2020 Official Member Review: Hogan GS53 driver

Our Sponsors

I wanted to jump in and provide an update with the GS53 testing since I posted my review.  I did end up going to club champion to try and hit some additional shafts but I found out they only fit the Hogan irons and don't have any adapters that will fit the driver.  We got some good numbers as I posted in my review and everything was almost perfect except the spin was just a hair higher than I'd like.  Not much, but between 2-500 RPM.  I did some testing of shafts with another clubhead just to get the idea of some feels of other shafts and we decided that the HZRDUS Smoke Green might be a good option to try since it's very similar to the Smoke Black but has a slightly stiffer tip and overall bend profile.

I may start to search online for a Smoke Green pull out but I decided to give the Harrison Shotmaker a try in the Smoke Black shaft first.  If you're not familiar with the Shotmaker it's worth reading the MGS review from quite a few years ago.  I wish this had become more popular and Harrison wasn't out of business because it does EXACTLY what it advertises it will do.

I put the Shotmaker in the Smoke Black and so far the Hogan has performed extremely well.  It was already an incredibly accurate driver but now it's literally point and shoot with the Shotmaker installed.  I haven't been able to get back on the Trackman yet to see if the spin has dropped any but the launch came down slightly and I'm getting a lot of roll which has been nice now that it's hot outside.  I think I'm going to keep this combo for a while and may snag a cheap Smoke Green shaft once the prices come down some but I'm not sure I'm going to improve any further.

• Like 4

My bag is a revolving door!

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sound clip might have to wait a bit... Funny enough I'm currently in the hospital with my wife as she's giving birth to our first child. I'll be a new baby boy's father hopefully by tomorrow! 

THE Ben Hogan GS53 Driver Review – July 4th, 2020  by 03TRDBlack Intro Follow me on my Instagram! @rob.c.slade  Also on Twitter @robslade. First and foremost, I want to th

the iconic swing is timeless... the company he founded in 1953 is committed to living up to Mr. Hogan's philosophy; they manufacture clubs 'as near perfect as modern-day tools can perform'.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, 03trdblack said:

I wanted to jump in and provide an update with the GS53 testing since I posted my review.  I did end up going to club champion to try and hit some additional shafts but I found out they only fit the Hogan irons and don't have any adapters that will fit the driver.  We got some good numbers as I posted in my review and everything was almost perfect except the spin was just a hair higher than I'd like.  Not much, but between 2-500 RPM.  I did some testing of shafts with another clubhead just to get the idea of some feels of other shafts and we decided that the HZRDUS Smoke Green might be a good option to try since it's very similar to the Smoke Black but has a slightly stiffer tip and overall bend profile.

I may start to search online for a Smoke Green pull out but I decided to give the Harrison Shotmaker a try in the Smoke Black shaft first.  If you're not familiar with the Shotmaker it's worth reading the MGS review from quite a few years ago.  I wish this had become more popular and Harrison wasn't out of business because it does EXACTLY what it advertises it will do.

I put the Shotmaker in the Smoke Black and so far the Hogan has performed extremely well.  It was already an incredibly accurate driver but now it's literally point and shoot with the Shotmaker installed.  I haven't been able to get back on the Trackman yet to see if the spin has dropped any but the launch came down slightly and I'm getting a lot of roll which has been nice now that it's hot outside.  I think I'm going to keep this combo for a while and may snag a cheap Smoke Green shaft once the prices come down some but I'm not sure I'm going to improve any further.

Wow I had not heard of Shotmaker previously. That is really impressive if that much accuracy improvement is expected.

Good luck finding a Smoke Green Shaft. I would like to try a few other shafts just to test out and see whats best for me.

• Like 2

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
3W:  Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead 2
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50º: Maltby TSW

56º:  Cleveland RTX-2 
60º: Maltby Tour Grind MG
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot RX 2-ball

Ball: Snell MTB X
Other: Game Golf Live
Handicap: 5.9  -  Best Score: 73 (1 over) Bryan Park - Players Course, Greensboro NC -2020

2020 MGS Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

I have played a few rounds since I posted my review but I realized im trying to over power it after 3 mediocre drives I tried to dial one back to 90% and hit a beautiful drive that i think went further then my usual drives. I swung a few more after the round and was really hitting the center. I want to get out again and start working on it more. 

• Like 4

Handicap: 5.9  -  Best Score: 73 (1 over) Bryan Park - Players Course, Greensboro NC -2020

I have played a few rounds since I posted my review but I realized im trying to over power it after 3 mediocre drives I tried to dial one back to 90% and hit a beautiful drive that i think went further then my usual drives. I swung a few more after the round and was really hitting the center. I want to get out again and start working on it more. 

I agree. When I try to kill it, I tend to over do it and pull/hook it left. When I hit a nice smooth swing it is a bomb down the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue

3 Wood: :adams-small: Insight BUL Stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

52 Deg:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0

56 deg: :cleveland-small: Reg 588 tour action

60 Deg: :cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0

Putter:bettinardi-small: Studio Stock #3 (Winn 1.32 Pro x grip)

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

21 hours ago, pozzit said:

When I try to get after my driver i am all over the place but when I make a smooth, slower feeling swing it just flies out there. It almost feels like when I get "fast" I lose my sequence and can't find the center of the face.

• Like 3

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3 Hybrid - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 4-PW - True Temper XP95 Reg
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° -True Temper XP95 Reg
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: Two Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 for the #cobraconnectchallenge3

22 hours ago, pozzit said:

Yes I can get swing speeds of close to 130 but good luck finding my ball. My happy place is 115-120. As @Nunfa0 put it so eloquently I lose my sequencing when I try to smash it, either my hands clear to fast (I am very wristy) and I just pull the hell out of it or they lag behind and I hit a towering balloon.

Glad you were able to catch this, most do not. 

image.jpeg.32986346c2809cfe68df21631f4440f2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke VS Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Quick update.  I have been playing the Hogan driver exclusively for a month or so now.  For kicks, I put back in my old Titleist driver.  I am sold on the HOGAN for one very simple reason....the trajectory is so much better.  Still loving the HOGAN!

• Like 3

:titelist-small: TS2 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Red 6X

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6

:titelist-small: U510 3 iron Graphite Design Tour AD

:titelist-small: U500 4 iron Project X Smoke 

:titelist-small: TS100s 5-P Nippon Modus 3 

:vokey-small: SM 8 50, 54, 58

:cameron-small: Special Select Square Back 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Left Dash 

Ok so I'm gearing up for a round today since league got canceled yesterday. This will be the first real focused 18 holes I have been able to play in the last month. So I'm going to dial my Hogan back to about 85% and try to focus on fairways and accept any distance differences and check Game Golf see how much it really impacted me.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pozzit said:
Ok so I'm gearing up for a round today since league got canceled yesterday. This will be the first real focused 18 holes I have been able to play in the last month. So I'm going to dial my Hogan back to about 85% and try to focus on fairways and accept any distance differences and check Game Golf see how much it really impacted me.

So round went well. Didn't quite catch as many fairways as I was hoping for but I felt I only had 2 drives that I was unhappy with. The rest were misses were just off the fairway some left some right. I'm hitting the face more consistently but was still trying to get a good sequence. I hit a 2nd ball on several holes and you know those will hit the fairway.
Iron play was off on the beginning of the round and 3 of 5 bogies were on par 3s. Ended with a 75 which ties my best for that course. Just from quick memory I think my drives were just as far usual and just getting more efficient transfer to the ball.
Capture2.JPG.e5534caf17e02027bdce7ec85372f116.JPG

3 Drive off to the right and 1 off to the left the longest one cut the corner and was really only about 5 yards off the fairway so it really wasn't a bad position

My Distance was also comparable to my average so that shows how much im losing not hitting the middle. Also the 207 yrds drive was the first hole and I only swung that at like 70%. 

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Edited by pozzit
Added Game Golf data
  • Like 1

Just chiming in to say I still love this driver. If I swing within my shoes and don’t try to kill it (tendency to
Hook left) I absolutely bomb it. Two of my drives today went 300+ yards

• Like 2

In my bag:

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_3465.JPG

This driver still flat out performs. Hit 64% of fairways over my round last weekend with a few others just off the fairway. A couple of times I hit the driver “too good” and hit it through the fairway!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

In my bag:

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all its been about 2 months since my update and I am still really enjoying the GS53. I have started to wrangle my swing a little bit and have had some great driving days I have hit some drives in better spots then I have in years.  I played 54 holes the other weekend and only had 3 drives that were penalizing. I believe my Fairway percentage was around 65% I had a few absolute bombs. 

I do believe this is an all around good driver. I haven't hit anything new lately especially with Covid but I am very satisfied with it. I should break my Ping back out and do another side by side test since I have improved my swing. 

I would love to go through a solid fitting session with this driver to really find out what would be best for me but thats the downside to DTC. I believe someone mentioned Club Champion can fit their irons but not the driver.

• Like 1

Actually, I'll provide an update as well. I ended up picking up the 3 wood as well and it's equally as fantastic as the driver. The shape is just so perfect at address and the feeling is soft but hot. Some might consider it a little small looking but to me it's ideal. 

• Like 1

My bag is a revolving door!

Actually, I'll provide an update as well. I ended up picking up the 3 wood as well and it's equally as fantastic as the driver. The shape is just so perfect at address and the feeling is soft but hot. Some might consider it a little small looking but to me it's ideal. 
Thats awesome glad you picked it up. You should add a few pictures.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2