Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Noticing differences in golf balls

Briton

I have always wondered how people notice a difference in golf balls when it comes to high end/brand name balls. I personally don't notice much when i play a prov1x vs a snell black or the AVX. I usually just play what my pro tells me to or thinks i should play.

Is it just me or do others struggle to notice a difference golf balls? or what exactly should i feel or see differences in?

Edited by Briton

:918457628_PrecisionPro:-NX9 HD slope

:scotty-small:-Newport 2.5

:vokey-small:-Sm8 (50,56,60)

:Miura:=4-PW TC-201

:mizuno-small:-2 iron HMB MP 20

:callaway-small:-Driver --Mavrik Sub Zero

If I'm hitting balls in a shag ball, I can tell when a Top Flite (or similar) has just been hit: that unmistakable "I just dented my clubface" sound is hard to miss.

But for my part, my game is not to the point that the performance differences among the better-quality balls (say, Q Star Tour and up) are noticeable to me.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

If I'm hitting balls in a shag ball, I can tell when a Top Flite (or similar) has just been hit: that unmistakable "I just dented my clubface" sound is hard to miss.
But for my part, my game is not to the point that the performance differences among the better-quality balls (say, Q Star Tour and up) are noticeable to me.

Haha. “I just dented my clubface”...

Reminds me of the XL2000’s that we’re Uber popular when I was younger.

That’s how the V1x left dash feels. Like a marble... yuck.

8 minutes ago, Briton said:

I have always wondered how people notice a difference in golf balls when it comes to high end/brand name balls. I personally don't notice much when i play a prov1x vs a snell black or the AVX. I usually just play what my pro tells me to or thinks i should play.

Is it just me or do others struggle to notice a difference golf balls? or what exactly should i feel or see differences in?

I had never really payed attention to the difference before the past 2 years. I definitely notice a difference around the green if I am not using a Tour type ball (I play either a Bridgestone B330S or ProV1/X) any of these work for me. Can also feel a major difference on Mis-hits just the overall feel.

i am by no means a golf ball snob and only hit titleist but I do try to only play tour balls not only for my swing speed but because the overall play is noticeable.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

9 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I think everyone knows when they hit a top flight ball 🤣. I'm interested to see what the new long drive ball(top flite) feels like compared to the previous couple years(volvik).

:918457628_PrecisionPro:-NX9 HD slope

:scotty-small:-Newport 2.5

:vokey-small:-Sm8 (50,56,60)

:Miura:=4-PW TC-201

:mizuno-small:-2 iron HMB MP 20

:callaway-small:-Driver --Mavrik Sub Zero

I'm pretty sure I've discussed this in one way or another in numerous threads. But, I'll play just about any ball as long as it has a urethane cover. If there is anything important to me that's it. My common line is I can play my best or worst golf with any urethane ball. I just like the way they feel. If anything I'm pretty sure in a blind test I would be able to tell the difference between a urethane or surlyn ball. From feel alone. I also am not in love with any ball - again, with a urethane cover. I'll play and score my best ever with an MG Tour or Kirkland or a PV1. Same with a Bridgestone or Srixon or Callaway. Just yesterday for example I shot a four over 74 with an el cheapo Urethane- Maxfli Tour-x sold by Dicks. The ball performed well all around. Of course I was driving the ball and ironing well also. I might be able to do the same with 24-pack of Pinnacle Gold from WalMart but those types of balls feel terrible to me. Therefore, I don't play them.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour