TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tour Soft vs Chrome Soft X vs ProV1

Hey everyone! I know the Tour Soft is not quite in the same league as the Chrome Soft X and ProV1 but I am debating switching it up. I curious if anyone has played the Titleist Tour Softs and is it decent enough to hold up against the likes of the Chrome Soft X and ProV1? My driver swing speed is about 104 mph and my average carry for my driver is about 275 yards. Thank you in advance to anyone who replies! 

Driver: Titleist TSr3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x D1/Neutral setting (RH)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr2 16.5 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

7 Wood: Titleist TSr2 21 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

5 Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 24 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 8x B2 setting (RH)

Irons: 2023 Titleist Black T100 5-PW AMT White S300 Onyx (RH)

Wedges: 2023 Titleist Black T100 50 AMT White S300 Onyx, Titleist SM9 Premium Jet Black 54D/12 bounce, 58M/8 bounce BGT ZNE 130 wedge shafts (RH)

Putter: Bettinardi Wizard Inovai 8.0 Custom with Stability Shaft Tour Black

Ball: 2022 Titleist ProV1x (yellow)

Interested in this. I'm thinking of switching to the tour soft as well due to price point.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

The old Spalding Top Flite may have been one of the most popular  Surlyn covered balls of all time. Possibly, the most popular.

Now, however, the inexpensive Top Flite Gamer sold by Dick's and Galaxy has a urethane cover.

Does that put it in a league with the premium balls?

What's marketing and what's technology?

7 minutes ago, RetiredBoomer said:

The old Spalding Top Flite may have been one of the most popular  Surlyn covered balls of all time. Possibly, the most popular.

Now, however, the inexpensive Top Flite Gamer sold by Dick's and Galaxy has a urethane cover.

Does that put it in a league with the premium balls?

What's marketing and what's technology?

Urethane vs Surlyn isnt marketing.  It's science. And science is pretty darn nifty.

3 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Urethane vs Surlyn isnt marketing.  It's science. And science is pretty darn nifty.

You can't help being a smartass kid, jlukes, but I agree that urethane vs. surlyn is science.

My implied question was, Does a urethane cover alone make an inexpensive ball like the Top Flite Gamer a bargain?

1 minute ago, RetiredBoomer said:

You can't help being a smartass kid, jlukes, but I agree that urethane vs. surlyn is science.

My implied question was, Does a urethane cover alone make an inexpensive ball like the Top Flite Gamer a bargain?

No need to be confrontational.  Jeez.

Yes a Urethane cover is a great starting point, especially if the ball is shown to be durable and consistent.  If you game a surlyn ball, you are giving up greenside control/spin.

What I like about urethane covers is that they were developed specifically for non-wound balls.  

When they started replacing natural balata with surlyn on wound balls like the old Titleist DT,

this to make them more durable for average players, 

those balls lost greenside control without having the iron distance advantage of solid center balls like the Top Flite.

I don't know if you ever played wound balls or not.  They've been gone for a while now.

ok guys, no need to escalate this 😄...For a while, the realm of the best balls were exclusively urethane cover based and the lower balls surlyn or other materials for the skin.  A few years ago, manufacturers started to use urethane for the cover but with the inner parts from the lower end balls so kind of a hybrid.  I think the best ball for a person is what helps or magnifies a golfer's strength and minimizes their weakness.  If you need more short game control and spin, then a urethane cover would probably be the best for you.  If you can generate a lot of spin from any type of ball, then maybe a ball that gets a bit more distance will work best for you.  Just like any other golf equipment, you should be fitted for the ball.

MDGolfHacker

PS - I just started golfing when urethane became popular so this is post wound balls.

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

32 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Yup, I started my golfing career and played most of my HS golf with wound balls.  The solid core ball with a urethane cover is arguably the biggest advancement in golf technology over the last several decades.

Truly the ball that changed the ball

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I played the Tour Soft for a little bit.

It’s a good ball for what it is. And really if you look at the MGS Ball buyers guide, it didn’t do too awful bad against the “big boys.”

Nothing should stop you from trying it, it’s a bit cheaper, and does a good job at being a golf ball.

I’d also recommend the AVX.

I appreciate all the responses everyone! All of it helps narrow down my choices! 

Driver: Titleist TSr3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x D1/Neutral setting (RH)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr2 16.5 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

7 Wood: Titleist TSr2 21 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

5 Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 24 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 8x B2 setting (RH)

Irons: 2023 Titleist Black T100 5-PW AMT White S300 Onyx (RH)

Wedges: 2023 Titleist Black T100 50 AMT White S300 Onyx, Titleist SM9 Premium Jet Black 54D/12 bounce, 58M/8 bounce BGT ZNE 130 wedge shafts (RH)

Putter: Bettinardi Wizard Inovai 8.0 Custom with Stability Shaft Tour Black

Ball: 2022 Titleist ProV1x (yellow)

Hey everyone! I know the Tour Soft is not quite in the same league as the Chrome Soft X and ProV1 but I am debating switching it up. I curious if anyone has played the Titleist Tour Softs and is it decent enough to hold up against the likes of the Chrome Soft X and ProV1? My driver swing speed is about 104 mph and my average carry for my driver is about 275 yards. Thank you in advance to anyone who replies! 

I normally play V1X, not only because of my fitters recommendations but also just because it works better for me around the green. I've tried a doz Tour Soft last year and just recently (my son bought me a doz for Christmas). However, I just don't like them as much and BTW my SS is quite a bit lower than yours.

If you can't get to a fitter, my recommendation would be to buy a couple of sleeves of both the TS and V1 and try them around the green and see which you prefer.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I normally play V1X, not only because of my fitters recommendations but also just because it works better for me around the green. I've tried a doz Tour Soft last year and just recently (my son bought me a doz for Christmas). However, I just don't like them as much and BTW my SS is quite a bit lower than yours.

If you can't get to a fitter, my recommendation would be to buy a couple of sleeves of both the TS and V1 and try them around the green and see which you prefer.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
Ive been following this as I've been thinking about switching to the tour soft as well. After reading this, it's probably not the ball for me. I was fitted into the Bridgestone Tour BX and last year I tried the Z-Star for the first time. If firmer balls are better for me, I'll skip the Tour Soft for now.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

53 minutes ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

Ive been following this as I've been thinking about switching to the tour soft as well. After reading this, it's probably not the ball for me. I was fitted into the Bridgestone Tour BX and last year I tried the Z-Star for the first time. If firmer balls are better for me, I'll skip the Tour Soft for now.

Take Dead Aim

I love the Z-Star ball.  I've been playing those for the last two years.

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

I love the Z-Star ball.  I've been playing those for the last two years.

MDGolfHacker
And it always seems like you can get them under $30 on amazon

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Actually, the run a promo a couple times a year where it's like $20 for the Z*Stars....

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

Actually, the run a promo a couple times a year where it's like $20 for the Z*Stars....

MDGolfHacker
Yea that's how I got a dozen last year. When GG and other places were running a promo you had to buy 3 or 4 dozen to get that discount, but on amazon they were just $20 each.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

• 3 weeks later...

I think I read somewhere that the original Top Flite Gamer Tour (or whatever it was called) was a Callaway Hex Chrome with a different cover design- urethane, of course. Anyways it was a great ball at 2 for $35. Anyone know if this is true?

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 7:50 AM, Tsmithjr9 said:

Interested in this. I'm thinking of switching to the tour soft as well due to price point.

Take Dead Aim

If your thinking of switching due to price, the Srixon Soft feel is Just as good and the tour soft and at a better price. Plus they have a 3 for 2 deal going on now.

:ping-small:G410 LST 7* W/ UST V2 84-gram S-shaft

:ping-small:G400 Strength 3 wood 12* W/ UST V2 94-gram S-shaft

:tour-edge: EXS PRO Hybrid 19* & 22* W/ 6.0 SMOKE 80g

:srixon-small: Z585 5-PW MODUS Tour S-105 / May switch out to S400's in the future

:cleveland-small:CBX FULL FACE 56* & Smart Sole 4 G/W 50*

:cleveland-small:Cleveland Classic Collection HB 2 Black Pearl putter

:Snell:MTB-X Yellow

:titelist-small: Bag

:Arccos:

If your thinking of switching due to price, the Srixon Soft feel is Just as good and the tour soft and at a better price. Plus they have a 3 for 2 deal going on now.
Thanks. I tried the Soft Feel and don't like it though. All those lower tier balls with soft in the name, Callaway Super Soft, Maxfli Softfli, Bridgestone e12 etc., they all feel like mush to me. They don't go and I lose distance.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

2 minutes ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

Thanks. I tried the Soft Feel and don't like it though. All those lower tier balls with soft in the name, Callaway Super Soft, Maxfli Softfli, Bridgestone e12 etc., they all feel like mush to me. They don't go and I lose distance.

Take Dead Aim

I feel you, Distance off the TEE isn't an issue for me, but because I have a super slow swing with my lower irons that 60 compression rate is perfect for 100 yards and in.

:srixon-small: Z585 5-PW MODUS Tour S-105 / May switch out to S400's in the future

I feel you, Distance off the TEE isn't an issue for me, but because I have a super slow swing with my lower irons that 60 compression rate is perfect for 100 yards and in.

It's actually the other way. I almost feel like I over compress the ball off the tee, if that makes sense. Though with any Callaway other than the SuperHot I lose distance all over.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

8 minutes ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

It's actually the other way. I almost feel like I over compress the ball off the tee, if that makes sense

Take Dead Aim

re read that article on MGS.  when I hit a pro v 1 it feels like moosh too. allot has to do with feel for me, cause I swing 115+ with my driver but my irons are mid to low 80s. so the softer feel around and on the green are the reason I like the Soft feel I guess.