Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

JUST ARRIVED! - Adams Idea Pro A12 Hybrids

• SPY VIP

Along with the A12 Irons we received a shipment of Adams A12 Pro Hybrids for review (and something else really cool). When the hybrids came in, I did something I almost never do... I put them in my bag and headed out to the golf course. I've played close to a hundred holes with them in my bag, so I think I'm in a good position to share some initial thoughts.

Here's what I don't like:

• Not a fan of the cut-out design on the crown. I'd like it better if it were seamless.
  • Toe is a little boxy looking (sort of like the boxer hybrid)

Here's what I like:

• Everything else

Seriously, I can't wait to get these into the hands of our testers to see what they think.

Normally we don't bother taking pictures of head covers (because who cares), but this the fold-over magnetic design Adams has come up with is really cool.

As far as the shafts are concerned, we asked for the Aldila RIP'd VS Proto. Lots of guys were fans of the original VS Proto, and the RIP series has been a HUGE hit with our testers, so this new model kinda sounded like two of our favorites mated and had a perfect little shaft baby, so we went with it. The Matrix Ozik Altus is the 2nd stock shaft offering.

Let us know what you think and let us know if you have any questions.

AEC_9489.jpg

AEC_9494.jpg

AEC_9495.jpg

AEC_9496.jpg

AEC_9500.jpg

AEC_9502.jpg

AEC_9504.jpg

AEC_9485.jpg

AEC_9486.jpg

AEC_9487.jpg

AEC_9488.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I want that shaft... :wub:

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

I've only hit this on the monitor, but I really enjoy it. Much as I love the look, I wasn't wowed by the feel of the RIP'd VS Proto. The Ozik, on the other hand, feels like a monster - huge load & release feeling, without being loose at all.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I want that shaft... :wub:

twss...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I hit the a12 with all the stock shafts a week before the release. Amazing how different it performed with each shaft. Adams covered some wide ranges of swig atyles and strengths. My favorite was the RIP VS though. It launched higher than the white matrix whoch was low and ran like a dog.

The sound was too high pitched for me. I want a hybrid to sound close to an iron. The high toe looked odd compared to what I'm used to see. The performnce was GREAT once I found the right shafts (RIP VS PROTO STIFF), and I like the crown qith the black face, but a club that gets hit off the ground will look bad after a little range time. The headcover looks great.

Overall I'll pass. I still think the old Titleist 585H is the best hybrid.

I spy with my little eye something...

I think you should send it to me to test out for you. I haven't hit this one yet, could've bought it a few months ago but was scared to intimidate my Pro Blacks going into the tournaments I was playing at that time. Now I've got some down time to tinker a bit.

Everyone I've talked to that's hit them like them. The crown doesn't take much getting used to, especially if you've ever hit the PNT.

The only thing Adams should do is offer a steel shaft version. For me, I haven't found a better shaft that a KBS Hybrid.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I know it's pre having them in the testers hands but how has the forgiveness of these been? Are we talking like Pro Black replacement or around the lines of the V3's?

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I know it's pre having them in the testers hands but how has the forgiveness of these been? Are we talking like Pro Black replacement or around the lines of the V3's?

The pro black "feels" and looks smaller. I would feel more comfortable taking a big rip with the a12. A big rip with the pro black would "feel" like it requires a perfect hit there by slowing me down a bit. The a12 compares to the Black Super IMO. The foot print is perfect. I wish the sound was more dull.

I spy with my little eye something...

The pro black "feels" and looks smaller. I would feel more comfortable taking a big rip with the a12. A big rip with the pro black would "feel" like it requires a perfect hit there by slowing me down a bit. The a12 compares to the Black Super IMO. The foot print is perfect. I wish the sound was more dull.

Cheers!

I loved the look of the Super Black but couldn't get to grips with the Voodoo in it. I'm hoping the Altus turns out a bit better.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

• SPY VIP

I'd say somewhere in between. The Pro Black may be the smallest hybrid out there. Way to boxy for my tastes, but the profile was great. The A12s are bigger, but not to the extent of the V3 or Super-Hybrid. The V3 is similar to Titleist's 910 series, the A12 definitely has the a smaller profile than that.

Regarding the shafts...I haven't found a Matrix shaft I liked (which is in part why we asked for the RIP'd VS Proto). Comparing the trajectory of the RIP'd to the original, I'd say the newer version launches slightly lower, and has a more penetrating ball flight. The VS Proto had a tendency to balloon on me. I haven't had that issue (yet) with the new version.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Do they sit more open like the V3 as well?

I'm not ruling out the VS Proto RIP's either, I just haven't had much luck with Aldila's in the past (Voodoo SV, RIP Alpha, RIP Gamma)

• 4 months later...

Great info I was really thinking I should try another hybrid but after reading this I am pleased to know I am not alone in the hybrid sux category.

NOW I really need help I have room for 1 more club. I have driver 3w 4-g Adams A12 pro and 56 and 60 scratch wedges.

So I am looking at 5w or 64 ish wedge what would yall do?

• 1 year later...

It's funny how we all have our favorites - I've had Adams hybrids in my bag since they first released the Idea Pro - I've always prefered the smaller head of their proline hybrid - I find it a most suitable replacement for my long irons - other hybrids seem too woody for me.

Can't wait to see the test results of these.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I ended up going with an Idea Pro Black A12 20* w/ Matrix Altus S so thank you for your reviews. Would anyone be able to compare the Altus to an Aldila NVS hybrid shaft, which is what I'm coming from, in terms of launch, spin and tip stiffness? Thanks.

Archived