Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

I've got a problem... I'm too A.D.H.D....

As I'm working hard to improve my game and get my handicap below 20, I'm quickly realizing that I'm learning the skills in my swing to help me improve - but my mind is in it's own world and truly holding me back.

I'm a person who's mind is always running a million miles per second, bouncing from one thought to the next, never dwelling.

This translates to me thinking as I approach the tee box that I need to be careful and watch some specific aspects of my swing. I step onto the tee box and my mind has already floated away to some far away land, then back to the idea that I need to setup to swing, then to some far away place, then that I need to get my posture right, then a far away place, then that I need to focus on the ball, then to a far away place, then to I need to make a clean backswing, then to a far away place, then back to SWING SWING SWING... and then to a far away place, and then to, crap, I hit that well - or, to crap... I miss hit that... crap, I should have turned all the way through with my hips... I didn't open up enough... then to a far away place... then huh, I remember seeing my ball land, where in the world did it go....

Seriously, that's maybe like half way to explaining what goes through my head, and/or that doesn't go through my head...

Anyone else out there have a similar problem?

Any tricks for learning how to get yourself to focus?

This also happens to me during lessons, practicing my wedge shots, I'll realize 5 shots in that my mind has wandered to who knows where, thinking about nothing in particular, but definitely not about the ball or my swing, and I'll realize that the only focus I have is the face that I'm faced toward the ball and swinging, besides that, I'm not there.

Would LOVE to hear any suggestions for a routine or anything to help me focus.

I do the same thing... I can stand behind the ball and think through all the things I am supposed to do; my alignment, how close do I stand to the ball, where do I place the ball, how high do I tee it up, keep the right tempo, tuck my elbow, where are my feet, how is my grip, is that a cardinal, I wonder where his nest is, are there frogs in that pond, oh I'm up...

Then I step up to the ball and whack at it, and I forget to do everything I just told myself to do...

I know what a lot of people will post; "get yourself into a solid pre-shot routine", but I'd probably forget to do that too...

I feel your pain...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

You are thinking all of the correct things but when you go to play, just play and allow what you've been practicing to come into play. My problem is course management or lack thereof. I "constantly remind myself" not to go for it, play safe and use what I am good at (my short game) to get me in the hole.

Then next thing you know I go for it (without even thinking about it) and blow a few holes in a row, get myself in trouble and try and blast my way out of it etc. This style is usually good for an extra 6-8 strokes per round.

Yeah... I think that my course management isn't great either, but I feel that I should probably work on my concentration or lack thereof in the meantime - it applies to every time I take a swing, on the tee or in the fairway, or the rough, putting green, everywhere.

The way my brain works, I'd say that 60% of the time, just playing and not trying to think works ok, but the other 40% results in some bad stuff - ie: on a drive, nailing the ground 6" behind the ball (wiggling the hips)

I have the same problem with going for it on every hole, not caring, and then blowing the hole. - I actually shocked my buddies the other day because I took the "safe/smart" shot for the first time ever.

I used to have the same problem, I kind of fixed it by having a quick to-do list when playing... something like:

1. Set up

2. Check neutral grip

3. Aim club face to target (or intended target line)

4. Without moving the club, adjust distance by moving further or closer to the ball

5. 1 practice back swing where I count hundred-one, hundred-two and try to have toe pointing at the sky (at the same time focusing on my right leg by keeping weight inside)

6. 1 practice down swing where I should have the club face in its original position (at the same time feeling weight moving to the left leg)

7. Pull back, hundred-one, hundred-two and fire away

Once I got used to it, it's just takes 10 seconds for each shot and counting helps with my crazy, inaccurate tempo.

Course management... very tough for me.

For instance a Par5 hole I struggle with, I always plan it 3W 220yard (to avoid a hook OB and a slice to neighboring fairway) + 2 7i 165yard shots onto green. But nooooooooooooooo I can never resist pulling out my driver and try to smack it down the "big fairway". Assuming it works, I then forget about my 7i plan and reach for the 3W thinking it can make my 3rd shot an easy wedge shot. Usually end up messing the 2nd shot and wasting another iron shot to the green.

I know I would have a much higher success rate by going 3W + 7i + 7i, but I never stick to it. Sigh...

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I was sorta waiting for that.... ;-)

funny enough, if I were to go through school/life as a young child today, I know I'd for sure be put on drugs.... SOOOOOO glad I didn't grow up drugged out of/into my mind.

Any tricks for learning how to get yourself to focus?

I've been researching this bio-chemically for the past 2 years directly with natural supplementation and longer (about 11 years) with weight training.

The weight training side of it first -

The purpose for weight training for me was never about the muscles or strength gains. yes those happened as a result but that WAS NOT my primary focus for getting into weight training. It was about how discipline can increase focus. by being disciplined - showing up everyday at 5am to the gym and doing these insanely difficult routines, i had to be focused to not only show up but perform under tremendous duress - things that pushed to such a level that one will never find comparable on a golf course.

for example - when your under a vertical leg press machine and its loaded up with a couple of thousand pounds of weight - you have two choices, go out of focus and get crushed with imminent death as your reward, or you stay focused and get the job done. this is not for everyone, and no neither is focusing. but it is a learned behavior that champions are willing to learn.

and dont think you have to join a gym to develop this - try this workout at your house http://www.menshealth.com/spartacus/workouts/

and see if you can get through 10 mins of it - just 1 time through, and when you can do that, go for 2x's through, and then 3x through with no stopping. that my friends will build your mental toughness.

secondly bio-chemically -

researchers have found progress with adhd, autistic, and alzheimers patients by increasing their cognitive function using certain vitamins. i figure if these patients with neurological issues can increase, what about when you give the same stuff to an athlete?

research supplementing with B vitamins is promising. esp b-1 and b-12. rhodiola is also very beneficial for focus as is moderate levels of caffeine.

but then again, none of this will matter if your not comfortable with your technique first. you'll just feel better about playing bad - sorry sad.gif

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

haha rhodiola... just what hyperactive children take :D

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

TIm if you find any magical cure,other then captain and coke and a scratch golf partner, let me know. I am such a head case on the course. My driver is worthless the first 11 holes. I tell myself slow down the swing, "let the club do the work." Then what do I do, swing out of my shoes and I have no idea where the ball is going. I am a head case. The matter between the ears is killing my handicap.

I'm sorry, but why is that amusing? Your laughing at children?

Haha not at all... I just remembered when I was in elementary school, our teacher would call us hyperactive kids and that we should take some of that medicine... that's funny to me!

Your thinking about the drug rittalin, totally different than rhodiola

Both actually... I knew Rhodiola from Chinese medicine :)

Isn't it to soothe or calm anxiety and depression?

TIm if you find any magical cure,other then captain and coke and a scratch golf partner, let me know. I am such a head case on the course. My driver is worthless the first 11 holes. I tell myself slow down the swing, "let the club do the work." Then what do I do, swing out of my shoes and I have no idea where the ball is going. I am a head case. The matter between the ears is killing my handicap.

ha, I do the same thing... I'll do 10 practice swings at 1/4, then I'll step up the ball and do a 1/2 up to 3/4 swing trying to repeat my practice swing!

• 3 months later...

i used to think abt so many things when im over the ball too. But as i slowly got better, i sorta have a few things to check and i make it so that i run thru that checklist no matter how brief.

1.look at the target

2 make 2 prac swings

3square myself to the target

4check shoulder alignment

5check distance btween me and the ball

6make two 1/4 "pump" just tracing the target line

7waggle

8swing

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

I have found a cure to my mental chaos on the golf course. I've only tried this for one round, so I don't know if it's coincidence or not. I was prescribed Xanax a couple weeks ago, for "situational anxiety" or as I like to call it "scared sh!tless of flying". Anyway, since I had them for the flight down to Florida and they worked awesome, I thought I'd try one for the golf course, to mellow me out. I hit the ball better than I ever have, averaged about 320 off the tee, only missing two fairways and two greens. I still shot 85, because the greens were like putting on shag carpet with gravel in it. I made absolute mince meat out of a 7100yd course from tee to green.

On a side note, I didn't get to play the Palm and Magnolia, because they screwed up my dates and they both had tournaments on them. I ended up playing Osprey Ridge and they had let the greens go to hell, because apparently the course is going through a change of ownership or something.

• 4 weeks later...

Could you post a link to the book you're talking about Tim?

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

• 2 months later...

In golf you only have to concentrate for about 12% of the time. If the average round takes 4 hours, (14,400 seconds) and the average preshot routine is 22 seconds and you shot an 80, that is 12% concentration. :blink:

Actually, what I am saying is develop a consitant preshot routine. Have a line in your mind where once you cross it, you focus on specific things. Club selection, swing thoughts and all that other BS happen on this side of the line. Cross that line, get comfortable, and focus on the target. Think of nothing else. Keep it short because otherwise your mind has time to wonder.

This is preshot routine, not course mansgement.

Course management is deciding to lay up with a hybrid instead of going for it with a drive off the tee, over the tree to a small green. That process needs to happen on this side of the line. Left arm straight, full shoulder turn, clear the hips, etc... These thoughts are once again, on this side of the line. Cross that line, and think of the ball going to a specific point.

When you though a piece of paper at the trash can you do not think about the how far to cock the elbow, how much wrist action you need, you aim and shoot. This is the thought you should have on the other side of the line. Aim and Shoot.

A few years ago, after 18 holes I spent more time in the bar than I needed and decided I better not drive home. So I decided to play 9 more holes, without thinking about anything but the target. I was a 20 handicap at the time. I had the best 9 holes of my life up to that point.

You only have to concentrate for a few seconds but not on mechanics.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I recently picked up "The Inner Game of Golf" based on a friend's recommendation. From what my friend explained, the author agrees with Rick: look at the target, take it back, and hit it. The body knows what to do if you will get out of its way.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

OK, Ok, I admit it, all that I said earlier is, sometimes, do as I say not as I do. I try to do all those things, but I have on occasion, had what I call "Golfer's Tourette's". I know it is Tourette's because not only is it a physical "tic" but is always accompanied, with in a few seconds, by a vocal "tic". I will get all set up, know exactly what I am going to do, maybe take a couple of practice swings, start the backswing, and leap at the ball and flail my club at the ball and of course accompanied this with a string of curse words. :angry:

Sometimes it feels as though my feet are no longer on the ground because I swung so hard at the ball. On partial shots, I have brought the club back to the desired length, and thought "Perfect" and then started walking off during the downswing.

Sunday, on the 17th, I was thinking I needed two pars would ensure a win. I needed to get up and down by pitching over the bunker (20 yards from the pin, 15 to the green). I did the practice swing right next to the ball, no line. Brought the club back in the backswing, "perfect", and lunged at the ball, bladed it across the green. Walked around the green. Did it again for a double bogey. Then on 18 I had a simular shot so I drew my imaginary line and focused only on where I wanted the ball to land. The ball hopped twice, hit the flag, fell in the hole, birdie. Lost by one stroke.

It turns out that two pars would have only tied, but the par and a birdie would have won. It was a difficult up and down but not the hardest I had had that day. My first error was calculating the score to see what I needed to do to win. Second error was not using the proper pre-shot routine that would ensure the best shot. The third was I started playing my opponent not the course. It turns out that one of the guys that I was not even paying attention to came from out of no where and beat me and the guy I trying so hard to beat.

The moral of the story, is draw the line, and focus on the target for the shot. The only thing that matters is this shot.

The only cure that I have found is the "crossing the line" preshot. Well, 8 beers help. Not in your concentration but you forget how poorly you are playing and just don't care. :P

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Archived