Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

In the zone

revkev

With the varying skill levels that we have here this could be very interesting and informative so let’s play,

You know you’re in the zone when....

For me it’s at least one of two things.

1. I’m not about mechanics when I swing during a round. (Basically see the shot, hit the s***)

2. My misses are playable - sometimes even reasonably good shots. (By this I’m not talking about 3 wood the grounder that rolls out 210 yards to the front of the green). By this I mean that 7 iron into the wind that I caught a few grooves down and towards the toe. To my partners, it looked fine, flighted down into the wind, carried the front bunker and ended up 25 feet right of the hole. But I knew it wasn’t flushed, not even close.

I’m curious to learn what the zone means for you.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

For me "in the zone" is when I am getting off the tee. I can scramble with the best of them but when I am getting off the tee and hitting fairways...I know I am going to get up and down. Staying in the zone is my issue sometimes.

Going to add a little something to this....Something that will take me "out of the zone" is looking at the scorecard after 9 and saying "oh wow I am playing great..."-1 or E whatever it may be. This will take me right out. Or after 15 "If i just go birdie, par, par I will shoot X"...round killer.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

25 minutes ago, revkev said:

1. I’m not about mechanics when I swing during a round. (Basically see the shot, hit the s***)

26 minutes ago, revkev said:

2. My misses are playable - sometimes even reasonably good shots

Rev you and me would probably end up in a playoff. You've always struck me as a guy that knows how to score. Guys like you make for a good - fun match. Wish you could join us tomorrow. 🏌️‍♂️

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Two of the times I’ve felt most in the zone have resulted in 4 birdies over 5 holes. Each of those times it was the approach shots into the green that had me feeling it.

Of course it starts with good drives. Which usually happens when I don’t try to over swing and crush it. From there I felt like I was attacking the pin and really dropping it right where I wanted and leaving a nice birdie putt.

My swing feels free and I usually have a pretty calm demeanor.

One other time I felt in the zone was during our league playoffs. I think I had gone par-par to start or something like that then had a bad hole on a par 5 where I picked up after a rules fiasco with one of my competitors (I wasn’t going to go back 200 yards into the next fairway to re-hit after I couldn’t find my ball and I didn’t want to slow play down). After that I shot par on every hole the rest of the way in. Same thing as before.... I was a little pissed off, but mostly calm and my putting was on fire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Rev you and me would probably end up in a playoff. You've always struck me as a guy that knows how to score. Guys like you make for a good - fun match. Wish you could join us tomorrow. 🏌️♂️

Wouldn’t that be nice! Of course we aren’t letting people in or out of Florida right now. :(

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

6 minutes ago, revkev said:

Wouldn’t that be nice! Of course we aren’t letting people in or out of Florida right now. 😞

Grab a boat cruise around 🤣🤣 (unless @PlaidJacket you're landlocked?)

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

The zone for me happens when I can avoid the left side of the course. I feel more comfortable hitting fades, and if I put myself on the left side of the course, there is usually a tree or something in the way. I don’t like to put myself in a “must hit a draw or else” position.

Swing wise, when the club feels light on the takeaway then I know I’m going to have a good day. Light as in almost can’t tell it is there.

I’m in the zone, like you, Rev, when I’m just swinging, not thinking about mechanics. Best example of this was last year at Barton Creek in Austin. Front 9 was nothing BUT swing thoughts, shot 49!. Back nine, I grabbed two beers at the turn, somehow got out of my head, then shot even!

The other very important part for me is getting into a playing rhythm. I’m not held-up by groups I’m with, or are ahead of us, I’m not spending time looking for other’s balls, etc. There has to be a consistent rhythm that I can get into. I can see how Pros that get “slow-played” in match-play can be taken advantage of, because I’m the same way.

Lastly, I’m a terrible putter. I rarely make anything over 6 feet, so, if I can somehow capture lightning in a bottle with a long putt going in, it can help me get a little pep in my step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I get "in the zone" most often while putting. I tried to describe it to a friend one time, and he thought I was crazy. When it happens, I swear I see a tracer on the green (like a video game) of what the ball will do. I wish it were like that all the time.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I'm in the zone when I can just play without being angry/upset from work.. stress and worry are the ruination of a round for me. 

I don't think about the right way to hit the ball... I just hit it. I don't over think a 160 yd. shot to the green from the fairway. I just hit the shot. I don't agonize over a 4' putt... I just put it in the hole. Golf is easy when I can play like that. Unfortunately, like most of us, I get in my own way of scoring well a lot of the time.

42 minutes ago, PMookie said:

I’m in the zone, like you, Rev, when I’m just swinging, not thinking about mechanics. Best example of this was last year at Barton Creek in Austin. Front 9 was nothing BUT swing thoughts, shot 49!. Back nine, I grabbed two beers at the turn, somehow got out of my head, then shot even!

The other very important part for me is getting into a playing rhythm. I’m not held-up by groups I’m with, or are ahead of us, I’m not spending time looking for other’s balls, etc. There has to be a consistent rhythm that I can get into. I can see how Pros that get “slow-played” in match-play can be taken advantage of, because I’m the same way.

Lastly, I’m a terrible putter. I rarely make anything over 6 feet, so, if I can somehow capture lightning in a bottle with a long putt going in, it can help me get a little pep in my step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Getting into a rhythm is huge, like nothing else matters and you are oblivious to everything else. This in the zone for lack of a better term lol. Putting plays a huge putt, nothing kills a mojo more than 3 or 4 putting from 10'

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

20 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

I get "in the zone" most often while putting. I tried to describe it to a friend one time, and he thought I was crazy. When it happens, I swear I see a tracer on the green (like a video game) of what the ball will do. I wish it were like that all the time.

Its awesome when you can get into this groove. When putting is almost automatic some days. 1 read and its like "thats the line" pace is right on point and it just feels like everything is draining.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

10 minutes ago, silver & black said:

I'm in the zone when I can just play without being angry/upset from work.. stress and worry are the ruination of a round for me. 

I don't think about the right way to hit the ball... I just hit it. I don't over think a 160 yd. shot to the green from the fairway. I just hit the shot. I don't agonize over a 4' putt... I just put it in the hole. Golf is easy when I can play like that. Unfortunately, like most of us, I get in my own way of scoring well a lot of the time.

Mental is everything (I suppose i could have taken my last 3 replies and put into 1) sorry all for the notification blasts coming your way!. I think thats why we all love the game, not only the physical aspect but its a sport that requires so much mental toughness that its a challenge in so many aspects.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

23 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

Yeah, there are time when I just KNOW a long putt is going to go in.  I can see the exact line and know I'm going to make it.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I was thinking about how to respond to this.

I've been in this 'zone' only a few times and couldn't put a finger on exactly what it was; I was doing some browsing around and think I found it.

Swing tempo is such a crucial and important component; you know how you see those players and you just say 'wow, what a swing' and you're not sure why it looks so graceful and smooth but it just does.... I'd guess it's the tempo - and the ability to consistently maintain that tempo.

I think that's what puts me "in the zone". I am able to get to this 3:1 ratio in my tempo and repeat it for a period of time.
Check out this article ... I found it really enlightening ... https://practical-golf.com/swing-tempo/

I am really tempted to try the app; has anyone tried this? http://www.tourtempo.com/golf-training-aids/golf-swing-tempo/tour-tempo-apps/

It's not cheap but I'm really intrigued.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I've been in this 'zone' only a few times and couldn't put a finger on exactly what it was; I was doing some browsing around and think I found it.
Swing tempo is such a crucial and important component; you know how you see those players and you just say 'wow, what a swing' and you're not sure why it looks so graceful and smooth but it just does.... I'd guess it's the tempo - and the ability to consistently maintain that tempo.
I think that's what puts me "in the zone". I am able to get to this 3:1 ratio in my tempo and repeat it for a period of time.
Check out this article ... I found it really enlightening ... https://practical-golf.com/swing-tempo/

I am really tempted to try the app; has anyone tried this? http://www.tourtempo.com/golf-training-aids/golf-swing-tempo/tour-tempo-apps/

Best swing advice my dad ever gave me was “tempo Bryan, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2.” The first 1 2 3. Was going back. Then 1 to the ball. And 2 to finish the follow through. If I’m ever off I try to go back to that in my head.

I think you’re onto something Stroker!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know we had a number of guys on here who swore by this five or six years ago. I’m not great at searching old threads but you should be able to drag it up.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Good question (per usual) @revkev. This is a good exercise, and probably one that I should do more often to really reflect on what I was thinking and feeling on the course after a good round to help ingrain those positive emotions. I used to have a bad habit of dwelling too long on the negative and trying to figure out what to fix.

What I find for my game is that to get, "in the zone," I need to be confident in my next shot. I find in my game that if I am dwelling too much about what went wrong with the previous shot, or am too amped up about a good shot, that I'm not able to give the proper focus to the shot in front of me.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I’ve thought about this since the first post. I can’t specifically think of anything but when I am in the zone I don’t really think about anything golf or swing related. Yesterday was a good example. I was 1 under through 7. 8 I hand a fried egg and left the ball in the bunker started Thinking about the next bunker shot and while I got out it wasn’t A good shot. Next hole I had a difficult chip which I thought about and hit it thin.

So when I am in the zone golf just happens with no swing thoughts. I assess the shot, make a decision, and execute. I am able to move to the next shot and not worry about the result (good or bad) and move forward.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG