TESTERS WANTED! ×

Rules that need/should be changed?

Just a random topic but what are some rules and things you think should be changed?

for example: not being able to remove your ball from a divot in the fairway.

:918457628_PrecisionPro:-NX9 HD slope

:scotty-small:-Newport 2.5

:vokey-small:-Sm8 (50,56,60)

:Miura:=4-PW TC-201

:mizuno-small:-2 iron HMB MP 20

:callaway-small:-Driver --Mavrik Sub Zero

Free drop in the fairway for tee shots that land in divot. So good it has to be mentioned twice. Absolute stupidity for penalizing a good tee shot.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

8 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Free drop in the fairway for tee shots that land in divot. So good it has to be mentioned twice. Absolute stupidity for penalizing a good tee shot.

Might as well let everyone tee it up in thre fairway too and have all fairways flat. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Rules?  We don't need no stinkin' rules!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

5 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Might as well let everyone tee it up in thre fairway too and have all fairways flat. 

I agree, preferred lies all year round, move it to a flat spot.  God forbid a fairway should be imperfect!

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

5 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I agree, preferred lies all year round, move it to a flat spot.  God forbid a fairway should be imperfect!

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I think the USGA should allow solo rounds to be posted.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

29 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I couldn’t agree more with you on this one. Golf is supposed to be a game of integrity. Players calling penalties on themselves. Sand baggers (vanity and otherwise) are going to sand bag. 

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

1 hour ago, joen said:

I couldn’t agree more with you on this one. Golf is supposed to be a game of integrity. Players calling penalties on themselves. Sand baggers (vanity and otherwise) are going to sand bag. 

Sadly, the voices of the gamblers are always the loudest in handicap committee meetings, and as we all know, squeaky wheels and grease....

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

I don't know but...
Personally I'd like to see "them" make a rule where you don't have to use a golf club on approach shots. Instead you simply place it on the green where you think you'd hit it. That'd be a great rule change IMO. Anyone else go for that?

Oh ya! Especially for Seniors

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Here are some rules I'd like to bend (at least) or create under specific circumstances:

• No player should play until the players in front are out of range.
    • Unless those players are waisting time, on the phone, not letting you pass, or are your mates
  • Take your hat off in the club house
    • Only once they ban Women again! (Sarcasm) #NotAChauvinist. Seriously, this is a outdated rule.
  • ''Find it, Cut it'' should become ''find it, play it''
    • Imagine hitting a Dunlop ball sliced in half by the greenskeeper.
  • No putting on the greens of the course you're about to compete on.
    • If you have to start on Hole 289, which is 20 miles from the clubhouse, why are you not able to putt and chip a bit on Hole 288 while you wait for your flight? (Yes, I was disqualified for this rule once)

🤙

Here are some rules I'd like to bend (at least) or create under specific circumstances:

• No player should play until the players in front are out of range.
    • Unless those players are waisting time, on the phone, not letting you pass, or are your mates
  • Take your hat off in the club house
    • Only once they ban Women again! (Sarcasm) #NotAChauvinist. Seriously, this is a outdated rule.
  • ''Find it, Cut it'' should become ''find it, play it''
    • Imagine hitting a Dunlop ball sliced in half by the greenskeeper.
  • No putting on the greens of the course you're about to compete on.
    • If you have to start on Hole 289, which is 20 miles from the clubhouse, why are you not able to putt and chip a bit on Hole 288 while you wait for your flight? (Yes, I was disqualified for this rule once)

🤙

12 hours ago, dlow206 said:

11 hours ago, joen said:

Let's quote the Purpose of the Handicap System:

Its purpose is to enhance the enjoyment of the game of golf and to give as many golfers as possible the opportunity to:

Obtain and maintain a Handicap Index,
Use their Handicap Index on any golf course around the world, and
Compete, or play a casual round, with anyone else on a fair and equal basis.

Handicaps are intended to be used when playing or competing with others.  When you're playing by yourself, your handicap really doesn't matter.  Its pretty logical that the data used to compute a handicap should also consist of rounds played with or competing with others.  If your scores are the same, whether playing by yourself or playing with others, why does it matter?  And if you're consistently better one way than the other, shouldn't the scores that count for handicap calculation be the ones that are most similar to the conditions when your handicap actually matters?

I'm not worried about this one.  The elimination of "solo rounds" for handicap was the first small step towards the WHS, towards making our procedures similar to the entire rest of the world.  If there are future changes (I believe there will be), those of us in the US will see more restrictions in types of scores to be posted, not loosened restrictions.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

12 hours ago, dlow206 said:

11 hours ago, joen said:

Its purpose is to enhance the enjoyment of the game of golf and to give as many golfers as possible the opportunity to:

Obtain and maintain a Handicap Index,
Use their Handicap Index on any golf course around the world, and
Compete, or play a casual round, with anyone else on a fair and equal basis.

Handicaps are intended to be used when playing or competing with others.  When you're playing by yourself, your handicap really doesn't matter.  Its pretty logical that the data used to compute a handicap should also consist of rounds played with or competing with others.  If your scores are the same, whether playing by yourself or playing with others, why does it matter?  And if you're consistently better one way than the other, shouldn't the scores that count for handicap calculation be the ones that are most similar to the conditions when your handicap actually matters?

I'm not worried about this one.  The elimination of "solo rounds" for handicap was the first small step towards the WHS, towards making our procedures similar to the entire rest of the world.  If there are future changes (I believe there will be), those of us in the US will see more restrictions in types of scores to be posted, not loosened restrictions.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Make ball retrievers illegal.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Make ball retrievers illegal.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

This isn't an official rule, but I would like it if golf courses allowed more than a foursome out as a group provided they keep pace.

I have seen twosomes take an eternity compared to a group of six. 

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

This isn't an official rule, but I would like it if golf courses allowed more than a foursome out as a group provided they keep pace.

I have seen twosomes take an eternity compared to a group of six. 

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

So maybe its just an issue that pertains to me. I just joined a club recently and I would like to participate in the more casual tournaments that they host. I currently do not have a handicap because I primarily play rounds by myself, usually after work. I occasionally play rounds with others, but not that often. None of my friends that live in my area play golf, so mainly play with others on the occasion I'm paired up with someone.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Not sure how to accomplish the abolishment of my pet-peeve and don't know that it would fall under a rules change or just a course set-up change that I would like to see happen.  I cannot stand in-course out of bounds.  I get it's often centered around safety and playability but those can be accomplished by planting a few trees in most cases. 

32 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

So maybe its just an issue that pertains to me. I just joined a club recently and I would like to participate in the more casual tournaments that they host. I currently do not have a handicap because I primarily play rounds by myself, usually after work. I occasionally play rounds with others, but not that often. None of my friends that live in my area play golf, so mainly play with others on the occasion I'm paired up with someone.

I'm sure there are lots of others who are in the same boat, its not just you.  On the plus side, the new WHS gets you an official handicap as soon as you play 3 rounds (or 6 9-holers, or some combination that totals 54 holes).  I suggest that you play in as many of the casual tournaments as you can, starting once you get that official handicap.  You'll end up meeting other members, making friends, and finding guys who can join you for your after-work rounds of golf.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Move the ball out of a divot in the fairway. I shouldn't be penalized because some jackwagon ripped the place up before I got there.

Maybe some common sense Ground-under-repair rules in general? Yesterday I hit a shot in the rough and the whole area was ripped up with 6-inch deep tractor (not cart) tractor marks. Because the course didn't rope it off or put a white line down, it's not officially GUR. By USGA I gotta hit it out of that ditch. White line or no, it's GUR.

I'd like to see the USGA come to a normal public course and see what golf is like when conditions aren't always pristine. I feel like they'd make lots of changes if they took into account that not everywhere is a Shinnecock.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

25 minutes ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

Move the ball out of a divot in the fairway. I shouldn't be penalized because some jackwagon ripped the place up before I got there.

Maybe some common sense Ground-under-repair rules in general? Yesterday I hit a shot in the rough and the whole area was ripped up with 6-inch deep tractor (not cart) tractor marks. Because the course didn't rope it off or put a white line down, it's not officially GUR. By USGA I gotta hit it out of that ditch. White line or no, it's GUR.

I'd like to see the USGA come to a normal public course and see what golf is like when conditions aren't always pristine. I feel like they'd make lots of changes if they took into account that not everywhere is a Shinnecock.

Take Dead Aim

One of the issues with divot holes and other GUR-like concerns is the difficulty in writing an effective and enforceable definition.  What exactly is a divot hole, and when has it grown in enough that it no longer qualifies for relief?  Mower tires have covered every inch of any fairway over time, and sometimes leave very minor impressions, sometimes leave significant ruts.  How do you define the difference?  Go ahead and give it a try yourself, see if you can come up with some workable rules and definitions.

Another option is to think of yourselves as "The Committee" for casual play.  If you all agree that the rut you were in deserved to be marked as GUR, go ahead and take relief.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

14 hours ago, dru_ said:

Sadly, the voices of the gamblers are always the loudest in handicap committee meetings, and as we all know, squeaky wheels and grease....

Hafta get that pro shop treasure!

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

4 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I understand why they are doing it. I have always used the handicap system differently. I don’t play in handicapped events. I use it solely for tracking my level of play. 

Right Handed. 

16 minutes ago, joen said:

I understand why they are doing it. I have always used the handicap system differently. I don’t play in handicapped events. I use it solely for tracking my level of play. 

If you never use your handicap for any kind of competition, do you actually keep an official handicap?  You can keep your scores for your own purposes without paying anything.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I do have an official handicap at the club because my scores get turned in, and I also keep track of my scores separately now.   Just one more thing to do that was all inclusive before.  I keep my handicap because I play in tournaments where there is an upper ceiling on the handicap number allowed to play. I get it. They want to eliminate vanity handicappers getting into tournaments they shouldn’t be in.  They also want to get rid of the guy who shoots 71 in a tournament while posting 85s in rounds played alone. Peer review.   Doesn’t mean I have to be happy about it. Lol 😝

Right Handed. 

Make the foot wedge legal???? 🤣    But on a more serious note, definitely allowing to remove ball from a divot in the fairway. Seems unfair to punish a good drive in the fairway. 

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

One of the issues with divot holes and other GUR-like concerns is the difficulty in writing an effective and enforceable definition.  What exactly is a divot hole, and when has it grown in enough that it no longer qualifies for relief?  Mower tires have covered every inch of any fairway over time, and sometimes leave very minor impressions, sometimes leave significant ruts.  How do you define the difference?  Go ahead and give it a try yourself, see if you can come up with some workable rules and definitions.
Another option is to think of yourselves as "The Committee" for casual play.  If you all agree that the rut you were in deserved to be marked as GUR, go ahead and take relief.
Good point that it's difficult to put in writing, and I understand that you can't cover every scenario. The committee approach is exactly how we've handled things. I've seen it done that way in local amateurs too.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star