TESTERS WANTED! ×

Can I fix this?

I just had my irons re-shafted with steelfiber shafts. They did such a good job the 6 iron head detached. Is this a DIY project with stuff I can get at a DIY store like Lowe’s?

If so what do I need and how do I do it?

IMG_1108.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Who did the job? If it’s local I’d go back. Regardless, I’d offer feedback.

Yes, you can do it yourself. I’ve done plenty with epoxy from Home Depot without issue.

You’ll need to drill out the hosel to remove the dried epoxy, sand down and re-prep the shaft tip and drill out any epoxy at the tip of the shaft.

There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube. It may seem intimidating but the difficult part is done. Again, contact the person who did it first and see what options they offer.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Who did the job? If it’s local I’d go back. Regardless, I’d offer feedback.

Yes, you can do it yourself. I’ve done plenty with epoxy from Home Depot without issue.

You’ll need to drill out the hosel to remove the dried epoxy, sand down and re-prep the shaft tip and drill out any epoxy at the tip of the shaft.

There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube. It may seem intimidating but the difficult part is done. Again, contact the person who did it first and see what options they offer.

Thanks, I may give it a try. The place that did it is closed because it is non essential.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Should be able to do at home with some supplies from Home Depot. Search McCustom Golf on YouTube. Jim does a great job of showing how to repair this step by step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Contact the guy.  While his business may be closed, I'd be shocked if he wasn't taking clubs in for repair.  If I did this work, I'd repair it no charge.  

I’ve left a couple of messages and no response. Their website says they are only open for custom fittings so if they wanted to help I’m sure they’d call me back since they are there for the fitting. Top 100 fitter my ass.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

The key to getting a good bond is making sure both shaft and hosel are clean. Super clean. You can't get too clean. I use a wire brush (like a rifle bore brush) in a drill to mechanically remove material and roughen the surface of the hosel. Sandpaper shaft to do the same - but that looks like graphite so be careful about getting aggressive if you're sanding perpendicular to graphite fibers. You can get more aggressive with steel shafts and need to in order to get epoxy to properly bond. 

I don't know how you're going to clean the epoxy from the ferrule. Perhaps you can pick away enough with a fine sharp tool (awl?) to prevent interference when re-installing the shaft. I generally remove the ferrule and install a new one - but you may not have the tools to do that. 

Then clean both shaft and hosel with solvent or paint thinner, followed by a wipe with acetone. I use Q-Tips in hosel. Don't use quick set or 5 minute epoxy. Use regular epoxy, perhaps something like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/J-B-Weld-Two-1-oz-Twin-Tube-Cold-Weld-8265-s/100189012 mixed according to directions. You won't need a lot. Mix it throughly on a piece of paper or cardboard, then roll the shaft in the epoxy to get a thin layer. I usually insert the shaft, twisting as I insert it, then remove, wipe some of the epoxy back down on the shaft, then insert again. Rotate to get desired alignment of grip with head. Wipe excess epoxy off with a cloth. You may need solvent or paint thinner to get it clean. You can use acetone, but it will melt most ferrules so be cautious if you use that.

Set the club aside in a vertical position to allow the epoxy to set. Check it after a few minutes to make sure things haven't shifted but, other than that, don't touch it for 24 hours.

16 hours ago, Wedgie said:

I’ve left a couple of messages and no response. Their website says they are only open for custom fittings so if they wanted to help I’m sure they’d call me back since they are there for the fitting. Top 100 fitter my ass.

That top stuff is all bought.  As with most things, referrals win the day. 

2 hours ago, cycleguy55 said:

I don't know how you're going to clean the epoxy from the ferrule. Perhaps you can pick away enough with a fine sharp tool (awl?) to prevent interference when re-installing the shaft. I generally remove the ferrule and install a new one - but you may not have the tools to do that. 

Re the ferrule, you might be able to slide it off the shaft by heating it with a hair dryer. If you get it off, keep it heated with a hair dryer to keep the epoxy soft and then you might be able to use a wire brush or roll of sandpaper gently to remove some of the epoxy. Then slide the ferrule back onto the shaft for reuse.

I would not use a heat gun for this part as it could get too hot and melt the ferrule. Just my suggestions.

My Weapons of Grass Destruction 🏌️‍♂️

:titelist-small: TS2 10.5* Hzrdus Smoke S

:titelist-small: 917F2 15* Diamana Blue 70 S

:titelist-small: 818H1 19* Evenflow Blue 85HY S

:titelist-small: 716 AP2 4-P AMT White S300

:vokey-small: SM7 50.12 F bent 1* weak, SM7 56.14 F, SM7 60.08 M - S200

:odyssey-small: Black Series 3

RH - Ontario 🇨🇦 and Ohio 🇺🇸

Avg. score 85-92

... I have never seen something like this, but it looks like the outer part of the Steelfiber is still in the hosel and you are left with the interior of the shaft. Hard to tell from the photo but if that is the case there isn't anything you can do at this point. If I am correct, this has nothing to do with the install and is just a case of a defective shaft. Either way it should be replaced at no charge. The only problem might be if this is a knock off Steelfiber shaft. This is how a Steelfiber prepped tip should look:

265303753_Steelfiber.thumb.JPG.03ea82d0606f4aea43d58f823153bb95.JPG

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

That's terrible. But it can happen. Since they are open for custom fittings I'd insist they open for your custom shaft repair. Why do it yourself since you've already paid them to do a job for you in the first place. I'd want them to see it anyway.

Good luck with the repair.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

... I have never seen something like this, but it looks like the outer part of the Steelfiber is still in the hosel and you are left with the interior of the shaft. Hard to tell from the photo but if that is the case there isn't anything you can do at this point. If I am correct, this has nothing to do with the install and is just a case of a defective shaft. Either way it should be replaced at no charge. The only problem might be if this is a knock off Steelfiber shaft. This is how a Steelfiber prepped tip should look:

265303753_Steelfiber.thumb.JPG.03ea82d0606f4aea43d58f823153bb95.JPG

It better not be a knock-off or I’ll go sleep over there until they show up. This wasn’t a cheap reshaft job. My phone camera stinks but do these pics validate the shafts?

IMG_1110.JPG
IMG_1111.JPG
IMG_1112.JPG

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

... Wedgie I have never heard of a Steelfiber knock off but threw that out there just in case as it happens more and more. Your i80 certainly looks liker the real deal and perhaps the lighting in the first picture just made it look different than my picture and your follow up picture. But this is an issue for the club builder and I would not try and fix it yourself, just in case it is a bad shaft. The only other option is a faulty install. Good luck! 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I think I better leave this to a pro. I don’t want to kill someone when the head flies off.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

39 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

I think I better leave this to a pro. I don’t want to kill someone when the head flies off.

And possibly invalidate any warranty the builder or shaft company might offer.  Let’s say you do fix it, (and I’d never suggest Home Depot epoxy or JB WELD), and that fix doesn’t work or the head comes off again.  Then what.  And if you show up at the builder to fix it after you used JB Weld I’d bet they’d tell you no way.

Woods:  :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max LS 9*,  Ventus Blue 6S / :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S  

Irons: :Takomo: Takomo IRON 101 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX ZipCore 48*, Accra T90i, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: :EVNROLL: ER1.2, 355g, :kbs: Tour GPS, 33" w/
image.png.709cedef1b6b981263b7fb0d3abefd71.png Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: :nike-small: '20 Air Hybrid 2 / :Clicgear: 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2, Swivel kit
Accessories: :Arccos: 360 /  Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized 

I play the exact same shafts in my irons. Looks the same to me.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

21 hours ago, Siamese Moose said:

Did you pay by credit card? If so, dispute the charge ASAP. They'll call you back.

I agree, that will get his attention and probably a call back!🥵

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

On 4/11/2020 at 4:22 PM, Wedgie said:

I just had my irons re-shafted with steelfiber shafts. They did such a good job the 6 iron head detached. Is this a DIY project with stuff I can get at a DIY store like Lowe’s?

If so what do I need and how do I do it?

IMG_1108.JPG

This picture doesn't look like the same shaft in your below picture. I see a cracked shaft in this picture and an OK shaft below. What's the white plug I see swing weight or the Ole I bought the wrong shaft size adapter trick?

10Shot

23 hours ago, dbdors said:

And possibly invalidate any warranty the builder or shaft company might offer.  Let’s say you do fix it, (and I’d never suggest Home Depot epoxy or JB WELD), and that fix doesn’t work or the head comes off again.  Then what.  And if you show up at the builder to fix it after you used JB Weld I’d bet they’d tell you no way.

I only recommended that as OP indicated he was going to HD. My preference would always be shafting epoxy which, of course, isn't that hard to track down. I get most of my supplies from https://www.golfworks.ca/ or, in USA, https://www.golfworks.com/ 

5 hours ago, cycleguy55 said:

I only recommended that as OP indicated he was going to HD. My preference would always be shafting epoxy which, of course, isn't that hard to track down. I get most of my supplies from https://www.golfworks.ca/ or, in USA, https://www.golfworks.com/ 

Or some Brampton

Woods:  :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max LS 9*,  Ventus Blue 6S / :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S  

Irons: :Takomo: Takomo IRON 101 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX ZipCore 48*, Accra T90i, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: :EVNROLL: ER1.2, 355g, :kbs: Tour GPS, 33" w/
image.png.709cedef1b6b981263b7fb0d3abefd71.png Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: :nike-small: '20 Air Hybrid 2 / :Clicgear: 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2, Swivel kit
Accessories: :Arccos: 360 /  Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized 

On 4/13/2020 at 7:14 PM, dbdors said:

Or some Brampton

That will certainly work.

I see somebody has listed some GolfWorks products on both Amazon.ca and Amazon.com - but there's something seriously wrong with their prices. Amazon.ca has a 2-tube 50 ml epoxy syringe for $115 CAD - but at least it has free shipping. LOL