scanepa

What’s your favorite grip?

Our Sponsors

18 minutes ago, Saluki91 said:

Please file this under "I read it on the internet, so it must be true"...

Years ago, I read a post by a very reputable club builder (may have been Dana Upshaw, but I can't swear to that...) on a now defunct forum (GEA) that warned against blowing Grip Master wraps on and off with compressed air.  The reasoning (as I recall) was that the wrap constricted the underlisting to the point that air would damage the rubber, leather, or both.  Given that information, I have always used tape and solvent when installing my leather wraps.

I have removed Grip Masters with a Golfsmith blade-style remover, and I don't enjoy it.  It is very easy to stretch the wrap loose, and I worry about excessive solvent taking the tack out of the leather.

Do you use a blade to remove yours, or have you been successful with compressed air?

Thanks!

I have been successful taking them off with air about 90% of the time.  When that doesn't work, I have one of those metal rods that you use to make a little gap and insert some V&P Naptha and do it manually.  That sucks.  I've not blown one apart.  Note: When installing, I use painters tape and V&M Naptha.

Driver:  :ping-small: G410 Plus, VA Vylyn 75 Four
Woods: :cobra-small:F8, F6 Baffer
Hybrids: :callaway-small: XR 4, 5
Irons: :ping-small:G25 6 - GW, Nippon 950GH Stiff
Wedges:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54/WS, Zing LW
Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Craz-E

Leupold GX-4i3, Arccos

Penalty Box: :EVNROLL:ER7

2 hours ago, Dr Strangelove said:

I have been successful taking them off with air about 90% of the time.  When that doesn't work, I have one of those metal rods that you use to make a little gap and insert some V&P Naptha and do it manually.  That sucks.  I've not blown one apart.  Note: When installing, I use painters tape and V&M Naptha.

Thanks!  I have one set of Perf Warps left, and I'll try them with air when my current grips wear out.

Stay healthy and safe!

• Like 1

Used to be into the Pure Pros, liked them quite a bit.  But when there's a bit of moisture involved, not so good.  Have been using Crosslines or Star Grip Sidewinders the last couple years.

Going to try testing leather again.  I tend to run on the warm side and we get our share of gulf coast humidity every summer (just not as constant as they get).  Bought a GripMaster Roo that I've put on a SW, and have a couple Best Grips Microperfs that I'll be testing on a couple irons.  Used the SW w/Roo this past weekend, with success.  My leather attempt in the past, I found the grips were a bit slick in the cool/dry Minnesota fall.  The Roo showed no signs of that, in mid-40s temps.  

If I can bring myself to play a single set (yeah, that'll happen), I'll probably put one form of leather grips on them...

• Like 1

Orlimar Persimmon Driver & 3w, Dynamic S
2 iron:  Golfsmith Professional Grind, Rifle 6.5
3-PW:  Mizuno MP37, DGS300
GW: Mizuno Pro 52*, DGS300
SW:  Ram TG-898 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1 or Mizuno TPM-2, both 34", or Cleveland Huntington Beach 1 or Tad Moore Pro1P, both 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Pro, Srixon ZStar, Snell MTB Black, occasionally will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90

Sometimes play 1-SW Golden Ram TW282 or 1-SW 1980 Golden Rams

Occasionally swap out 1i/2i for Orlimar 4w, Dynamic S

On 4/6/2020 at 4:45 AM, juspoole said:

Multicompound New Decade Midsize +4 for me.  I don't have to regrip near as often and they give great grip throughout the shot.  Not much vibration dampening, but that isn't really anything I'm am looking for anyhow.

I worked at a golf shop and these were by far out best seller. Biggest selling point was how well they held up in any condition! People would also come in with those grips wore out and they said they've had them for a few years. In my opinion, best choice for a grip.

• Like 1

Another vote here for MCC +4. Easily the best grip I've had. 

• Like 1

Ping G410 Plus 9 degree - Ventus Blue 7x

Titleist TS3 Hybrid 19 degree - Tour AD 105x

Taylormade P790 3 Iron - Dynamic Gold x100

Mizuno MP-20 4-PW - Dynamic Gold x100 (4-8) s400 (9-PW)

Callaway Jaws 50,56 degree - Dynamic Gold s400

Callaway PM grind 60 degree- Dynamic Gold s400

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 

Taylormade Spider-X 

Titleist AVX

On 4/19/2020 at 9:08 PM, Saluki91 said:

Absolute Favorite - Grip Master Perf Wrap... A big $ commitment on the front end, but they last forever, and get better with age.  Unfortunately, I have a "small problem" with equipment, and buy/trade/sell  far too often to justify the investment in leather.

Favorite grips without taking out a second mortgage - Lamkin UTX... The perfect combination of tacky and traction.

Favorite from "Back in the day" - Lamkin Crossline Classic Cord (I must have been the only person that liked them)

I have been installing mine using blue painters tape, light soap solution and air. If I decide to change shafts/clubs, I just blow them off and reinstall on the new ones.

BT

• Like 2

On 4/21/2020 at 3:01 PM, NRJyzr said:

Used to be into the Pure Pros, liked them quite a bit.  But when there's a bit of moisture involved, not so good.  Have been using Crosslines or Star Grip Sidewinders the last couple years.

Going to try testing leather again.  I tend to run on the warm side and we get our share of gulf coast humidity every summer (just not as constant as they get).  Bought a GripMaster Roo that I've put on a SW, and have a couple Best Grips Microperfs that I'll be testing on a couple irons.  Used the SW w/Roo this past weekend, with success.  My leather attempt in the past, I found the grips were a bit slick in the cool/dry Minnesota fall.  The Roo showed no signs of that, in mid-40s temps.  

If I can bring myself to play a single set (yeah, that'll happen), I'll probably put one form of leather grips on them...

Be interested to hear what you think.  I just ordered a couple Grip Master wraps to try, its my first time trying leather grips.  I like a round grip so I was a little Leary about ordering Best Grips, but I have heard the seam isn't very noticable

Ping G400 LST 10* - Rogue silver 110

Callaway Rogue 15* - Even Flow Blue

Callaway Apex 18* & 23*  Kuro Kage

Ping i500 (reg spec) Steelfiber 110CW

Ping i210 6-UW Steelfiber 110CW

Ping Glide 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold X100 SoftStepped

Ping Nome TR

Golf Pride Jumbo Tour Wraps on Irons

MCC +4 on wedges, like cciciora13 comment above, like the extra wrap at the bottom of the grip. .

Tried the Winn Dri-Tac WRAP Jumbo's, however after the first rain, took grips off and went back to Golf pride Tour Wraps.   Winn Grips became slippery when wet! 

On 4/4/2020 at 7:41 PM, cciciora13 said:

I love the multicompound MCC plus 4 grips. Those extra wraps on my bottom hand just help me relax my grip.

Currently using GripMaster Kidd's... tacky and durable.  

• Like 1

WITB

Driver: Titleist TS2 10.5º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard

5 Wood: Titleist 909F2 18.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Hybrids: Titleist 816 H1 21º & 25º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Irons (6-PW): Srixon 765 w/ Project X LZ

Wedges: 50º Ping Glide, 54º & 60º PXG 0311

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Mil Spec

Lamkin Crossline for me ... Switched from tour velvet Golf Pride... Cant go wrong either way !!!

I enjoy Cord grips, and my personal favorites are Lamkin UTX followed closely by Golf Pride Z Cord. 

I used to be dedicated to Winn Dri-Tacs, but then my new Mizuno irons came with Golf Pride MCC New Decade's and I have become a HUGE fan of them.  Gonna end up putting them on the Vokeys I just got and my woods when I re-grip this winter.  Might try the MCC Plus4 and see what they're all about.  Anyone try them and like them?

• Like 1

download.png.70f309c82ad44a20c4a21dd4294734cf.png  Mizuno ST180 driver, Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S shaft

download.png.70f309c82ad44a20c4a21dd4294734cf.png Mizuno ST190 3 wood, Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S shaft

download.png.70f309c82ad44a20c4a21dd4294734cf.png  Mizuno MP18 SC 3i-PW, KBS Tour 120 stiff shafts

2138902261_download(1).png.0e0a650bda5b8e1a6fe2a4edb16a8902.png Titleist Vokey SM7 F grind 50*-08* wedge flex

2138902261_download(1).png.0e0a650bda5b8e1a6fe2a4edb16a8902.png Titleist Vokey SM7 S grind 54*-10* wedge flex

2138902261_download(1).png.0e0a650bda5b8e1a6fe2a4edb16a8902.png Titleist Vokey SM7 K grind 58*-14* wedge flex

RIFE---RIFE---CABINET-GRAPHIC.jpg.84ec6d80cb1844e5c0c5325b1983f3fd.jpg Rife RFX Raider, 34"

srixon.png.a2032b0f711ea5613d687757a5449e64.png Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV balls

unnamed.jpg.b462311d1bccd433919659e8932db7ea.jpg Ping C-4 Hoofer stand bag

25 minutes ago, chadwzimm said:

I used to be dedicated to Winn Dri-Tacs, but then my new Mizuno irons came with Golf Pride MCC New Decade's and I have become a HUGE fan of them.  Gonna end up putting them on the Vokeys I just got and my woods when I re-grip this winter.  Might try the MCC Plus4 and see what they're all about.  Anyone try them and like them?

Mcc+4 or nothing 

I’ve had a number of rounds with the Lamkin Sonar now. I can see staying with these for quite some time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

CP2 Wrap midsize... my favorite to date.

20200425_120050.jpg

20200518_175939.jpg

• Like 1

One thing I don't like about trying clubs is that seemingly every grip is a standard grip.  I switched to Golf Pride Tour Velvet Jumbo about 7 years ago in my wedges to help take my wrists out of the swing on chips and get away from the yips, and liked it so much that I changed all of my clubs to the jumbo grip.  I wear a M/L glove so I don't have huge hands, but I also use a double overlap grip (right pinkie and ring overlap the left).  There was a brief adjustment period, but I didn't lose any distance and my game got much more consistent.

I also converted my 70 year old dad a few years ago and it's helped both his swing and his joints a ton.

Most people that I've talked to have never tried a different sized grip, so I would recommend taking an old wedge or short iron from an old set and getting a bigger grip to see how it hits on the range and on the practice green.  I'd also be interested in trying the jumbo max grips on a spare club to see how they feel, but I don't see myself ever going back to standard or mid-sized grip.

:755178188_TourEdge: Driver: Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 beta. Ozik Matrix Black Tie Shaft Extra Stiff

:adams-small:3 Wood:  Adams TightLies Titanium 3+  - Shaft Bassara E55 x5ct

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 2.  16.5°-  Stock Shaft- Stiff

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

Grips: Golf Pride Tour velvet jumbo

:odyssey-small:Putter: Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth- Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip

:taylormade-small:Bag: Taylormade FlexTech Lifestyle Carry bag- Houndstooth

I jumped on the plus4 bandwagon a few seasons ago. Feel as though I lost a bunch of feel and tempo when I did. Went back to the standard golf pride mcc and love it. I still have the plus4 in my 3wood only because I haven't had the time to get it regripped during all the covid closures and I immediately feel it anytime I grab the club. 

GP MCCs here.  (No plus 4...not a fan.)

I played Winn Dri-Tac for a long time and really liked them; felt like they held their tackiness well.  But, they seemed to wear out pretty quick.  Then I went to the Lamkin UTX Wrap, which I felt was significantly superior to the standard UTX.

Now, MCCs all around, with the exception of Super Stroke grips on my 54 and 58...want something a little softer for feel.

Driver: :callaway-small:Great Big Bertha Epic, 10.5, Project X HZRDOUS 55g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrid::tour-edge:CBX 119 3H, 18, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM7 54 S Grind, 58 M Grind

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: California Monterey 1.5, Superstroke Flatso 1.0 grip

:SuperSpeed:

I am currently going through a period of questioning what the right grip and grip size is for me. Pondering going back to undersized grips, which I had used for a short period of time.

• Like 1

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Fujikura and Nippon fan. Connoisseur of grips.

Updated 5/26/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Nippon Zelos 7 Hybrid S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  :scotty-small: Squareback 1 - Sense Grips S1

Current Putter Collection:EVNROLL: ER10 Outback,  :bettinardi-small: 2017 Studio Stock 3, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)