GolfSpy MPR

2020 Official Member Review: Titleist T100S/T200 irons

Our Sponsors

20 minutes ago, revkev said:

Nice job thus far, guys. What’s weird for me is that I’ve never met a Titleist iron club that I’ve liked or i should say that has worked for me when trying it - including the wedges that everybody seems to love.

Woods and hybrids, they fit my eye and swing all day.

Looking forward to reading further

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I love my Vokey's, but I generally have the same reaction to the irons.  Tested some and they lost out to Mizuno.  This is a really intriguing thread though; testers are killing it!

• Like 2

Currently testing the Honma TR20 460 driver!

Driver: :callaway-small:Great Big Bertha Epic, 10.5, Project X HZRDOUS 55g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrid::tour-edge:CBX 119 3H, 18, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM7 54 S Grind, 58 M Grind

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: California Monterey 1.5, Superstroke Flatso 1.0 grip

:SuperSpeed:

1 hour ago, revkev said:

Nice job thus far, guys. What’s weird for me is that I’ve never met a Titleist iron club that I’ve liked or i should say that has worked for me when trying it - including the wedges that everybody seems to love.

Woods and hybrids, they fit my eye and swing all day.

Looking forward to reading further

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Same here, Rev. The drivers and fairways have always been good for me. Although, I’d still be open to trying them, and the wedges, in the future. Who knows, maybe they’d be best for me next time.

• Like 5

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

3 minutes ago, chisag said:

... My T100-S must have heard my clubs talking as I played my P760's Sunday and hit the ball better than I have the last several rounds. They reminded me why I love them and was not looking for other irons until the T100-S were available for review, really the only other irons I was interested in playing. Started out hitting every green and every fairway thru the first 6 holes. Birdie-par-par-birdie-par-birdie. Hit my tee shot on the 7th hole and the heavens parted, thunder roared and rain cascaded down on Chicago. Sat under a pavilion roof for an hour and the rain finally almost stopped so we hit our tee shots on 7 and an unseen lightening bolt sounded like it broke something right over our heads. ⚡ I could not get to the parking lot fast enough. 😳 

... But the T100-S were insanely accurate today. I have had some trouble with distances, not fliers or coming up short, just figuring out which iron toe use in in between yardages with wind and elevation changes but not today. PW from 121 to 6 feet birdie, PW from 129 to 12 feet par, 8 iron from 151 to 15 feet par, 7 iron from 161 to 3 feet birdie, 48* to 10 feet par and 5 iron from 184 to 10 feet birdie. Then rain, rain and more rain when ZERO rain was predicted. Again, I was hitting the ball better than I have the last 5 or 6 rounds and the Golf Gods evidently just weren't gonna have it. Hopefully I can pick up where I left off tomorrow but e all know how that goes...

Good stuff glad ya made it out of there not crispy.

anything different today? Do you think the 760s confidence boost helped ya work through something?

Or just one of those clubs knowing they were in timeout for a round lol

• Like 4

Check out my review for the :ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60g 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W (15*) Project X HZRDUS Green 70g

:adams-small: 2H VST Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW Project X 6.5 LZ 

:cleveland-small: 50, 54, 58 CBX2  Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

... Nothing different per se. My back gets stiff which is a fancy way of saying it hurts but I play anyway because life is short. I can't really throw my arms thru impact as that creates torque and my body naturally protects itself so my entire body turns thru impact. It isn't intentional and I can play that way with some degree of success, but when my back feels loose, I can make the kind of free flowing swings I need to make to play good golf. Took yesterday off and just felt pretty darned good today and with my first swing, a 4 iron off the tee that felt like dead center and went right where I wanted it to go I knew it was gonna be a good round. Stayed that way for 6 holes and then the rain. 

... The 760's with foam and hollow heads in the mid and long irons are pretty long and very forgiving for a small headed iron. Really the best long irons I have played. But one area where the T100-S are obviously better is partial and knockdown shots. I think the foam heads and thin faces tend to fly a little farther than I like sometimes but the T100-S are very predictable with partial and knockdown shots, either on the money or a little short, which is exactly what I want with those shots. 

• Like 9

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Pro Orange 60r
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 75s
Utility:   TaylorMade RBZ Tour Hy ... Matrix Altus 85 hy
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage 105 Tini s-flex
              4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Recoil 110s
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

On 6/29/2020 at 2:11 PM, THEZIPR23 said:

Yes I missed the putt. 😪

Like I said it was hot all weekend and the ball was jumping but the T100-S are at least a half and in some instances a full club longer than I am used to. The issue that I am seeing is the extremes are bigger. I have a suspicion I know what is causing it. I am going to jump on SkyTrak this week and hit some shots back to back with my gamers and see if I am right. 

Sorry, but I had to include the missed putt,haha... 

so kind of a distance club unintentionally? I thought the Srixons were already sort of a “distance club”...🤔 looking forward to the comparison...

• Like 3

Currently testing for review:

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi

:ping-small: G400 LSTec driver 10° on Aldila X-Torsion Stiff

:callaway-small: 816 Alpha 3-wood 15° On Aldila Rogue Stiff

:callaway-small: 815 GBB Alpha hybrid 19° On Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

:benhogan-small: Ptx Pro 5-P irons on KBS Tour V 110 S

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on recoil 780 StifF

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

4 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

Sorry, but I had to include the missed putt,haha... 

so kind of a distance club unintentionally? I thought the Srixons were already sort of a “distance club”...🤔 looking forward to the comparison...

Yes unintentional, I have sailed more greens in the last month than I probably ever have in my life. Z785 7 iron is 170-175 tops. I hit the T100-S 7 iron to a back right flag during tourney from 188. It was left but pin high. Would’ve never thought about hitting Z785 7 iron from that far. More to come on this, this week....

• Like 8

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.5* (Ventus Black 6X) 45"

:taylormade-small:             M5 15* (Ventus Black 7x) 43"

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* (Tensei AV Blue 70 X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-AW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

9 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Yes unintentional, I have sailed more greens in the last month than I probably ever have in my life. Z785 7 iron is 170-175 tops. I hit the T100-S 7 iron to a back right flag during tourney from 188. It was left but pin high. Would’ve never thought about hitting Z785 7 iron from that far. More to come on this, this week....

... This is why we write reviews as my experience has been the opposite. Of course I am coming from P790's and P760's and especially compared to the 790's a true players distance iron T100-S are coming up short when not the distance I am looking for. Every now and then I can get to the back of the green and a handful of times just over, but always when in-between clubs. Not saying the T100-S are short by any means as it took me a long time to get used to the distance I was hitting the 790's or 760 mid/long irons and I was never comfortable with 5* gaps. It is gonna be interesting once I feel completely comfortable with the T100-S and play several rounds in succession with my P760's for comparison. Personally, I would not put the 790's in the same category but everyone is different. I am looking forward to your review! 

• Like 9

Alright everyone I just completed my 2nd irons only round.  I played a different local 9-hole course today that is slightly longer than the previous but has a variety of length holes instead of all the par 4's being between 300-375. This was great as I got to hit every club in the bag. 
Let's start with the good. I really found a groove chipping with the 48* GW today unfortunately I had to use it more often than I would have liked.  I can see this being a real asset moving forward. The putter was wonderful again as I managed to finish with 26 putts. 
Now the bad. I couldn't find a groove off the tee with any long iron I tried. Even on the par 3's I struggled to hit one straight. I managed to hit just 2 fairways and 2 greens. The 2 greens led to my only 2 birdies today. 
The #1 handicap hole on this course is a 463 yard par 4. I have always struggled with this hole even with all my clubs and today was no different. This was the hole that killed my score as I doubled it both times.  One more double and 7 bogies lead to a 42/41 83. Very respectable to say the least. I play to an 8.1 per the course rating which unfortunately for Team Titleist leaves me at a net +3 75. 1 shot short of [mention=55883]Berg Ryman[/mention] in the iron only contest. This was a lot of fun and really had the competitive juices flowing today. I actually went into the last 3 holes (this includes the #1 handicap trouble maker) 1 over but managed to finish double par double to lose. I haven't felt this type of feeling since my high school sports days and I gotta admit I really liked it! So Congratulations Berg you have one the bet. We can discuss the winnings when we get closer to the Fantasy Football draft. 
When I put a good swing on these T200's they perform as intended. I didn't have any shots today that made me think where did that come from.  Every good swing produced the exact yardage I was expecting.  When I am slightly off it makes it very clear that something with slightly more forgiveness may be necessary.
The key thing I am still working through is finding a consistent groove with these T200's to determine if they will have a permanent spot in the bag. I gotta admit though so far this year my handicap is dropping and these definitely have a part in that. 

Good stuff BnG! Tough to lose the iron challenge by one but looks like you gave it your best! Glad to see you like the 48 around the green. It’s good to have a club like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

#MGSCOBRA2020 #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 is live!  Follow Along here!

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Tensei Pro White 6TX

:cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - PX LZ 6.5

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

#cuetheduckboats

1 minute ago, B.Boston said:

Good stuff BnG! Tough to lose the iron challenge by one but looks like you gave it your best! Glad to see you like the 48 around the green. It’s good to have a club like that.

The 48* T200 shouldn't have been too big of a issue to get used to as I have a generic 48* wedge that I will use from time to time when I have to keep it low instead of my 56* SM7. The biggest problem was the wider sole and the bounce. I was hitting a lot of fat chips with it until I finally just started using a putting stroke.  

• Like 5

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

The 48* T200 shouldn't have been too big of a issue to get used to as I have a generic 48* wedge that I will use from time to time when I have to keep it low instead of my 56* SM7. The biggest problem was the wider sole and the bounce. I was hitting a lot of fat chips with it until I finally just started using a putting stroke.  

I’ve become a big fan of taking the 52* SM7 and hitting that low skipping chip that has a lot of bite in the second or third bounce. I’d bet the 48* would work for that well.

• Like 4

#MGSCOBRA2020 #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 is live!  Follow Along here!

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Tensei Pro White 6TX

:cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - PX LZ 6.5

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

#cuetheduckboats

4 hours ago, blackngold_blood said:

Alright everyone I just completed my 2nd irons only round.  I played a different local 9-hole course today that is slightly longer than the previous but has a variety of length holes instead of all the par 4's being between 300-375. This was great as I got to hit every club in the bag. 

Let's start with the good. I really found a groove chipping with the 48* GW today unfortunately I had to use it more often than I would have liked.  I can see this being a real asset moving forward. The putter was wonderful again as I managed to finish with 26 putts. 

Now the bad. I couldn't find a groove off the tee with any long iron I tried. Even on the par 3's I struggled to hit one straight. I managed to hit just 2 fairways and 2 greens. The 2 greens led to my only 2 birdies today. 

The #1 handicap hole on this course is a 463 yard par 4. I have always struggled with this hole even with all my clubs and today was no different. This was the hole that killed my score as I doubled it both times.  One more double and 7 bogies lead to a 42/41 83. Very respectable to say the least. I play to an 8.1 per the course rating which unfortunately for Team Titleist leaves me at a net +3 75. 1 shot short of @Berg Ryman in the iron only contest. This was a lot of fun and really had the competitive juices flowing today. I actually went into the last 3 holes (this includes the #1 handicap trouble maker) 1 over but managed to finish double par double to lose. I haven't felt this type of feeling since my high school sports days and I gotta admit I really liked it! So Congratulations Berg you have one the bet. We can discuss the winnings when we get closer to the Fantasy Football draft. 

When I put a good swing on these T200's they perform as intended. I didn't have any shots today that made me think where did that come from.  Every good swing produced the exact yardage I was expecting.  When I am slightly off it makes it very clear that something with slightly more forgiveness may be necessary.

The key thing I am still working through is finding a consistent groove with these T200's to determine if they will have a permanent spot in the bag. I gotta admit though so far this year my handicap is dropping and these definitely have a part in that. 

Well, guess i get to have a victory lap round, but I'm going to try hard as hell to get it lower, because you deserve my best. @blackngold_blood has my ultimate respect, a game competitor and an even better dude.

• Like 7

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:cobra-small: F9 Speedback, 18.5, Hzrdus Yellow 70-S

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

:nickent-small: Pipe

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2019)

:CaddyTek: Caddylite 15.3 V1

Go Orange!

9 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Well, guess i get to have a victory lap round, but I'm going to try hard as hell to get it lower, because you deserve my best. @blackngold_blood has my ultimate respect, a game competitor and an even better dude.

The hardest part of all of it is if I don’t finish double par double, I force you to post a better score. I knew where I stood on the Par 5 last hole and hit a push slice into the trees. I thought about punching out sideways but knew if I did I was looking at par at best due to still being almost 300 out. I decided if I could punch out forward and advance the ball 50-100 that birdie was still in play and bogey was worst case scenario. Unfortunately I got a little too much air under the ball and caught a tree. Playing by myself I couldn’t find the ball after it hit the tree branch and it cost me a lost ball which brought double into reality. 

• Like 3

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

57 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

The hardest part of all of it is if I don’t finish double par double, I force you to post a better score. I knew where I stood on the Par 5 last hole and hit a push slice into the trees. I thought about punching out sideways but knew if I did I was looking at par at best due to still being almost 300 out. I decided if I could punch out forward and advance the ball 50-100 that birdie was still in play and bogey was worst case scenario. Unfortunately I got a little too much air under the ball and caught a tree. Playing by myself I couldn’t find the ball after it hit the tree branch and it cost me a lost ball which brought double into reality. 

I cannot tell you how many time one branch on a tree has cost me so I know the feeling. I'm feeling like I'm probably going sometime this week upcoming for the final iron only.

• Like 4

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:cobra-small: F9 Speedback, 18.5, Hzrdus Yellow 70-S

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

:nickent-small: Pipe

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2019)

:CaddyTek: Caddylite 15.3 V1

Go Orange!

9 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

I cannot tell you how many time one branch on a tree has cost me so I know the feeling. I'm feeling like I'm probably going sometime this week upcoming for the final iron only.

Damn trees find the most inconsiderate places to decide to call home 😳

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

:titelist-small: TS1 10.5 Fubuki 45g Shaft

:taylormade-small: SIM Max 5w 18* Ventus Black 

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7,9 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T300 KBS TGI 80 5 iron thorugh 46 W2

:vokey-small: SM7 50.08, 54.08 and 58.14 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

... I will cover this in my review, but the addition of a 48* wedge means I have to make a choice on the top end of my bag. I have gotten used to playing a 3 wood, 19* hybrid and 18* DI but with the extra wedge there is not room for all of them. A dilemma for me because I love to hit my DI off the tee and sometimes need my hybrid from the rough. From the fairway I can use either depending on the shot. Windy 2nd shots on par 5's I like to use my DI 2 iron but for carry and the occasional shot where I can reach in two the hybrid is longer and my choice. Clearly until now,  I have been spoiled with both in my bag. Last few rounds it has cost me as I have made the wrong choice. Little to no wind predicted but got a good 10 mph and with the hybrid in my bag and I could have really used my 2 iron and of course never found myself in light rough so my hybrid was just along for the ride.

... The T100-S 4 iron is plenty of club without wind. In fact yesterday I played several holes with it (inspired by BlacknGold/Berg) and on the slightly uphill the whole way 543yd par 5 I hit 4 iron, 4 iron, 8 iron and just missed my birdie putt. Interesting because some trees and a bunker are in play off the tee with a driver but not with my 4 iron. The driver brings birdie into play but also bogie. T100-S 4 iron brings par into play with an outside shot at birdie but virtually illuminates bogie. Course management is always interesting because I have never thought to hit 4 iron off that tee. 

... I still have a few more weeks before the Stage 2 review and hope to have it figured out by then. Or not. 🤪 Edit: I did not realize until I took there pictures that I have Kuro Kage shafts in all those clubs! 80hy, 90hy and 105 Tini. 

aHeads.jpg.67f54ea9d5ab75021d6bcdaff99cb348.jpg
aSoles.jpg.49544ea29c3c396aa97482eb419460fb.jpg
aShafts.jpg.5ce3a7abb3998e5bbd0caae41350647e.jpg

• Like 9

Another round in today and unfortunately not a lot to report as I didn’t have the T200’s in my hands much today. I will say that this year has been the year of career rounds for me and today was no exception. As I posted in the how did you play thread I shot a 39/38 for a +5 77.  While today didn’t require the T200’s often when I did pull them out of the bag they were spot on. I did have 1 PW that I slightly mishit and left 20 yards short of my target which lead to bogey. Otherwise they were fairly point and shoot. 

I seem to be posting a lot about career rounds this year and I can’t lie, the T200’s have been in the bag for all of them I believe.  This is gonna be a fun last couple weeks of the review that is for sure!

• Like 9