TESTERS WANTED! ×

Did my driver go bad?

jnharvey44

Hey all, for my first post I have a question. I bought my first clubs almost 10 years ago at a pawn shop. A year or two later I won a graphite shaft from this site, so I bought a driver head off of eBay (Callaway RAZR Fit Xtreme). I didn't know any better to look up club testing so I went ahead and got it assembled at a local golf shop. It never felt great, but it worked pretty well and I would get the occasional 300+ yard drive.

Recently though I have completely taken it out of the bag. I can barely hit the thing 200 yards now. Is it just dead? I would imagine that happens to all clubs at some point but I honestly don't know.

Thanks!

20200407_144430.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I've wondered this myself.  I've been playing the same driver for a long time (Ping G15).  Mostly because before last year I had gotten to where I was playing 5-6 rounds a year (and 4 of them were on my golf trip).  I'm playing more now and really enjoying updating my bag and lowering my scores.  Before that G15 I had a TM driver that I was happy with.  It was forgiving and long enough.  Then all of a sudden it wasn't.  Just seemed like I stopped getting any distance out of it.  So I don't know if my swing changed or if driver (be it the head or shaft) just wear out.  I don't know so I hope you get some good responses from the more knowledgeable posters.

-elvis14, Hacker, Engineer, Dad, CG Camper, Co-Founder of From Your Neighbor

They crack after a while.  Some last longer than others.  We had 3 Epic Flashes crack in my playing group last year.  Mine cracked 3 months after release.  Callaway got me a new one at no charge in just a few days!  I'd take a look and see if its cracked, I know someone still gaming a Razr Fit and he's still crushing it.  Another guy in our playing group cracked the face on his G400 LST after having it for less than a year.

DRIVER: PXG Proto 0811 X - Graphite Design Tour AD GP7x +1/2"

3W: Taylormade SIM Rocket - Graphite Design Tour AD GP6s

HYBRID: PXG 0317X 17* - PX HC Hzrdus Black 6.5 (shelved)

IRONS: PXG Gen 3 0311T 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1" | PXG Gen 2 0311P 3-4 - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1"

WEDGES: PXG Forged 54, PXG Sugar Daddy 58 - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1"

PUTTER: Taylormade MySpider X - 36.00" 3* Loft 71* Lie

2 hours ago, elvis14 said:

I've wondered this myself.  I've been playing the same driver for a long time (Ping G15).  Mostly because before last year I had gotten to where I was playing 5-6 rounds a year (and 4 of them were on my golf trip).  I'm playing more now and really enjoying updating my bag and lowering my scores.  Before that G15 I had a TM driver that I was happy with.  It was forgiving and long enough.  Then all of a sudden it wasn't.  Just seemed like I stopped getting any distance out of it.  So I don't know if my swing changed or if driver (be it the head or shaft) just wear out.  I don't know so I hope you get some good responses from the more knowledgeable posters.

I ended up getting a new driver (it's the first time I've had a new one). Since it never felt good to begin with I decided to ditch it.

25 minutes ago, jnharvey44 said:

I ended up getting a new driver (it's the first time I've had a new one). Since it never felt good to begin with I decided to ditch it.

Of course having new (or slightly used) toys is part of the fun!

-elvis14, Hacker, Engineer, Dad, CG Camper, Co-Founder of From Your Neighbor

22 minutes ago, elvis14 said:

Of course having new (or slightly used) toys is part of the fun!

I love trying new stuff.   The only driver I just did not get along with was tm m3.

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max d 9 with graphite design tour ad xc 6s

Fairway Wood:Taylormade Sim 15 with Graphite design Tour ad iz 6s
Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Irons: 5-pw Miura Mc501 with modus 120s pured

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2020 at 1:18 PM, LakeCowboy said:

They crack after a while.  Some last longer than others.  We had 3 Epic Flashes crack in my playing group last year.  Mine cracked 3 months after release.  Callaway got me a new one at no charge in just a few days!  I'd take a look and see if its cracked, I know someone still gaming a Razr Fit and he's still crushing it.  Another guy in our playing group cracked the face on his G400 LST after having it for less than a year.

I am of the firm opinion that, just like the metal bats in softball/baseball lose their "pop" after a certain amount of hits, so do metal woods in golf.  Today's driver's and fairway metals have such thin faces that I find it hard to believe that the elasticity of the Ti, or steel, doesn't become compromised after so many uses.  

Edited by Reddirtross

On 5/12/2020 at 11:56 PM, Reddirtross said:

I am of the firm opinion that, just like the metal bats in softball/baseball lose their "pop" after a certain amount of hits, so do metal woods in golf.  Today's driver's and fairway metals have such thin faces that I find it hard to believe that the elasticity of the Ti, or steel, doesn't become compromised after so many uses.  

Faces get hotter over time it’s why some pros have had their drivers fail testing before events lately. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Had a Callaway Rogue SZ go dead on me. Just lost its pop. Was the longest driver I had used up until that point, and it just started being 50 yards shorter. Id hit my backup K15 at the time well past it, whereas the Cally was 15 yards longer before. Ruled out the swing, ruled out the ball. That driver just died. Didnt see any physical evidence of anything broken on the clubhead or shaft. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

On 5/18/2020 at 11:56 AM, scooterhd2 said:

Had a Callaway Rogue SZ go dead on me. Just lost its pop. Was the longest driver I had used up until that point, and it just started being 50 yards shorter. Id hit my backup K15 at the time well past it, whereas the Cally was 15 yards longer before. Ruled out the swing, ruled out the ball. That driver just died. Didnt see any physical evidence of anything broken on the clubhead or shaft. 

Yeah, suddenly I was hitting a few of my clubs further. Just dead.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2020 at 11:15 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Faces get hotter over time it’s why some pros have had their drivers fail testing before events lately. 

Because the face thins from repeated wear and then it gets thin enough it cracks.  Driver will be hot until it cracks, then it will be dead.

DRIVER: PXG Proto 0811 X - Graphite Design Tour AD GP7x +1/2"

3W: Taylormade SIM Rocket - Graphite Design Tour AD GP6s

HYBRID: PXG 0317X 17* - PX HC Hzrdus Black 6.5 (shelved)

IRONS: PXG Gen 3 0311T 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1" | PXG Gen 2 0311P 3-4 - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1"

WEDGES: PXG Forged 54, PXG Sugar Daddy 58 - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1"

PUTTER: Taylormade MySpider X - 36.00" 3* Loft 71* Lie