TESTERS WANTED! ×

best inexpensive starter set

jbsdaddy

so.....my son, 27 y/o, 6'2", AND  LEFT HANDED, has moved back home to Mississippi from Chicago, and he has expressed an interest in golf.

I don't know how serious he is, but i, of course, would love to get him out on the course with his mother and I.

My first instinct was to hand pick used equipment from my local shop, but we can't really afford that, and it's shut down due to the virus.

We can order a starter set, and/or the owner of our local shop said if we see his truck behind the shop to knock on the back door and he'll help us out.

So, my options are, Wilson or Callaway starter set at Academy, Top Flite at D####, or Tour Edge set at My local shop, if he's there.

Local courses are open, so we can play.

I've already scoured the FB marketplace and Craigslist; no good. I'm leery of ebay, but will look.

Any opinions? (What am I thinking, of course there will be opinions. So share them. And thank you.....)

ksted

• driver: Ping G410 plus
  • 3 wood: Ping G400
  • 5 wood: Ping G400
  • hybrid: Cobra F8
  • irons: Ping G400 4-gw
  • wedges: Ping G400 U 50, Cleveland RTX4 56, Zipcore 60
  • putter: Evnroll ER2
  • balls:  Srixon Q Star Tour/Titleist Tour Soft

I wouldn't be too leery of eBay.... just make sure that the seller has a high number of transactions and a 100 rating.

I can't imagine a better starter set than Ping. They are very forgiving and easy to hit. G30, G20 are both solid options. Callaway also makes good starter sets. The XR line is a good one.

Are you looking for a box set - or a set of woods, irons, wedges, putter ?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

i would prefer to let him try different wood, irons, putters in the store and choose what he likes, but that is out for 

the time being. Not sure how much he will want to play or if he will take to it.

thinking box set to start, and replace what needs to be upgraded as he needs. 

talked to my local shop guy and he said hell work on a set for me. we will see what he finds.

ksted

2 minutes ago, jbsdaddy said:

i would prefer to let him try different wood, irons, putters in the store and choose what he likes, but that is out for 

the time being. Not sure how much he will want to play or if he will take to it.

talked to my local shop guy and he said hell work on a set for me. we will see what he finds.

Having a local guy work on it makes sense. The difficulty he"ll or you face is lefty clubs. There isn't a lot of inventory out there for us so you may have to take what you can get. Once your son decides that he really wants to play more and can get a good set than the range of OEM's and clubs expands for him. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

3 minutes ago, jbsdaddy said:

Without knowing if you can't try them out what he likes or might work the best for him, it's difficult to pick out a set.  eBay is fine from reputable sellers, but at 6'2" he likely will need some club adjustments, length/lie.  If they don't fit him at least close, he might not have a good experience and quit.  Don't know what your budget is, but you should be able to get a good set for less than $500.  As @tony@CIC said, finding LH clubs is difficult, but you can also get really good deals sometimes.

If your local guy can put together a set and make adjustments, I think that's the way to go, and local golf businesses need a lot of help right now. Support local if you can.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm 6'2 and was fitted for a regular sized shaft because of how long my arms are, so I'd suggest using an online fitting app to get an idea I personally like Pings the best. As for used clubs I would suggest buying him a Sunday bag until we are back to normal. If it was me I'd get a driver, 3 wood, 7, 9, wedge and putter. Saves you some money unless you can get a great deal and gives him a nice intro for now. Then once we get back to normal he can go get a proper set from your local pro.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

If using a starter set it probably doesn’t matter pick whatever he likes best from looks.

It would be better imo for him to demo some clubs from different brands and maybe do a fitting then try to find a used set of same type of club within that brand. Example he fits and likes cobra sz irons he would probably be fine in the f9 or f8 irons from previous years with the same shaft.

same for driver

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Unless you go used, I think you would be hard pressed to beat this for a starter set.

https://www.costco.com/callaway-edge-10-piece-golf-club-set%2c-left-handed.product.100399423.html

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :callaway-small:                    

PXG 0211 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik 21* 7W
Taylormade RSi1 5 Iron
Taylormade RSi2 6-PW
Taylormade PSI 50*
Callaway Jaws 54* C Grind
Wilson Staff Infinite Southside
Maxfli Tour

53 minutes ago, SmoothG said:

Unless you go used, I think you would be hard pressed to beat this for a starter set.

https://www.costco.com/callaway-edge-10-piece-golf-club-set%2c-left-handed.product.100399423.html

That does look good.

I appreciate the time and effort that each of you has put into your replies. It is all valuable advice. 

I can't wait to get him started. I will show this thread to him and let him give his input as well. 

Thanks again....kevin

ksted

I like what most commenters are saying...

I too will suggest finding your best - lowest cost option. As I'm sure you're aware,  the drop-out (quitting) rate for beginners is very high.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Id go to Wal-Mart and get him a Nitro box set.  It would have everything he would need (bag, clubs) and should be under $300.  They wont be the greatest clubs in the world but would be fine for someone just starting out and in 2-3 years, if he decides that he likes golf and wants to invest in better clubs, he could and if he decides he doesnt like it, he isnt out that much money.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

As a lefty, I feel the pain of trying to find a starter set.

Something my dad did for me was he bought me a half set. It was a cheaper start into the game and also forced me to really work at only those seven clubs.

This is probably easier done at multiple local shops scouring through the used bin for a driver, 5 wood, 5, 7, 9 iron, a 56* wedge, and a putter. Perhaps that is something your local guy is able to do.

I have had success with purchasing from Ebay. I just make sure that the seller has a rating of 100 and has multiple transactions.

Other places you may want to check out, and they are always inventory pending but rockbottomgolf.com and 2ndswing.com

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

6 hours ago, jbsdaddy said:

That does look good.

I appreciate the time and effort that each of you has put into your replies. It is all valuable advice. 

I can't wait to get him started. I will show this thread to him and let him give his input as well. 

Thanks again....kevin

Rick Sheils review of the Callaway/Costco set:

Driver:    Titliest TSi3 - Tensei white stiff
Wood:   PING  G425 LST 14.5* - Tensei orange stiff
Hybrid:   PING  G425 19* - Tensei orange stiff
Irons:    PING i525 - Project X I/O 5.5 - 4-W
Wedges:     Taylormade MG3 52* and HiToe 56* Project X I/O 6.0
Putter:  TM Spider X HYDROBLAST (33", 3* upright)

Have you tried Pine meadow golf? I got my first set from them off amazon 5 years ago (lefty set is $189) and I broke 80 with them. Just gifted them to my brother in law when he caught the golf bug. Obviously they won’t be fitted, but you’re only out -$200 if he quits... but he’ll still need a putter. 

when my wife started playing, I got her a top flight set from Dicks ( she’s a lefty) just in case she quit: 2 months later she spent $200 on an odyssey putter and last year dropped $1200 on a set of Taylormade. Point is, once he’s hooked/improved you can spend the money to get a fitted set.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

9 hours ago, SmoothG said:

That's what I was going to recommend. Glad to see others are of a like mind. Well, at least one... LOL

Here's a video from the UK which plays and reviews the Callaway Edge boxed set. Definitely worth 20 minutes of your time if you're thinking of buying these. You're stuck indoors, so what else are you going to do instead of staring at the walls? 

Enjoy.

• 11 months later...

So, instead of getting a full set, another option is to really cut it down to just the "essential clubs" that someone might need to play. No sense in buying a full set of irons when beginner will only hit 2-3 irons out of the whole set. Here's another thought on the subject:

Driver

Hybrid (optional)

Mid-iron (a 6 or 7-iron)

Low-lofted wedge (Pitching wedge)

High-lofted wedge (56 or 60 degree)

Putter

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*