Briton

Rules that need/should be changed?

Our Sponsors

5 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I just don't see this as "punishment".  You're still rewarded with the best line forward, generally free of hindrances like trees and tall rough.  By the "punishment" idea, it would be unfair to be on the downhill side of a hump in the fairway, or on a bit of a dry semi-bare patch, or some other non-ideal spot.

... There is a big difference between a less than ideal lie like a slope or a bare spot where you can get the club on the ball cleanly and a divot that has irresponsibly not been replaced. Nothing worse than hitting a perfect drive that ends up in a deep divot and against the front that can actually injure your wrist when hitting down and through.I have been in divots where the entire ball is below ground level. Pro's and many at Private CC's have nice watered and manicured fairways where this isn't as much of a problem, but go to a typical muni where some 1/2 drunk jackazz takes a deep divot and does not replace it and you are looking at a possible injury. While I am on the subject, I would like to see a rule allowing a drop in the bunker when that same jackazz doesn't rake after digging in and your ball ends up in their deep heel print.

• Like 5

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Pro Orange 60r
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 75s
Utility:   TaylorMade RBZ Tour Hy ... Matrix Altus 85 hy
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage 105 Tini s-flex
              4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Recoil 110s
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

25 minutes ago, chisag said:

... There is a big difference between a less than ideal lie like a slope or a bare spot where you can get the club on the ball cleanly and a divot that has irresponsibly not been replaced. Nothing worse than hitting a perfect drive that ends up in a deep divot and against the front that can actually injure your wrist when hitting down and through.I have been in divots where the entire ball is below ground level. Pro's and many at Private CC's have nice watered and manicured fairways where this isn't as much of a problem, but go to a typical muni where some 1/2 drunk jackazz takes a deep divot and does not replace it and you are looking at a possible injury. While I am on the subject, I would like to see a rule allowing a drop in the bunker when that same jackazz doesn't rake after digging in and your ball ends up in their deep heel print.

No one has to hit out if a badly or unrepaired divot or a non raked bunker. There are rules that allow the person to not hit that shot.

Nothing like hitting a terrible shot and the course construction gives you a favorable kick.

golf is a game of good and bad breaks. 

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

12 hours ago, chisag said:

Perhaps I'm out of touch with public courses, but I'd be willing to bet that landing in a divot hole of this type doesn't happen very often.  Once a month?  Less?  I'm not talking a run-of-the-mill inconvenient divot hole, I'm talking about this extreme example, one where the entire ball is below the level of the fairway.  I'm not entirely sure that I've ever seen one this deep.  And that includes a bunch of holidays spent at the home of drunk jackazz out-of-towners, Myrtle Beach.  

As for bunkers, perhaps we should go back to the rakes once used at Oakmont, the kind that make furrows, so you NEVER have a good lie in a bunker.  That might make being in a footprint seem like a blessing.

• Like 1

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Perhaps I'm out of touch with public courses, but I'd be willing to bet that landing in a divot hole of this type doesn't happen very often.  Once a month?  Less?  I'm not talking a run-of-the-mill inconvenient divot hole, I'm talking about this extreme example, one where the entire ball is below the level of the fairway.  I'm not entirely sure that I've ever seen one this deep.  And that includes a bunch of holidays spent at the home of drunk jackazz out-of-towners, Myrtle Beach.  
As for bunkers, perhaps we should go back to the rakes once used at Oakmont, the kind that make furrows, so you NEVER have a good lie in a bunker.  That might make being in a footprint seem like a blessing.
I agree with you on the bunkers. The quality of them on private and PGA courses is so nice that often pros aim for the bunkers as the sand is preferable to the rough. Oakmont rakes everywhere! Or no rakes, like we're forced to during this quarantine. Personally, and maybe bit extreme, but I think 90% of munis should just remove bunkers. They don't have the resources to maintain them and they only slow down play.

Take Dead Aim

This isn’t a public v private debate, rather entitlement v respecting the course. The advantage private clubs have is a better equipped and funded grounds crew to handle wear and tear. Too many people among each demographic are too lazy or careless to take care of the course and we pay the price.

I like your bunker idea. Make it a true hazard and not an opportunity to avoid punitive rough.
  • Like 1

• PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TS1 4-G Nippon Modus3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Maltby TSW 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide 2020
  • Oncore Elixr

Currently testing the Ben Hogan PTx Combo irons https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/38486-2020-official-member-review-ben-hogan-icon-ptx-proicon-combo-irons/

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

This isn’t a public v private debate, rather entitlement v respecting the course. The advantage private clubs have is a better equipped and funded grounds crew to handle wear and tear. Too many people among each demographic are too lazy or careless to take care of the course and we pay the price.

I like your bunker idea. Make it a true hazard and not an opportunity to avoid punitive rough.

I play lots of public courses from munis to higher courses. I see unfilled divots and unrepaired ball marks on greens at all of them. In my experience many of these come from older golfers who lack the mobility to bend down to fix a mark or get their divot and replace it. The rest is laziness to do them or take the sand off the cart where courses use that vice replacing divot.

Ive played some private courses in the area and it’s been hit or miss on how well the members take care of their course. 

Like Dave said how many times does someone land in a divot in the fairway. I can think of all the times I have and it’s less than 10 over the course of 20+ years. 

I play lots of public courses from munis to higher courses. I see unfilled divots and unrepaired ball marks on greens at all of them. In my experience many of these come from older golfers who lack the mobility to bend down to fix a mark or get their divot and replace it. The rest is laziness to do them or take the sand off the cart where courses use that vice replacing divot.
Ive played some private courses in the area and it’s been hit or miss on how well the members take care of their course. 

Like Dave said how many times does someone land in a divot in the fairway. I can think of all the times I have and it’s less than 10 over the course of 20+ years. 

Good point on the bad backs and the blue flag crew.

I don’t know about you guys but it’s almost second nature to expect to fix 2-3 ball marks on the green prior to every putt.
  • Like 1

• PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TS1 4-G Nippon Modus3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Maltby TSW 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide 2020
  • Oncore Elixr

Currently testing the Ben Hogan PTx Combo irons https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/38486-2020-official-member-review-ben-hogan-icon-ptx-proicon-combo-irons/

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

On 4/7/2020 at 6:37 PM, PlaidJacket said:

I don't know but...

Personally I'd like to see "them" make a rule where you don't have to use a golf club on approach shots. Instead you simply place it on the green where you think you'd hit it. That'd be a great rule change IMO. Anyone else go for that?

Would that rule allow for placing it on the cup?

Great suggestion by the way.

• Like 1

2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag Official tester

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

Driver :titelist-small:  - TS2 10.5*, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 716 3 Iron, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 718 4 Iron, Irons:   :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, Wedges  

:vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, Putter   :titelist-small: Deadcenter SP-209, Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors

Shoes:a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.

Right Handed, Southeast Michigan

Honk If you see these plates around. 

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I'm always driving around Michigan. 

The Ohio and Pennsylvania turnpike and Maryland. 

Grip it and rip it my friends. 

On 4/7/2020 at 7:25 PM, dlow206 said:

I think the USGA should allow solo rounds to be posted.

Completely agree, I play a lot first light golf and mostly I play by myself, so it does not count for anything.

• Like 1

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

Driver :titelist-small:  - TS2 10.5*, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 716 3 Iron, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 718 4 Iron, Irons:   :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, Wedges  

:vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, Putter   :titelist-small: Deadcenter SP-209, Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors

Shoes:a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.

On 4/8/2020 at 8:19 AM, palvord said:

This isn't an official rule, but I would like it if golf courses allowed more than a foursome out as a group provided they keep pace.

I have seen twosomes take an eternity compared to a group of six. 

I really like that idea, somehow we are always stuck behind a slow group, I cannot deal with taking 6 hours to play 18

• Like 2

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

I don’t know about you guys but it’s almost second nature to expect to fix 2-3 ball marks on the green prior to every putt.

That’s my expectation and 99% of the course I frequent and it doesn’t matter if it’s early round or mid to late afternoon. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

... Dave, you were the kid that told the teacher on Friday when the bell rang "You forgot to give us homework!" weren't you? 🤣 These are just opinions of course and all equally valid but there is a HUGE difference between furrows in the bunker, rake marks or an uneven lie and someones very deep heel print. I play muni's most of the time and some bunkers after an outing looking like someone was building sand castles in them. Always sucks to see a clean bunker with footprints going to the ball, a deep sand gouge (or 2/3) and then footprints leaving in a different direction. And before you ask yes, this happens a lot. 

... And as far as that deep divot where my ball was completely below ground level has probably happened 5 times in 40 years but I was using it as an example. I have had plenty with the ball in a bad spot, not just sitting in sand or in a shallow divots which is actually a challenge I enjoy. Again just my opinion, but folks from CC's, in tourneys or on tour do not deal with the kind of course conditions found at a typical muni nor do they deal with the casual golfer that is more interested in socializing with plenty of alcohol than actually playing golf or having any concern at all for course conditions. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Completely agree, I play a lot first light golf and mostly I play by myself, so it does not count for anything.
I post anyways. Otherwise I wouldn't have enough scores to have a handicap.

Take Dead Aim

The pitch marks are a different story. I'm not dismissive of the senior point as that is part of it. But most people don't walk anymore so they enter the green from the side or back, and the mark is towards the front. Unless the mark is next to where the ball stopped, people generally don't bother walking over and fixing their mark.

Take Dead Aim

• Like 1

I've played city muni courses, private courses, and higher end public courses.....doesn't matter.  It all boils down to the golfer.  There are those that repair divots, pitch marks, and rake bunkers and there are those that just don't for whatever reason.  Be the first kind!

• Like 4

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

3 hours ago, chisag said:

... Dave, you were the kid that told the teacher on Friday when the bell rang "You forgot to give us homework!" weren't you? 🤣 These are just opinions of course and all equally valid but there is a HUGE difference between furrows in the bunker, rake marks or an uneven lie and someones very deep heel print. I play muni's most of the time and some bunkers after an outing looking like someone was building sand castles in them. Always sucks to see a clean bunker with footprints going to the ball, a deep sand gouge (or 2/3) and then footprints leaving in a different direction. And before you ask yes, this happens a lot. 

... And as far as that deep divot where my ball was completely below ground level has probably happened 5 times in 40 years but I was using it as an example. I have had plenty with the ball in a bad spot, not just sitting in sand or in a shallow divots which is actually a challenge I enjoy. Again just my opinion, but folks from CC's, in tourneys or on tour do not deal with the kind of course conditions found at a typical muni nor do they deal with the casual golfer that is more interested in socializing with plenty of alcohol than actually playing golf or having any concern at all for course conditions. 

I'm a guy who tries to understand the rules, how they've evolved, and the logic that ties them together.  I'm a guy who is willing to try to evaluate a proposed rule change, but in the case of divots and bunkers, I haven't ever read anything that's even close to enforceable and effective.  I understand complaints about the idiots who choose not to do their job in caring for a golf course, but that's not a rules issue, its a moron issue.  We can't make rules to fix stupidity.  This thread is about rules, right?

I also have issues with using a "once a decade" example as a reason to change rules.  Rules aren't intended to address every situation situation that happens once per 1000 rounds, if they were the book would be 1000 pages.  I have no problem if you want to move the ball out of a divot hole in casual play, or employ a "rake and place" policy in poorly maintained bunkers.  But if you think the rules should change, try to write something that is clear enough to be consistently enforced.

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

3 hours ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

I post anyways. Otherwise I wouldn't have enough scores to have a handicap.

Do I remember right, you recently joined a club?  If you have an active Handicap Committee there, consistently posting solo scores would be a reason for them to take a really close look at you, to take disciplinary action, to modify your handicap, or even to completely withdraw your handicap.  I don't say this would or should happen, but knowingly and repeatedly breaking the handicap rules is just wrong.

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

48 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm a guy who tries to understand the rules, how they've evolved, and the logic that ties them together.  I'm a guy who is willing to try to evaluate a proposed rule change, but in the case of divots and bunkers, I haven't ever read anything that's even close to enforceable and effective.  I understand complaints about the idiots who choose not to do their job in caring for a golf course, but that's not a rules issue, its a moron issue.  We can't make rules to fix stupidity.  This thread is about rules, right?

I also have issues with using a "once a decade" example as a reason to change rules.  Rules aren't intended to address every situation situation that happens once per 1000 rounds, if they were the book would be 1000 pages.  I have no problem if you want to move the ball out of a divot hole in casual play, or employ a "rake and place" policy in poorly maintained bunkers.  But if you think the rules should change, try to write something that is clear enough to be consistently enforced.

... Dave you strike me as the kind of guy that drives the speed limit on the highway in the far left lane because you know, the rules and all. (I kid ... hopefully) I am a lifelong hippie and ignoring the rules that I think are arbitrary and stupid has always been how I live my life. Evil weed, the conservative villain in Refer Madness is now 100% legal in so many places. I can't imagine how it is recreationally legal in Washington and Oregon but just across the border in Idaho it isn't even legal medically for people that really have a need. More insanely stupid rules. 

... Golf is an exception to my normal lifestyle because if you want to play and compete, unlike other sports the rules of golf are rigid and unwavering. If I had a facemark call because a ref thought a defender pulled on mine, I certainly did not go to the ref and tell him his hand was on my helmet, not my facemark. But golf is unique and we call penalties on ourself, even playing alone. I think some rules are capricious and silly, put in place to stop morons from cheating, not to create a level playing field. So I get it, the rules are the rules but that doesn't mean I have to like all of them and wish some were changed, which is what this thread is about. It seems like you are the defender of the rules so you and I are just on completely opposite sides of this topic and while I disagree with you, I certainly respect your opinions.  👍 

• Like 4

I tell my playing partners to move their ball out of divots, roots, cart paths, whatever if it means they wont damage their bodies or their equipment. At the end of the day, you have to make the next shot. Keeping the ability within the player, right? The Rules of Golf state the fundamental principle that “golf is a challenging game in which success should depend on the player’s judgment, skills and abilities (clipped from the USGA distance report on 2/4/20202). Adding a divot to measure the lack of skills/abilities I have is just cruel -- especially because Danny the D-bag felt like filling a divot is beneath someone of his worldly importance. The fact that the pros can get rulings to give them significant advantages where they would be otherwise royally screwed, but people get up in arms about moving it out of a hole in the ground that wasn't placed there by the course, shows how asinine some of the rules are.

• Like 4

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

3w/5w: :callaway-small: XR16 Fujikura Speeder Evo 565 S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 4 50.10 | 54.10 | 60.09 Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

I tell my playing partners to move their ball out of divots, roots, cart paths, whatever if it means they wont damage their bodies or their equipment. At the end of the day, you have to make the next shot. Keeping the ability within the player, right? The Rules of Golf state the fundamental principle that “golf is a challenging game in which success should depend on the player’s judgment, skills and abilities (clipped from the USGA distance report on 2/4/20202). Adding a divot to measure the lack of skills/abilities I have is just cruel -- especially because Danny the D-bag felt like filling a divot is beneath someone of his worldly importance. The fact that the pros can get rulings to give them significant advantages where they would be otherwise royally screwed, but people get up in arms about moving it out of a hole in the ground that wasn't placed there by the course, shows how asinine some of the rules are.
Good point. At the end of the day rules should not contradict common sense. As it says in the Little Red Book, the rules exist to protect YOU.

Take Dead Aim

• Like 3