Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How Much Do You Chat While Playing?

Hoganman1

I usually golf with my dad and sister so there is always conversation going on. If with friends, we talk to catch up but are quiet from time to time. 

WITB:Driver: Titleist 915D2, Diamana Whiteboard 72X

3 Wood: Callaway DR, Project X 6.5

Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot, Aldila Trinity X

Irons: 4-PW, Mizuno MP68, Project X 6.5

Wedges: 52, Callaway X Tour, Project X

56, Cleveland 588, Project X

60, Callaway Mac Daddy, Project X

Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I'm always up for a chat, but always stop before someone starts their pre shot routine. Other than to compliment a good shot I try not to talk about golf much. In the bar it's another story, I generally only pause talking to have a drink.

It's not my fault, my mother could talk under water with a mouth full of marbles.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Double post, I must be desperate for a chat😉

Edited by Peaksy68
Double post

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I'll talk as much as the people I'm playing with want to talk. I don't really care to play with people who don't know when to shut up though.

Ping G430 Driver, 19° Hybrid, Ping Anser 23° Hybrid, Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-GW, Ping 54°&58° Glides, Scotty Cameron 5.5

We quote movies, but with a golf twist. Goodfellas seems to be a favorite.

For example, the scene at the beginning when they grab the mailman “one more bogey shows up on this kids score card and it’s in the Fng bunker ya go”

Stuff like that

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Depends who I am playing with my father is hard of hearing so we only talk when we are close cant be yelling across the fairway haha. When I play with a buddy of mine we talk golf pretty much the whole time, hes a caddy so I like hearing about his experiences and the occasional suggestion haha. I dont mind playing with someone who likes to talk but I personally appreciate a pause in the convo from the point I'm lining up a shot until after I hit it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

On 4/5/2020 at 9:19 PM, GB13 said:

As someone who plays as a single quite frequently, I feel my answer varies widely based on who I’m paired with.

As for the social people? I usually find one of two types. (Painting with a broad brush here.) People who chatter incessantly and boast about themselves, and people who want to have a good time with good conversations. With the first type, I’m not very chatty, just the occasional, polite, “Very interesting.” With the second type, I’ll be much more friendly and chat back and forth, inject some good natured trash talk etc... 

... Well stated GB13. Playing 107 rounds in 117 days last winter in Phoenix I was paired up with literally hundreds of strangers. I made several friends and we played together a couple times but mostly I was paired up with strangers. I love conversation during a round and am not shy about starting conversations with the people I am paired up with. Maybe because I am an actor and a successful performance depends on really listening and responding. People will always let you know how much they want to talk if you pay attention. Some just like to listen but it is easy to see they enjoy what I have to say, while others make it equally clear they are not up for a lot of talking and a few like no talking at all. I think you can discover all this from the first tee thru the second hole. Of course I stop any conversation once a player begins looking at their shot.

... But even though I enjoy conversation on the course I too hate the selfish chatterbox that talks non stop about themselves or their business. I don't mind quiet or shy players that still smile and talk just a little, but I am a little uncomfortable with people that don't want to talk at all because it feels like I am an intruder since they rarely make eye contact, but thankfully that is very rare. I have found that the vast majority of people enjoy conversation as long as it is interesting and relatable. And never politics.

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Pretty soon, I won't be able to remember what playing was like.

I play with pretty much the same people, at the same place, all the time, and while my group never shuts up, I'm sure that there are others who stay more focused.

At a club, birds of a feather tend to flock together, particularly in non organized,  casual play.

But right now, I'm trying to maintain hope that we'll ever play again.

• 3 weeks later...

It's not just you. Everyone is different, so you will find the whole range of talkativeness (is that a word?) in your playing partners. I generally golf with people I know well, so our talking styles are well known to the others. The key thing I find is that you need to pay a little attention to how you interact with new people and how your talking affects the others - and vice versa. Don't be afraid to tell someone that you don't normally talk much as you prefer the quiet to focus on your game. It might help a bit.

TaylorMade M5 driver, M2 3 wood

Mizuno JPX921 blend - Hot Metal Pro 4-6, Forged 7-PW

Cleveland CBX ZipCore Wedges - 48, 52, 58

Scotty Cameron Squareback putter

Not much, usually.  Im usually pretty quiet and reserved on the course.  Im there to play golf, not to socialize.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

We picked up a new guy for Monday group and a different guy for Wednesday.
Monday the guy a retired NY cop was a talkative, friendly person he fit in OK.
Wednesday’s guy was quiet 1st couple weeks but this morning I guess he was feeling comfortable and started chirping away, he will also fit in great.
BTW, both guys play ready golf!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

It’s all who I play with. If I play with my usual group, we try to focus on the golf round with encouragement on good shots, playful banter/talk through what happened on bad shots. Afterwords is when we talk all things other than golf unless some of us made some birdies/eagles and like to recap it.

If I get paired up with someone new, I get a feel for him/her on the first hole. I’m fine with not talking, but sometimes it eases your nerves getting to talk to someone about a bad shot/good shot.

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

Depends on the company and how long we had to wait to tee off.

Small talk is welcomed by me when I'm not in the process of making a golf shot.   However, I had played with company whom deserve nothing else but a "nice shot" once in awhile.  I've had matched up with golfers whom were just a chatter box.... didn't mind that as longs as they kept quiet when I stand over a shot.  Absolutely no noise when I stand over a putt.  

I enjoyed a good casual conversation ( away from Religion, Politics, and subjects that's too personal to be discussed on the golf course ).  Over the decades I had enjoyed the meeting of strangers on the first tee box for 4-5 hours of golf.  Only remembered a couple of cases of unpleasant encounters which I didn't even offer to shake hands after putt out on the 18th.   I like that better than playing with the same group of golfers every week.

Perhaps, I would enjoy golfing with the same group of guys when I get to a point not able to remember names...................

I talk mostly to myself, the only honest conversation going on... if there is anybody else there then It varies, frpm the,genteel small talk w the unfamilar people to cut throat insults from the beloved family members, the better we know each other, the fiercer it is.

• Guests
Guest Delete

I usually can't shut up unless someone is in the tee or putting. Everything else is fair game. 

My favorite is yelling "FORE" for my playing partners as public humiliation when they hit their shot onto another hole. 

6 minutes ago, TimoTe said:

I usually can't shut up unless someone is in the tee or putting. Everything else is fair game. 

My favorite is yelling "FORE" for my playing partners as public humiliation when they hit their shot onto another hole. 

I think you have created an entire thread, "When to yell fore, when not, why, why not, premature fore yelling, etc...." There is a whole science to it.

• Guests
Guest Delete
10 hours ago, SlowNLow said:

I think you have created an entire thread, "When to yell fore, when not, why, why not, premature fore yelling, etc...." There is a whole science to it.

My rule is if the ball is headed away from the hole we are playing or at the group in front = loud and obnoxious "FORE" to add public humiliation to the mix. 

My playing partners know I'm paying attention, 😉

When I am in a walking group I speak when spoken to. But in a cart I do have casual conversation. Also, if I am playing in a scramble/best ball tournament there is way more conversation for obvious reasons. IF on a rare occasion I get grouped with an obnoxious type, I distance myself as best I can. 

I'll usually have a short chat to start the round, but I'm generally pretty quiet and don't reveal a lot when playing.  Usually just comments about how I'm playing or how they're playing, if they're playing well.

WITB

Driver: Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Taylor Made 300 Mini 11.5º w/ Fuji Ventus TR Red

Hybrids: Callaway Super Hybrid 17º w/ Tensei Orange

Titleist 816 H1 21º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil

Irons (6-43º): Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

Wedges: 48º Vokey SM6, 54º SM8, 60º Tour Issued Hand Ground Vokey

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

On 5/9/2020 at 1:52 PM, release said:

I enjoyed a good casual conversation ( away from Religion, Politics, and subjects that's too personal to be discussed on the golf course ).  Over the decades I had enjoyed the meeting of strangers on the first tee box for 4-5 hours of golf.  Only remembered a couple of cases of unpleasant encounters which I didn't even offer to shake hands after putt out on the 18th.   I like that better than playing with the same group of golfers every week.

The league I play with has a short list of rules. But “no talking religion or politics” is one of them, and IMO it’s a very good idea. The few times anyone I’ve played with in league seemed to be straying to either topic, another player will politely remind them “no politics or religion.” Fortunately I haven’t run into many players who want to go there.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

In life, I am not a super talkative person. But in golf, I tend to talk more than I normally would, especially when I can tell that someone I am paired up with is into golf equipment, like if they have the latest equipment, aftermarket shafts, etc. Every person I have been paired up with lately has a 2020 Scotty Cameron.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

20 minutes ago, Middler said:

The league I play with has a short list of rules. But “no talking religion or politics” is one of them, and IMO it’s a very good idea. The few times anyone I’ve played with in league seemed to be straying to either topic, another player will politely remind them “no politics or religion.” Fortunately I haven’t run into many players who want to go there.

Many of friendship and marriage had run into rocky ground over those type of topics of discussion.

I go to golf course to get away from the daily grinds, not to be immersed back into it.   The rule makers for your local league had good foresight of keeping the harmony between the members.   The toy has to be removed, if kids can't play well together with it.

• Guests
Guest Delete
On 5/21/2020 at 10:30 AM, Middler said:

It's a great way to get someone of their game so best avoided if you have any respect for them. 

I like to talk religion and politics while keeping judgement out of it. Being open minded to other's viewpoint helps me understand the world better. I know when to let it go because some cannot discuss politics, they can only judge and rant. 

We play with a large group of other members (men and women) and most are pretty comfortable having conversations even while putting or hitting the ball.  There's usually music blaring in the background as well.  As long as you expect it, as a ongoing conversation, everyone does it.  Making an unexpected sound like throwing your club in the bag or unzipping something loudly during someone's swing will get your throat slit and thrown into the hazards however.

You'll also never hear positive reinforcement for your ball in-flight either.  It's always 'get in the water' or trap, etc.  A few of the ladies started it all, but it turns out golf is more fun when you voice what your really thinking.

Very polite with strangers across the board of course.

Edited by PDT816

Driver: Titleist 917 10.5*
3 Wood: Titliest 917
Hybrid: Titleist 818

Irons: Mizuno JPX 850 Forged w/ True Temper XP 115

Wedges: Volkey SM5 M Grind 54° & 58°; 8° bounce

Putter: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Notchback

Grips: Golf Pride MCCPlus4 midsized

Preferred ball: Bridgestone Tour B-RX, ProV 1X

• 3 weeks later...

It all depends, I try to talk very little, but most of my partners are chatter boxes, so I got no choice but to talk with them, the great thing about walking is that most of times they go off to find their balls as I walk to mine so no talking.

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

Funny to read this post, i'm a quite golfer, occasionally get into some conversation but mostly am trying to enjoying the round. I save all the talking to after the round with a tasty beverage. BUT i have gotten paired with some talkative individuals, to the extend I had ask one guy if he need it some Oxygen because I wasn't sure he was getting any with as much talking he was doing. 🤣

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50 (Terra Forza White Shaft Testing)
3 -Wood:  Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag

I'm naturally a pretty quiet guy and keep to myself, but am happy to strike up a conversation depending on who I am playing with. In casual rounds it really doesn't bother me if someone is chatty unless they repeatedly talk during my swing or are obnoxiously loud. There have been plenty of times where I've practically carried on a conversation while swinging, but in those cases I'm normally the one talking. Unless riding in a cart with someone or walking alongside them, there really aren't a lot of great opportunities to have meaningful conversation on the course.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour