GolfSpy MPR

MGS Ball Test 2.0: the Ball Lab

Our Sponsors

14 hours ago, storm319 said:

Based on Tony’s blog post, it appears that this new ball lab initiative is going to be limited to physical measurements of the actual ball, not robotic swing testing. Due to the fact that MGS does not have the equipment to support a robotic swing test at their own facility along with the current public health situation and the fact that only a few companies have released new urethane models for 2020 thus far, it may be a while before we see a follow up to last year’s buyers guide.

Also, based on their IP investment over the past 20+ years it is unlikely that Callaway would ever stop selling balls (regardless of the influence people may think that a single 3rd party test has).

I understand the testing.....a lot of balls have already been released but you can use last years models to test quality if you want.   The callaway comment was in jest

38 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

I understand the testing.....a lot of balls have already been released but you can use last years models to test quality if you want.   The callaway comment was in jest

The Chrome soft X is still not available... Now part of that is due to the factory being closed. I am curious if we will see it before the end of the summer. 

• Like 1

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

On 4/10/2020 at 9:56 AM, PMookie said:

Mannnnnnnnn, can’t wait to see which ball maker is surprised by the results of this one!!! Time to pop some popcorn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Golf Ball Guts' recent post on Instagram might just provide a little sneak peak of what we may see over the coming weeks/months

• Like 1

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:cobra-small: F9 TL, Atmos TS Blue
:nike-small: Vapor Fly 3, Diamana Blue, Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:bridgestone-small: BXS

Romans 10:9

The results of the mid range balls is what interests me. Namely the Taylormade tour response (project a) and Qstar tour balls. Will be interesting to see if there's differences in quality between them and the top of the line tour balls.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, 2puttbogey said:

The results of the mid range balls is what interests me. Namely the Taylormade tour response (project a) and Qstar tour balls. Will be interesting to see if there's differences in quality between them and the top of the line tour balls.

Did they say that they would be testing mid range balls? In the past, they have mentioned that they don't test mid-range balls for the ball test because no one should be playing a mid range ball. Basically, if you only want to spend $35/ dozen, then you're better off using one of the tour level balls that sells at that price rather than a non-urethane cover mid range titleist or TM ball.

Personally, I'm not certain that is true.  In my mind I could see a scenario where a $35 DTC tour ball doesn't perform any better than some mid range ball from someone else, especially when you add in the quality issues discovered this year. 

Edited by ChitownM2
  • Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 1:08 PM, LakeCowboy said:

I'd love to see a new box of ProV1 2019 vs ProV1 2017 vs ProV1 2015 in the lab tests and the same for Chrome Softs and TP5's, etc.

Yes. Love this too to see if they really change things all that much

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue

3 Wood: :adams-small: Insight BUL Stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

52 Deg:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0

56 deg: :cleveland-small: Reg 588 tour action

60 Deg: :cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0

Putter:bettinardi-small: Studio Stock #3 (Winn 1.32 Pro x grip)

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

2 hours ago, ChitownM2 said:

Did they say that they would be testing mid range balls? In the past, they have mentioned that they don't test mid-range balls for the ball test because no one should be playing a mid range ball. Basically, if you only want to spend $35/ dozen, then you're better off using one of the tour level balls that sells at that price rather than a non-urethane cover mid range titleist or TM ball.

Personally, I'm not certain that is true.  In my mind I could see a scenario where a $35 DTC tour ball doesn't perform any better than some mid range ball from someone else, especially when you add in the quality issues discovered this year. 

I believe @2puttbogey was using mid range as a reference to lower priced urethane offerings, not ionomer. 

I also believe that the MGS comments were more of a reference to cover material rather than price (especially considering the fact that the Kirkland 3-piece ball was included). The only exceptions really were the Titleist Tour Soft and Callaway ERC Soft that were likely only included due to the fact that they are very overpriced (my guess is that they would not have been included if they had been priced under $30). 

Relative to past construction paradigms, the solid multilayer era have a relatively small variance in spin, launch, and ball speed off the tee (larger variances in spin will be seen on lower speed shots which is where the cover has the primary impact).

• Like 1

:titelist-small:  915D3 9.5* | Aldila RIP a 60

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5* | Aldila Voodoo FW

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-P | Rifle FCM

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 | 50.08F | 56.10S

:ping-small:  iWi D66

13 hours ago, storm319 said:

I believe @2puttbogey was using mid range as a reference to lower priced urethane offerings, not ionomer. 

I also believe that the MGS comments were more of a reference to cover material rather than price (especially considering the fact that the Kirkland 3-piece ball was included). The only exceptions really were the Titleist Tour Soft and Callaway ERC Soft that were likely only included due to the fact that they are very overpriced (my guess is that they would not have been included if they had been priced under $30). 

Relative to past construction paradigms, the solid multilayer era have a relatively small variance in spin, launch, and ball speed off the tee (larger variances in spin will be seen on lower speed shots which is where the cover has the primary impact).

This is correct. I was referring to urethane cover balls.

While we don't know exactly what is being tested,  Some of Tony's twitter posts seem to provide indication that no ball is exempt from being tested.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

This was great, all of the ball test that Tony has done is amazing. The conclusion I came up with I don't think there is anyone that loves testing golf balls more then Tony. 

• Like 1

:ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway Wood 5  :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:taylormade-small: 3 Rescue Hybrid

:ping-small:  4 G Crossover

:cobra-small: F8 Single Length Irons 5-GW OBAN CT-100 shafts 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter

:Arccos: All clubs use Arccos 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

Are Harry and Miranda an item????

I would say no since they are married. I only think of being an item prior to being married.
  • Like 3

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I would say no since they are married. I only think of being an item prior to being married.

lol..i had no idea.....so they are an item!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

lol..i had no idea.....so they are an item!!!

I would say that is as official as it gets. 

• Like 1

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

After listening to the latest edition of NO PUTTS, it seems as if Callaway is once again off to a bad start with the new ball.......we'll see how it pans out in relation to the other major brands

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tsecor said:

Are Harry and Miranda an item????

Go back one more episode of NPG.  Miranda's response to Harry being in the studio to get a break from being stuck at home with his wife sound like she's friends with Harry's wife.  

• Like 2

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

9 minutes ago, AmishJason said:

Go back one more episode of NPG.  Miranda's response to Harry being in the studio to get a break from being stuck at home with his wife sound like she's friends with Harry's wife.  

I'm pretty sure they are married.

• Like 1

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.5* (Ventus Black 6X) 45"

:taylormade-small:             M5 15* (Ventus Black 7x) 43"

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* (Tensei AV Blue 70 X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-AW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

From the last No Putts Given episode they wanted people to send in suggestions. If they are going to publish any sorts of tables etc. it should also have an option for metric measurements.

:cobra-small:            Cobra F9 10.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

:srixon-small:                     H85 16° and 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

:mizuno-small:                    MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

:mizuno-small:                    T20 51°, 8° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

:mizuno-small:                    T20 55°, 9° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

:mizuno-small:                    T20 59°, 9° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

:yes-small:                         Tracy 33"

:bridgestone-small:      Tour BX

5 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I'm pretty sure they are married.

Yes,  they are married.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Yes,  they are married.

Yup. They posted it all over social media last year so not really a big secret though they are oddly discreet about it on the podcast 

• Like 1

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST Ping 9* LST VA Nemesys 65FIVE
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* VA Vylyn 75FIVE
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49 F - 54 S - 59 D
:mizuno-small: M Craft II
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH