Testers Wanted! Shot Scope V5 ×

Tinkering with swing to what end?

Hey all,

I've been working on my swing quite a bit the last couple weeks with the purchase of a new net. I haven't had any formal lessons. I currently just watch a lot of YouTube instruction and try to apply it to my swing. Lately I've gotten in a bit of a groove, but then I'll see something in my swing that doesn't look like the swings in the video and I start to tinker. I go through a day of shanks with the new adjustments, then start hitting good shots again. When I tape myself again mys wing looks like it does when I was originally grooving them. Long story short, does anyone else get caught up in trying to make your swing look like something it's not even when hitting good shots? I'm leaning towards just working on consistency with my current swing and only work on "fixing" something when I have a consistent problem. Thoughts? What mainly bothers me is that my wrists hinge late and I don't get the lines I see in other people's swings in the backswing. I do, however, get the lines I want in the downswing/second half of my swing. I don't know. I'm just going to keep hitting balls. 

WITB

Driver: Ping G30 10.5 Stiff

Fairway wood: Titleist 917F2 16.5 Stiff 

Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 Steel Fiber i95 Stiff (5-PW)

Wedges: Vokey 52, 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

I avoid YouTube tips and prefer to go with professional instruction. Hitting into a net is fun, but do you know what the ball flight will be after it passes 10 feet?

What a golf swing looks like does not indicate how effective it is. How do you know if the changes you are trying are helping or hurting your swing?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Even accomplished players have to make adjustments to their swings on a regular basis but those changes are minor.
Unless you are struggling with a big miss I would continue without change as long as you are seeing good results.
Self teaching can be tough. When you are changing your swing all the time, when on course standing over the ball, you dont have confidence in your swing. Your head is searching for what you know that works. But which swing thought are you going to settle into in crunch time.
I play my best golf without thinking about technique. I just swing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hey all,
I've been working on my swing quite a bit the last couple weeks with the purchase of a new net. I haven't had any formal lessons. I currently just watch a lot of YouTube instruction and try to apply it to my swing. Lately I've gotten in a bit of a groove, but then I'll see something in my swing that doesn't look like the swings in the video and I start to tinker. I go through a day of shanks with the new adjustments, then start hitting good shots again. When I tape myself again mys wing looks like it does when I was originally grooving them. Long story short, does anyone else get caught up in trying to make your swing look like something it's not even when hitting good shots? I'm leaning towards just working on consistency with my current swing and only work on "fixing" something when I have a consistent problem. Thoughts? What mainly bothers me is that my wrists hinge late and I don't get the lines I see in other people's swings in the backswing. I do, however, get the lines I want in the downswing/second half of my swing. I don't know. I'm just going to keep hitting balls. 

I did the YouTube thing for years, tinkering, applying all kinds of concepts, and then I ended-up worse off. I can tell you, without equivocation, that using YouTube without professional guidance will not be the answer.
I have found a young coach who does online lessons for $50! $200 for a whole YEAR. He’s good, and I can send him video anytime and he’ll send me a breakdown with drills within 24 hrs. He works under Martin Chuck, who has designed the PlaneMate, and all of the TourStriker gadgets. Bryan is good, and he’s eager to learn on his end as well. Bryan Pate. He’s more than worth $50!!!

https://bryanpategolf.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

19 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I avoid YouTube tips and prefer to go with professional instruction. Hitting into a net is fun, but do you know what the ball flight will be after it passes 10 feet?

What a golf swing looks like does not indicate how effective it is. How do you know if the changes you are trying are helping or hurting your swing?

I think that I've got a pretty good idea of what the ball is doing after my swing. I've hit a lot on the range and simulator this winter. I definitely don't think it's the best practice as far as knowing ball flight, but it's all I've got right now. 

And I agree that looks doesn't indicate effectiveness. I just have a tendency to try to be a perfectionist, which is part of the reason I love golf. I'll never be perfect, but can always strive to be better. 

WITB

1 minute ago, PMookie said:

I did the YouTube thing for years, tinkering, applying all kinds of concepts, and then I ended-up worse off. I can tell you, without equivocation, that using YouTube without professional guidance will not be the answer.
I have found a young coach who does online lessons for $50! $200 for a whole YEAR. He’s good, and I can send him video anytime and he’ll send me a breakdown with drills within 24 hrs. He works under Martin Chuck, who has designed the PlaneMate, and all of the TourStriker gadgets. Bryan is good, and he’s eager to learn on his end as well. Bryan Pate. He’s more than worth $50!!!

https://bryanpategolf.com

I'll definitely check this out. I'd love to get some feedback. Right now it's me, a professional amateur, trying to fix what I think is the problem. That definitely sounds like a worthwhile investment. 

WITB

Set realistic expectations for yourself and be honest with your goals.

There’s already a ton of good advice that’s been offered so I’ll just leave it at that.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I'll definitely check this out. I'd love to get some feedback. Right now it's me, a professional amateur, trying to fix what I think is the problem. That definitely sounds like a worthwhile investment. 

One thing my longtime coach told me, whom I went to after the YouTube tries, has stuck with me. “Paul, your body may not allow you to swing like the people you see on YouTube. Not everyone can swing like Hogan, or Woods, etc. We need to find the right swing for YOU.”

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Watching a YouTube video and trying to apply it is a recipe for disaster. If applying a fix to symptom that isn’t relate to you then you are applying a bandaid to a cut that doesn’t exist.

It becomes one bandaid after another. Find a pro who does online lessons if you can’t see one in person and make the investment in your swing and time that way

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

YES. I started getting serious in golf about 10 years ago. I never took lessons or looked up many tips, I just practiced and practiced. I knew nothing about swing path and club position at impact, I just played and I got pretty decent. 2 or 3 birdies per round, high 80's, pretty solid short game.I had just a touch of fade on my shots but I had no idea why, that's just how it was.

I took a break after kids, I couldn't play or practice much. Now that I'm playing again I have been trying to get an in-to-out swing and make sure the club is a little closed at address and not moving my head and keeping my elbow straighter...I am consistently just trying to break 100 at this point. I had back-to-back-to-back 98-98-93 rounds and was feeling pretty good. Then I kept messing with stuff and took a huge step back.

It's very frustrating, but it's my own fault.

YES. I started getting serious in golf about 10 years ago. I never took lessons or looked up many tips, I just practiced and practiced. I knew nothing about swing path and club position at impact, I just played and I got pretty decent. 2 or 3 birdies per round, high 80's, pretty solid short game.I had just a touch of fade on my shots but I had no idea why, that's just how it was.

I took a break after kids, I couldn't play or practice much. Now that I'm playing again I have been trying to get an in-to-out swing and make sure the club is a little closed at address and not moving my head and keeping my elbow straighter...I am consistently just trying to break 100 at this point. I had back-to-back-to-back 98-98-93 rounds and was feeling pretty good. Then I kept messing with stuff and took a huge step back.

It's very frustrating, but it's my own fault.