Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Original Callaway Steelhead in use?

Titleist87

I have 5 fairway 3w in my rota but only hit a FW maybe twice a round, if that. One of those is the original Callaway Steelhead from 20+ years ago. I just can't seem to let it go. Anybody else still game the original Steelhead?

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

I gamed mine for 13 years in fact it was the first metal FW I owned. That old UST Pro Force Gold 65 got to be too much for me and it was a Tour Head at 13*. Those combinations go to be a little much for me to elevate so I switched to the little Adams in my signature. BTW I did not switch from persimmon to metal until 02 or so. I know I was the last man standing on the SE Mini Tours with persimmon in the bag. My late partner in the golf shop built that thing for me. When I could swing it that thing would go we called it the "Pocket Rocket"

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I had/have an original 3w. Loved that club and so does my equally LH son in law. It’s still in play in CT as he “borrowed” it maybe 12 years ago. It doesn’t matter as I’m into a Senior Shaft now so I guess he can keep it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• 1 month later...

Have the 3 and 5 but don't play them much anymore.

Sent from my SM-A205U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

• 5 months later...

I am still using the Hawkeye 3 wood from around the same time. I used to have the steelhead plus back when they came out but got the Hawkeye from Callaway Pre-Owned last spring. I love it. I hit it 250 regularly and it just feels so good. The old Callaway stuff was good. I have TM 200 series and Ping i3 that are also from the same era and don't even come close to the Callaway. Its really what you like and what you can hit. Even Tiger played an "outdated" 3 wood for a while in his heyday. 

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum

I still game my steelhead driver and crush it. Our highschool team was sponsored by nike the equipment guy had just left Callaway. On the 4th hole of our third round of the year the face caved in on my steelhead. They had just stopped fitting and selling them at the time. I tried 18 drivers and couldn't find a replacement I was comfortable with the nike equipment guy called Callaway and got me the last 5 steel head drivers they had in inventory fitted and ready to game. I have all 5 only ever used one. I am going to a fitter Wednesday to see about getting a whole new bag of clubs. I haven't found a driver that has the feel and control I have with my steelhead. I was regularly hitting 275yrd carry drives with it untill after college. At that time I only was playing once a month and my distance suffered as a result. Last time I went to the range 250 carry with my tiny head driver.

steelhead 9°, rbz 5w, ping awr 2 bc irons, isi irons, or nike vapor irons, cleveland 52°, 58°, 64° 2 ball putter.

This is a fun read.  🙂

I don't have any Steelhead related comments, but I *do* like 90s and even 80s metal wood use.  It's not quite the romanticism of persimmon or laminate, but I think it's still got that certain something. (have some Precept Tour Premiums FWIW)

it's possible some of my feeling is due to having missed out on most of the 90s metal woods, as I started playing golf fall season of 1998.

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

I still have my Steelhead driver and warbird fairways in my garage.  They haven't seen the light of day for a good many years now.  Maybe I'll pull them out and take them to the range one of these days.

Just tap it in.  Lil' taparoo.

:honma: TW747 460 10.5° Vizard stiff

:adams-small: 4 Hybrid

:Sub70: 699 5-Aw; KBS Tour-V 90 Stiff

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 58°

:taylormade-small: Spider Interactive

• 11 months later...

pulled the Steelhead 5W out today - still a lovely club after 15 years in the garage - not sure why i stopped playing it?

Edited by 6bills67

WITB - Ping G400 LST - HZRZ 6.0

3W - Ping G400 - Ping Tour 75

3h - Ping G410 - Evenflow 6.0

4,5 irons - Ping i500

6-PW - Ping iBlade

52,56 & 60 - Ping Glide Forged

Putter(s) - a few

• 5 weeks later...

Loved my Steelhead 3W.  Took it out of the bag 2 seasons ago and seriously thinking about putting it back in.

default_callaway-small.jpg.419e1440f5daecba61eb0ba5ea26c6dc.jpg Paradym  9* GD Tour AD IZ 6x

default_callaway-small.jpg.419e1440f5daecba61eb0ba5ea26c6dc.jpg Paradym  3W GD Tour AD IZ 7s

default_callaway-small.jpg.419e1440f5daecba61eb0ba5ea26c6dc.jpg Paradym  5W HZrdus Red 6S 

default_srixon-small.jpg.b5a36c08f761fe837297189b18ed017d.jpg ZX5 4-5 Project X 6.0

default_srixon-small.jpg.b5a36c08f761fe837297189b18ed017d.jpg ZX7 6-PW Project X 6.0

default_taylormade-small.jpg.1b73274841551e76949cc65c63dba7eb.jpg MG4 48* Bent to 50*

default_taylormade-small.jpg.1b73274841551e76949cc65c63dba7eb.jpg MG2 TW Grind 56*

default_titelist-small.jpg.55af804348921dd22fb386a4ce39b299.jpg Vokey SM9 60* K Grind

default_odyssey-small.jpg.0a8151a3dfa7d15b833b2d6859543cb8.jpg AI-One Cruiser Jailbird

default_titelist-small.jpg.55af804348921dd22fb386a4ce39b299.jpg Pro V1

• 3 weeks later...

Check my signature... put one back in as I tried the hybrid route and didn't work out. I cut it to 41" and goes where I want when I swing correctly and gaps better.

7 WDs are coming back into players bags- whatever works for that person, great thing about golf industry, they'll sell you anything.

I wasn't going to pay the price for today's tech- it works for what I need.

David

:taylormade-small: SIM 9* - Hzdrus RDX Black 70

:taylormade-small: M1-3HL- Hzdrus RDX Blue 70

:callaway-small:     Steelhead 7WD RCH99

:bridgestone-small: J15 CB 4-pw C-Taper Lite

:benhogan-small:Equalizer Wedges 50*-54*-58* V- Tour

:seemore:- M3W

On 12/3/2021 at 11:09 AM, Lefty19 said:

Check my signature... put one back in as I tried the hybrid route and didn't work out. I cut it to 41" and goes where I want when I swing correctly and gaps better.

7 WDs are coming back into players bags- whatever works for that person, great thing about golf industry, they'll sell you anything.

I wasn't going to pay the price for today's tech- it works for what I need.

David

I have my V-Steel 7 wood in my bag that I have had since it was new--- Also put an old V-Steel 3 wood in the bag---- Both hit as good as any modern metals for me--- BTW I carried the old Cally Steelhead with a UST 65 Gold Stiff for 13 years--- The only reason it is not in the bag now is because Father time caught up with me even before my accident and that rebar is too stiff for me to hit anymore

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Heck- I really liked the V steel and played with you for a couple of years. I like it better than the steel head to be honest but got the steelhead from Cally Pre-Owned for under $40, shipped while looking brand new.

Got the R7 ones and liked the weights, only difference between those two. I'd bought another V Steel or R7 but hard to find one in good shape and cheap... lol.

:taylormade-small: SIM 9* - Hzdrus RDX Black 70

:taylormade-small: M1-3HL- Hzdrus RDX Blue 70

:callaway-small:     Steelhead 7WD RCH99

:bridgestone-small: J15 CB 4-pw C-Taper Lite

:benhogan-small:Equalizer Wedges 50*-54*-58* V- Tour

:seemore:- M3W