Looking for Push/Pull Cart - Best Value under $200?

Our Sponsors

I feel like I'm getting old, but it's time to break down and get a push/pull cart since my back won't hold up for carrying 18 holes anymore. I'm looking for advice.

1.) Pros/cons on push vs pull?

2.) Best value for under $200?

Requirements: Needs to be easy to fold/break down to put in trunk (play lots of different courses and need to take it with me!).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Mick

• Like 3

Titleist AP2 718 - AMT White S300 Shafts, Standard Length and Lie

Rocketballz RBZ Stage 2 - 10.5 degrees, Stiff 60g Fujikura Rocketfuel Shaft

Right Handed

Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Handicap - 7.8

Push is easier on your back.    Reconditioned Clicgear is hard to beat. https://www.clicgearusa.com/collections/clicgear/products/reconditioned-clicgear-rovic-carts

• Like 5

Driver -  :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 
Woods - :callaway-small:   Mavrik 3 Wood & Epic Flash  Heavenwood
Hybrid - :callaway-small:   Epic Flash 4H
Irons - :callaway-small:   Rogue X 5 - AW
Wedges -  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 54* & 58*
Putter -   :EVNROLL: ER2
Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE
Ball - :Snell: MTB-X

Bag -  2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag

Check out my 2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag Review here  

Thanks for the input! I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks,
Mick

Titleist AP2 718 - AMT White S300 Shafts, Standard Length and Lie

Rocketballz RBZ Stage 2 - 10.5 degrees, Stiff 60g Fujikura Rocketfuel Shaft

Right Handed

Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Handicap - 7.8

17 hours ago, Micklars said:

I feel like I'm getting old, but it's time to break down and get a push/pull cart since my back won't hold up for carrying 18 holes anymore. I'm looking for advice.

1.) Pros/cons on push vs pull?

2.) Best value for under $200?

Requirements: Needs to be easy to fold/break down to put in trunk (play lots of different courses and need to take it with me!).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Mick

Just a thought.... you can also pull a push cart. I know many players on my home coarse that switch it up during a round. I am going to purchase a push cart when this "thing" is stable and I'm back to work.

• Like 3

Pull carts are basically no frills:

• No storage compartments 
  • Two wheels
  • Compact
  • Inexpensive

Push carts have more features available:

• Storage options
  • Three/four wheels
  • Easy to push
  • Holds an umbrella
  • Holds a smartphone/GPS device
  • Hold a cigar
  • Seat attachment
  • Several styles, brands and options on the market

I’ve had both and prefer a pushcart. There are compact versions out there and available under $200, e.g., Rovic, TGW’s own brand.

• Like 2

DRIVER :ping-small: G410 PLUS 10.5°  TENSEI CK ORANGE 60 S

FAIRWAY :ping-small: G410 3/14.5°  PROJECT X EVENFLOW BLACK 85 6.0

HYBRIDS :ping-small: G410 19°, 20°  ALTA CB 70 RED

IRONS :mizuno-small: JPX 900 FORGED 5-PW  PROJECT X LZ 5.5

WEDGES :cleveland-small: CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°

PUTTER :ping-small: KARSTEN ANSER 33"

BALL :wilson_staff_small: DUO U

7 hours ago, berkeleybob said:

Pull carts are basically no frills:

• No storage compartments 
  • Two wheels
  • Compact
  • Inexpensive

Push carts have more features available:

• Storage options
  • Three/four wheels
  • Easy to push
  • Holds an umbrella
  • Holds a smartphone/GPS device
  • Hold a cigar
  • Seat attachment
  • Several styles, brands and options on the market

I’ve had both and prefer a pushcart. There are compact versions out there and available under $200, e.g., Rovic, TGW’s own brand.

Can you not pull a push cart? 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have been looking at the Big Max IQ+. It is $199.99 with free shipping from the company website. Just researching to make sure it will hold a stand bag before I pull the trigger. 

• Like 2

Driver:  :taylormade-small: SIM Max w/ Ventus Blue

3W: :taylormade-small: M4

Hybrid: Nike Sumo 2

Irons: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0211 w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG 52, 56, 60

Putter::cameron-small: Studio 3.5

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RX 

Push cart is much easier to handle. I like walking a golf course but carrying a bag for 18 holes is a lot on someone's back at any age. I decided to buy a CaddyTek Caddy Cruiser One ($159 on Amazon) and I loved it for all of the one round I got play before covid-19 shut us down. I was much looser for my swings and it was a much more relaxing round. I tried a few hand carts and I can say that a four wheel cart is much easier to maneuver than a three wheel cart.

Edited by OsoBear
Typo
  • Like 2

:cobra-small: F9 9° Driver

:ping-small: G410 14.5° 3 wood

:ping-small: G410 17° Hybrid

:ping-small: i500 4i-UW

:titelist-small: SM8 56° SW

:titelist-small: SM8 60° LW

:cameron-small: Select Squareback 2018 Putter

:Snell: MTB-X Yellow

:Ogio: 2020 Convoy SE Cart bag

:footjoy-small: Tour X

I just broke down and got a cart for Christmas.  I got a Caddeytek off of Amazon for about 160, hower i see they are now over 200.  I've used it a couple of times now and I love it.   maybe after the crisis is over the price will come back down.  Still, I found this cart to be a good fit for me.

• Like 1

Mike McLellan

I was once given a tip to take 5 strokes off my game, it was called an "Eraser". 🤣

Another fan of 4 wheel push carts here.

Look on the MGS forums under User Reviews and under Most Wanted Testing sections; also look around online to compare folded dimensions, weight, etc .. whatever features are most important to you.

Generally Bag Boy, ClicGear and Big Max seem to get the most favorable mentions.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (both Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway XR 4H (Project X SD)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 (Rotex graphite) and Callaway X-Jaws 60 (TT-DG S300)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking for cart that folds up pretty compact.  We travel full time in our travel trailer and storage space is limited.  As much as I'd like to just throw the clubs on my shoulder and head down the fairway that is not the reality these days.  Any suggestions would be welcomed.

• Like 1

Bought a Bag Boy (can't remember the model) last year and have be pleased. Folds compact in less than 10 seconds. 

• Like 1

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ Aldila  DVS

:macgregor-small: MT 3W Aldila DVS/Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST V2

:titelist-small: 915H3 Diamana

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro Apex 4

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S

:titelist-small: Cameron Studio Design #5/Cameron Santa Fe

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Late to the game as a 50 year old, I never considered carrying my bag. Wearing 60lbs of equipment everywhere I went for 10 months in a war zone my body just doesn't handle that kind of compression load as well as it once did.  Started with a pull cart but after the twisting pull left or right dragging a cart from behind gave me back aches the only answer was the push ahead cart.  I am a budget golfer as in the family budget requires cutting costs always, and for the push cart after extensive research there was only one choice for something new as a one-time purchase: Clicgear 3.5+ from the refurbished site on their website and a phone call to the ordering department to find out what was on-hand to purchase that moment.  They had exactly what I was looking for, black and that only comes with black wheels.  It shipped that day and arrived by truck shipment 5 days later in a box that was new with a cart inside that was by all appearances new.  Even the frame tubing was still wrapped in plastic sleeves.  It had one extra mounting point where I think a sand dispenser would be kept, otherwise it was mint.  Best part for budget was it was under $200 delivered.

Love the push ahead for body alignment regardless of up, down or side slope.  Clubs are immediately in view and ready for choosing what to use next while approaching the ball.  I have a bicycle handlebar phone mount to hold my phone where I can see the SwingU app to track shots and keep score (for grins more than anything as I don't care about how much exercise I get between first tee and last cup).  I carry extra water bottles from the attachments with D-rings and also a small cooler for things to be kept cold and not in the golf bag pockets.  The umbrella holder is fantastic for rain light or heavy and the large wheels are perfect for anything I'm willing to walk through.  Folding and opening is easy and takes less time than it takes to put the golf bag into the vehicle. 

South Park GC 20200601 1st green with S.H_shirt_bagtowel_Copy.JPG

Edited by EasyPutter
Adding photo
  • Like 4

Verified Hack, 28 handicap (down 2 this summer) 🙂  Golfing for exercise and peace of mind.

|> Big Dogs: Langert Foiler Driver 8.75*, TaylorMade M3 3w, O'Donnell hybrids 10*, 15*, 19*, 27*, Ginty 29* trouble club

|> Blades: MasterGrip 3i & 5i, Dynacraft Copperhead 7i, Wilson 8i, Worx 55* hybrid wedge, Lovett 59* hybrid wedge

|> Flatstick: Pinemeadow Z-ON M1   |> Ball: foster orphans (OnCore for PuttUp Review)   |> App: SwingU/Looper 

CoverLogoS-H c sm.png "The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course"  www.stickandhack.com

⛳.  :1590477705_SunMountain: C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳  :taylormade-small:    🏌️‍♂️              EPLogo sm.jpg

On 4/27/2020 at 9:02 AM, rbgntx said:

I am looking for cart that folds up pretty compact.  We travel full time in our travel trailer and storage space is limited.  As much as I'd like to just throw the clubs on my shoulder and head down the fairway that is not the reality these days.  Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Sorry for being late to this thread.

Define "pretty compact".  Most quad carts fold up pretty compact.  I have used the Sun Mountain MicroCart for about 8 years, and I can get two of them and two bags in my trunk (Dodge Charger).  The Bag Boy Quad XL is a good cart that I looked at as well.

If I were going to replace my cart, I would consider Big Max.  They have models that fold up very flat, which might be useful to store in a travel trailer.  They are rather expensive, but have a great reputation.  Not sure of their availability given COVID-19.

https://us.bigmaxgolf.com/golf-carts/

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Anyone else really struggling to find ANY push carts available online? I guess it's pretty understandable for places to be sold out... but if anyone knows a good online place to look then I would appreciate the help. 

Thanks

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G400 

Woods: Ping G400, G30

Irons: Ping i200

Wedges: Titleist SM6 & SM7

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab One

On 4/10/2020 at 8:07 PM, CGERICKE22 said:

I have been looking at the Big Max IQ+. It is $199.99 with free shipping from the company website. Just researching to make sure it will hold a stand bag before I pull the trigger. 

Did you pull the trigger on the cart? If so, any update on how you like it? Looks like they should be back in stock late-June and I'm going to try to pick one up once they're back in stock

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G400 

Woods: Ping G400, G30

Irons: Ping i200

Wedges: Titleist SM6 & SM7

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab One

On 4/27/2020 at 12:02 PM, rbgntx said:

The Clicgear 3.5+ is still being made and available through the Clicgear.com site, you can sign up for notification emails regarding company notices they put out from time to time.  Be sure to consider the refurbished page and call to find what they have on-hand as it changes daily from what I understand, and you will want to do that because the savings is huge compared to the new ones and mine I ordered that way was in every way a brand new cart.  There's plenty of YouTube videos about folding and opening the cart and it really is easy.  I close it slower to ensure the extra things I have hanging on the handle rings stay out of the way until it clicks closed. You might find one that closes smaller if you check the dimensions information.

• Like 1

Verified Hack, 28 handicap (down 2 this summer) 🙂  Golfing for exercise and peace of mind.

|> Big Dogs: Langert Foiler Driver 8.75*, TaylorMade M3 3w, O'Donnell hybrids 10*, 15*, 19*, 27*, Ginty 29* trouble club

|> Blades: MasterGrip 3i & 5i, Dynacraft Copperhead 7i, Wilson 8i, Worx 55* hybrid wedge, Lovett 59* hybrid wedge

|> Flatstick: Pinemeadow Z-ON M1   |> Ball: foster orphans (OnCore for PuttUp Review)   |> App: SwingU/Looper 

CoverLogoS-H c sm.png "The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course"  www.stickandhack.com

⛳.  :1590477705_SunMountain: C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳  :taylormade-small:    🏌️‍♂️              EPLogo sm.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

You're going to have a heck of a time finding any cart in stock, but when things settle down here's another vote for the reconditioned Clicgear 3.5+. Got mine last year, looks and works as good as new.

Driver: Ping G410 LST 10.5°, Mitsubishi C6 ONYX 60 Stiff, 44.5"
Hybrids: Callaway Apex 19, 2H-4H, Fujikura Atmos TS Hybrid Blue 85 Stiff
Irons: Callaway Apex 19, 5i-AW, Aerotech SteelFiber 110 Stiff
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 Jet Black, 54-10S and 60-8M (bent to 58°), Aerotech SteelFiber 110 Stiff
Grips: Golf Pride MCC Plus-4 Align Midsize
Putter: Evnroll ER7, stock grip
Ball: Srixon Z-Star

• 3 months later...