TESTERS WANTED! ×

Scratch Golf Controversy

TWShoot67

• SPY VIP

Thanks for the info, intothegrain, and welcome to the board. The thing that really stands out to me is 8 clubs per day. I can't imagine the kind of care that goes into spending 1/8 of a workday on 1 club. Buying a club like that...that's getting your money's worth.

Don't you feel the same 'in the zone' kind of feeling with the wood?

I think that 8 a day that you can be proud of is fantastic. I would leave in good spirits...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To your point - I recently visited Scratch Golf's Tour Department in Chattanooga TN and met Patrick Boyd, Scratch Golf's VP of Custom Sales and Director of Tour Department Operations. Basically he is in charge of making Scratch Golf's professional staff, touring pros and custom order customers happy. He took time out of his day to give me a tour of the facility, where they turn out about 8 clubs per day, all hand made. The addition of Don White, a hall of fame clubmaker, adds to their already legendary ability to combine modern design and fitting techniques with classic materials and workmanship to create very high performance golf clubs.

The fact that many touring professionals choose Scratch clubs without being paid to play them is one thing, but combine that with the fact that any hack off the street can get the same treatment as a touring pro makes them a winner in my book.

After the tour of the workshop, Patrick took me to the local golf course and performed a fitting for wedges with me. I hit wedges with a variety of grinds and materials, and after moving to the chipping green we found a wedge grind and loft options that work for me. Once I found the best grind, i was able to hit every shot around the greens from just about any lie. Needless to say. I can't wait to get my hands on a custom made wedge from Scratch.

I am a +2 handicap and play tournament golf in Florida at the state level. The bottom line for me in a wedge is performance and feel. I don't care if these wedges are made of 1018, 1010, 1025 or 8620 for that matter. If I can score with them, they are going in my bag.

I've played Cleveland and Titleist Vokey wedges for years. These are all cast BTW. Most people have been taught to desire a forged club, but just because it's forged doesn't make it better. Scratch's milled 8620 wedges are just as good as their 1018 wedges for most people. Only the most accomplished players using softer golf balls will really be able to tell the difference between the two materials in my opinion.

In regards to the debate between Scratch, Miura and TSG, I would have to side with the manufacturers in this case. For one I don't see how misleading customers in the internet era could be of any benefit for either company. Chris may have an agenda or motivation to make his case, or perhaps he's simply misinformed. Either way I call it how I see it, and having seen the attention to detail that Scratch puts into making it's wedges first hand, I can tell you that you will never go wrong with any product they have to offer.

Thanks for the post. It makes me what to go through that same process some day. I personally can tell the difference between a forged iron and a cast and I love the feel of forge. But I will add this, that casting irons has come along way from what it once was 10-20 years ago. Using CAD with engineers who put their designs to work with using sound slots or dampening vibration pads surely makes some casted clubs not feel near as harsh as they once did. But I'll still say I can feel the difference of a cast iron and forged iron. It's just gotten closer.SCIENCE! I use the analogy of golf balls. I can tell the difference between a TOP FLIGHT and ProV 1. Maybe using those two balls is wrong but back in the days of balata or wound balls vs.2 piece you could feel the difference for sure! Now covers have changes the game a bit but it's all about the science part of the game now.Hope I didn't confuse anyone it's getting late and I've been up for two straight days with only 3 hr. nap. Sorry for the rambling.

Tim

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Thanks for the post. It makes me what to go through that same process some day. I personally can tell the difference between a forged iron and a cast and I love the feel of forge. But I will add this, that casting irons has come along way from what it once was 10-20 years ago. Using CAD with engineers who put their designs to work with using sound slots or dampening vibration pads surely makes some casted clubs not feel near as harsh as they once did. But I'll still say I can feel the difference of a cast iron and forged iron. It's just gotten closer.SCIENCE! I use the analogy of golf balls. I can tell the difference between a TOP FLIGHT and ProV 1. Maybe using those two balls is wrong but back in the days of balata or wound balls vs.2 piece you could feel the difference for sure! Now covers have changes the game a bit but it's all about the science part of the game now.Hope I didn't confuse anyone it's getting late and I've been up for two straight days with only 3 hr. nap. Sorry for the rambling.

Tim

I think you are surprisingly coherent if you've only had 6 hours sleep in the last 48. Sactown doesn't make that much sense on a full nights sleep.. ;)

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Sleep Tim. We will all be here in the morning...

I'm here Huckleberry...

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Sleep Tim. We will all be here in the morning...

It's about that time I've been trying to deal with two, three other sites and buying and selling clubs but I had to pull the shaft from my New head I just got so I could put a shaft in tonight so I can DEMO this monster tomorrow. Yes 3 hr's is not enough, but when my New driver arrived I got another burst that kept me going for another 12 hrs. Good Night All.......

The Bag:

Right handed

Titleist Vokey Proto's

TM TP5 X

GHIN # 5144472

Don't you feel the same 'in the zone' kind of feeling with the wood?

I think that 8 a day that you can be proud of is fantastic. I would leave in good spirits...

Once again, Sactown, you've teed up the ball, but I will not swing.

There are definitely times when I hit a stride in the shop. The best thing in the world is having a full day to just build, none of the usual business of "Do 1 operation, walk the dog, do another step, pay some bills."

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

To your point - I recently visited Scratch Golf's Tour Department in Chattanooga TN and met Patrick Boyd, Scratch Golf's VP of Custom Sales and Director of Tour Department Operations. Basically he is in charge of making Scratch Golf's professional staff, touring pros and custom order customers happy. He took time out of his day to give me a tour of the facility, where they turn out about 8 clubs per day, all hand made. The addition of Don White, a hall of fame clubmaker, adds to their already legendary ability to combine modern design and fitting techniques with classic materials and workmanship to create very high performance golf clubs.

The fact that many touring professionals choose Scratch clubs without being paid to play them is one thing, but combine that with the fact that any hack off the street can get the same treatment as a touring pro makes them a winner in my book.

After the tour of the workshop, Patrick took me to the local golf course and performed a fitting for wedges with me. I hit wedges with a variety of grinds and materials, and after moving to the chipping green we found a wedge grind and loft options that work for me. Once I found the best grind, i was able to hit every shot around the greens from just about any lie. Needless to say. I can't wait to get my hands on a custom made wedge from Scratch.

I am a +2 handicap and play tournament golf in Florida at the state level. The bottom line for me in a wedge is performance and feel. I don't care if these wedges are made of 1018, 1010, 1025 or 8620 for that matter. If I can score with them, they are going in my bag.

I've played Cleveland and Titleist Vokey wedges for years. These are all cast BTW. Most people have been taught to desire a forged club, but just because it's forged doesn't make it better. Scratch's milled 8620 wedges are just as good as their 1018 wedges for most people. Only the most accomplished players using softer golf balls will really be able to tell the difference between the two materials in my opinion.

In regards to the debate between Scratch, Miura and TSG, I would have to side with the manufacturers in this case. For one I don't see how misleading customers in the internet era could be of any benefit for either company. Chris may have an agenda or motivation to make his case, or perhaps he's simply misinformed. Either way I call it how I see it, and having seen the attention to detail that Scratch puts into making it's wedges first hand, I can tell you that you will never go wrong with any product they have to offer.

A few pictures of the Scratch Golf Tour Department are attached to my article BTW: http://www.intothegrain.com/scratch-golf-tour-department-behind-the-scenes/

WITB

Driver: Cleveland Classic 290 7.5 w/ Miyazaki C.Kua 56x

Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 w/ Rombax 7Z08 X

Hybrid: Cleveland DST 18 w/ Miyazaki C.Kua 95x

Irons: Cleveland CG16 Tour w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 95x

Wedge: Cleveland 588 Custom 52 w/ DG Spinner Wedge+

Wedge: Fourteen RM-11 58 w/ DG X100

Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Royal

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow

John Duval, Editor

www.intothegrain.com

A few pictures of the Scratch Golf Tour Department are attached to my article BTW: http://www.intothegrain.com/scratch-golf-tour-department-behind-the-scenes/

Thanks for the link John.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Roughly how long did the wedge fitting take? I'm really interested in getting this done.

Probably took about an hour, maybe a bit less. He started by having me hit some half wedges, and observing the sound (for solid contact) and divot size and shape to get an idea of which grind would be right. Then I tried a few different clubs and grinds to get a feel for how each performs. Moving on to full swings, punches and and finally to the chipping green, where I tried hitting basic chips, low, spinning shots and high soft shots. The lies were tight and finding the right grind was pretty easy. We experimented with a few different ones for comparison before settling on the SLT grind in a 58 degree and the DOG grind in a 53.

It's all part of the custom wedge order process, and fitting doesn't cost extra so log as you can make it to Chattanooga or one of their demo days. Basically, once you have the wedge type and grind you like, they will finish it how you want, with polished chrome, satin, triple black and a few other options. Then they will stamp it with your initials or whatever, pant fill if desired, shaft it to your specs and voila - A truly custom wedge.

WITB

John Duval, Editor

www.intothegrain.com

Probably took about an hour, maybe a bit less. He started by having me hit some half wedges, and observing the sound (for solid contact) and divot size and shape to get an idea of which grind would be right. Then I tried a few different clubs and grinds to get a feel for how each performs. Moving on to full swings, punches and and finally to the chipping green, where I tried hitting basic chips, low, spinning shots and high soft shots. The lies were tight and finding the right grind was pretty easy. We experimented with a few different ones for comparison before settling on the SLT grind in a 58 degree and the DOG grind in a 53.

It's all part of the custom wedge order process, and fitting doesn't cost extra so log as you can make it to Chattanooga or one of their demo days. Basically, once you have the wedge type and grind you like, they will finish it how you want, with polished chrome, satin, triple black and a few other options. Then they will stamp it with your initials or whatever, pant fill if desired, shaft it to your specs and voila - A truly custom wedge.

I never thought Id ever hear myself say this, but I really want to take a trip to Chattanooga.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I never thought Id ever hear myself say this, but I really want to take a trip to Chattanooga.

The course there looks nice too. It's called The Black Creek Club. They have a Nationwide event there every year. The main reason they chose Chattanooga for the office was to be close to the players and mini-tours. That is where they do their "R & D", and connect with the players in person. Several mini tours like the Hooters, Nationwide (not really a mini tour any more), eGolf and a few others play events in the region, giving them close access to the players and vice versa. Orlando or another big city was never really an option for them.

If you are a serious golfer, or a golfer that is serious about equipment, it's worth a trip if you are in the area. If you are willing to Pay upwards of $350 for a custom hand ground wedge, you owe it to yourself to get a wedge that works for you, not what works for some touring pro.

WITB

John Duval, Editor

www.intothegrain.com

If you are willing to Pay upwards of $350 for a custom hand ground wedge, you owe it to yourself to get a wedge that works for you, not what works for some touring pro.

I'm serious about equipment John, but $350 for a wedge (hand ground or not) is pretty steep. Then again, with Don White doing the grinding, they can probably charge that and be somewhat justified. A lot of guys familiar with Don's work would pay that much and more for a club that he's worked on.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I'm serious about equipment John, but $350 for a wedge (hand ground or not) is pretty steep. Then again, with Don White doing the grinding, they can probably charge that and be somewhat justified. A lot of guys familiar with Don's work would pay that much and more for a club that he's worked on.

Yeah, and I was told the $350 price is for a wedge that is indeed hand ground by Mr. White. Not sure if the price goes down for a Jeff McCoy wedge, but he's certainly no slouch and got them where they are today...

WITB

John Duval, Editor

www.intothegrain.com

5th place in the contest is a hand ground wedge. Stop posting right now and maybe me and Nic can pass you. :lol:

Edit: I already am still a little ahead of you, but I don't know if I can keep up your torrid pace today.

5th place in the contest is a hand ground wedge. Stop posting right now and maybe me and Nic can pass you. :lol:

Edit: I already am still a little ahead of you, but I don't know if I can keep up your torrid pace today.

I'm sure you'll wear me down. I'm old.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Yeah, and I was told the $350 price is for a wedge that is indeed hand ground by Mr. White. Not sure if the price goes down for a Jeff McCoy wedge, but he's certainly no slouch and got them where they are today...

No, Jeff is an artist too and he's one of the best in the business. But Don is a legend because of his association with Nicklaus and Norman. People will pay a premium for that.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• 9 months later...

Yes it matters if the club in question is at a premium price. Its not good enough to say if it works does it matter.

I agree with the previous poster, the Muira forging issue is a bigger thing for me. I get the 'when is 1018 not really 1018' argument, and its a bit boring to be frank, its a technical point, US versus China versus Japan blah blah, blends and almost the same as etc etc. The marketing boys have had some fun with it and now they have been called out, I'm sure it won't really do any harm to them above and beyond people like me having this sour taste in the mouths for a while, then it will be forgotten. But the Muira forging or not forging will rumble on I suspect.

paying a premium price for a misrepresented item (even if it works) doesn't sound right to me... its like buying a lamborghini with a hyundai engine (when they misrepresented to you that its a 5.5 lamborghini engine) I'll be damm piss. But from some of threads i read here, you guys would reckon it's money well spent despite the misrepresentation.

Brandern

Titleist 909D Comp 9.5 Matrix Ozik Stiff

Maruman Shuttle i4000x 15 degrees Stiff

Maruman Conductor 5 Wood

Nike SlingShot HL 3 Hybrid

Mizuno MP-62 4-pw

Maruman KS wedges 52 and 58 degrees

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Srixon: Soft feel

paying a premium price for a misrepresented item (even if it works) doesn't sound right to me... its like buying a lamborghini with a hyundai engine (when they misrepresented to you that its a 5.5 lamborghini engine) I'll be damm piss. But from some of threads i read here, you guys would reckon it's money well spent despite the misrepresentation.

Would you care to elaborate on Scratch's misrepresentation. Sounds like you have some bad info.... you might want to read this thread from beginning to end. I did a bunch of research and talked to all those involved. the only person who wouldn't talk directly was the accuser. I posted on his site to get to the bottom of this and when my thread was the main discussion back when TSG brought up the lies, I went right to ARI Techner from Scratch and Bill Holowaty from Miura all willing to answer any and all question I had. I can't say the same for Chris @ TSG. I guess you can believe who you like but they both submitted the irons to be independently tested and they came back with results that supported Scratch Golf's claim to materials being used. Other then that what other misrepresentation are you referring too?

The Bag:

Right handed

Titleist Vokey Proto's

TM TP5 X

GHIN # 5144472

I don't have any bad info on Scratch apart from what i've read on the net. Now I don't use Scratch (though i've tried my friend's EZ-1 before) and I certainly don't buy things from TSG as i can get it in Korea anyway :P. I'm just a bystander reading both TSG's report and Scratch's report and the threads here. It makes me wonder why until now Scratch has not taken legal action against TSG if TSG's report was untrue and defamed Scratch. Thus, Inferences can be easily drawn against scratch that TSG's report, on the balance of probability is true.

After taking into account the above, i based on TSG's report that the wedges were 1010 steel instead of 1018 steel as well as their irons which are 1025 steel and not 1018 steel (that is where i am commenting from actually). I am in the business of selling jewelery. It is very important i tell my clients what's the correct and accurate content of gold in each and every piece of jewellery either 14k gold or 18k gold (rarely we find 24k gold, as its too soft to make a stable shaped jewelery). If i'm selling a gold ring which the content of gold is only 14k but i represented to my client its 18k, it is a clear misrepresentation, notwithstanding that the design is beautiful,attractive and unique (and in the present case, the wedges work well and have good feel, and i see some of the posts here stating that they don't care less about the contents of the metal, as long as it works). There are lots of ways of doing business, and in Korea here we talk about honour and truthfulness when doing business( so is in Japan). :)

Brandern

Titleist 909D Comp 9.5 Matrix Ozik Stiff

Maruman Shuttle i4000x 15 degrees Stiff

Maruman Conductor 5 Wood

Nike SlingShot HL 3 Hybrid

Mizuno MP-62 4-pw

Maruman KS wedges 52 and 58 degrees

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Srixon: Soft feel

I don't have any bad info on Scratch apart from what i've read on the net. Now I don't use Scratch (though i've tried my friend's EZ-1 before) and I certainly don't buy things from TSG as i can get it in Korea anyway :P. I'm just a bystander reading both TSG's report and Scratch's report and the threads here. It makes me wonder why until now Scratch has not taken legal action against TSG if TSG's report was untrue and defamed Scratch. Thus, Inferences can be easily drawn against scratch that TSG's report, on the balance of probability is true.

After taking into account the above, i based on TSG's report that the wedges were 1010 steel instead of 1018 steel as well as their irons which are 1025 steel and not 1018 steel (that is where i am commenting from actually). I am in the business of selling jewelery. It is very important i tell my clients what's the correct and accurate content of gold in each and every piece of jewellery either 14k gold or 18k gold (rarely we find 24k gold, as its too soft to make a stable shaped jewelery). If i'm selling a gold ring which the content of gold is only 14k but i represented to my client its 18k, it is a clear misrepresentation, notwithstanding that the design is beautiful,attractive and unique (and in the present case, the wedges work well and have good feel, and i see some of the posts here stating that they don't care less about the contents of the metal, as long as it works). There are lots of ways of doing business, and in Korea here we talk about honour and truthfulness when doing business( so is in Japan). :)

Well if you did see both reports then you would have also seen that Scratch's and TSG's results also have variances that you could say fall withing the boundaries of Scratch not misrepresenting their product, it's just how you want to spin it.I doubt any metallurgy test comes out spot on 1018? As far as lawsuits who's to say that hasn't happened. Or maybe Scratch's sales and Miura's sales are good enough that they are not worried about what amounts to a blogger? All I can tell you is that Bill from Miura said to me in one of our email conversations that in fact they may bring suit against TSG. all I know is Scratch is not in the same market as is someone like Callaway who brought suit again Titleist about the whole ball fiasco and won... only to have it overturned after an appeal from Titleist. I personally thought it pretty lame for Cally to do what they did when in fact the patents they claimed Titleist stole where patents that in fact where not being used (possible expired) by anyone ( any ball manufacturer could have done the same blended different patents together but they didn't Titleist did) and where available for all companies to use, but only after many years of success with the ProV1 did Callaway decide after they purchased some old patents that were actually Spalding's original patents decide they could beat Titleist in ball sales by bringing claim against them. Why not just make a better ball? Sorry for getting off track but it was basically the same thing. Callaway had sour grapes because they couldn't beat Titleist in ball design. Well Ari set it straight that the reason this guy from TSG brought all this up was the fact that he use to buy Scratch's irons from Ari then resell and mark them up to make an absurd amount of profit and only after Ari told him he would cut him off with product because of a price issue did TSG write this article. I really don't believe it was to enlighten the public, but more of a personal vendetta again Ari. who knows maybe I'm just gullible? LOL. I'm glad to see that you have good business practices....every country should but we have theives in every country who will sell anything to make a buck!

The Bag:

Right handed

Titleist Vokey Proto's

TM TP5 X

GHIN # 5144472

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like your Miuras are a "forgery" after all. Ha

...any of these for real?

Macgregor Muirfield 20th

Mizuno Mp 14/29

Maruman Conductor CXii

Wilson FG-51

Bag

Ping i15 GD YS+ 7 TX

CY Diablo tour 15* GD YS+ 6 X

Taylor Rescue11 TP 19* RIP X

Cobra SS forged PX 6.5

Ping eye2 SW/LW TT spinner

Mizuno Black Carbon CB6

• 2 years later...

Just read the Scratch post on the Blog. here's the link:  http://www.mygolfspy.com/scratch-golf-10-years-later

Brought back memories of a story I found years ago and tried to shed some light on. If any of you guys or gals want to read more about Ari and Scratch Golf go back to page 1. This was a hot topic once upon a time when the site was still quite young! Thanks for posting the New Scratch article on the blog, great reading! I believe this NEW Scratch blog article was written by an old friend (Spy Zinger) since looks like he's responded to all the post made on the MGS blog. Just didn't see anywhere that stated who wrote the article. None the less it's a great piece.

The Bag:

Right handed

Titleist Vokey Proto's

TM TP5 X

GHIN # 5144472

Thanks Tim! I did ask Ari about this and Tour Spec in the interview but thought I would just let it rest. Just the same about the BSG relationship back in the day. Remember when Scratch Golf talk was absolutely prohibited? I just didn't know if folks were around then or would for interest in the content.

Posted Image

Thanks Tim! I did ask Ari about this and Tour Spec in the interview but thought I would just let it rest. Just the same about the BSG relationship back in the day. Remember when Scratch Golf talk was absolutely prohibited? I just didn't know if folks were around then or would for interest in the content.

Yes, things  back at BSG were much different then they are now. Either you were a BSG'r or a WRX'r it was total BS that you couldn't bring stories or posts from one site to another to just help spread the word of product or ideas others had in this great game of golf. The former owner basically banned you if you mentioned anything positive about another golf forum. It was like he was trying to control the internet... LOL. You really couldn't have a honest opinion of your own if it didn't coincide with the powers to be @ BSG, well that's all changed now. What I notice now it seems like most of these sites are all becoming the same way trying to always control content. Back to Scratch before I say too much... LOL I'm just glad to see Scratch having some success in such a tough business to make it especially when your a small company.  Heck just look at how many BIG Named Golf companies have vanished over the last 10 years! I really enjoyed reading your Scratch piece and it brought back good memories for me when I felt like I was much more a part of this site. Right when this site was starting to gain momentum i was having all types of personal issues with my family and I just couldn't put the time into the site like I did when the site started. Hope I can start getting more involved again. I like most of what this site tries to do and stands for...

The Bag:

Right handed

Titleist Vokey Proto's

TM TP5 X

GHIN # 5144472