Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Best Bang for the Buck - Around $300

Micklars

I think the best deal going right now is pxg gen2 0811x or xf.     295.00 ordered straight from pxg.  Brand new.

i gamed the x all last year and it was phenomenal.   The club ho in me made me change, nothing to do with performance 

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max d 9 with graphite design tour ad xc 6s

Fairway Wood:Taylormade Sim 15 with Graphite design Tour ad iz 6s
Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Irons: 5-pw Miura Mc501 with modus 120s pured

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r

New Hogan driver is 325, I follow one of their ambassadors on insta and got a 10% discount, so it’s close to 300 before shipping. I have enjoyed the driver so far.

Hogan GS Driver/3 wood

Hogan FT Worth 15 Irons

Hogan Equalizer Wedges

Odyssey Milled Putter

OnCore Elixir and Avant Balls

9 hours ago, Hotdocta said:

I think the best deal going right now is pxg gen2 0811x or xf.     295.00 ordered straight from pxg.  Brand new.

i gamed the x all last year and it was phenomenal.   The club ho in me made me change, nothing to do with performance 

Wow, this is great info.  I just checked their site and they have knocked close to $300 off their drivers (which makes me think maybe GEN3 are coming soon and they are moving inventory).

Has anyone else played their drivers or went for a fitting with them?  Normally these clubs would never be considered in a discussion of drivers under $300.

• Driver:cobra-small: F9 Speedback 9 degree / Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60 Stiff
  • 3 Wood:callaway-small:  X Series / Callaway 70g Mid/Low Torque Graphite 
  • 5 Wood:callaway-small: X Series / Callaway 70g Mid/Low Torque Graphite
  • 3 Hybrid:callaway-small: X Series / Callaway 80g Mid/Mid Torque Graphite
  • 4-PW,AW:taylormade-small: RocketBladez / Taylormade RocketFuel Steel
  • LW:vokey-small: BV 60-04 
  • Putter:1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact Series No. 3
  • Ball:  :Snell:MTB-X Optic Yellow

I’d agree with everyone saying the f9 is the way to go. I’ve never seen a driver more universally work for most people. I was playing the rogue sz for 2 seasons and hit every driver from the past two seasons before the lockdown and nothing outperformed the f9. Add that you can get it for $250 from most places right now and it’s a no brainer in my opinion!  

Edited by ObsessiveIndecisive

9* Epic Max LS 9* ADDI 6X

3W F9 ADDI 7X / 2i MP20 HMB AD DI 85S

3-PW MP20 Mixed (3,4 HMB; 5-PW MCC) KBS $Taper

50, 54, 58 RTX4

New putter each round until I stop sucking

Srixon Zstar Yellow

Ping G400, maybe LST. Like one so much I picked up the 3 and 5 woods top.

Mizuno?

Saw a man hitting bombs at a local course several weeks ago with a Srixon driver. His buddy’s all had Rogues. 

ksted

• driver: Ping G410 plus
  • 3 wood: Ping G400
  • 5 wood: Ping G400
  • hybrid: Cobra F8
  • irons: Ping G400 4-gw
  • wedges: Ping G400 U 50, Cleveland RTX4 56, Zipcore 60
  • putter: Evnroll ER2
  • balls:  Srixon Q Star Tour/Titleist Tour Soft

6 hours ago, GambyGolfGuy said:

Wow, this is great info.  I just checked their site and they have knocked close to $300 off their drivers (which makes me think maybe GEN3 are coming soon and they are moving inventory).

Has anyone else played their drivers or went for a fitting with them?  Normally these clubs would never be considered in a discussion of drivers under $300.

I was fitted into 0811x with the tour ad bb and tz6.  Both game me similar results depending on the feel i preferred. Tz6 had a bit more feel in the tip and the bb is a ton softer in the handle.

Personally this is one of the nicest looking drivers I have used.  If you like a more solid muted sound you will love it.  It is also mega low spin.   So if you are are a low spin play loft up or consider the xf.

Again, I did not switch because of performance or feel.  I could have easily gamed it year after year.... sigh the life of a ho.

Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r

Also, I think prices go back up may 1st

A PING G410 plus is only $399 brand new, so you can definitely get one used for $300. I’ve posted on some other threads about my experience with it, but it’s the most forgiving driver I’ve hit, ever. I tested all the new drivers on a LM and went with the ping based on data, and I’ve been rewarded on the course. 

Edited by Micah T

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

On 4/5/2020 at 2:11 PM, Micklars said:

Any recommendations for best value under $300 these days? I've been using my TaylorMade Rocketballs Stage 2 long enough! My swing speed is 118, and I'm trying to keep it on the course! Forgiveness/straightness is more important than length/distance.

Thanks,
Mick

Check out 2nd Swing, if you can get your hands on a Callaway XR16 is good shape, go for it.  It'll be well under $300 and it's one of my favorite drivers I ever owned, it's designed to go fast and it's VERY forgiving.  If you want something newer, see about the Epic Flash's, now that they're not the most current model, you can probably get one for around $300.  

You may also want to look at the Mizuno drivers.  I have only hit one once in a golf shop and it wasn't bad.  It was much cheaper than most in there.  I know a lot of guys like the Cobra, but I could not hit it.  I hated it.  The PING's are a monster too!  I think the overall theme from everyone is go buy last years models.  Hit them all, get fitted and buy one from last year and you won't go wrong.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

If you're jonesing to get one right away, I'd think the Cobra F9 is the way to go. world wide golf has them for $240 shipped from Cobra, but shafts are limited. If you can wait, try to get even a basic fitting for a previous year model. Srixons are down to $299 for both models. If going the eBay route, just check that the seller is reputable. 

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I ended up ordering the Cobra F9 (for $229, I don't mind using last year's model for $200 less than the current version that may or may not be any better). It's supposed to get here on Friday, and golf courses here are opening the same day. Unfortunately, driving ranges are not allowed to open, so it will be tough to get a feel for it, and league starts on Monday. It looks like I'll be sticking with the RBZ Stage 2 for a little longer, unless the F9 manages to impress me in a very limited sample. Also, it's supposed to be under 50 degrees here Friday and Saturday. I don't think I want to try hitting a new driver when it's that cold. I play softball and most high-tech bats recommend not using them in colder temperatures and will void their warranty if you do.

Does anyone have any experience with the  "Cobra Connect"/ARCCOS app? Is this a gimmick, or is it worthwhile?

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll post a followup once I have a chance to play it for a little while.

Thanks,

Mick

Titleist AP2 718 - AMT White S300 Shafts, Standard Length and Lie

Rocketballz RBZ Stage 2 - 10.5 degrees, Stiff 60g Fujikura Rocketfuel Shaft

Right Handed

Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Handicap - 7.8

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I ended up ordering the Cobra F9 (for $229, I don't mind using last year's model for $200 less than the current version that may or may not be any better). It's supposed to get here on Friday, and golf courses here are opening the same day. Unfortunately, driving ranges are not allowed to open, so it will be tough to get a feel for it, and league starts on Monday. It looks like I'll be sticking with the RBZ Stage 2 for a little longer, unless the F9 manages to impress me in a very limited sample. Also, it's supposed to be under 50 degrees here Friday and Saturday. I don't think I want to try hitting a new driver when it's that cold. I play softball and most high-tech bats recommend not using them in colder temperatures and will void their warranty if you do.
Does anyone have any experience with the  "Cobra Connect"/ARCCOS app? Is this a gimmick, or is it worthwhile?
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll post a followup once I have a chance to play it for a little while.
Thanks,
Mick

I’ve got one round under my belt using arccos and I think I’m already loving it. I usually have my phone in my
Pocket anyway and I really like the stats the system produces. You can read reviews on just arccos as then regular retail, cobra, and ping options are really the same thing.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

On 4/21/2020 at 11:12 AM, Micklars said:

Thanks,

Mick

Congrats on the purchase !