Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Those that prefer full shaft offset...

Titleist87

What is your reasoning to use a plumber's neck vs. a double bend or a flow neck wherein each gives you the full shaft offset. Is it purely cosmetic for you?

Sent from my SM-A205U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

What is your reasoning to use a plumber's neck vs. a double bend or a flow neck wherein each gives you the full shaft offset. Is it purely cosmetic for you?

Each one affects the toe hang of a putter. I have the same putter head with a flow neck, plumbers neck and double bend shaft and all three have different to hangs. Double bend is generally the closest to face balanced, plumbers neck in the middle and flow neck has the mast toe hang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Hope this helps. All three putters have a full shaft offset. The tow Betti’s are the exact same head shape with the black one in a short slant neck and the chrome in a plumbers neck. I grabbed a Scotty that has a double bend shaft for illustrative purposes.

IMG_1045.jpg

WITB 2024

Maybe a better comparison. Two Scotty Laguna’s. The IBBF has a plumbers neck and the other a flow neck. Same offset in both.

IMG_1046.jpg

WITB 2024

3 hours ago, Jmikecpa said:

Each one affects the toe hang of a putter. I have the same putter head with a flow neck, plumbers neck and double bend shaft and all three have different to hangs. Double bend is generally the closest to face balanced, plumbers neck in the middle and flow neck has the mast toe hang.

Not really.....you can make a plumbers neck be face balanced and you can also have it with lots of toe hang by simply adjusting the length of the hosel.  You can also make a double bend have some toe hang by doing the same thing.     Toe hang is related to CoG and where the shaft intersects the head, closer to the center more face balance,  closer to the heel more toe hang.    The type of hosel is probably more related to weight distribution, general looks, and that really short plumbers necks are probably pretty odd to find.   Double bends are a bit unique so they don't play into this discussion as much.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Not really.....you can make a plumbers neck be face balanced and you can also have it with lots of toe hang by simply adjusting the length of the hosel.  You can also make a double bend have some toe hang by doing the same thing.     Toe hang is related to CoG and where the shaft intersects the head, closer to the center more face balance,  closer to the heel more toe hang.    The type of hosel is probably more related to weight distribution, general looks, and that really short plumbers necks are probably pretty odd to find.   Double bends are a bit unique so they don't play into this discussion as much.  

All true but in practicality it is done by most OEMs for flow and toe hang. I could post pictures of plumbers neck putters I have from face balanced to a lot of toe hang, heck I had a putter built last year that was face balanced with a plumbers neck that is long. Look at the TM Spider. Comes in a short slant neck, plumbers neck, and double bend all done to suit different strokes with the same head.

WITB 2024

4 hours ago, Titleist87 said:

For me it is purely about aiming - I aim a plumbers neck full offset blade notably better than any other combination.  

Edited by bellairemi

13 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

All true but in practicality it is done by most OEMs for flow and toe hang. I could post pictures of plumbers neck putters I have from face balanced to a lot of toe hang, heck I had a putter built last year that was face balanced with a plumbers neck that is long. Look at the TM Spider. Comes in a short slant neck, plumbers neck, and double bend all done to suit different strokes with the same head.

I agree, but wanted to clarify for the OP that what you described isn't always the case.   Within the big OEMs yes,  but with the boutique putter makers,  it enables them to better fine tune the putter to the players wants and needs. 

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I agree, but wanted to clarify for the OP that what you described isn't always the case.   Within the big OEMs yes,  but with the boutique putter makers,  it enables them to better fine tune the putter to the players wants and needs. 

That is correct and about the only thing I don’t own is a face balanced flow neck. Off to eBay I go!

WITB 2024

My putter has a full shaft offset with a welded "long pipe" neck.  This is, I suppose, a double bend.  Toe hang is 4:30-ish.  The shaft offset allows be to have a slight forward press without shutting down the face, at least that's what my brain thinks.  The flow is very pleasing to my eye, very flowing and not harsh like the plumber's neck.  I like flow, not abrupt lines.  This putter serves this purpose well and the results have been outstanding.

Epic Day 1.jpg

Epic Day 4.jpg

Epic Day 3.jpg

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

So my current putter has a toe hang of around 3:30-4:00; never checked before. I do have a slight arc in my putting stroke and this putter seems to work well for me.

Edited by Titleist87

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

My putter has a full shaft offset with a welded "long pipe" neck.  This is, I suppose, a double bend.  Toe hang is 4:30-ish.  The shaft offset allows be to have a slight forward press without shutting down the face, at least that's what my brain thinks.  The flow is very pleasing to my eye, very flowing and not harsh like the plumber's neck.  I like flow, not abrupt lines.  This putter serves this purpose well and the results have been outstanding.

1138929350_EpicDay1.jpg.259a2c697969246d0cc7a303878566f4.jpg
33073688_EpicDay4.jpg.eb480381badf8cdc0c08ea0d7add2375.jpg
1846825144_EpicDay3.jpg.b2c90e9da1307eddff63860ab9841064.jpg

Nice putter! I probably wouldn’t classify as double bend but a long flow neck; Byron used the term pipe neck. Notice the bend near the top; that helps influence where the shaft would intersect the head. If you drew a straight line down the center is the shaft and continued it to the head, you would see it intersects close to the middle. Also with the hosel being solid metal instead of a true double bend shaft you have put more weight toward the heel.

Just as another note, bending the lie angle of a putter can have a small influence on the toe hang. Bend your putter flat and you move that intersection point I mentioned closer to the center and reduce toe hang. So depending on how flat or upright you bend a putter you will change how it opens and closes during the stroke.

So mu current putter has a toe hang of around 3:30-4:00; never checked before. I do have a slight arc in my putting stroke and this putter seems to work well for me.

People like to use toe hang as a gauge for fit as it has a loose correlation to rotation. Rotation is the bigger consideration. If I had two essentially identical putters with the same toe hang but one head was 340 grams and one was 370 grams, they would perform differently.

Lots of details, but the main thing is that the putter works for your stroke.

• 2 years later...

They say toe hang putters suits people with strong arcing ( or inside path ) strokes best . I disagree, I have a strong inside path or arc. On the forward stoke my face shuts down quite a bit. Face balanced putter resist rotating much more on the forward stroke. I’m a puller and I’m much more accurate with a face balanced putter.

On a couple I've made I had different length hosels, both plumbers neck, and have 2 different toe hangs. Longer hosel definitely feels better to putt with and is more consistent too.

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 115 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..