Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Thoughts on Regular 4 Iron vs Utility 4 Iron

Hi All, Hope you all are safe and healthy during this pandemic! Once this is all over I am looking into getting a new set of irons and am looking into the direct to consumer model. I was wondering what your thoughts are on getting a 5-PW set of irons and adding a 4 utility iron versus a regular 4 iron. I have always struggled hitting the long iron as I just can never seem to launch it high enough in the air to hold greens and have a tendency to push it a little right. The 4 utility iron seems as if it would be easier to hit and launch a little higher.

Would it be overkill to get a 4 utility iron and then also get a 3 hybrid? Appreciate the responses.

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

On 4/10/2020 at 10:53 AM, cciciora13 said:

Hi All, Hope you all are safe and healthy during this pandemic! Once this is all over I am looking into getting a new set of irons and am looking into the direct to consumer model. I was wondering what your thoughts are on getting a 5-PW set of irons and adding a 4 utility iron versus a regular 4 iron. I have always struggled hitting the long iron as I just can never seem to launch it high enough in the air to hold greens and have a tendency to push it a little right. The 4 utility iron seems as if it would be easier to hit and launch a little higher.

Would it be overkill to get a 4 utility iron and then also get a 3 hybrid? Appreciate the responses.

I'm in the same place as you right now. I've always been a pretty low ball flight player and have struggled getting a good, consistent ball flight on my longer irons. I just picked up a used set of Apex CF16s 5-PW. I have been weighing options for the next club in my bag. I have a 16.5 degree fairway wood. I have hit utility 4 and Hybrid 4 and definitely get a better distance gap with the Utility but a better flight with the Hybrid (however it is a bit long for my gapping needs). I haven't found a utility iron that I hit as consistently well as the hybrids I've tried. I've thought about trying a Super GI iron in the 4 to see if that gives me a better launch. Long story short, I'm having the same issue and would love some input from other folks as well, I think it's just going to take some experimentation. Let me know what you end up doing!

WITB

Driver: Ping G30 10.5 Stiff

Fairway wood: Titleist 917F2 16.5 Stiff 

Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 Steel Fiber i95 Stiff (5-PW)

Wedges: Vokey 52, 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

A utility iron will be easier to hit than a similar iron number in a players type club other than a players distance iron. There’s lots of ways to go at that spot in the bag but it’s more than just the number on the bottom. Finding a players distance iron, gi or sgi are options as well. The key like anything in bag makeup is finding the right shaft, loft, etc that fits that gap between where you stop your set and into the next club in your bag after that

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

It’s really up to your swing and ability. I still play a traditional muscle back 4i, but I have a high ball flight and swing speed. I don’t like the look of hybrids or utility irons either. but I know tons of guys on the course that prefer not to ever look at a 4i again.  The only way to tell what fits your game is to hit a few and find a club that goes the distance you want, inspires confidence, and feels good when you swing it. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

For some reason I really struggle with a utility club. I bought one last year and just couldn’t hit it with any consistency. I much prefer my 4i which is a blade but does have a Regular Flex AMT shaft.

I can give you a good deal on a Srixon Utility ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

21 minutes ago, SteddyGolf said:

For some reason I really struggle with a utility club. I bought one last year and just couldn’t hit it with any consistency. I much prefer my 4i which is a blade but does have a Regular Flex AMT shaft.

I can give you a good deal on a Srixon Utility 😉

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Faster swing speeds are usually best for a utility. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

If you are trying to fill a 4 iron gap, I'd consider a 5 Utility and don't be afraid to throw a steel shaft in it.  

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :cobra-small: :touredgeexotics: :cleveland-small: :PXG:               

Cobra SpeedZone 9*
TourEdge EXS 18* 
TourEdge C721 22*H
PXG 0211 DC 6-P + G
Cleveland Zipcore Full Face 52/58*
Wilson Staff Infinite Michigan Ave
Taylormade Tour Response

8 minutes ago, Erik-M said:

You know what's funny about this thread? It used to be, 3 iron or hybrid. Now we're talking about 4 iron or hybrid. Funny how times change263182024_Image(1).thumb.jpg.2303ee116d3d226e5258da2579b10fe2.jpg

I know a couple high swing speed players that look at hybrid in 5i. It’s about what people are comfortable with. 

Yeah I agree, golf is much more specific to each individual then it ever was. I'm fully about whatever works.  I've tried my fair share of hybrid of many shapes and kinds.  And as much as I feel I couldn't and wouldn't game one, I realize that it's the same for a person who prefers utility clubs over long irons. 

At 52, I decided to go the 5-PW route with my new Callaway Apex 19 irons. I chose a 4 hybrid (Callaway Great Big Bertha) and dont regret it. I get higher trajectory with the hybrid than I ever got with a long iron.

Callaway Mavrik driver, Apex 19 irons and Cleveland RTX-4 wedges.

My last couple “good 4 irons” landed on the green and Stopped on the back fringe or rough.

i am not getting any younger or faster; so it is Utility time 🤢

WITB:

Driver:  Taylormade  SLDR Fujikura XLR8 61 S RH.   

3 Wood: TaylorMade RBZ 3W

Hybrid: Ping G400 3 Hyb 19 degree S

Irons: Titleist 710 AP1 5-PW Aerotek Steelfiber i110 cw S RH standard lie 

Wedges: 50 Callaway MD 4, 54 Vokey SM5, 58 Callaway Forged

Putters: Ping Grayhawk Putter