TESTERS WANTED! ×

Anyone have experience with Honma?

Tpoole22

Ever since Justin Rose signed with Honma I've been seeing ads everywhere and I like the look of the clubs but they are priced pretty high. I don't think that I've ever seen anyone with them so I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone using them.

They are good clubs and like many overseas brands they are higher end. You cane find previous releases for a good price. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Ever since Justin Rose signed with Honma I've been seeing ads everywhere and I like the look of the clubs but they are priced pretty high. I don't think that I've ever seen anyone with them so I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone using them.

I have the new TR20 460 driver and I love it! I went through a fitting for irons a few months ago, and the new irons weren’t out yet, but the T World 747V were the winning iron. I didn’t buy the irons due to getting Z785 for cost, but the irons are legit. I hit all of the new stuff during my driver fitting, and this year’s irons are better than the previous ones. I’d highly recommend doing a fitting. Great stuff.

The new irons are $1200, which is right there with everyone else’s irons right now!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Thanks for the help! I've been looking at the TR20 and really want to go test it out when shops open back up. How did it compare to Callaway, Taylormade, etc as far as forgiveness and distance?

Not even close... For me. Longer and straighter, by far, than my Epic Flash Sub Zero. Speed across the face was a huge improvement over Flash SZ, and like the rep said in the fitting, Flash SZ is good on dead-center hits, but not great when you miss one. I’ll be honest, the driver isn’t cheap if you have to get an non-stock shaft. I tried everything he had to try and keep the cost down, but it was night-and-day with the Ventus vs stock. After 2 1/2 rounds with it so far, I’ll say it’s worth it! 11/13 fairways last Saturday..... And BOMBS. I posted the pics of the yardages in the “How’d You Play” thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am playing a set of Honma TW-X irons 5-11 iron with TW wedges as well. The shafts are Aerotech i110cw stiff with Golf Pride CP2 grips. They are great irons, I had much better results with them than other distance irons such as TM P790. The TM gave me numerous jumpers which the TW-X did not and the Honma gave me much the same distance but with a slightly higher trajectory and more spin for great stopping power. I am also playing the Honma 19 degree hybrid with a Paderson Balistic Hut30 shaft which I love, can hit it high or low with shape, great for coming into the green on long par 4s.

Edited by BigM

:taylormade-small: M5 9° Driver Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3 Wood VA Raijin 74 Four

:taylormade-small: SIM Max 5 Wood  Fuji Ventus Blue 6 Stiff

:honma: 19° 3 Hybrid Patterson Balistic Hut30

:honma: TW-X Irons Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S

:honma:TW Wedges 54°/60° Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S

:odyssey-small: EXO Putter

• 3 weeks later...

I ma playing the 747v with nippon stiff shats. I have great control with them, great feel with the forged heads. The spin is so impressive also. Nothing bad to say about them.

Srixon Z765, Myazaki Stiff

Srixon F65 3 Wood Myazaki Stiff

Srixon H85 2 Hybrid 17* Stiff Hzrdus

Srixon H45 4 Hybrid 22* Kuro Kage Stiff

Honma 747v Nippon stiff shaft 4-10

Ping Stealth 2.0 50,54,58

Cleveland Huntington Beach 11

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2020 at 9:55 PM, PMookie said:

I have the new TR20 460 driver and I love it! I went through a fitting for irons a few months ago, and the new irons weren’t out yet, but the T World 747V were the winning iron. I didn’t buy the irons due to getting Z785 for cost, but the irons are legit. I hit all of the new stuff during my driver fitting, and this year’s irons are better than the previous ones. I’d highly recommend doing a fitting. Great stuff.

The new irons are $1200, which is right there with everyone else’s irons right now!

So I actually just won a Honma fitting experience and since I've never been fitted before I was hoping you could give me some tips on questions to ask the fitter.

So I actually just won a Honma fitting experience and since I've never been fitted before I was hoping you could give me some tips on questions to ask the fitter.

Take your club/clubs, you’ll hit that/those first. From that they’ll ask you questions about your miss, what you’re looking to accomplish, etc. Make sure, if you’re potentially interested in buying a club, or clubs, to let them know if you have a monetary limit so they can pick shafts accordingly.
I really didn’t have many questions until we started trying things. They should be asking most of the questions to start. I usually let them just see what I’m doing and let them make the changes. I might ask about the shaft, or the setting on the driver head if I saw a change in ball flight, etc. I definitely let them know right away if I don’t like something either by the feel, or performance, etc. They’re there for you, not you there for them. Don’t hesitate to hit something again if you want to go back to a head or shaft...
When you’re done, make sure you get two things:
A copy of the Trackman/GC Quad report sent to your email, and all of the specific specs for the clubs that they came-up with.
I’m headed to one Friday and I can’t wait.

10 hours ago, PMookie said:

Take your club/clubs, you’ll hit that/those first. From that they’ll ask you questions about your miss, what you’re looking to accomplish, etc. Make sure, if you’re potentially interested in buying a club, or clubs, to let them know if you have a monetary limit so they can pick shafts accordingly.
I really didn’t have many questions until we started trying things. They should be asking most of the questions to start. I usually let them just see what I’m doing and let them make the changes. I might ask about the shaft, or the setting on the driver head if I saw a change in ball flight, etc. I definitely let them know right away if I don’t like something either by the feel, or performance, etc. They’re there for you, not you there for them. Don’t hesitate to hit something again if you want to go back to a head or shaft...
When you’re done, make sure you get two things:
A copy of the Trackman/GC Quad report sent to your email, and all of the specific specs for the clubs that they came-up with.
I’m headed to one Friday and I can’t wait.

I appreciate the tips Im pretty excited to finally get the chance to try out the tr20 irons and driver. Are you looking to switch out the srixons for the tr20 irons?

I appreciate the tips Im pretty excited to finally get the chance to try out the tr20 irons and driver. Are you looking to switch out the srixons for the tr20 irons?

Yes. We’ll see, though. In looking back at the grid in my fitting Trackman report, I’m hitting the Srixons just as it showed in the fitting, left. When I ordered them they were choice number three, and I didn’t go back and look at the report to see the dispersion. I’ve come to know the Honma rep well, so we’re going to look at the TR20V and see if I can get dispersion where I want it. I told him I’m not coming for distance, I just want a tight dispersion circle. Between selling the Srixons, three shafts, and two fairway heads, I’ll be within $225, so that’s cheaper than re-shafting the Zs through Srixon.