TESTERS WANTED! ×

BirdieBall Putting Green - Anyone tried it?

Has anyone tried out the BirdieBall putting greens?  Seems to be a good tech but I cant find many hands on reviews from trusted sources.  And MGS is where I find the most trustworthy sources...

So what say you? Anyone gives these a shot?  $75 for the classic 2 ft wide 8ft long seems reasonable for a potentially better product if you don't develop grooves like a lot of the felt/rug styles.

Capture2.JPG

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I have one and like it, for the price it's tough to beat.  If you have the space I'd recommend the 4' wide so you can stand on it and be at the same level as the green.  Otherwise you will want some sort of stance mat to raise your feet to the same level.  This topic also comes up quite a bit on MGS, here a a few links to previous threads...

https://mygolfspy.com/birdieball-giant-putting-green-review/

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Wow, thanks for all the links.  I must not have been searching the full forums because nothing was showing up for me earlier.  #Mondaze

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

6 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

I must not have been searching the full forums

I find many times; searches return better results on google than in the forum. It's always worth a try. 🏌️‍♂️

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

7 hours ago, B.Boston said:

Wow, thanks for all the links.  I must not have been searching the full forums because nothing was showing up for me earlier.  #Mondaze

No worries at all, the search within the forums never seems to work very well.  If you have any specific questions let me know.  There are quite a few guys on here with birdieball setups.

7 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

I find many times; searches return better results on google than in the forum. It's always worth a try. 🏌️‍♂️

Exactly what Plaid said, I usually just search "mygolfspy xxxxxxxxxx" on google to get better results.  Search here has always been a little wonky.  

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Yeah I have on 4ft x 8ft. The big think is space and making sure it's not in a mail traffic location. Gets annoying when other people are shuffling across it haha. My other suggestion would be dont get the highest stimp rating version. I have that and it's like putting on glass. Which is great if I often played on Tour level venues but not when I frequent a local muni.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yeah I have on 4ft x 8ft. The big think is space and making sure it's not in a mail traffic location. Gets annoying when other people are shuffling across it haha. My other suggestion would be dont get the highest stimp rating version. I have that and it's like putting on glass. Which is great if I often played on Tour level venues but not when I frequent a local muni.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Great info on the stimp. I’ll strongly consider the middle one now. I can always putt across the hardwood if I need faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the 8' remnant strip that I purchased alongside the Putt-Out trainer. As @hckymeyer mentioned, you'll need a stance mat that's about 1/2" thick if you want to stand level for the mats that are not wide enough to stand on. 

Given another chance, I'd spring for a wider mat, or perhaps the Wellput mat. I believe the remnant I have is the medium variety and it's still much faster than most greens I play in West Michigan. Maybe that says more about the courses I play than the mat...

Overall though, I think Birdieball is a decent product. Just keep your pets off of it. My dog has punched a few small holes in the top with her claws. It's a foam material, so it's definitely susceptible to sharp objects.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Just now, edingc said:

I have the 8' remnant strip that I purchased alongside the Putt-Out trainer. As @hckymeyer mentioned, you'll need a stance mat that's about 1/2" thick if you want to stand level for the mats that are not wide enough to stand on. 

Given another chance, I'd spring for a wider mat, or perhaps the Wellput mat. I believe the remnant I have is the medium variety and it's still much faster than most greens I play in West Michigan. Maybe that says more about the courses I play than the mat...

Overall though, I think Birdieball is a decent product. Just keep your pets off of it. My dog has punched a few small holes in the top with her claws. It's a foam material, so it's definitely susceptible to sharp objects.

Two dogs and three kids.... Maybe I should wait until I have a real dedicated space to upgrade from what I have...

• 3 weeks later...

Actually I have two of the mats!  I bought-one which was  13” wide by  12 feet long and then cut off 3feet , as a mat to stand on.  I’ll attach a photo on how I use it. I figure practicing on 5 to 6 footers was most important.  I bought the slower version, because our greens in my area are not what I  consider really fast.  I also use a broom to sweep against the “grain” to slow the roll.  The other one I have takes too much space (4X12).  It is a good product and I would recommend it.  If you ask for a sample from the company they will send you a sample.  I like mine, but there are other options. As you can see in the pics, I use parallel bars to practice, now I only use the one on the inside ( helps me not loop the putter), as well as a Eyeline mirror for eye alignment and putter squareness., as well as a cup reducer.  It has really helped my putting.

E0F0CF1F-9ADA-4DD9-9F79-99F42EFAF78F.jpeg

79324CB0-1E34-4C0A-873C-A1A2AA6856D2.jpeg

AE32FBCA-A787-482E-BF79-3DAED416CB86.jpeg

CF876023-5222-4A49-8714-052D2A7E31DF.jpeg

Ping g400 max driver

Cally 7 and 5 wood 

ping g400 irons

cleveland wedge

@70445 That is some neat and very inventive work sir. The one consideration I had with mine was that I might like to add markers and guidelines and I have been toying with how/what to do.  Thanks for sharing.

R/

Scott

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

@B.Boston I bought one as a Christmas present to myself just the holidays.  I got the  "4'x14', Choose Putting Green Speed: Fast - 11 - 13 Stimpmeter - Championship Course" version.  My logic was that I play more often on better/faster greens and hitting the ball harder is easier for me to adapt to/get a feel for than it would be to keep the from running a mile by on faster greens; but that is my preference. 

Reading the recent MGS review that crowned the Big Moss mat, I would be interested to compare the two myself.  The Big Moss mat looks a lot more durable than the Birdie Ball material, but the roll of this is great.  Here is what I can tell you from my experience.

I do not have the space to leave the surface set up (currently working on the garage so I can do that).  Therefore I have two area where I lay it out.  One is on hardwood, the other on carpet.  The roll is not affected by the base surface, BUT standing on the putting surface on either base medium can impact the area around the ball and may impart some break at take off.  I ordered the wider version because I thought standing on the same surface would be better; I mostly find myself standing next to the mat vice on it for those reasons.  Putting is not a problem for me as a general rule, but that may be because I spend time with it during the season.  So I figured that it would only be smart to keep it up during the off season here.  I noticed that if I take a couple of weeks between sessions it takes me a few minutes to get back to a good, repetitive feel and there can be some ...quirks with my stroke that I need to work out to get everything back in alignment for speed and directional control and consistency; the shorter the time between sessions the better.  So, all of that being said even tacking a piece of decent carpet to a plywood backing to practice in the off season is better than nothing. 

The dual speed is great for keeping me from getting complacent. 

Roll is true and consistent from either side.

The adjustable cups.

Ability to input breaks at various points.

Dislikes (may be too strong a term):

Placing the 'breaks' can be interesting.

"Squishy-ness" of the surface.  I plan to remedy this by building a platform similar to this (what a great project)

Anyway, I would buy the Birdie Ball again so there are two cents from experience.  Hope that helps some.

Cheers,

R/
Scott

[mention=85402]B.Boston[/mention] I bought one as a Christmas present to myself just the holidays.  I got the  "4'x14', Choose Putting Green Speed: Fast - 11 - 13 Stimpmeter - Championship Course" version.  My logic was that I play more often on better/faster greens and hitting the ball harder is easier for me to adapt to/get a feel for than it would be to keep the from running a mile by on faster greens; but that is my preference. 
Reading the recent MGS review that crowned the Big Moss mat, I would be interested to compare the two myself.  The Big Moss mat looks a lot more durable than the Birdie Ball material, but the roll of this is great.  Here is what I can tell you from my experience.
I do not have the space to leave the surface set up (currently working on the garage so I can do that).  Therefore I have two area where I lay it out.  One is on hardwood, the other on carpet.  The roll is not affected by the base surface, BUT standing on the putting surface on either base medium can impact the area around the ball and may impart some break at take off.  I ordered the wider version because I thought standing on the same surface would be better; I mostly find myself standing next to the mat vice on it for those reasons.  Putting is not a problem for me as a general rule, but that may be because I spend time with it during the season.  So I figured that it would only be smart to keep it up during the off season here.  I noticed that if I take a couple of weeks between sessions it takes me a few minutes to get back to a good, repetitive feel and there can be some ...quirks with my stroke that I need to work out to get everything back in alignment for speed and directional control and consistency; the shorter the time between sessions the better.  So, all of that being said even tacking a piece of decent carpet to a plywood backing to practice in the off season is better than nothing. 
     The dual speed is great for keeping me from getting complacent. 
     Roll is true and consistent from either side.
     The adjustable cups.
     Ability to input breaks at various points.
Dislikes (may be too strong a term):
     Placing the 'breaks' can be interesting.
     "Squishy-ness" of the surface.  I plan to remedy this by building a platform similar to this (what a great project)
Anyway, I would buy the Birdie Ball again so there are two cents from experience.  Hope that helps some.
Cheers,
R/
Scott

Thanks Scott! That’s some great feedback. I would probably just get myself the 2 foot wide version. I can always get some cardboard to stand on if needed. Mine would def not be a permanent set up since I usually putt in the kitchen. Haha

On 4/22/2020 at 11:58 AM, 70445 said:

Actually I have two of the mats!  I bought-one which was  13” wide by  12 feet long and then cut off 3feet , as a mat to stand on.  I’ll attach a photo on how I use it. I figure practicing on 5 to 6 footers was most important.  I bought the slower version, because our greens in my area are not what I  consider really fast.  I also use a broom to sweep against the “grain” to slow the roll.  The other one I have takes too much space (4X12).  It is a good product and I would recommend it.  If you ask for a sample from the company they will send you a sample.  I like mine, but there are other options. As you can see in the pics, I use parallel bars to practice, now I only use the one on the inside ( helps me not loop the putter), as well as a Eyeline mirror for eye alignment and putter squareness., as well as a cup reducer.  It has really helped my putting.

That is a really great set-up! Loving the chalk line. Seems like you could spend days on that putting green & completely lose track of time lol.

On 4/29/2020 at 12:04 PM, B.Boston said:

Thanks Scott! That’s some great feedback. I would probably just get myself the 2 foot wide version. I can always get some cardboard to stand on if needed. Mine would def not be a permanent set up since I usually putt in the kitchen. Haha

@B.Boston Now you're cookin' 🤣

Sorry, I couldn't let that one go by...

• 1 year later...
On 4/29/2020 at 2:04 PM, B.Boston said:

Did you ever order the 2 foot wide birdie ball putting mat? Sorry I know this thread is old but I just ordered a 2x10 and skipped on the mat for your feet. Was wondering if you had any feedback? Thanks!

#2glovemafia 

2 minutes ago, Dangles Season said:

Did you ever order the 2 foot wide birdie ball putting mat? Sorry I know this thread is old but I just ordered a 2x10 and skipped on the mat for your feet. Was wondering if you had any feedback? Thanks!

I did not… I actually won a PuttOUT giveaway from @NodwellsDailyDingers on Instagram and that included a mat. I don’t use that one with anything under my feet and it’s perfectly fine for me!