Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How do I care for my new Scotty?

Schuyler

Hey,

I just bought my first Scotty Cameron and I was wondering if I need to do anything special with it to keep it in good condition. On the Scotty Cameron website it says my putter has a charcoal mist finish with a rust resistant finish making it "virtually maintenance free." It is a Circa 62' No. 1 but not the first generation, it is the one released in 2007. circa 62.jpg

All you have to do it put her in the bag, keep a cover on it, and enjoy. Keep it dry, whenever you store it, as water is the enemy of any finish, but the nickel plating that is beneath your Charcoal Mist will, for the most part, keep it safe from corrosion.

Enjoy the new flatstick.

LaMont in AZ

PS I saw your post on WRX and it is real. Not a fake.

Yeah, make sure to take the headcover off when you get home in case there are any chemicals from the course inside or any water. Trapping those on the surface of the putter while in storage is your worst enemy. It'll degrade the dark surface coat of the finish quickly and depending on how much of each mineral is on the surface of the plating, could cause rust spots to form. I'd still wipe it occasionally with some kind of oil to keep a protective, water resistant coat on it. I, personally, prefer Eezox after LaMont turned me on to that brand of gun oil. I believe the tagline he used to convince me of that is "if it's good enough for a guy with $100,000 guns, it's good enough for me". Any good oil or silicone will work though. My second choice is CRC silicone spray.

Also, there were several finishes used on the Circa line. The last iteration was by far the best finish Don used on the Circa line, and that's the second version of charcoal mist.

Oh, and if you want a truly maintenance free finish, the author your first response has the best one I've ever had privvy of trying in his polymers. (not to sound biased at all, because I've tried several). His are durable and the only ones I've tried that don't alter feel one bit.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Archived