg.c74dd64dd6c6fcf545de49e45eae806c.jpeg

20200125_213859.thumb.jpg.3ff253c2b8278fec97b2736546970bed.jpg

Hmm. A Cleveland/Vokey/other hasn’t done that ever when I’ve owned them. Even the old chrome-finished 588s never did that. I’d reach-out to the company, or at minimum where you bought them, to bring the issue to the fore. Post pics to the Benross Instagram/Twitter/Facebook accounts as well as sometimes this gets a faster reply. Can’t hurt to ask!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I have never seen that happen to a vokey or cleveland wedge as I've kept a few for quite a few years.  Dings and chunks taken out of them yes,  but not chrome peeling off.  As PMookie stated, contact them via social media or email them direct and see what they can do for you.  At least you will find out how good the customer service is.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

56 minutes ago, Average Mo said:

Hi fellow Golfers,

Good value? Let's see...

IMG-20200326-WA0012.jpeg

20200125_213859.jpg

I’ve never seen a wedge do that before, and it has to do with the what finish they used and how it was applied. 

Definitely reach out to the company and let us know what you find out. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

Hi fellow Golfers,
Good value? Let's see...
IMG-20200326-WA0012.thumb.jpeg.c74dd64dd6c6fcf545de49e45eae806c.jpeg
20200125_213859.thumb.jpg.3ff253c2b8278fec97b2736546970bed.jpg

Definitely something not seen with name brand wedges. They look like cheap Chinese knock-offs. And at that price point I'd begin wondering if the shafts and grips were counterfeit.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

It might be a combo of faulty and poor quality. As you mentioned they aren’t an expensive club so the expectation of quality to be the same as a bigger name has to be lowered but one should expect a club to hold up for a season or two. Other than Rick Shiels doin a video or two on the brand a coupe years back or so I haven’t really heard anyone playing the brand and I do believe it’s a UK only option 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Looks like bad quality control.    I think that can be common in smaller companies.     I ordered a set of pxg 0311 pretty much the second they were available to order.   My 8 iron had a weird sound to it.  Sent it back to pxg and they forgot to inject tpe into it.

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max d 9 with graphite design tour ad xc 6s

Fairway Wood:Taylormade Sim 15 with Graphite design Tour ad iz 6s
Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Irons: 5-pw Miura Mc501 with modus 120s pured

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r

I would just chalk it up to a faulty chrome finish that snuck through QC. Not something I would hold against Benross at this point. I would be shocked if American Golf or Benross didn't do something if you contact them

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Seeing as they are not top brand Wedges and the paint chipping occurred on the back side of the iron(it doesn’t affect your play) I would reach out to the vendor but continue to play them.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

On 4/10/2020 at 1:43 AM, tony@CIC said:

Definitely something not seen with name brand wedges. They look like cheap Chinese knock-offs. And at that price point I'd begin wondering if the shafts and grips were counterfeit.

They can't be knock-offs as I bought from the largest golf retailer in the UK

:wilson_staff_small: D200 Superlight 12° Driver & 15° 3W

:titelist-small: 818 h1 19° & 23° Hybrids

:cleveland-small: CG-16 6i-PW

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 48° GW, 54° SW, 60° LW

:odyssey-small: White Hot 2 ball Putter, 32.5" shaft, Jumbo Odyssey grip

American Golf is the largest golf retailer in the UK? Is this a form of business-name colonialism?

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL