TESTERS WANTED! ×

MGS Ball Test 2.0: the Ball Lab

If you haven't already, check out [mention=30]Tony Covey MGS[/mention]'s post on the blog today about the new ball testing lab at the MGS HQ. The focus here isn't ball performance, but ball quality: which OEMs excel at making balls to their stated spec over and over again for predictable performance.
Obviously, last year's ball test had a huge impact on the industry, with Callaway recommitting to quality control on their balls. I can't wait to see what kind of results the guys in HQ find from even more quality testing.

Mannnnnnnnn, can’t wait to see which ball maker is surprised by the results of this one!!! Time to pop some popcorn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Very much looking forward to see the work that comes out of this.

I’m hoping to see that Callaway comes out with a higher degree of quality with everything we’ve been told in the past year.

I expect to see some issues for the D2C brands, but maybe we will be surprised!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Looking forward to the results of my ball.

D  :ping-small: G30

3W :Hogan: coming soon

5W :ping-small: G30

Irons :Hogan: Ptx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42,46 degrees

PW  :Hogan: TK 50 degree

SW :cleveland-small: Rotex 2.0 56 degree

LW :cleveland-small:  Rotex 2.0 60 degree

P    :ping-small:    Sigma G Anser

Ball 1 :taylormade-small: Tour Response    Ball 2 :Snell: Mtb-x

Bag 1 :Hogan: Mini Tour            Bag 2 :Hogan: Stand

This is awesome testing! @Tony Covey MGS how did you settle on 3 dozen golf balls as the standard number? And will you be testing different batches of the same ball, or buying three dozen from a retailer and testing them all? 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

I think this will be most interesting. I don't pay much attention to club testing because; One -  I'm not in the market for any golf clubs and; just because someone likes a particular club doesn't mean I will too. I think most clubs - irons particularly are fairly consistently made. (although, my irons heads were each hand selected for weight and quality of forging/casting/finishing) I do think sawing open some drivers and fairway woods could be interesting. Are the faces of these clubs as advertised? Can this even be done correctly? I don't know. But, the reason I'll be interested in this ball testing/examination of quality & construction is... because I play several balls from different mfgs. All urethane covered. Some are retail products and others are DTC brands. I've repeatedly claimed that I can play my best or worst rounds with any of them and on any given day. However, and depending on the results of these tests/examinations I could see myself singing a different tune. We shall see.

Also: Throw in a variety of range balls for this testing. Wilson, Srixon, etc. And some PV1 Practice balls for good measure. I'm interested in these types because we're about to make a rather large purchase later this summer for our range. Besides my own self interest I think we should know as there's more of these hit each day than any retail or DTC ball.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Super excited to see the results of this. All of the ball tests in the world don't matter if you aren't going to get the same performance out of the dozen that you buy at the store. 

I'd like to see a larger selection of balls tested as well instead of just the Tour balls like last years. It seems like most of the changes to the balls are incremental year to year anyway so if the budget allows for it, maybe they can be tested in alternating years? Tour balls one year and then maybe the next step down the following year?  I'd also love to see the comparison between the two categories to see exactly how much more performance the average golfer really gets by spending $48/dz vs. $35.

4 hours ago, B.Boston said:

Very much looking forward to see the work that comes out of this.

I’m hoping to see that Callaway comes out with a higher degree of quality with everything we’ve been told in the past year.

I expect to see some issues for the D2C brands, but maybe we will be surprised!

I'm interested to see what the D2C brands do as well. I'm sure some will have issues, but I'm hoping the majority do not. QA/QC is really an issue that has nothing to do with being a brand name or not, but more to do with how they select their manufacturing facility how much time and money they want to dedicate to producing a consistent product.  Hopefully some of that money they save on marketing/advertising makes it's way back into higher quality facilities and better standards for production.

Interesting to see some believe this may expose some D2C brands. Snell and OnCore were among the top performing balls last year.

I’d expect to see Cut and Callaway both improve and not much change among some of the leaders.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I'm interested to see what the D2C brands do as well. I'm sure some will have issues, but I'm hoping the majority do not. QA/QC is really an issue that has nothing to do with being a brand name or not, but more to do with how they select their manufacturing facility how much time and money they want to dedicate to producing a consistent product.  Hopefully some of that money they save on marketing/advertising makes it's way back into higher quality facilities and better standards for production.

I forget which one of the ball articles it was, but a large number of these D2C companies are really using the same generic ball vendor from overseas.

If you think about it, they are really just a marketing company that puts those logo and story on a ball they don’t actually produce or own any of the IP, Design, or Manufacturing.

Not ALL of them are like this, but besides Snell, who owns a lot of IP in the space, I’m not really sure who owns any bit of the design besides the logo.

If they all order from the same factory it will be interesting to see if there are consistency differences between a high volume vs low volume D2C.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

20 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

I forget which one of the ball articles it was, but a large number of these D2C companies are really using the same generic ball vendor from overseas.

If you think about it, they are really just a marketing company that puts those logo and story on a ball they don’t actually produce or own any of the IP, Design, or Manufacturing.

Not ALL of them are like this, but besides Snell, who owns a lot of IP in the space, I’m not really sure who owns any bit of the design besides the logo.

If they all order from the same factory it will be interesting to see if there are consistency differences between a high volume vs low volume D2C.

From that standpoint it would definitely be interesting then.  Once they start measuring & cutting open a bunch of these we will probably be able to tell which of these companies are ordering the same product from the same factory. Knowing that company x, y & z are all selling the exact same product would be good to know especially since they are probably all charging different amounts....

From that standpoint it would definitely be interesting then.  Once they start measuring & cutting open a bunch of these we will probably be able to tell which of these companies are ordering the same product from the same factory. Knowing that company x, y & z are all selling the exact same product would be good to know especially since they are probably all charging different amounts....

Here’s a screen shot of an IG video they did... it was part of the NPG podcasts, but I think they had a regular article too. all three of these appear to be the same ball:

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIMG_9125.png

Any idea when results are to be posted? I perused the article but didn’t notice that. Looking forward to the comparisons and rankings.

Also looking forward to how you will measure external looks of a ball if possible as well as individual preferences of a ball.

On 4/10/2020 at 6:52 AM, GolfSpy MPR said:

If you haven't already, check out @Tony Covey MGS's post on the blog today about the new ball testing lab at the MGS HQ. The focus here isn't ball performance, but ball quality: which OEMs excel at making balls to their stated spec over and over again for predictable performance.

Obviously, last year's ball test had a huge impact on the industry, with Callaway recommitting to quality control on their balls. I can't wait to see what kind of results the guys in HQ find from even more quality testing.

So awesome that MGS keeps pushing boundaries and pulling the curtain back more and more. An educated consumer is a dangerous consumer. Love it!!

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Bridgestone and Titleist #1 and #2... Who would get #3?

I'd be tipping Srixon.

:cobra-small: LTDx LS 9*D,  HZRDUS Green HC 60g 6.0, 45" 4g + 12g weight 
:cobra-small: King LTD @ 14.5* HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 42.5"
:cobra-small: King LTD  @ 17.5*, HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 4
0.5"/ :cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 2 @ 17*, Ventus Black 10x, 39.25"

:cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 4 OL @ 20* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
wishon.png.f487cdf69e368c89461d72fa6fc7bbe4.pngEQ1-NX OL 5i-PW Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36
"

Cobra SBOL 48*, 52*, 56* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
OIP.jpg.04da427c8e36dc0d247492fdfa8569f6.jpgC-Series DW Armlock

Vice Pro Plus

I can't wait to see the results from the MGS Golf Ball Lab as the next round of the MGS Golf Ball Test is done.  It will certainly be interesting to see:  1.) If any of the manufacturers (are you listening, Callaway?) get their acts together after what was uncovered in last year's ball test,  and 2.) What shows up in terms of rounness (or out-of-roundness), balance, consistency in construction, etc. now that there is an entire battery of new high-tech golf ball measurement equipment in use in MGS's ball testing.

Great job, Tony and the rest of the MGS staff; keep it up!

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

I am keenly interested in this test as golf ball manufacturers are always bringing out new balls almost as fast as new clubs but are there really any major changes. Maybe in Callaways situation as they had issues last year with qc, the tests will tell the story...cannot wait.

:taylormade-small: M5 9° Driver Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3 Wood VA Raijin 74 Four

:taylormade-small: SIM Max 5 Wood  Fuji Ventus Blue 6 Stiff

:honma: 19° 3 Hybrid Patterson Balistic Hut30

:honma: TW-X Irons Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S

:honma:TW Wedges 54°/60° Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S

:odyssey-small: EXO Putter

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to see a new box of ProV1 2019 vs ProV1 2017 vs ProV1 2015 in the lab tests and the same for Chrome Softs and TP5's, etc.

DRIVER: PXG Proto 0811 X - Graphite Design Tour AD GP7x +1/2"

3W: Taylormade SIM Rocket - Graphite Design Tour AD GP6s

HYBRID: PXG 0317X 17* - PX HC Hzrdus Black 6.5 (shelved)

IRONS: PXG Gen 3 0311T 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1" | PXG Gen 2 0311P 3-4 - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1"

WEDGES: PXG Forged 54, PXG Sugar Daddy 58 - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1"

PUTTER: Taylormade MySpider X - 36.00" 3* Loft 71* Lie

9 hours ago, Tsecor said:

when do the results come out? if Calloway struggles in this test again.....they may drop out of the ball making business

Based on Tony’s blog post, it appears that this new ball lab initiative is going to be limited to physical measurements of the actual ball, not robotic swing testing. Due to the fact that MGS does not have the equipment to support a robotic swing test at their own facility along with the current public health situation and the fact that only a few companies have released new urethane models for 2020 thus far, it may be a while before we see a follow up to last year’s buyers guide.

Also, based on their IP investment over the past 20+ years it is unlikely that Callaway would ever stop selling balls (regardless of the influence people may think that a single 3rd party test has).

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

14 hours ago, storm319 said:

Based on Tony’s blog post, it appears that this new ball lab initiative is going to be limited to physical measurements of the actual ball, not robotic swing testing. Due to the fact that MGS does not have the equipment to support a robotic swing test at their own facility along with the current public health situation and the fact that only a few companies have released new urethane models for 2020 thus far, it may be a while before we see a follow up to last year’s buyers guide.

Also, based on their IP investment over the past 20+ years it is unlikely that Callaway would ever stop selling balls (regardless of the influence people may think that a single 3rd party test has).

I understand the testing.....a lot of balls have already been released but you can use last years models to test quality if you want.   The callaway comment was in jest

Golf is cool

38 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

I understand the testing.....a lot of balls have already been released but you can use last years models to test quality if you want.   The callaway comment was in jest

The Chrome soft X is still not available... Now part of that is due to the factory being closed. I am curious if we will see it before the end of the summer. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

On 4/10/2020 at 9:56 AM, PMookie said:

Mannnnnnnnn, can’t wait to see which ball maker is surprised by the results of this one!!! Time to pop some popcorn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Golf Ball Guts' recent post on Instagram might just provide a little sneak peak of what we may see over the coming weeks/months

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

The results of the mid range balls is what interests me. Namely the Taylormade tour response (project a) and Qstar tour balls. Will be interesting to see if there's differences in quality between them and the top of the line tour balls.

4 hours ago, 2puttbogey said:

The results of the mid range balls is what interests me. Namely the Taylormade tour response (project a) and Qstar tour balls. Will be interesting to see if there's differences in quality between them and the top of the line tour balls.

Did they say that they would be testing mid range balls? In the past, they have mentioned that they don't test mid-range balls for the ball test because no one should be playing a mid range ball. Basically, if you only want to spend $35/ dozen, then you're better off using one of the tour level balls that sells at that price rather than a non-urethane cover mid range titleist or TM ball.

Personally, I'm not certain that is true.  In my mind I could see a scenario where a $35 DTC tour ball doesn't perform any better than some mid range ball from someone else, especially when you add in the quality issues discovered this year. 

Edited by ChitownM2

On 5/1/2020 at 1:08 PM, LakeCowboy said:

I'd love to see a new box of ProV1 2019 vs ProV1 2017 vs ProV1 2015 in the lab tests and the same for Chrome Softs and TP5's, etc.

Yes. Love this too to see if they really change things all that much

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

2 hours ago, ChitownM2 said:

Did they say that they would be testing mid range balls? In the past, they have mentioned that they don't test mid-range balls for the ball test because no one should be playing a mid range ball. Basically, if you only want to spend $35/ dozen, then you're better off using one of the tour level balls that sells at that price rather than a non-urethane cover mid range titleist or TM ball.

Personally, I'm not certain that is true.  In my mind I could see a scenario where a $35 DTC tour ball doesn't perform any better than some mid range ball from someone else, especially when you add in the quality issues discovered this year. 

I believe @2puttbogey was using mid range as a reference to lower priced urethane offerings, not ionomer. 

I also believe that the MGS comments were more of a reference to cover material rather than price (especially considering the fact that the Kirkland 3-piece ball was included). The only exceptions really were the Titleist Tour Soft and Callaway ERC Soft that were likely only included due to the fact that they are very overpriced (my guess is that they would not have been included if they had been priced under $30). 

Relative to past construction paradigms, the solid multilayer era have a relatively small variance in spin, launch, and ball speed off the tee (larger variances in spin will be seen on lower speed shots which is where the cover has the primary impact).

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

13 hours ago, storm319 said:

I believe @2puttbogey was using mid range as a reference to lower priced urethane offerings, not ionomer. 

I also believe that the MGS comments were more of a reference to cover material rather than price (especially considering the fact that the Kirkland 3-piece ball was included). The only exceptions really were the Titleist Tour Soft and Callaway ERC Soft that were likely only included due to the fact that they are very overpriced (my guess is that they would not have been included if they had been priced under $30). 

Relative to past construction paradigms, the solid multilayer era have a relatively small variance in spin, launch, and ball speed off the tee (larger variances in spin will be seen on lower speed shots which is where the cover has the primary impact).

This is correct. I was referring to urethane cover balls.

While we don't know exactly what is being tested,  Some of Tony's twitter posts seem to provide indication that no ball is exempt from being tested.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG