TESTERS WANTED! ×

Stats I find important!

Since I’ve been playing with my virtual launch monitor so much lately, I’ve come to really appreciate certain stats. Obviously distance is the one we all know, probably followed closely by clubhead speed. But beyond that, there is so much more.

carry, and total distance. Carry means more to me, specifically for greens, and trouble.

spin is important because it will let you know if you’ll be holding greens with irons, and or possibly ballooning shots, or having them fall out of the sky.

launch angle let’s you know if your shot is leaving at a good trajectory for all good things to follow. combined with spin numbers tells a tale on how well you’ve struck your intended shot

smash factor again,  sweet spot anyone? When you’ve got a great smash number, you know that your other stats will be fully meaningful 

AOA - this is my favorite new stat after watching some videos last night about Driver AOA. And also one of my previously ignored stats, until a spy mentioned his drivers AOA, which seemed a bit high to me. Anyways, I was always too steep on everything, and had been working on shallowing my irons. But my driver has always been a little inconsistent and usually -1 or -2° ..so I watched a few vids on how to raise it into a positive number, and suddenly my driver has significantly more carry (on the monitor) and more total yards. I won’t drown you in how, but rather how much longer the carry is. Of course, into the net doesn’t help with anything, so I’ll have to wait for real grass one of these days to really see how all my “garage work” will pay off.

there is a game called Optishot 2 that actually is like a fake skytrac, and you can use real balls too. It’s like $300 or so I hear, but most of the reviews show it’s not at all accurate on long ball, but reasonable with the shorter irons. It has sensors that will show swing path, face angle, face contact, and a few others. But, the neat part is that you can purchase an overhead digital projector, and shoot it on to either an actual hitting screen, or even a white bed sheet, behind your net maybe? But that was just a quick spinoff of my point about specs, mainly the swingpath, club face angle and the such. Perhaps a combination of this game and one of the inexpensive launch monitors, or even the iPhone app that I’ve been messing with would be enough for a fulfilling garage experience that doesn’t break the bank.

enough prattling... thoughts?

stay safe you old farts (myself included)

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Sounds like you are analyzing you game like many of us do. Next thing you know you will be buying new clubs and components to see if something works better.

Stats have a purpose and are great to provide guidance. Don’t hyper focus on those numbers but use them to help improve.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

15 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

Since I’ve been playing with my virtual launch monitor so much lately, I’ve come to really appreciate certain stats. Obviously distance is the one we all know, probably followed closely by clubhead speed. But beyond that, there is so much more.

carry, and total distance. Carry means more to me, specifically for greens, and trouble.

spin is important because it will let you know if you’ll be holding greens with irons, and or possibly ballooning shots, or having them fall out of the sky.

launch angle let’s you know if your shot is leaving at a good trajectory for all good things to follow. combined with spin numbers tells a tale on how well you’ve struck your intended shot

smash factor again,  sweet spot anyone? When you’ve got a great smash number, you know that your other stats will be fully meaningful 

AOA - this is my favorite new stat after watching some videos last night about Driver AOA. And also one of my previously ignored stats, until a spy mentioned his drivers AOA, which seemed a bit high to me. Anyways, I was always too steep on everything, and had been working on shallowing my irons. But my driver has always been a little inconsistent and usually -1 or -2° ..so I watched a few vids on how to raise it into a positive number, and suddenly my driver has significantly more carry (on the monitor) and more total yards. I won’t drown you in how, but rather how much longer the carry is. Of course, into the net doesn’t help with anything, so I’ll have to wait for real grass one of these days to really see how all my “garage work” will pay off.

there is a game called Optishot 2 that actually is like a fake skytrac, and you can use real balls too. It’s like $300 or so I hear, but most of the reviews show it’s not at all accurate on long ball, but reasonable with the shorter irons. It has sensors that will show swing path, face angle, face contact, and a few others. But, the neat part is that you can purchase an overhead digital projector, and shoot it on to either an actual hitting screen, or even a white bed sheet, behind your net maybe? But that was just a quick spinoff of my point about specs, mainly the swingpath, club face angle and the such. Perhaps a combination of this game and one of the inexpensive launch monitors, or even the iPhone app that I’ve been messing with would be enough for a fulfilling garage experience that doesn’t break the bank.

Well done.  Many don't like numbers or complain that it is making the game too difficult, but almost everything we do is based on data & numbers.  

Other thoughts: 

Carry is king and almost the only thing that matters for a player. (if anyone is targeting for carry and roll you don't understand the game as well as you should)

I'd suggest ball speed over swing speed if your technology provides it.  Some can swing fast but don't hit it any farther.  

AOA is solid.  Don't chase but understand. 

Smash is decent but shoe spray on the club face is better.  Smash isn't great to chase or even monitor that much. 

The second most important stat, if the unit provides it, is starting line.  If you can't start on the same or close line every time then the rest doesn't really matter as you precision won't be good enough to improve.  

Well done!

Great explanation. I know so many guys that are just concerned with average TOTAL distance for their clubs. Those are the same guys that find the front green side bunker with their approach shots.

Just curious which LM are you using that's giving you the information? I use a SC200 that gives me carry, total and smash factor, in addition to SS and ball speed. However, I don't use it for my wedges because I don't trust the data. I've also have used the driving range feature of our local Golfzon which gives me AOA, side spin, back spin, face angle for my long clubs. But again I don't trust the data on my wedges.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

20 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

So Im curious as well what launch Monitor you are using. I have an Optishot with projector and net and its fun for sure but I relate it to about as accurate as if you were on a driving range with no markings. Its a blast to go out and play 9-18 holes in an hour or so and just keep you swinging. The only data its really giving you is club path and the faster the club moves the less accurate. You have to input your average distance with each club and then select the club when you hit and it just averages some stuff out. I have looked into Skytrak since that the "Upgrade" in my opinion for garage golf. this would give more accurate data.

As for numbers I have been trying to increase my Driver AOA to increase the launch angle,  so I can lower my spin and get less ballooning and more distance on my drives. I have also been trying to increase club/ball speed but have no good way to measure.

I am a numbers junky and if i could get all my data on every shot I would love it, but at the same time there are no correct number. It all just bubbles up to have a shot from an inconsistent human that goes +- 10 yards from what I was wanting, to many yards off line, and gives me another change to repeat each flaw. 

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

7 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Great explanation. I know so many guys that are just concerned with average TOTAL distance for their clubs. Those are the same guys that find the front green side bunker with their approach shots.

Just curious which LM are you using that's giving you the information? I use a SC200 that gives me carry, total and smash factor, in addition to SS and ball speed. However, I don't use it for my wedges because I don't trust the data. I've also have used the driving range feature of our local Golfzon which gives me AOA, side spin, back spin, face angle for my long clubs. But again I don't trust the data on my wedges.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I’m being a beta tester for that iPhone app called Shot Vision. I made a thread about it a few weeks ago, but it didn’t seem to work for the other guys that tried it. I’m only using it indoors in my garage. It’s not perfect by any means and has its share of problems, but they’re starting to get it close. I already knew my numbers from playing 5 days a week, (pre Covid), so I know when it’s close. My buddy has a sc200 which I’m going to borrow, just to compare. The app doesn’t have smash, and don’t laugh, but I like to use a small piece of blue masking tape on the face to show where it hit it. What’s sad is how rarely I hit the center of the face... according to the sc200, I was always crushing it...

im not trying to use this thread to promote the app, but rather to talk about stats, and how they can enlighten your game. Especially “know it alls” like me, who really didn’t know that many technicalities about what I was doing. What I did know was that sometimes I really crushed some drives, and other times I hit low bullets that didn’t end up going that far. And I knew I was steep due to the trenches I could dig with irons.. and too many “fat” shots... didn’t really know that a shallower AOA would help, altho sometimes I would get steep on purpose for a punchy shot. It’s really all about trying to understand what I’m doing, whereas I used to not really care..

even if the readings are slightly off, they are consistent, which does allow me to judge if my practicing is going in the right direction. For example, the AOA was important as I was always a “digger”, and my early readings were like -6. And say -2° with the driver. So watching numerous videos about how to “shallow” my swing for irons, and to get my driver into the + side, I could see a change in whatever numbers were being given. I got the irons down to -2 to -5, and actually got the driver into the positive side, and the carry numbers showed a difference to be sure.

when they finally get the app dialed in I’ll certainly start crowing about it for sure in here

7 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

I’m being a beta tester for that iPhone app called Shot Vision. I made a thread about it a few weeks ago, but it didn’t seem to work for the other guys that tried it. I’m only using it indoors in my garage. It’s not perfect by any means and has its share of problems, but they’re starting to get it close. I already knew my numbers from playing 5 days a week, (pre Covid), so I know when it’s close. My buddy has a sc200 which I’m going to borrow, just to compare. The app doesn’t have smash, and don’t laugh, but I like to use a small piece of blue masking tape on the face to show where it hit it. What’s sad is how rarely I hit the center of the face... according to the sc200, I was always crushing it...

im not trying to use this thread to promote the app, but rather to talk about stats, and how they can enlighten your game. Especially “know it alls” like me, who really didn’t know that many technicalities about what I was doing. What I did know was that sometimes I really crushed some drives, and other times I hit low bullets that didn’t end up going that far. And I knew I was steep due to the trenches I could dig with irons.. and too many “fat” shots... didn’t really know that a shallower AOA would help, altho sometimes I would get steep on purpose for a punchy shot. It’s really all about trying to understand what I’m doing, whereas I used to not really care..

even if the readings are slightly off, they are consistent, which does allow me to judge if my practicing is going in the right direction. For example, the AOA was important as I was always a “digger”, and my early readings were like -6. And say -2° with the driver. So watching numerous videos about how to “shallow” my swing for irons, and to get my driver into the + side, I could see a change in whatever numbers were being given. I got the irons down to -2 to -5, and actually got the driver into the positive side, and the carry numbers showed a difference to be sure.

when they finally get the app dialed in I’ll certainly start crowing about it for sure in here

Just an FYI.  While tape does tell you your impact position, it really throws off numbers like spin and launch.  You have changed the friction of the face and it makes a big difference.  I'd suggest foot spray.  

8 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

Thanks - keep us posted on the app. BTW I would would imagine that the SC200 reading of the smash factor is just a computation of ball speed and SS - although I'm not an expert here. Also good idea on blue tape.  I've been using impact labels, but originally started out with foot spray. What I like about the  impact labels is that I can save them to see if I'm getting better over time. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

For me I am not a ball stat guy or club stat guy (right @B.Boston)....all the spin rates and ball speed info I have never gave much attention to (probably should have because when I got fitted i had 15k spin rate on my sand wedge which I guess is high?!🤣) but I was playing well and scoring so never gave it much thought.

The things I really pay attention to are the round numbers:

-Fairways hit

-GIR

-Average PPH

It may be simple and basic but I play my best when its simple and basic (and ask my friends I am overall pretty basic what ya see is what ya get). 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

On 4/14/2020 at 8:39 AM, cnosil said:

Sounds like you are analyzing you game like many of us do. Next thing you know you will be buying new clubs and components to see if something works better.

Stats have a purpose and are great to provide guidance. Don’t hyper focus on those numbers but use them to help improve.

27 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

For me I am not a ball stat guy or club stat guy (right @B.Boston)....all the spin rates and ball speed info I have never gave much attention to (probably should have because when I got fitted i had 15k spin rate on my sand wedge which I guess is high?!🤣) but I was playing well and scoring so never gave it much thought.

-Fairways hit

-GIR

-Average PPH

It may be simple and basic but I play my best when its simple and basic (and ask my friends I am overall pretty basic what ya see is what ya get). 

In on of my MBA stats classes I got to do a statistical analysis on baseball teams looking for what was most significant in deciding how successful they were.  At the end of the analysis my two most and maybe only significant values were runs for and runs against.  No S*** Sherlock!  I still found it very interesting that some teams did it with hitting versus pitching and power versus stolen bases, etc ,etc ,etc.   

How does this relate to golf?  I tend to agree with @Lacassem and @cnosil here to not hyper focus on the swing stats and pay most attention to my performance numbers of Fairways, Greens, Putts, Sand Saves, Scrambling, and similar stats versus too many of the swing related numbers.  However, I do know the ballpark for my numbers to make sure there's nothing terribly inefficient with my swing.  Also, knowing your real carry numbers is maybe the most important thing you can and should know.  It still amazes me the amount of people that have no clue how far they hit their clubs.  But at the end of the day its about getting the ball into the cup in as few shots as possible.  I've seen a lot of not pretty swings shoot some low scores.  

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

55 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

In on of my MBA stats classes I got to do a statistical analysis on baseball teams looking for what was most significant in deciding how successful they were.  At the end of the analysis my two most and maybe only significant values were runs for and runs against.  No S*** Sherlock!  I still found it very interesting that some teams did it with hitting versus pitching and power versus stolen bases, etc ,etc ,etc.   

How does this relate to golf?  I tend to agree with @Lacassem and @cnosil here to not hyper focus on the swing stats and pay most attention to my performance numbers of Fairways, Greens, Putts, Sand Saves, Scrambling, and similar stats versus too many of the swing related numbers.  However, I do know the ballpark for my numbers to make sure there's nothing terribly inefficient with my swing.  Also, knowing your real carry numbers is maybe the most important thing you can and should know.  It still amazes me the amount of people that have no clue how far they hit their clubs.  But at the end of the day its about getting the ball into the cup in as few shots as possible.  I've seen a lot of not pretty swings shoot some low scores.  

True distances is huge and how often are we making true good contact? That is huge, yea you could hit 8 iron 170 but how often is that the case? 5%? Contact contact contact.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

47 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

A little different take on this would be to classify these numbers under two categories : leading and lagging Indicators. In order for me to hit FIR and GIR I need to work on SS,  smash factor,  etc. Those numbers would be the leading indicators that @Sluggo42 is working to better understand.  Knowing these numbers and improving on them will help achieve the end result which are measured after the fact (lagging), i.e. the end of hole or end of round . So ultimately I think you need both. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

1 minute ago, tony@CIC said:

A little different take on this would be to classify these numbers under two categories : leading and lagging Indicators. In order for me to hit FIR and GIR I need to work on SS,  smash factor,  etc. Those numbers would be the leading indicators that @Sluggo42 is working to better understand.  Knowing these numbers and improving on them will help achieve the end result which are measured after the fact (lagging), i.e. the end of hole or end of round . So ultimately I think you need both. 

Valid point, its all important, I think some minds think differently (not think its a fact lol). I know for me the simpler version is ok I am not hitting fairways, why is that?

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

1 hour ago, B.Boston said:

KPIs are really important.  Skill always trumps technique.  What are your KPIs to perform well on the golf course.  I'd advise great caution in what you track and your expectations of each indicator.  If you are following the general traditional concepts portrayed by most you are probably missing the true story about your game.  That said, a slacking performance indicators would lead us to either concepts/strategy or swing numbers.  This is how you identify and solve problems.  Most of my players report the issues and are way off base.  It takes a long time to get back on track when a player is chasing the wrong solution. 

3 hours ago, edteergolf said:

Just an FYI.  While tape does tell you your impact position, it really throws off numbers like spin and launch.  You have changed the friction of the face and it makes a big difference.  I'd suggest foot spray.  

Thanks for that concept. I don’t use tape for every shot, just occasionally when I feel “off” a bit.

yes, I agree fir, gir, ppr, etc are all the good stats, but while I’m stuck in my garage I can only do what I can do. In a sense, monitor golf is kind of the “hidden” side of golf that most players never really pay much attention to, and it’s really opened my eyes to how bad numbers can expose bad swing tendencies... YouTube offers endless “fixes” (if you will) one can use to curb those “bad” swings, if one chooses to chase.  It will be very interesting to get back on the grass after thousands of shots in the “swing lab” (my garage)

im also quite sure that my “hitting mat” probably has an influence on my numbers as well, altho I rather like it. I can hear and feel good or bad shots, and it’s not a concrete base that destroys my joints. But, I have no idea how it affects numbers, but my feeling is that it’s pretty good.

my next area of focus is going to be “launch angle” combined with “spin”, in order to see how the distances will vary with different flight paths. It should all be interesting!

2 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

Thanks for that concept. I don’t use tape for every shot, just occasionally when I feel “off” a bit.

yes, I agree fir, gir, ppr, etc are all the good stats, but while I’m stuck in my garage I can only do what I can do. In a sense, monitor golf is kind of the “hidden” side of golf that most players never really pay much attention to, and it’s really opened my eyes to how bad numbers can expose bad swing tendencies... YouTube offers endless “fixes” (if you will) one can use to curb those “bad” swings, if one chooses to chase.  It will be very interesting to get back on the grass after thousands of shots in the “swing lab” (my garage)

im also quite sure that my “hitting mat” probably has an influence on my numbers as well, altho I rather like it. I can hear and feel good or bad shots, and it’s not a concrete base that destroys my joints. But, I have no idea how it affects numbers, but my feeling is that it’s pretty good.

my next area of focus is going to be “launch angle” combined with “spin”, in order to see how the distances will vary with different flight paths. It should all be interesting!

I'd suggest a high quality carpet remnant if you want to get really good.  Hit it a bit fat and you will know.  It provides virtually no margin of error which is fantastic!  Obviously a driver becomes difficult as there is no way to tee a ball but you can be creative.  I have a good mat as well and I find myself pulling out the carpet much more frequently.  

Just to clear, I think fairways hit, GIRs and putts per regulation are not at all good indicators of performance.  Probably the weakest stats available.  

As for swing - learn to hit a paper plate repeatedly and then make sure it curves the desired direction.  If you can do that it won't get much better. 

I'd suggest a high quality carpet remnant if you want to get really good. 

As for swing - learn to hit a paper plate repeatedly and then make sure it curves the desired direction.  If you can do that it won't get much better. 

70s shag or Berber carpet? What does high quality mean?

I am assuming you are attaching it to the net but how far away and how high for each club? Any guidelines?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

70s shag or Berber carpet? emoji23.pngWhat does high quality mean?

I am assuming you are attaching it to the net but how far away and how high for each club? Any guidelines?

🤣🤣 funny, but actually a good question.
i don’t think he means hitting a piece of carpet as a target, but to hit off of.. 

And, what’s under the carpet? Grass, foam, concrete? My hitting surface is actually really good I think. You can really feel a fat shot with the drag, but it doesn’t break your wrist. It’s like a stiff plastic bristle brush, about 1.5” tall. So it will give a little in good shots, drag pretty hard on fat shots (monitor also shows way less distance, and ball mark is high on face. Thin shots just hurt like normal.

to the paper plate concept.. huh? Won’t it just get crushed the second you hit it? I think your saying a cut will spin to the right etc.

i got my buddies SC200, but he’s set up with different lofts, and his remote needs a new battery, so I can’t really compare units. I set it at an 8 iron (35°), and hit my 7 iron (34°), but it’s also set for total yards blah blah blah- anyways, headed to store for a 2025 3v...

34 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

i don’t think he means hitting a piece of carpet as a target, but to hit off of.. 

And, what’s under the carpet? Grass, foam, concrete? My hitting surface is actually really good I think. You can really feel a fat shot with the drag, but it doesn’t break your wrist. It’s like a stiff plastic bristle brush, about 1.5” tall. So it will give a little in good shots, drag pretty hard on fat shots (monitor also shows way less distance, and ball mark is high on face. Thin shots just hurt like normal.

to the paper plate concept.. huh? Won’t it just get crushed the second you hit it? I think your saying a cut will spin to the right etc.

i got my buddies SC200, but he’s set up with different lofts, and his remote needs a new battery, so I can’t really compare units. I set it at an 8 iron (35°), and hit my 7 iron (34°), but it’s also set for total yards blah blah blah- anyways, headed to store for a 2025 3v...

What are you hitting off of? and what are you using underneath?

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

6 hours ago, Lacassem said:

-Fairways hit

-GIR

-Average PPH

Simple is fine however those stats do not tell you much in regards to your game or what area is in need of improving. 

If I hit 14 greens and have 40 putts one would like I am a terrible putter and an exceptional iron player. But if on those greens my first putt was from 45+ feet it is not my putting that is poor it is my irons. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

1 hour ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Simple is fine however those stats do not tell you much in regards to your game or what area is in need of improving. 

If I hit 14 greens and have 40 putts one would like I am a terrible putter and an exceptional iron player. But if on those greens my first putt was from 45+ feet it is not my putting that is poor it is my irons. 

Valid point. I definitely pay attention to that as well where some that use that star may not 

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

1 hour ago, Lacassem said:

What are you hitting off of? and what are you using underneath?

I’m using the “flight deck” made by Fiberbuilt. It’s awesome

22 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

I’m using the “flight deck” made by Fiberbuilt. It’s awesome

This looks great. Does it stay in place well? Are you using outside? I’m going to be in the market soon and was looking at ones that act like taking divots and come back. Have not done deep research but have found a few sites https://www.customdesigngolf.com/divotactiontrade-mats.html like this one

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

6 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

This looks great. Does it stay in place well? Are you using outside? I’m going to be in the market soon and was looking at ones that act like taking divots and come back. Have not done deep research but have found a few sites https://www.customdesigngolf.com/divotactiontrade-mats.html like this one

It doesn’t move an inch, it all locks together. The hitting area is fairly small, which worried me, but after thousands of strikes it still looks as new. Then when you want to hit off the tee, you just flip it around, and the tee adjusts to where you want it to be, and it seems indestructible so far, haha, but they gave me two.

your link looks interesting... but honestly I’m really impressed with the flight deck-

5 hours ago, cnosil said:

70s shag or Berber carpet? emoji23.pngWhat does high quality mean?

I really only mean that there is a good padding integrated into the carpet. This way you don't need a second component and the padding is thick enough so that hitting off cement in your garage doesn't hurt.  I have had no discomfort hitting balls in my garage.  (high quality was a poor choice of words).  It would be in between Berber and 70's shag.  I'd say the fibers are between 1/4" - 1/2" long.  The carpet I'm using is a remnant from carpet replacement last year.  I'd guess you could go to a carpet store and get a remnant for free or very cheap.  I have hung netting from when I had my store.  Bed sheets would work equally well.  Nothing fancy except that I get to use my GCQuad and K-Vest.  

3 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

The carpet has the padding integrated.  I do mean hit the paper plate.  If you can't start it very close to the same spot every time the game will be quite difficult.  As for the shredding of the plate - they are cheap.  The carpet I'm using is very unforgiving without being painful.  That said, I'm a reasonable golfer so anyone's experience could be different.  

3 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

You aren't wrong, but for many golfers, 76 would be a fantastic day!!!  Not so much for a + handicap.  That said, they would need a few approaches a bit closer to shoot par or better.  

Here’s a few different shots , a 5 iron and a Pw, as seen by the iPhone app vs. the SC200. First the 5 iron, carry is within 3.5 yds. Ball speed is within 2.5 mph. Club head speed is nearly equal. Launch angle is a hair low, and that makes me assume why the spin is slightly low as well. It was a reasonably well struck shot, and 170 is a good carry for me for a well hit ball. Being new to these types of stats, I’m not sure is that’s a proper number for everything.

347838AF-7B89-4D37-8A6B-5827922134AF.thumb.png.53a59b5afd5532f71e6bec7054343f42.png437D60F1-62BA-4F1A-8DEF-340D79A0E602.thumb.jpeg.46576be4d74a0177922cfa9571432aff.jpeg

now some SW comps. You’ll see that carry and ball speed are nearly identical, yet swing speed has a 16 mph difference!! I don’t know which one to believe there. It wasn’t the best hit, But not bad. Spin is low on this one. The spin really can just around I’m finding.

more testing tomorrow between the two as I had to cut short today due to batteries dying, will be better prepared!

1C32878A-81F1-4E6E-B3A1-661A958E414F.thumb.png.82f7d775c660064bcf6983a35232d666.png49F4BE6A-C781-4B7E-94A9-8A59F684441A.thumb.jpeg.1d0322365eafd55879375a204f21cd35.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2020 at 3:05 PM, THEZIPR23 said:

I see the point you are trying to make about proximity to the hole, but an old golf coach I used to play with gave me a great little formula for GIR. If you typically can 2 putt 90 percent of the greens, you can reliably use this. I doubt anyone would 3 putt all 18 greens (40 putts) if they hit 14 greens in regulation, but I would argue that their biggest problem is not irons. It’s putting. If you can hit 14 greens you better be shooting in the 60s. 

# of GIR x 2 subtracted from 95 = your score (+/- 1 stroke) 

So, if you can hit 10 greens, you should shoot around 75 every time. Try it. It’s my goal to hit 5 on each side. I’m always amazed when it works out to my exact score. 

4 par 3s, maybe you hit 3?

4 par 5s maybe you hit 3?

10 par 4s left to hit the remaining 4? 

Edited by Gopokes14

Cart: image.png.50e429cab7658fa55a7699ecf1a9bc3b.pngElectric Cart Tek 1500

Driver: :ping-small: G430 LST  10.5  Mitsubishi Kai Li white 60 stiff

3 wood: :ping-small: G430 15 Mitsubishi Kai Li white 67 stiff

3 &4 hybrid:  pxg-logo.gif.f353978c9ce9413281f838c1a44b4b8e.gif0311 Gen 5 Mitsubishi MMT 80 stiff

Irons 5-GW:  pxg-logo.gif.f353978c9ce9413281f838c1a44b4b8e.gifPXG Gen 3 0311T Steelfiber 115 

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 6’s gw 50.8, sw 56.8, lob 62.8)

Putter: :odyssey-small: O-Works Red Versa #7S slant neck

Ball:  vice golf.png Vice Pro bridgestone_logo.jpg.4e27c12bc4cae05babb1372e71a3f149.jpg RXS

7 hours ago, Gopokes14 said:

I see the point you are trying to make about proximity to the hole, but an old golf coach I used to play with gave me a great little formula for GIR. If you typically can 2 put 90 percent of the greens, you can reliably use this. I doubt anyone would 3 putt all 18 greens (40 putts) if they hit 14 greens in regulation, but I would argue that their biggest problem is not irons. It’s putting. If you can hit 14 greens you better be shooting in the 60s. 

# of GIR x 2 subtracted from 95 = your score (+/- 1 stroke) 

So, if you can hit 10 greens, you should shoot around 75 every time. Try it. It’s my goal to hit 5 on each side. I’m always amazed when it works out to my exact score. 

4 par 3s, maybe you hit 3?

4 par 5s maybe you hit 3?

10 par 4s left to hit the remaining 4? 

This formula seems very interesting to me. Where did the 95 come from that you use as the basis for this calc? 

On my last round I hit 12 greens and had no 3 putts (28 putts). Shot 73. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x