Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Love the Shallow Cups the virus has brought!

Middler

My regular course just reopened with lots of conditions, among them cups that are only about 1" deep. I love them, and I'm hoping some courses will keep them in perpetuity, long after Covid-19 is a bad memory. It makes it a lot easier to fish the ball out, especially now that we're mostly leaving pins in. And I don't know, but I'm guessing it really doesn't make much if any difference on % of putts that drop. You?

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

I haven't seen putts "rejected" by the foam inserts we now have, but I don't see any actual reason to change the rules of golf concerning the actual cup dimensions.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I like them change as well! I did have one put pop-out of the cup, but only one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

11 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I haven't seen putts "rejected" by the foam inserts we now have, but I don't see any actual reason to change the rules of golf concerning the actual cup dimensions.

I like the shallow cups simply because it’s much easier to fish the ball out now that most people I play with leave the pin in. It often takes a couple tries to get the ball out with the pin in when only two fingers fit in the hole with a normal (deeper) cup. It’s not just me, I’ve seen many others reach in 2-3 times before getting their ball out with a normal cup. If we still pulled pins, I wouldn’t have cared. It’s the combination of shallow cups and leaving the pin in that makes sense to me, but I doubt my wish for permanent shallow cups will be granted.

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

I like them change as well! I did have one put pop-out of the cup, but only one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had a birdie putt pop out the other day, but I still counted it as a bird. I figured if the cup wasn't raised it would have gone in especially since it just went a couple of inches past the hole.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I don't like them!  I have seen good putts rejected.  While I may want to count it as good, my opponents will likely call foul.  Our club used the shallow cup (with pool noodle insert) but someone complained that people were touching the flagpole and could spread the virus (????), so they went back to the raised cup, which is even more difficult to claim the putt is good IMO.  I'll be glad when we go back to standard cups (for more reasons than the obvious).

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

47 minutes ago, CarlH said:

I don't like them!  I have seen good putts rejected.  While I may want to count it as good, my opponents will likely call foul.  Our club used the shallow cup (with pool noodle insert) but someone complained that people were touching the flagpole and could spread the virus (????), so they went back to the raised cup, which is even more difficult to claim the putt is good IMO.  I'll be glad when we go back to standard cups (for more reasons than the obvious).

Your "buddies" are just looking out for you!!  If you had one foot in the grave, they would probably would say that it doesn't count!!   🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

30 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Your "buddies" are just looking out for you!!  If you had one foot in the grave, they would probably would say that it doesn't count!!   🤣

The power of the almighty dollar at work!  😄

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

On 4/8/2020 at 12:08 PM, Middler said:

My regular course just reopened with lots of conditions, among them cups that are only about 1" deep. I love them, and I'm hoping some courses will keep them in perpetuity, long after Covid-19 is a bad memory. It makes it a lot easier to fish the ball out, especially now that we're mostly leaving pins in. And I don't know, but I'm guessing it really doesn't make much if any difference on % of putts that drop. You?

I completely agree, especially for recreational golf. But USGA- and PGA-sanctioned competitive event, no, it won't last.

For amateur recreational play I'm all even having the cup raised and, yes, calling it good if it touches anywhere. Maybe a separate topic which has been well-discussed in other threads but the pace of play when a group gets to the putting green............................................................................

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that having foam “noodles” in the cup has encouraged me to make a more forceful stroke as I get a little joy out of bouncing the ball off the foam and back towards me. I think this will help me after the virus has passed (🤞) as I was always one to try to die the ball into the hole.

Time will tell.

We don't have "shallow cup" , we have raised cup lining.   Where the white plastic cup lining is raised a few inches off the putting surface and consider holed out if the golf ball touched any part of the cup lining.  Flag stayed in and no one touches any part of the flag stick nor the cup.

Kind of funky not "hole" out a putt and some of the guys will hit their putt extra firm to hold a better line to hit the white plastic cup lining.  I don't like it but, that's the way the golf course is set up.   Seriously,  I might just wait out the whole thing until it's over, even if I have to sacrifice this golf season. 

Edited by release

We don't have "shallow cup" , we have raised cup lining.   Where the white plastic cup lining is raised a few inches off the putting surface and consider holed out if the golf ball touched any part of the cup lining.  Flag stayed in and no one touches any part of the flag stick nor the cup.
Kind of funky not "hole" out a putt and some of the guys will hit their putt extra firm to hold a better line to hit the white plastic cup lining.  I don't like it but, that's the way the golf course is set up.   Seriously,  I might just wait out the whole thing until it's over, even if I have to sacrifice this golf season. 

The may actually become better putters after the cup is returned to the normal position provided they keep their speed up.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hate them, had a few pop out and also cant stand leaving flag in. It messes with me 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Our golf courses around here been using the shallow cut  method for the practice greens fro many years now.

It's good for the turf and faster recovery, but personally, i am just used to the traditional cup.  In many of the Asian courses overseas, using the metal lining for the cup increased the pleasure of the senses when the golf ball make the clinking sound at the bottom of the metal cup.  That nice crisp clink really reinforced the confidence of making a stroke on the putting green. 

Edited by release

I have found that I really enjoy leaving the pin in.  I've always been against it as I felt it was distracting.  I am putting better and don't have to worry about setting the pin down and then replacing it when we leave.  

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :cobra-small: :touredgeexotics: :cleveland-small: :PXG:               

Cobra SpeedZone 9*
TourEdge EXS 18* 
TourEdge C721 22*H
PXG 0211 DC 6-P + G
Cleveland Zipcore Full Face 52/58*
Wilson Staff Infinite Michigan Ave
Taylormade Tour Response

On 4/8/2020 at 11:08 AM, Middler said:

I love them, and I'm hoping some courses will keep them in perpetuity,

Not this guy. I'm sorta - barely ok for the time being during the abnormal panic-demic. The most annoying part of keeping flags in anytime is when the shadows of the flag interfere. Very distracting if you axe me. I have also seen a few times where a pin in - especially where a cup is inverted or a pool noodle isn't deep enough causing a lip out. I actually holed (flew directly in) an approach a couple of weeks ago but of course it had no chance due to the foam noodle. We're currently living in the Abnormal and we need to return to Normal.  Quickly... before somebody catches a common cold and we have a run on Kleenex. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

My home course has the pool noodle, which is fine.  Played at the Prairie Club this weekend and they had a piece of PVC, irregular cut so the ball rolls around to the low point. Kinda interesting.  

either way, it’s shallow, but if your ball is popping out as some have stated they’ve made it too shallow.

Ive always been a flag stick in guy,, even before the rule change when walking and playing by myself, so no worries there. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

Agree, the shallow cup works great.  I've played several variations of the "virus cup" to include what looked like inverted cups in AZ (creating a cone) and several versions of the foam noodle. I've seen a couple cases of what we thought were pop-outs due to the changes, but the group called them "makes".  It's much better not having to dig down into the cup to extract the ball - especially when leaving the flag in.  What will be fun is seeing one of those long distance swish shots rebound off the foam 🤣.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

either way, it’s shallow, but if your ball is popping out as some have stated they’ve made it too shallow.

Yeah, I’ve yet to see a ball pop out. Our course is just putting the cup insert in upside down, no special depth.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

I haven't seen any putts pop out but I saw my buddies 90 yard wedge shot for eagle hit the foam and bounce out and also my 50 yard wedge shot for birdie did the same thing, but I feel like both of those could have happened with or with out the foam. I gave my buddy the eagle though ...😀

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

33 minutes ago, Nolan220 said:

I haven't seen any putts pop out but I saw my buddies 90 yard wedge shot for eagle hit the foam and bounce out and also my 50 yard wedge shot for birdie did the same thing, but I feel like both of those could have happened with or with out the foam. I gave my buddy the eagle though ...😀

I was talking about putting or chips that roll in. I could see how longer shots could definitely be “denied” by shallow, noodle or PVC spaced cups. They don’t happen often IMO (you two must be really good) and it’s impossible to know if the ball would have gone in with a standard pin and cup insert - unless maybe you two tend the pin on 50 and 90 yard approach shots... 🙂

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

16 minutes ago, Middler said:

I was talking about putting or chips that roll in. I could see how longer shots could definitely be “denied” by shallow, noodle or PVC spaced cups. They don’t happen often IMO (you two must be really good) and it’s impossible to know if the ball would have gone in with a standard pin and cup insert - unless maybe you two tend the pin on 50 and 90 yard approach shots... 🙂

Yeah I agree I haven't seen any putting or shorter chips, I dont mind the foam, and my buddy is really good .. I got lucky 😆 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag