Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

PSA - For your own sake, please don't...

1 hour ago, Micah T said:

1) Guys playing the wrong tees: dudes always want to play the tips but if your driver doesn’t carry 275 what are you doing back there?

2) People screaming for near misses: save your screams/yells for hole-outs: I’m teeing off 20 yards from you when your group erupts due to someone scaring the hole...

3) Not being ready to hit when it’s your turn

4) taking too much time to put: there better be at least $100 on this putt that you’ve backed off4 times while I wait in the fairway..

I do listen to music while I play, but always on headphones, and not so loud that I can’t converse with my playing partners.

Ok did I see that correctly in your equipment list? You carry 5 wedges?---- 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

1 minute ago, BIG STU said:

Ok did I see that correctly in your equipment list? You carry 5 wedges?---- 

I do: I like being able to make full swings 160 -90 yards in. I think I’m in the minority, but I’m in favor or another club in my bag that you almost always hit well as opposed to a club that I struggle with(3wood) that’s about as long as my 3 iron...

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

5 minutes ago, Micah T said:

I do: I like being able to make full swings 160 -90 yards in. I think I’m in the minority, but I’m in favor or another club in my bag that you almost always hit well as opposed to a club that I struggle with(3wood) that’s about as long as my 3 iron...

Ok cool by me--- I always say play what fits your game because there is no etched in stone proper way to play this game and that goes for equipment as well as the set up one has in their bag. I was curious as I read that and asked to make certain I was reading it correctly. You know I am getting older and have senior moments. And really if I was as long a you with a 3 iron I would not worry with a 3 wood if you can not hit or control it. I can still hit a blade 3 iron at 63 years of age but it only goes about 200 or so on a good day and about head high at that. Actually back in the day when I was young and strong in the summer I only carried a little old Northwestern 6 wood for a fairway but I could hit a variety of shots with it. I did carry a 1 iron and could also hit my 10.5* Power Bilt driver off the deck. 

Edited by BIG STU

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

1) Guys playing the wrong tees: dudes always want to play the tips but if your driver doesn’t carry 275 what are you doing back there?
2) People screaming for near misses: save your screams/yells for hole-outs: I’m teeing off 20 yards from you when your group erupts due to someone scaring the hole...
3) Not being ready to hit when it’s your turn
4) taking too much time to put: there better be at least $100 on this putt that you’ve backed off4 times while I wait in the fairway..
I do listen to music while I play, but always on headphones, and not so loud that I can’t converse with my playing partners.

I agree, and I'd like to add to point 1 because there's more to hitting it long to be playing the tips. I've played with plenty of guys that can hit it 300, but can't break 90. Sure you smoked a drive, but a chunked iron, bladed chip, and 3 putt later you still made 6 or 7. That took more time than being unable to carry the water and hitting 3. If you don't got game move up son.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

3 minutes ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

I agree, and I'd like to add to point 1 because there's more to hitting it long to be playing the tips. I've played with plenty of guys that can hit it 300, but can't break 90. Sure you smoked a drive, but a chunked iron, bladed chip, and 3 putt later you still made 6 or 7. That took more time than being unable to carry the water and hitting 3. If you don't got game move up son.

Take Dead Aim

Yeah I know lots of guys like that-------    one happens to be my partner in the weekly shootout.  Another guy I play with some that works at the course is the same way hits his 3 hybrid further than I do my driver and out drives me 100 yards with his 3 wood. He is wilder with the driver worse than I was in my young days. And to give him credit he does hit the hybrid and 3 wood pretty straight but that is it.

G

2 minutes ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

Take Dead Aim

Agreed: having a minimum 250 carry is the first of a few requirements:  if you don’t usually break 80 you’re doing yourself no favors back there.  I play back tips at my 3 home muni’s because it makes the hazards unreachable for me: when I’m somewhere new it’s always the intermediate tees, as I’m a 7 and not a scratch...

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

Just now, Micah T said:

Agreed: having a minimum 250 carry is the first of a few requirements:  if you don’t usually break 80 you’re doing yourself no favors back there.  I play back tips at my 3 home muni’s because it makes the hazards unreachable for me: when I’m somewhere new it’s always the intermediate tees, as I’m a 7 and not a scratch...

With the one group I play with all of us are senior players. In fact 2 of them are #1 and #2 in the CGA Amateur super senior rankings. On some courses we play mixed tees because from the senior tees there are a couple of holes we can get into trouble with a driver and it leaves too long of an approach shot to the green. One hole if we play from the senior tees and hit like say a 3 or 4 wood we have a long approach shot over water to an extremely elevated green. If we hit the driver we can hit another water hazard. So on that one we play the mid tees. Remember we are senior players and can not elevate the ball as high as we used to. 

G

I am a 7 as well. My home course is 6615 from the tips. In Cleveland Ohio area, there are less than a dozen public courses that touch 7000 (one is supposedly 7400 but I never see the tees set that far back). I still don't move to the back tees until the weather breaks or I'm familiar with the course. I can get around just fine on 66-6800, but unless I'm feeling it those wayyy back tees feel like punishment.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

I am a 7 as well. My home course is 6615 from the tips. In Cleveland Ohio area, there are less than a dozen public courses that touch 7000 (one is supposedly 7400 but I never see the tees set that far back). I still don't move to the back tees until the weather breaks or I'm familiar with the course. I can get around just fine on 66-6800, but unless I'm feeling it those wayyy back tees feel like punishment.

Take Dead Aim

I’m an 8 and would say I like courses that are in that 6700-6800 range too. It allows me to hit driver on most par 4s. Our league plays from the white tees which is only about 5700 yards and on the front 9 there are only 2 or 3 holes that I can really hit driver. Sad part is it doesn’t help my scoring much either because we’re hitting to dog-legs or forced layups so the second shot isn’t really any shorter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

This (besides testing op threads) has to be one of the quicker to 150+ posts. Well done!

This one took on a life of its own! It’s been fun to follow along and get some not so serious discussions going amid all the COVID-19 seriousness.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I’m an 8 and would say I like courses that are in that 6700-6800 range too. It allows me to hit driver on most par 4s. Our league plays from the white tees which is only about 5700 yards and on the front 9 there are only 2 or 3 holes that I can really hit driver. Sad part is it doesn’t help my scoring much either because we’re hitting to dog-legs or forced layups so the second shot isn’t really any shorter.

Sometimes it's fun to go to those short courses. Leave the driver in the bag and work on iron play.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

2 minutes ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

Sometimes it's fun to go to those short courses. Leave the driver in the bag and work on iron play.

Take Dead Aim

Oh you get your work hitting into those greens!  There’s 7 of 8 multitiered greens there, and the ones that aren’t are usually still pretty sloped and some tough shapes.

Take Dead Aim

Wrong tees are exactly why Bethpage Black is a 6+ hour round on a great day. Way too many guys decide to play it at 7400 yards and have no prayer before they put their shoes on. They usually figure out on 3 when they are hopping on a driver to get it to the front of the green on the par 3. I get asked all the time how often I play the Black with it in my backyard and the sad answer is maybe once a year. I don’t have the patience for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Wrong tees are exactly why Bethpage Black is a 6+ hour round on a great day. Way too many guys decide to play it at 7400 yards and have no prayer before they put their shoes on. They usually figure out on 3 when they are hopping on a driver to get it to the front of the green on the par 3. I get asked all the time how often I play the Black with it in my backyard and the sad answer is maybe once a year. I don’t have the patience for it.

Yikes! I can imagine that would turn you away from the course.
Although I can see why people get pulled into that. I want to play a course in “Tour Conditions” from where they play.... ok maybe the normal tips instead of the tour tips... just to see what its like for them. I’d bet there’s a lot more thinking like that at such a prestigious tour location like Bathpage, Sawgrass, and Pebble.

Yikes! I can imagine that would turn you away from the course.
Although I can see why people get pulled into that. I want to play a course in “Tour Conditions” from where they play.... ok maybe the normal tips instead of the tour tips... just to see what its like for them. I’d bet there’s a lot more thinking like that at such a prestigious tour location like Bathpage, Sawgrass, and Pebble.

Oh there is and you always have the ability to move up if you would like. 95% of the golfing public has zero shot in getting to 15 in two from the plaques and that would be with a career drive and 3 wood approach.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Nah forgot that. If I'm going to drop the cash and take the trip I'm going to enjoy myself and play the right tees

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

#2 for your entertainment.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_D3paYlOFz/?igshid=1raudkgyyr9e4

This is gotta be my favorite. Probably how many of my twirls look.

I use irons covers and I am not afraid to admit it. Mine are different. They are clear, so it doesn't matter which one goes on which club. I really do not need that confusion in my life. I walk a lot and carry them and hate the sound of them clanking against each other. My 60 & 56 do not have covers, because everything around them does. 

23 hours ago, B.Boston said:

This one took on a life of its own! It’s been fun to follow along and get some not so serious discussions going amid all the COVID-19 seriousness.

I will say it is a very interesting thread. And if you read closely you can see how different folks play the game

G

3 hours ago, Sean! said:

I use irons covers and I am not afraid to admit it. Mine are different. They are clear, so it doesn't matter which one goes on which club. I really do not need that confusion in my life. I walk a lot and carry them and hate the sound of them clanking against each other. My 60 & 56 do not have covers, because everything around them does. 

Well that is cool if that is what you want to do. Now one of my buds on WRX posted a shot of his clear covers one night. Some of the guys were calling them the Prophylactic covers. 2 reasons he did this--- One he had a beautiful set of Miura blades and he wanted to protect them rightfully so and the second one was to show them off. Since you are new I will explain myself to you I am the rat rod type I ran black primer Ratty Harleys long before they came to be somewhat popular and I have had my share of rat rods long before they became cool. On the other hand I am as laid back as there are and have no problem with someone spit and polish. In fact one of my dog fight partners uses iron covers on his call away irons

G

Please dont post a WITB thread without pictures. Yes, I know what 99% of what you're describing looks like, doesn't mean I don't want to SEE them.

/endrant

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Please dont post a WITB thread without pictures. Yes, I know what 99% of what you're describing looks like, doesn't mean I don't want to SEE them.
/endrant

I’m working in mine now! Fret not mine will include copious amount of pictures

Please, please, please, don't take 6 practice swings, stand over the ball for 10 seconds, and top it 20 yards (or throw a dart to 6 feet). 

No problem if you top it 20 yards, just hit, learn, and hit again--while we're young. 

Driver: :callaway-small:XHot; 10.5°; Project X S Shaft

3 Wood: :callaway-small: Razr X; Stiff shaft

3 Hybrid: :callaway-small: Big Bertha Heavenwood; Loft 20°; Standard Shaft 

Irons: :callaway-small:Diablo Edge; Steel Shafts; Stock Loft and Lie 

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM5 52.12F; SM5 56.14F; SM4 60.04

Putter: :edel-golf-1: Faldo G90

Grips: Golfpride CP2 Standard 

Right-Handed

On 4/13/2020 at 3:25 PM, zrumble said:

Please don’t take 15 minutes and look from 6 angles while reading a putt then blow it 5 feet past the hole and do it again. 

YES!!! I played behind a group last month that one guy did that every hole like he was trying to win the masters. It was just killing me. 

Please don’t make a living counting and dealing with number and consistently miscount your strokes. 

Titleist 917D3 Driver

Ping 3 wood

Nickent 3Hybrid

PXG Gen 3 Irons 3-PW

Ping Sigma 2 Blade Putter

ProV1x golf balls

On 4/13/2020 at 5:23 PM, Shankster said:

I’ll use iron headcovers if I choose. I still don’t get the hatred towards this.

You spend 1000+ on a set of clubs to ride in a cart with someone that jumps over bunkers and dents the crap out of them...

Yep.

Totally agree been using them since 1985 and my clubs from them look like brand new. But I did lose one last fall, was wearing out a little so it got loose and ripped, kept finding it for a few rounds and black duct taping it but it fell off anyway and lost it.

These definitely are required for Ping G700 and G70 and likely all black clubs.

Edited by viking

Jazz woods (Driver & Hybrids), TNT Silver Eagle Irons, PW & SW, Slotline Inertia putter. TopFlite Gammer.

On 4/17/2020 at 1:02 PM, Sean! said:

Are they trojans?

Jazz woods (Driver & Hybrids), TNT Silver Eagle Irons, PW & SW, Slotline Inertia putter. TopFlite Gammer.

On 4/17/2020 at 12:26 PM, Purple-Eagle said:

Please don't...Pick your club, line up the shot, address the ball...and then realize you forgot to put on your glove like you do after every hole.

I never remove my glove. No glove no love and I love golf.