ballplayer002003

Covid Handicaping?

Our Sponsors

On 4/13/2020 at 4:53 AM, SteddyGolf said:

The noodle in the cup actually makes me a better putter. When you watch the pros more times than not they have the confidence to bang it into the back of the cup essentially taking out the break on three to five foot putts. I’ve always struggled with this but the noddle helps me take away the fear of missing then rolling 10 feet past.

I’m not posting scores because I know it’s a false positive in regards to my specific golf game. In the absence of the noodle I would most likely miss a couple of those shorties every round.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Before we were shut down the courses I played up here installed a platform (might have been a trimmed swim noodle) in the cup to make it shallow and easier to retrieve the ball without removing the flag (depth on average seemed to be about a ball deep).  That said, the height/depth was not uniform and I saw several putts pop back out because the 'platform' was very shallow (about 1/2 ball diameter deep).  That led to the discussion about 'most likely score' and what was right.  One of the points brought up was the raised cup at another course; I think the consensus was that anything that bounced off further than the length of a grip needed to be putted again; however the agreement on the platform holes was that if we saw it drop and the hole was shallow, then it dropped (I have not been able to find any written guidance on either).  Glad you're still getting to play, regardless of the hole depth. We have been shut down up here in WA.

Cheers.

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115
  • Wedges - Cleveland RTX-3 raw, 50/10 & 56/8*
  • Putter - Callaway Bobby Jones BJ-1
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - Snell MTB Black
  • *Going to try some new wedges this year - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex, jumbo Golf Pride Tour Velvet
  • Bag(s)/cart - Sun Mountain Synch/TM Flextech Lite, Sun Mountain Micro

Interesting thread here.  A point for consideration:

As noted the governing body has made a ruling on modified play and reporting scores; we may or may not agree, but there are people out there, like the guy who was hitting "slap shots" at the stick and calling them good, who were also kicking their ball out from behind bushes and trees and rolling them in the fairway, and there were also the 'players' who were shooting 38 and recording 44; so what has really changed?  The same players who were out there bending the rules or the intent of the rule are just taking advantage of another opportunity; not unlike other areas of life.  Players who are pounding the raised cup and counting them good are going to artificially lower their handicap.  

As a game where integrity is important and sandbaggers give us all issues, the folks who are counting brush passes and rebounds are going reap what they sow when the regular rules return.  Personally, I figure that does two things for the rest of us,

a. The honest golfer will have an edge in side matches;

b.  The honest golfer will have an edge in tournaments.  

So, unless one is out on the course playing for something other than the number on your card during this strange time live the benefit is that you now know for sure who the players are who have been 'bending' the rules all of these years when out of your sight. At this point I could care less is I have a hockey player or a wanna-be spy practicing their intel brush passes with a raised cup, I just wish we could get the courses here in WA opened back up.  We have 60+ degree, sunny weather forecast for the next 6 days and backyard golf or inside simulators (if you have one) rule the day up here. Cheers to all of you who can get out there and swing away.  Have a breakfast ball for those of us who are locked out.

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115
  • Wedges - Cleveland RTX-3 raw, 50/10 & 56/8*
  • Putter - Callaway Bobby Jones BJ-1
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - Snell MTB Black
  • *Going to try some new wedges this year - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex, jumbo Golf Pride Tour Velvet
  • Bag(s)/cart - Sun Mountain Synch/TM Flextech Lite, Sun Mountain Micro

On 4/10/2020 at 9:29 AM, ballplayer002003 said:

Due to the Covid pandemic, my course has now taken away all golf carts, raised the cups and taken out flags on putting greens among other things.  I am just grateful they are still open.  The other day I was scrolling through Instagram and saw a quick humorous video of a man putting on greens with raised cups.  He was about 6' away and hit his putt pretty hard to get the ball to bounce off of the raised cup.  It hit the cup and he yells out "birdie!"  He does this again on another hole from about 25', takes a slapshot, and again the ball bounces off the cup and excitedly yells again, "Birdie, this could be a record round."

My question is this, with courses with raised cups, should we be posting scores now towards our handicap?  I mean I can see both sides of the coin here.  On one hand one can say if you hit the green you should be able to 2 putt so just give it a shot.  On the other hand, there are no lip outs now so speed does not matter.  You could hit your putt harder than usual to take out break.  If this is the case, won't handicaps this year be lower than they actually should be?  I know the USGA said scores are legit but, what are your thoughts on this? 

I would encourage that guy to post his "record round" because I'll be happy to take his money when we are actually playing by the rules again.  

• Like 5

• :ping-small: G400 Driver, 3 Fairway
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Irons - 18° & 21°
  • :Hogan: Ft. Worth Hi Utility Iron - 24°
  • :callaway-small: Forged Razr X 6-A Wedge irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 54° & 58°
  • :ping-small: Sigma2 Tyne Putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:NX7 Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Please understand, you are REQUIRED to post scores unless your club or state association has decided not to allow posting.  If you believe that a putt would have missed, you are supposed to use your best judgement in recording the Most Likely Score for handicap posting purposes.  I'm not trying to give anyone a hard time, but a system breaks down if each individual makes his own exceptions to the rules of that system.

I for some reason do not get notifications when someone responds to one of my postings. I haven’t been on in a couple of days so I had no idea there was such a back and forth concerning my independent decision not to post scores at this time.

Right or wrong I do not and have not played a single competitive tournament in my life. I have used my handicap to play with a group but that group doesn’t accept rounds played outside of that specific group. The groups secretary maintains everyone’s handicap using only the rounds played with the group. I only established a GHIN to monitor my progress as a golfer.

I agree, if I was playing competitive amateur tournaments utilizing the World Golf Handicap System then of course I would comply with the guidance published in regards to our current restrictions. I do not play in these type events so I’m not sure it even matters especially given my current handicap (see below).

IMG_3002.PNG.db7363482472f844a77f2f88888c05a2.PNG

The reason I don’t compete in these type events is because for me the bickering back and forth that takes place between the handful of overly competitive members makes it less than enjoyable for me. If you look back at postings I’ve made on MGS the common theme is enjoyment not judgement. Have I always been this way??? No! I’ve found, in my 55 years on this planet, that when I allow my competitive juices to flow my relationships and quit frankly enjoyment of the game suffer.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SteddyGolf said:

Right or wrong I do not and have not played a single competitive tournament in my life. I have used my handicap to play with a group but that group doesn’t accept rounds played outside of that specific group. The groups secretary maintains everyone’s handicap using only the rounds played with the group. I only established a GHIN to monitor my progress as a golfer.

I agree, if I was playing competitive amateur tournaments utilizing the World Golf Handicap System then of course I would comply with the guidance published in regards to our current restrictions. I do not play in these type events so I’m not sure it even matters especially given my current handicap (see below).

I've said it a couple of times (I think), I have no real problem with someone making his own decisions about posting, as long as he doesn't use his Handicap for competitive purposes.  For those of us who do compete, I believe its important that we all follow the same rules, both for playing and for handicap posting.  And I see that you agree with that viewpoint 😀  

My only question for you is why you would choose to pay for an official handicap when there are a number of free options that will do exactly the same thing for you?

And last, congratulations on your level of play, that's outstanding!

• Like 2

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I've said it a couple of times (I think), I have no real problem with someone making his own decisions about posting, as long as he doesn't use his Handicap for competitive purposes.  For those of us who do compete, I believe its important that we all follow the same rules, both for playing and for handicap posting.  And I see that you agree with that viewpoint   
My only question for you is why you would choose to pay for an official handicap when there are a number of free options that will do exactly the same thing for you?
And last, congratulations on your level of play, that's outstanding!

I pay for the handicap because it’s all part of my clubs membership package.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2