Scratch Golf Controversy

Our Sponsors

I just received the written test results from our independent tester through email. We sent in for testing a 50* Scratch wedge, a 58* Scratch wedge, one of the Tour Spec wedges that we made for Chris (that he claimed to know for a fact was made from S25C steel)and a Mizuno MP Wedge. All 3 of the Scratch made clubs including the Tour Spec wedge came back at 15% carbon which as I posted above is consistent with American 1018 Carbon Steel.

50* Scratch Wedge:

50 Test.jpg

58* Scratch Wedge:

58 Test.jpg

Scratch made Tour Spec Wedge:

Tour Spec Test.jpg

Mizuno MP Wedge:

Mizuno Test.jpg

Ari Techner

President/CEO

Scratch Golf Clubs

ari_techner@scratchgolf.com

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Funny I just talked with Ari again and I already sent off a copy of this to Bill at Miura so to get a response and to let him know whats being printed about Mr. Miura. It's crazy that someone would tr

Funny I had to look that one up myself.... and I'm still not sure why he brought up the Dashanzi International Art Festival?

Rather disappointing that some of my posts on this topic were deleted. I would appreciate an explanation from the administrators as to why those posts were deleted.       Shambles

Posted Images

Tell you what...I don't care what numbers show up or don't show up, I love my custom grind Scratch wedge and will definitely be buying another for summer play.

Numbers can be fudged to say what they want, and there are way too many variables to make judgements on this

I just received the written test results from our independent tester through email. We sent in for testing a 50* Scratch wedge, a 58* Scratch wedge, one of the Tour Spec wedges that we made for Chris (that he claimed to know for a fact was made from S25C steel)and a Mizuno MP Wedge. All 3 of the Scratch made clubs including the Tour Spec wedge came back at 15% carbon which as I posted above is consistent with American 1018 Carbon Steel.

So the controversy is over? I hope so.

• SPY VIP

So the controversy is over? I hope so.

For some reason I don't think so. I would hope so. But this is a nasty situation.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @golfspy_dave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

50* Scratch Wedge:

50 Test.jpg

58* Scratch Wedge:

58 Test.jpg

Scratch made Tour Spec Wedge:

Tour Spec Test.jpg

Mizuno MP Wedge:

Mizuno Test.jpg

You neglected to post the name of your independent tester.

I can't connect to the links or the pictures above. Help would be appreciated.

Shambles

You neglected to post the name of your independent tester.

I can't connect to the links or the pictures above. Help would be appreciated.

Shambles

MSI Testing and Engineering in Melrose Park, IL was the company, according to the letterhead ... 708-343-3444

Posted Image

MSI Testing and Engineering in Melrose Park, IL was the company, according to the letterhead ... 708-343-3444

Thanks for the help.

For reasons I don't understand the display on this site sometimes eaten into by the ads on the right and I frequently have difficulty with the links. I'm purportedly using the latest, I.E. 8, so I doubt it's a version problem. It might be my ISP.

Shambles

I'm very glad to see that Ari was able to post a thorough response so quickly.

So, the situation is basically that two different companies tested the clubs and found two different things? Is that accurate?

Personally, I agree with jamo: I've heard nothing but good things about the grinds, feel, etc of Scratch wedges is outstanding and I will very likely be adding some to my bag.

Edit: I agree with jballman, not jamo, sorry.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I'm very glad to see that Ari was able to post a thorough response so quickly.

So, the situation is basically that two different companies tested the clubs and found two different things? Is that accurate?

Personally, I agree with jamo: I've heard nothing but good things about the grinds, feel, etc of Scratch wedges is outstanding and I will very likely be adding some to my bag.

I hope one day to be able to add some to my bag too, though that might be well into the future.

All I know when I first posted this topic Ari has always been open and available for any questions I had for him personally. The same goes for Bill Holowaty over at Miura USA. I'm glad all this has been brought to a open forum where everyone has had the opportunity to ask any question they felt necessary to be answered. It's also refreshing to see an owner who's been posting to everyones questions. I know that when I purchase another set of irons in the future I will definitely be considering giving the boys at Scratch Golf my business. to be honest I like the way Ari makes himself available. You don't find this with all golf club makers. My main purpose in visiting all the different forums is to become as educated as I possibly can with the game I love. I appreciate all the contribution to this site by all involved.

Tim

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

• SPY VIP

All I know when I first posted this topic Ari has always been open and available for any questions I had for him personally. The same goes for Bill Holowaty over at Miura USA. I'm glad all this has been brought to a open forum where everyone has had the opportunity to ask any question they felt necessary to be answered. It's also refreshing to see an owner who's been posting to everyones questions. I know that when I purchase another set of irons in the future I will definitely be considering giving the boys at Scratch Golf my business. to be honest I like the way Ari makes himself available. You don't find this with all golf club makers. My main purpose in visiting all the different forums is to become as educated as I possibly can with the game I love. I appreciate all the contribution to this site by all involved.

Tim

Well said Tim, but you forgot one thing. You deserve a big thank you for bringing this issue forward and for all of your above the norm efforts.

Thank you

Volvo Intorqueo

Well said Tim, but you forgot one thing. You deserve a big thank you for bringing this issue forward and for all of your above the norm efforts.

Thank you

Thanks Sactown, I appreciate it. I just love this great game and equipment is one of the biggest parts of the game along with the rules, honor and integrity.

PS: I forgot one of the biggest parts of the game Friendships developed.

The Bag:

Right handed

Titleist Vokey Proto's

TM TP5 X

GHIN # 5144472

I have become Good Friend's with Tim and can honestly say that he is a great guy and kudos to him for this Thread,

I was also a Dealer for Scratch Golf product in the UK and As a product rank it up there with the best, if not the best,

Ari is a Top Guy to deal with and considering he is a CEO Of a fast growing US Golf Equipment Company, He is allways available to talk to, Answer queries and his Input into all the Golf Forum's is second to none ( it's a wonder he get's any sleep)

I don't know this Chris guy from TSG, But he as obviously targeted the US Market with Japanese only product, selling Gold's factory putters at Scotty Circle T prices ( any Tour pro's using Gold's Factory)

I personally Know of a couple of European/Challenge Tour Player's using Scratch Wedges and they love them, they don't get paid to use them, That say's it all really.

Whilst Ari is Bringing much needed job's and Support to the US economy, I can't say that this Chris guy is doing the same, Well Done Ari and may your Success long continue, here's wishing Scratch Golf,Ryan and Christie all the very best for 2010.

I have become Good Friend's with Tim and can honestly say that he is a great guy and kudos to him for this Thread,

I was also a Dealer for Scratch Golf product in the UK and As a product rank it up there with the best, if not the best,

Ari is a Top Guy to deal with and considering he is a CEO Of a fast growing US Golf Equipment Company, He is allways available to talk to, Answer queries and his Input into all the Golf Forum's is second to none ( it's a wonder he get's any sleep)

I don't know this Chris guy from TSG, But he as obviously targeted the US Market with Japanese only product, selling Gold's factory putters at Scotty Circle T prices ( any Tour pro's using Gold's Factory)

I personally Know of a couple of European/Challenge Tour Player's using Scratch Wedges and they love them, they don't get paid to use them, That say's it all really.

Whilst Ari is Bringing much needed job's and Support to the US economy, I can't say that this Chris guy is doing the same, Well Done Ari and may your Success long continue, here's wishing Scratch Golf,Ryan and Christie all the very best for 2010.

Thanks Mark for your kind words! We've been friends for a while now over the years on all the different forums and I value your friendship and your golf knowledge. Like I've said to everyone who's read this topic, all I was trying to do was find out why such claims were being made. As a good friend just pointed out to me and it makes all the sense in the world. Just think of this for a minute.....Do you really think Don White would sign on to do custom work with Scratch Golf if they were just trying to sell an inferior product as Chris from TSG seem to be trying to say? It just doesn't make sense. At least it doesn't make sense to me!

The Bag:

Right handed

Titleist Vokey Proto's

TM TP5 X

GHIN # 5144472

Thanks Mark for your kind words! We've been friends for a while now over the years on all the different forums and I value your friendship and your golf knowledge. Like I've said to everyone who's read this topic, all I was trying to do was find out why such claims were being made. As a good friend just pointed out to me and it makes all the sense in the world. Just think of this for a minute.....Do you really think Don White would sign on to do custom work with Scratch Golf if they were just trying to sell an inferior product as Chris from TSG seem to be trying to say? It just doesn't make sense. At least it doesn't make sense to me!

This is an excellent point, and I agree with the aforementioned point that it's refreshing to see a CEO who's out there answering questions from the people who buy his product. Furthering the "does this make sense?" argument, I just don't see why a company would focus on claims about using a specific metal, then use something else., particularly a smaller company like Scratch that hangs it hat on the quality of its product.

This is an excellent point, and I agree with the aforementioned point that it's refreshing to see a CEO who's out there answering questions from the people who buy his product. Furthering the "does this make sense?" argument, I just don't see why a company would focus on claims about using a specific metal, then use something else., particularly a smaller company like Scratch that hangs it hat on the quality of its product.

My point exactly, what would Ari (Scratch) have to gain by using an inferior product as Chris wants people to believe? it doesn't fit. Just starting to sound more and more like sour grapes. I tried to invite Chris to post right here with all involved. I invited him as well as Bill from Miura and Bill wrote me via email. Chris never even acknowledged me he just called me a Fan Boy. I really thought that was funny as I've never played Scratch wedges or irons as of yet and never talked to Ari until this thread and this guys comeback was that I was a fan boy.

The Bag:

Right handed

Titleist Vokey Proto's

TM TP5 X

GHIN # 5144472

My point exactly, what would Ari (Scratch) have to gain by using an inferior product as Chris wants people to believe? it doesn't fit. Just starting to sound more and more like sour grapes. I tried to invite Chris to post right here when I posted on his blog only to have my post deleted when I went back the next day to see his response. That was the very next day after I found this blog.

This is extremely telling, to me. When you're trying to control what people say, you end up looking really bad, and it leads me to assume that you're trying to prevent people from finding out the truth. Ari, on the other hand, has been open to questions and is not trying to silence criticism, rather he's answering it with facts.

• SPY VIP

My point exactly, what would Ari (Scratch) have to gain by using an inferior product as Chris wants people to believe? it doesn't fit. Just starting to sound more and more like sour grapes. I tried to invite Chris to post right here when I posted on his blog only to have my post deleted when I went back the next day to see his response. That was the very next day after I found this blog.

That is weak. If he was so sure, he should have welcomed your comments. Nothing like a little revisionist history.

For me, at some point when my game matures, I can see buying a Scratch wedge or two, but I don't see myself ordering from TSG.

Volvo Intorqueo

That is weak. If he was so sure, he should have welcomed your comments. Nothing like a little revisionist history.

For me, at some point when my game matures, I can see buying a Scratch wedge or two, but I don't see myself ordering from TSG.

Good point, this has definitely cost TSG a customer. Not that I was a big customer before, just the occasional headcover, but I did like going over there and looking around. After watching this play out, I will find more deserving companies to give my business to.