2020 Official Member Review: Hogan GS53 driver

Our Sponsors

1 minute ago, 03trdblack said:

Took the GS53 9* with the HZRDUS Smoke 6.0 shaft out this weekend for it's first round and so far I'm coming away VERY impressed.  Based on the range sessions I had, I adjusted the head to 8.5* loft with 1* open face angle and a 57.5* lie.  The lie angles on this driver look very flat, even in the upright setting which I like.  It was overall a pretty windy day but I feel like the wind gave me a chance to try some different shots with the driver.  I tracked all my shots with my Shot Scope watch and had the following distances on 14 tee shots:

The overall average came to 257.17 yards and the playing average (taking out the shortest drive which was into the wind and longest drive which was down wind) was 256.35.

My biggest takeaway from day one is how easy it is to hit any shot I wanted with this driver.  I wouldn't consider it an all out bomber but more of a precision instrument like a surgeons scalpel.  I haven't had a chance to get spin numbers on the club yet but based on what I saw I'd say it's a mid/low spin design.  The ball didn't really feel like it rocketed off the face but distance was more than adequate and I had quite a few drives that ended up being sneaky long.  I'm not sure if it's the Speed Slot or just the fact that the head is a little smaller but it does feel like I am swinging this club faster.  I ordered my club at 45" instead of the stock 45.5".  I'm going to get some swing radar numbers on it to see how it compares to some other drivers.  I swing the SIM and the G410 LST faster than other drivers I have and it will be interesting to see if the Hogan is as fast as these clubs. 

As I mentioned, my favorite part was how easy the club hit different type of shots.  If I teed it up and swung up on it for a down wind shot, the head launched super high and carried forever.  If I teed it down and swung more level, the ball came out on a mid trajectory and didn't balloon into the wind.  I did notice that if I hit it a little low on the face the ball would spin up some but all drivers do this.  The best club I've ever hit for low on the face shots was the Cobra F9 Speedback (seriously, it's the best driver I've seen for low face shots).

LOVED the feel/sound of this club as well as the smaller look at address.  As you all have seen from the pictures it's a very classy looking head.  The face seems to have more bulge and roll than other drivers and if I had a choice I'd probably prefer a flatter looking club face but that doesn't bother me enough to matter.

I'm really looking forward to getting some launch monitor numbers once this whole COVID thing settles down.  Excited to continue playing the driver though and getting more on course results.         

The 2 long balls 290 and 296 what do you chalk that up to? Did you do anything different or were they just pure?

what about the 228? Just curious. Seem to have a really good streak of good distance in there just curious about the outliers 

• Like 2

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke VS Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sound clip might have to wait a bit... Funny enough I'm currently in the hospital with my wife as she's giving birth to our first child. I'll be a new baby boy's father hopefully by tomorrow! 

THE Ben Hogan GS53 Driver Review – July 4th, 2020  by 03TRDBlack Intro Follow me on my Instagram! @rob.c.slade  Also on Twitter @robslade. First and foremost, I want to th

the iconic swing is timeless... the company he founded in 1953 is committed to living up to Mr. Hogan's philosophy; they manufacture clubs 'as near perfect as modern-day tools can perform'.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Lacassem said:

The 2 long balls 290 and 296 what do you chalk that up to? Did you do anything different or were they just pure?

what about the 228? Just curious. Seem to have a really good streak of good distance in there just curious about the outliers 

Good questions!  The 290 shot was straight downwind and I teed the ball up and launched it nice and high.  The 296 shot was a par 5 that I hit into the perfect "slot" and it caught the backside of a hill and shot forward and rolled out forever.  

The 228 shot was dead into the wind and I caught the shot low on the head which caused it to spin up.  The wind just held it up and dropped it straight out of the sky.

• Like 5

My bag is a revolving door!

17 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

Good questions!  The 290 shot was straight downwind and I teed the ball up and launched it nice and high.  The 296 shot was a par 5 that I hit into the perfect "slot" and it caught the backside of a hill and shot forward and rolled out forever.  

The 228 shot was dead into the wind and I caught the shot low on the head which caused it to spin up.  The wind just held it up and dropped it straight out of the sky.

Are you finding youre getting alot more roll?

• Like 1

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke VS Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

1 minute ago, Lacassem said:

Hard to say yet with only 1 round in the books but the course we played was playing very firm and fast so everything was rolling out more than normal for this part of NC.  Once the weather starts to get warmer and the bermuda starts to fully grow in we'll see how the roll is affected.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

The ball didn't really feel like it rocketed off the face but distance was more than adequate and I had quite a few drives that ended up being sneaky long. 

I was thinking this same thing when I played a round over the weekend. I was thinking the best way characterize it is the face doesn't feel HOT but solid strikes just go. It gives you the sensation that YOU hit a good shot rather then the club itself made the shot go far.

Also I love what you mentioned about your shots into and with the wind i love the recent TXG video about tee height. It was a blessing to watch before my last round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXBsKwTTtf4

Also I need to get my Game Golf back up and track my distances and shots as well. Also I notices ou had less then average fairways. Do you chalk this up to the wind, your swing, or getting back to the course? I felt I was missing a lot of fairways but the shape was less extreme then my normal mishits. 

• Like 6

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
3W:  Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead 2
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50º: Maltby TSW

56º:  Cleveland RTX-2 
60º: Maltby Tour Grind MG
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot RX 2-ball

Ball: Snell MTB X
Other: Game Golf Live
Handicap: 5.9  -  Best Score: 73 (1 over) Bryan Park - Players Course, Greensboro NC -2020

2020 MGS Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

56 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

To me, it seems like I am getting increased ball flight and carry. The course I played was wet saturday and i still averaged about 260ish off the tee. It is going to be interesting to see how it performs once the courses dry up and I can get some roll.

• Like 3

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue

3 Wood: :adams-small: Insight BUL Stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

52 Deg:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0

56 deg: :cleveland-small: Reg 588 tour action

60 Deg: :cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0

Putter:bettinardi-small: Studio Stock #3 (Winn 1.32 Pro x grip)

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

1 hour ago, pozzit said:

Also I noticed you had less then average fairways. Do you chalk this up to the wind, your swing, or getting back to the course? I felt I was missing a lot of fairways but the shape was less extreme then my normal mishits. 

My average fairways hit in Shotscope for the season is around 60% so I only missed one more fairway than "average" in this round.  To be honest I don't pay close enough attention to see if shotscope records me hitting from the fairway or the rough if I'm on the edge of the fairway.  I'll start paying more attention to that so that it'll be more accurate.  The course was running so firm and fast there were a lot of holes that I wouldn't normally have hit driver on.  For example there is a sharp dogleg right where the fairway runs out and normally I would just hit a hybrid to the bend but instead I played a cut around the corner with the driver but still ended up going through the fairway by a few yards.  Since I'm testing the driver for the site, I wanted to hit it as many times as possible.  The bermuda rough hasn't grown in yet either so hitting in the rough right now isn't a penalty.

• Like 3

Got another 9 holes in today with the driver. The first two holes I was fighting a draw/pull and missed the fairway left. Not the best start. After that on hole 3 I hit one 285 with a slight helping breeze into the middle of the fairway, and then the other three holes hit it 265, and 262 and 268 yards in the fairway. The thing just finds the middle of the fairway when a good swing is put on the ball. 

• Like 3

In my bag:

7 hours ago, 03trdblack said:

The course was running so firm and fast there were a lot of holes that I wouldn't normally have hit driver on.  For example there is a sharp dogleg right where the fairway runs out and normally I would just hit a hybrid to the bend but instead I played a cut around the corner with the driver but still ended up going through the fairway by a few yards.  Since I'm testing the driver for the site, I wanted to hit it as many times as possible.  

Great dedication to the test sir 👏👏👏

You say the face doesn't feel "hot", have any of you noticed any " dead" feeling areas on the face or hit any shots that truely surprised you?

• Like 3

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3 Hybrid - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 4-PW - True Temper XP95 Reg
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° -True Temper XP95 Reg
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: Two Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 for the #cobraconnectchallenge3

I didn't recognize any hot spots or areas that would instantly give me that high launch / low spin knuckleball like some drivers have had in the past. The face isn't super deep so there isn't a lot of room to hit high or low. As I mentioned, I did hit a shot low on the face that spun up on me but all drivers do this.

Shots are definitely satisfying off the face but nothing felt like it exploded. It may be due to the way they tuned the sound. The PXG Gen 2 driver sounds like a block of wood when you hit it but distance is solid on it as well. 

• Like 3

Very windy here today. This driver seems to launch the gall higher. I also kept noticing a left miss. Most ball marks on the face are center to slight higher than center. Still love the sound of the ball coming off the face 

• Like 6

:titelist-small: TS2 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Red 6X

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6

:titelist-small: U510 3 iron Graphite Design Tour AD

:titelist-small: U500 4 iron Project X Smoke 

:titelist-small: TS100s 5-P Nippon Modus 3 

:vokey-small: SM 8 50, 54, 58

:cameron-small: Special Select Square Back 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Left Dash 

@pozzit
@03trdblack
@JScott

Do any of you guys experience a rattle like feeling/sound during your follow through. I noticed it last round and it continued today. It feels like something is moving around in the shaft. I can't recreate it except on the follow through of my swing. It doesn't seem to expect performance all the much but it has me concerned? Any ideas of what it might be/ a possible solution?

In my bag:

59 minutes ago, cciciora13 said:

@pozzit
@03trdblack
@JScott

Do any of you guys experience a rattle like feeling/sound during your follow through. I noticed it last round and it continued today. It feels like something is moving around in the shaft. I can't recreate it except on the follow through of my swing. It doesn't seem to expect performance all the much but it has me concerned? Any ideas of what it might be/ a possible solution?

What may have happened is a piece of epoxy may have come loose from the tip of the shaft and is floating around inside.  Is this what it sounds like?  There is a tool that you can use to get it out without removing the grip and Golfworks sells it:

https://www.golfworks.com/the-golfworks-grip-saver/p/saver/

It's one of my favorite tools and has saved a lot of time and effort.

• Like 1

I haven't notice that but will try and listen for it. I would assume it's probably epoxy in the shaft. Try taking the head off and do a test swing and see if you hear it then. If you then follow 03trdblack's suggestion or just let it be if it doesn't bother you.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Handicap: 5.9  -  Best Score: 73 (1 over) Bryan Park - Players Course, Greensboro NC -2020

Appreciate it guys. I tried your suggestion and I didn’t hear it in the shaft. Interestingly I was on the N- setting and then changed it to the low setting and the rattling went away. May be something with the connector. I’m going to try the new setting the next time I play and see how it goes. If it’s fine I probably won’t worry about it lol Maybe I’m just overthinking things.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

In my bag:

Played 9 last evening. No Rattle.  This driver sounds, looks, and feels awesome!  I am having a hard time getting set over the ball and I think i know why.  The face bulges out (at least to my eyes) and it seems that the toe and heel sit further back.  In other words, it seems the actual hitting area for the face is small.

Anyone else noticing the face seems overly rounded?

Results from practice session with my personal launch monitor (VoiceCaddie SC300)--Ball speed 156ish on average, swing speed 105ish on average, carry was 260ish on average.

The ball did not curve at all. If i missed it left or right it was due to pull or push (again, not comfortable getting lined up over the driver).

Results from actual play:  played 9 holes on my home course.  usually hit my driver on 1,2,4,5,6,.  3 is a par 3, 8 is a par 3 and 7 has trouble at the end of the fairway so usually hit 3 wood.  9 is a par 5 with water at end of fairway.

For the Hogan test, I hit driver on 7.  Launch was higher than usual (which is fine).  I hit the fairway on 1,4,5,7 so 4 out of 6 fairways.  I carried the ball further than normal but total distance was about the same.  On the 4th hole I hit a great drive and was probably a good 7 yards closer to the green than normal.  The fairways i missed were a yard or so off the fairway, nothing out of play.

So far, I love the look of the driver itself but i can not how to get it to sit square (still messing around with the settings).  I also love the feel of the ball off the face (i am noticing my ball marks on the face seems slightly higher than center--probably explains the higher flight).  Lastly the sound...it sounds slightly louder than say a Taylor Made M5 but not as "metallic" sounding as say a Titleist TS 3.

So far, so good with results.  If you asked me right now if I would game this...yes.  Best bang for the buck!

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, JScott said:

Played 9 last evening. No Rattle.  This driver sounds, looks, and feels awesome!  I am having a hard time getting set over the ball and I think i know why.  The face bulges out (at least to my eyes) and it seems that the toe and heel sit further back.  In other words, it seems the actual hitting area for the face is small.

Results from practice session with my personal launch monitor (VoiceCaddie SC300)--Ball speed 156ish on average, swing speed 105ish on average, carry was 260ish on average.

The ball did not curve at all. If i missed it left or right it was due to pull or push (again, not comfortable getting lined up over the driver).

Results from actual play:  played 9 holes on my home course.  usually hit my driver on 1,2,4,5,6,.  3 is a par 3, 8 is a par 3 and 7 has trouble at the end of the fairway so usually hit 3 wood.  9 is a par 5 with water at end of fairway.

For the Hogan test, I hit driver on 7.  Launch was higher than usual (which is fine).  I hit the fairway on 1,4,5,7 so 4 out of 6 fairways.  I carried the ball further than normal but total distance was about the same.  On the 4th hole I hit a great drive and was probably a good 7 yards closer to the green than normal.  The fairways i missed were a yard or so off the fairway, nothing out of play.

So far, I love the look of the driver itself but i can not how to get it to sit square (still messing around with the settings).  I also love the feel of the ball off the face (i am noticing my ball marks on the face seems slightly higher than center--probably explains the higher flight).  Lastly the sound...it sounds slightly louder than say a Taylor Made M5 but not as "metallic" sounding as say a Titleist TS 3.

So far, so good with results.  If you asked me right now if I would game this...yes.  Best bang for the buck!

It’s an interesting take on the face and center.  I’ve thought the same when first admiring the club through their product release.  What you’re seeing has to do with the face having a contrasting color than the crown.  Here’s a quick stock photo of a G410 where you can see the difference between toe and heel vs face bulge. You'd see the same with the PING if it had the same color styling. While I prefer the monochromatic style, if it works like you describe, it doesn’t matter much. 

6EE800D5-43FF-421F-8ABE-F78B3EF130BE.jpeg

• Like 3
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52, 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index

2 hours ago, JScott said:

I would agree that the face does seem to show more bulge at address. I also noticed the higher strikes on the face as well and was thinking it was just my strikes or recently raising my tee height but I've skied 2 balls so far this year and don't know if I have done that at all last year. The nine holes I played on Tuesday in league was atrocious all around and the only fairway i hit was the previously mentioned sky ball. I did have 2 decent drive on 6 & 9 (both par 5s) and felt like i finally got into a rhythm on the range after the round.

To be fair my driver swing has been very poor this year as a whole.

• Like 3

On 5/14/2020 at 9:22 AM, bens197 said:

It’s an interesting take on the face and center.  I’ve thought the same when first admiring the club through their product release.  What you’re seeing has to do with the face having a contrasting color than the crown.  Here’s a quick stock photo of a G410 where you can see the difference between toe and heel vs face bulge. You'd see the same with the PING if it had the same color styling. While I prefer the monochromatic style, if it works like you describe, it doesn’t matter much. 

6EE800D5-43FF-421F-8ABE-F78B3EF130BE.jpeg

Yep, that's it.  It is probably me but it find it very distracting.  When i feel i am square (club face to ball) and look up, I'm way off.  When i get lined up square with feet and shoulders and put the club down, it looks really shut.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JScott said:

Yep, that's it.  It is probably me but it find it very distracting.  When i feel i am square (club face to ball) and look up, I'm way off.  When i get lined up square with feet and shoulders and put the club down, it looks really shut.

I hope you can make it work. How do you like the shaft feel and performance compared to what you’re used to?

• PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52, 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index