TESTERS WANTED! ×

Best CHEAP Simulators

TShaffer

I'm sure I have missed a thread about this somewhere, so if you have the link, feel free to direct me there. But like most of you I'm sure, I am going a little stir crazy stuck inside right now. I frequently find myself shopping golf gear, watching YouTube clips, etc. Just to get that golf exposure. 

I want to get something to help curb the pain. I have mats and nets and all that jazz, but I want some type of simulator feedback. My issue is cost, I can't afford to set myself up with skytrak or anything more than a few hundred bucks. I know that limits me with what kind of data I can get etc. But I need something.

Who has had experience with the bargain side of golf simulation and what are your recommendations?

I'm desperate, I've considered pulling out Wii sports just to see a golf ball go more than 10 feet.

PRGR seems to be the most affordable - somewhat accurate - one.... 

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

the PRGR seems to be accurate enough that SuperSpeed Golf has ditched the swing speed radar in favor of it and are now selling that on their website

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

There is a difference between a simulator and launch h monitor. From a simulator perspective the low end option is skytrak. You can find launch monitors that will give you information like carry, launch, distance, etc. the less expensive versions don’t display anything other than numbers. You can search for personal launch monitors, there is some information on the forum. The guys at MGS did their most wanted testing which should give you a pretty good breakdown on your options.

https://mygolfspy.com/the-best-personal-launch-monitor-2019/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Might not help because of the price difference but I can vouch for Skytrak. I'd be interested to hear what the experience with Rmotion is,  as they can provide club data to the Skytrak's ball data. 

I know It’s gotten mixed reviews but the E6 connect Home Studio Mini is a good option if you’re about to resort to your Wii golf. Fiancé got me one for my birthday last week and it’s pretty fun once you get an understanding of how far you can hit each club compared to real life. That being said not the most accurate but can’t expect much when paying $250-280 for a “simulator”. 

If you have the room for it my father has an optishot 2 set up in his garage that the fam got him a few years ago. Whole set up was close to 1K. Stay safe! 

Watched a new review of the garmin g80 today, been out awhile now. Looked at the mevo and Rapsodo, I ordered the g80 today as I’m trying to set up a impromptu driving range in my garage, does a lot of stuff. Check them out

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

10 hours ago, Jbmullin said:

Watched a new review of the garmin g80 today, been out awhile now. Looked at the mevo and Rapsodo, I ordered the g80 today as I’m trying to set up a impromptu driving range in my garage, does a lot of stuff. Check them out

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Would love to hear your thoughts after you have a chance to play with it some.

On 4/3/2020 at 12:48 PM, TShaffer said:

Thanks for the suggestions! Does anybody have experience with Rapsodo R-Motion?

This was down to $100 at times in the past few months.  Granted it only had one clip option.  Wishing I would have pulled the trigger at that price, but did not.  In the same boat.  Would love to get something that's somewhat accurate and around the $300 mark if possible. 

Or may wait to end of year and ask the wife for a Skytrak for Christmas as there doesn't seem to be another golf simulator/monitor with as much to offer for the price point.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

I did by the prgr launch monitor and have just done dry swings (no golf balls) but for swing speed it seems to be very close to my trackman data of just two weeks ago.

It is small enough to carry in your bag and you won't notice it. Easy to read in the sun easy to change clubs appears decently made.

Compared to Swing speed radar the numbers just seem more realistic and consistent.

Ill try to post gain when I can hit some balls.

So far so good!

7 minutes ago, bjpjjs62 said:

I did by the prgr launch monitor and have just done dry swings (no golf balls) but for swing speed it seems to be very close to my trackman data of just two weeks ago.

It is small enough to carry in your bag and you won't notice it. Easy to read in the sun easy to change clubs appears decently made.

Compared to Swing speed radar the numbers just seem more realistic and consistent.

Ill try to post gain when I can hit some balls.

So far so good!

This sounds appealing. I'm always looking for something to bring to the range that will give me more information than 'guesstimating'... 

Looking forward to your results.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

On 4/3/2020 at 12:48 PM, TShaffer said:

Screenshot_20200403-104452~2.png

@20xUnited has some experience with R-motion

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Just re-read this article - https://mygolfspy.com/the-best-personal-launch-monitor-2019/

Doesn't sound that encouraging.... 

RANGE BALLS OR REAL BALLS?

Another hard truth; if you’re planning on collecting data while banging limited flight, beat to hell, or otherwise nondescript range balls, you’re not only wasting your time, you’re wasting money. If getting data with the ball you play is impossible, you should at least try and get data from a ball that’s similar to the ball you play. Failing that, make sure you’re using the same ball. That shouldn’t be too hard in indoor environments or hitting nets, but understand that if one ball you’re hitting isn’t like the next, there’s not much to be learned from whatever numbers appear on the screen from shot to shot.

If a literal mixed bag of range balls is your typical use-case, and you’re looking for more than just a good time, it probably makes sense to save your money.

EXPERT TIP - IF YOU'RE ON A BUDGET AND SERIOUS ABOUT DATA, WAIT

We understand how enticing a $500 launch monitor might be. There's plenty of demand, which is why there are a growing number of offerings trying to satisfy the cravings of average golfers. We've provided our best bets for those who absolutely want to buy now, but in our opinion, the offerings in this category are immature and lack the fundamental horsepower necessary to deliver data accurately and consistently.

If $500 is your ceiling, our advice is to wait until the technology improves, or until you've saved enough to step up a class. If the money is burning a hole in your pocket, spend it on lessons. There's more value to be had there than on a device that will almost certainly provide mixed and often unpredictable results.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

I think it depends on what data you want from the simulator/launch monitor.

This is a pretty decent article about how to use a launch monitor for practice and maybe that could help you with some decision making:
https://practical-golf.com/golf-launch-monitor-practice/

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

SC200 performs better than newer models according to some testers in other forums... The price is right on eBay and the remote is a nice feature for changing clubs. Accuracy looks to be similar to the PRGR. That is the monitor I am likely buying since SkyTraks are sold out, hoping it works a advertised indoors but will be nice to use at the range occasionally when this is all over also. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

There is a Japanese one on eBay right now for $129. You will need to use some language software to read the directions, and a calculator to change the data to mph   Sounds like a good project.

also the free one for iPhones “shot vision” just today debuted (sp?) a new format and perhaps upgraded software? Of course they made the change right after a 3 hour gapping session which ate all of the data I’ve been accumulating for the last few days. I’ll try it tomorrow and see how it goes...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2020 at 11:48 AM, TShaffer said:

Screenshot_20200403-104452~2.png

I bought a gently used one about three months ago, and I am VERY thankful I did since the current state of things allows me lost of opportunity to use it.  Some of this you will find in other places, but here is my general observations about it.

FIRST-you have to have a computer (if you are using the simulation software and not just the launch monitor) that is capable of processing DirectX 12.0 video or better.  Because it was time to upgrade anyway, I did buy a Dell G3 laptop that has a dedicated graphic card with built in memory.  If you have a hitting screen and you want to use a projector, you can't skimp on this.  I am just using a hitting net and looking at my results on my laptop at medium rendering, but it is powerful enough that when I upgrade, it will give a realistic view.  My computer has an Nvidia 1650gtx processor.

Second-if you are using this indoors, make sure you have the right ceiling hight and area (as you would for any simulator).  You can TRICK the system if you can't swing a driver inside by playing with the loft and lengths in the chart where you enter the data for your clubs.  

The actual software itself is included is the Total Golf Club software that allows you play 15 courses of various lengths and difficulties, and it is pretty nice compared to PhiGolf or OptiShot.  While the distances and club data may not be as accurate as a Foresight or SkyTrack, it is 1/10th the cost.  The software will give you smash factor, swing path degree readings (inside/out), how open or closed your club is at impact, swing speed, ball speed, spin speed, distance, and even allow you to play with using your higher loft clubs to pitch, punch, chip, or perform flop shots.  

There are some things you will learn as you play with it to troubleshoot and improve your game, but that will take time.  As with most simulators, putting is a challenge.  The greens with the software are VERY fast, so you will have to adjust.  Also, check to make sure, if you buy it, that your set comes with the new clips instead of the old ones.  The older ones (looks like they had a long silver tightening screw) break very easily.  You also want to make sure your sensor is properly inserted into the clip, or it will go flying.  You will know if it is in right because you will feel some (not a lot) of resistance as you slide it in.  If you don't feel much resistance, it is not in right and it will go flying.

A final feature of the software, which I love, is that if you hit a bad shot, you have a chance to REWIND the shot and hit it again.  Nothing like a built-mulligan when you have a bad swing.

If there is one downside of the product, besides the clips and putting, it is the Rapsodo has totally gone all in on their development with their launch monitor.  They have not provided an update to the software and firmware in over a year.  I spoke to a product rep at the golf show in St. Louis, where Rapsodo is based, and he swore that there would be a 2020 update.  So far, no luck.

Avoid OptiShot.  An honest manager at a GolfGalaxy store told me they have a lot of returns and one or two bad hits will shatter it.

Good luck.

Bag: :callaway-small: Diablo Red

Driver: :srixon-small: Z355 (10°)

Fairway Wood: :adams-small: XTD TI (15°)

Hybrids: :srixon-small: AD Hybrid (18°), :cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 4H Hybrid - 22°

Irons: :callaway-small: Diablo Forged Irons (Regular Flex) 5- AW

Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 54°, :755178188_TourEdge: 1 Out Sand Wedge 58° 

Putter: :755178188_TourEdge: HP Series Nickel 05  

Ball: :srixon-small:(if new) but usually it is what I can find on the side, in the woods, or what I dig out of a lake with my grabber.

...SWMBO was talking about our "government money" this afternoon and I casually said 'would you mind if I used 2000 of it for golf?' ....

... and the dream of a SkyTrak died a quick and sudden death. 😢

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Anyone use a swing caddie 

SC200

SC200plus

SC300

that can share their experience?  Not a sim but they do seem to have some pretty good data and are super portable so there's usage outside of just being at your home.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0