Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Getting Fit for Clubs

How Important is it getting fit for your own clubs; driver and irons particularly? I have never been fit before but am planning on it following this pandemic. I was wondering how it affected your game? Improved distance, better accuracy, higher spin and launch angle? Golf has been on my mind so much lately and not being able to play is only adding to that fire!

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

I just did an iron fitting at 2nd Swing in Minneapolis. With my fitting, I was limited to what they had in their used stock because of my budget. They had me hit some balls using the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer. This was a pretty cool process. The software gave top recommendations for shaft/flex, loft, lie, etc. Going into the fitting I was struggling with my big miss being a hook. By the grace of the golf gods they had a used set of irons that had my number one recommended shaft, a Steel Fiber i95 S flex. They also weakened the loft 2 degrees and adjusted to a more upright lie (the length was also 1/4" short which for me being 5'7" works great). The results were crazy. They basically eliminated the right side of the center line for me (left handed) and my spin numbers and carry went up. My dispersion was also much tighter than before. Overall, I came away a believer in club fitting. I think that if I had the money to get fit for a new set of irons I would, but this was a good option for me as the adjustments are included in the fitting and they found a used set with the shaft that was recommended. 

Overall it was a great experience that I would recommend to anyone looking to get a new set of irons. I'd only ever played straight off the shelf clubs, but I never will again. I wasn't fit for my driver or fairway wood, but when it's time to upgrade I definitely will.

Good luck!

WITB

Driver: Ping G30 10.5 Stiff

Fairway wood: Titleist 917F2 16.5 Stiff 

Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 Steel Fiber i95 Stiff (5-PW)

Wedges: Vokey 52, 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

How Important is it getting fit for your own clubs; driver and irons particularly? I have never been fit before but am planning on it following this pandemic. I was wondering how it affected your game? Improved distance, better accuracy, higher spin and launch angle? Golf has been on my mind so much lately and not being able to play is only adding to that fire!

I think getting fit is important. What it does is make you more consistent with a full swing and helps distance, dispersion,
Launch, spin, etc. it won’t improve your swing; a fat shot is still a fat shot with fitted clubs. What I do know is that I have the right tools in my hand. Think about hammering in a nail. You could select countless types of hammers to accomplish the job but hammers designed for roofing will perform better when roofing than a sledge hammer.

You also have to remember golf isn’t always a full swing game and requires less than ideal swings and adapting to situations. This means that just because your clubs are fit doesn’t necessarily translate to lower scores.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

11 minutes ago, coyote_jones said:

I just did an iron fitting at 2nd Swing in Minneapolis. With my fitting, I was limited to what they had in their used stock because of my budget. They had me hit some balls using the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer. This was a pretty cool process. The software gave top recommendations for shaft/flex, loft, lie, etc. Going into the fitting I was struggling with my big miss being a hook. By the grace of the golf gods they had a used set of irons that had my number one recommended shaft, a Steel Fiber i95 S flex. They also weakened the loft 2 degrees and adjusted to a more upright lie (the length was also 1/4" short which for me being 5'7" works great). The results were crazy. They basically eliminated the right side of the center line for me (left handed) and my spin numbers and carry went up. My dispersion was also much tighter than before. Overall, I came away a believer in club fitting. I think that if I had the money to get fit for a new set of irons I would, but this was a good option for me as the adjustments are included in the fitting and they found a used set with the shaft that was recommended. 

Overall it was a great experience that I would recommend to anyone looking to get a new set of irons. I'd only ever played straight off the shelf clubs, but I never will again. I wasn't fit for my driver or fairway wood, but when it's time to upgrade I definitely will.

Good luck!

Thank you! Appreciate the reply. I too have only played off the rack clubs but with all the new technology it seems like it would be great to be custom fit. Can't wait until this is over to get it done.

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Outside of lessons it’s one of the best investments one can make in their game. Regardless of skill level having clubs that work with your swing will help. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

After going through a full bag fitting for the 2019 Cobra Connect Challenge, I will never buy clubs any other way.

Granted I wasn't exploring all club offerings, but the work we did to figure out length, lie, loft, shaft type really hammered home that it is best for your game if you can eliminate as many variables as possible.

The analogy that @cnosil used is accurate. After a fitting, you trust that the tool in your hand is the right one for you and that trust does wonders for the mental side of your game.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Fitting is critical to make sure that the clubs will work with your swing.  A good fitting may add more distance and better control for some.  For others, they may totally be fine off the shelf with the standard length, loft and lie.  It's never a bad idea to get fit to see where you fall in this spectrum.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

30 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I think getting fit is important. What it does is make you more consistent with a full swing and helps distance, dispersion,
Launch, spin, etc. it won’t improve your swing; a fat shot is still a fat shot with fitted clubs. What I do know is that I have the right tools in my hand. Think about hammering in a nail. You could select countless types of hammers to accomplish the job but hammers designed for roofing will perform better when roofing than a sledge hammer.

You also have to remember golf isn’t always a full swing game and requires less than ideal swings and adapting to situations. This means that just because your clubs are fit doesn’t necessarily translate to lower scores.

Totally agree about knowing that you have the right tools! When I said "they took away the right side of the course," I definitely mean more mentally. Of course I still have my miss. But I don't walk up to a shot worried about it or expecting it like I used to. It's amazing what having the right hammer will do for your mental game!

WITB

Driver: Ping G30 10.5 Stiff

Fairway wood: Titleist 917F2 16.5 Stiff 

Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 Steel Fiber i95 Stiff (5-PW)

Wedges: Vokey 52, 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

I would also say to be open to trying One Length clubs as well if you're looking to improve your consistency.  Helped me!

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

13 hours ago, cciciora13 said:

I would highly recommend it.  I gained accuracy and distance and overall consistency.  I tend to have to choke up too much on my clubs, especially Drivers.  My first set were custom fit so won't ever go back.

a. Ladies Flex/10-12 degrees loft/25"-27" (male equivalent)

b. Adjustable/Ladies Flex (male equivalent)

c. Right-Handed

d. San Diego

e. -18

A club fitting should be of great benefit for your game.

With improvements on lie and angles, those clubs should fit your swing, for optimal performance, not the other way around where any of us usually tries to fit our swing around the clubs.

If your budged allows, custom shafts should help a great deal with the ball spin and accuracy.

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

17 minutes ago, SnakeDoc said:

A club fitting should be of great benefit for your game.

With improvements on lie and angles, those clubs should fit your swing, for optimal performance, not the other way around where any of us usually tries to fit our swing around the clubs.

If your budged allows, custom shafts should help a great deal with the ball spin and accuracy.

The last part is truly golfer dependent. The vast majority of the golfing public will see minimal to no improvement from a stock shaft to an after market one. Some will benefit even more from the made for shaft than an aftermarket no upcharge shaft. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2020 at 8:12 AM, cciciora13 said:

I got fitted for a 3W and hybrid back in February. For me it was about getting the right shaft in the club. I was hitting the Hybrid 220 with nice spin rates. The 3 wood was 250 again with good spin rates. I also paid to have the shafts Pured. Not sure that was worth it but I have found that I have hit those clubs well when I practice and the few times I have played. Now,  I still have my occasional hook but that is my swing fault these days. 

I have never been fit for clubs. I usually buy from second hand stores and ebay online.  I have noticed that with my latest set of irons that shafts do make a difference. I bought a set of app irons on ebay and put project x rifle 7.0 in thenm and it completely changed my ball flight.  I used to always hit a 5 yard or more fade with stiff shaft kbs tour. Now I consistently hit a straight to slight draw with my irons. That might just be how my swing has changed but it was instantaneous when I hit the new shafts. Plus I went from Adam's cb3 with offset to Titleist ap2 so I'm assuming it's not the heads that's making the difference. I would say that fitting could be very beneficial to figure those things out, but I'm in an area in the world(the U.P.) that it would be 2 1/2 hour drive to get to a fitting place. Plus I would feel bad getting fit and not buying clubs from the place.

15872173686766416703679464762559.jpg

15872173924148642055131037194077.jpg

15872174415293450701029586873210.jpg

15872174623051851695585947787232.jpg

I have never been fit for clubs. I usually buy from second hand stores and ebay online.  I have noticed that with my latest set of irons that shafts do make a difference. I bought a set of app irons on ebay and put project x rifle 7.0 in thenm and it completely changed my ball flight.  I used to always hit a 5 yard or more fade with stiff shaft kbs tour. Now I consistently hit a straight to slight draw with my irons. That might just be how my swing has changed but it was instantaneous when I hit the new shafts. Plus I went from Adam's cb3 with offset to Titleist ap2 so I'm assuming it's not the heads that's making the difference. I would say that fitting could be very beneficial to figure those things out, but I'm in an area in the world(the U.P.) that it would be 2 1/2 hour drive to get to a fitting place. Plus I would feel bad getting fit and not buying clubs from the place.
15872173686766416703679464762559.thumb.jpg.cc73c875b1936d2cdd81f3c5aac66b85.jpg
15872173924148642055131037194077.thumb.jpg.e06b1af5c4b2c49db90035b03e41ba27.jpg
15872174415293450701029586873210.thumb.jpg.224bd1bce8a61a598480872fea36ba1d.jpg
15872174623051851695585947787232.thumb.jpg.5752da87197cdd4ceb74ae4f9c74b140.jpg

Sounds like you've found the right combination. BTW I wouldn't feel bad about not buying if I'm paying for the fitting.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

It all depends on the golfer. I was custom fit for irons years ago and all my results came back that I am standard off the rack except I need  mid-size grips. Then I got custom fit for a driver about 2 seasons ago and it made a big difference. I still got the make and model I was interested in but what  I thought I needed wasn't even close to what I wound up with in regard to loft and flex. I gained 20 yards and more accuracy.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I never cared about fitting until I started reading posts on here and went and got fit and seen the difference it makes. Watch videos on YouTube by TXG and see the difference fitting makes and how shafts and adjustments can make significant differences

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

I got fit for my driver. What a difference it made. It was also the first driver I got new instead of eBay. Of the 4 drivers I got on it over 18 years, only one did ok, with the last being such a disaster that I went back to one that was 5 years old, but at least could find the golf course. I probably would have saved money by fitting into the right driver and keeping it longer. Also if you want to save money, get fit just before the new drivers come out. I got a G400 about a month before G410 and paid about $100 less. 

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

I'm very short (5'2"), so I imagine that I would benefit from a fitting once I have a semblance of a swing down. I'm brand new to golf so I can't quite justify the cost of fitting and ordering custom clubs yet. For right now I'm guiding my purchases on Ping and Callaway's static fitting guides for length and loft.

Driver: :wilson-small: Profile SGI 10.5*

Hybrid (4H): :tour-edge: Hot Launch 4 22*

Hybrid (5H): :wilson-small: Profile SGI

Irons (6-PW, SW): :wilson-small: Profile SGI

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot XG #1

My wife wanted a new driver so I took to a fitter. He told her she didn't need a new one. I was pretty happy until she started taking to him about irons . Well maybe next year I'll be able to afford new ones for myself.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I have read a lot of replies that a fitting was great at improving, spin, distance and accuracy. Scoring not so much.

WITB:

Driver:  Taylormade  SLDR Fujikura XLR8 61 S RH.   

3 Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 3W

Hybrid: Ping G400 3 Hyb 19 degree S

Irons: Titleist 710 AP1 5-PW Aerotek Steelfiber i110 cw S RH standard lie 

Wedges: 50 Callaway MD 4, 54 Vokey SM5, 58 Callaway Forged

Putters: Ping Grayhawk Putter

I have read a lot of replies that a fitting was great at improving, spin, distance and accuracy. Scoring not so much.

The items you listed put a player in a position to score better. There is more to golf than hitting full swings and hitting the optimal shot you have to recover, hit partial shots, and have good course management.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, Kaplack said:

The clubs don’t swing for the person. The golfer is still responsible for making the strokes and getting the ball in the hole with least amount of strokes. Improving the launch characteristics and dispersion allow the golfer to have a club optimized for their swing thus reducing the dispersion due to better launch characteristics. Even a perfectly club won’t prevent a play from making a completely dum swing and having the big miss, pros miss big more than we see

Was fitted from club champion in January, pretty much made my shot dispersion a lot tighter, with my driver Ping G400 SFT, when fitting my shaft with the the green hzrdus smoke shaft I bombed one the furthest like 15-20 yards further then any other shot, but the other 4 shots were all over the map. We tried the KBS shaft and hit all 5 shots within 5 -10 yard radius. I gained a little distance but nothing crazy but I know the shot dispersion should be better then my stock. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

5 hours ago, Kaplack said:

Can only say that not losing strokes to drives into OB or untenable situations was an easy improvement. My easiest  issue now is improving my chipping and pitching to get the ball on the green. That is more technique and practice. Depends on what you need

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

On 4/8/2020 at 8:12 AM, cciciora13 said:

I do some fitting, so I'm inclined to think it's worthwhile if for no other reason than to identify really mis-matched gear. I've seen a bunch of folks who bought 2nd hand gear from a friend but it doesn't fit their game and makes it much harder.

Recently listened to the TXG guys discuss their approach. They suggested starting with a full bag analysis which I think makes sense. Look at where you struggle, significant gaps, etc.  And also think of which clubs you actually NEED on a course. Then determine what you really need and pull the trigger. If you can't update all at once, develop a priority plan on what to upgrade and when.  When you are buying new, current year models, you can really get the most out of a fitting by getting the right shaft, length and lie-angle right from the factory. And there are usually quite a few shaft options available at no upcharge to what you would buy off the shelf. Mizuno is really good with that.

Last, if you are struggling with your swing, see a pro first. He can diagnose and fix big issues and also spot gear that's holding you back.  Fitters (unless they are also a PGA pro) ought to match the best gear to the swing you bring in, not change it.

:cobra-small: F9 9* Atmos Tour Spec Black 6s 45"

:nickent-small:  17* and 20* Hybrids Aldila NVS

:macgregor-small:  VIP V-foil 1025c 4-P True Temper 120g ProPel Lite 2* flat, 1* strong

:cleveland-small:  CG10 52* (bent 50*) and 56 (bent 55*)

:mizuno-small:   MpTseries 60* Raw Haze

:ping-small:   Faith Wack-E 32"

:taylormade-small:TP5 ball

:titelist-small: Stand bag