TESTERS WANTED! ×

Prototype Xcaliber Rapid Taper irons.

Popeye64

From time to time I get to hit some prototype shafts from Xcaliber golf. This is a shaft that has been in the works for quite awhile. A concept that Robin Arthur refused to give up on.

Think of a bull whip that's fat at the handle and skinny the rest of the way down. How when snapped, the transfer of energy is dramatic. Well he pulled that off with an iron shaft.

The 75g version has been in circulation and testing for a while and its creating a lot of buzz to anyone who has hit them. It's an oh Wow moment.. HEY,, this is different and it works. What's strange is the shaft seems to fit a very broad spectrum of hitters. From a low 90 mph swing to high 120s. Robin has never seen a shaft that works for so many different golfers in one flex.

But that's not what blew me away today. I have a 75g Rapid Taper, a Tour X 85g and a brand new 95G Rapid taper. The 95 has not been hit by anyone till today. I have them all with a Maltby PTM 6 iron.

After a brief warm up with my gamer TS-2 6 iron. I swapped over to the 95 Rapid Taper. It was a revelation. After three balls I was in sort of a shock. I had never hit such a smooth, crisp and near perfect feeling club. Launch was high but not in a ballooning way... it just soared out there. All three felt as good as the first. I dropped the 95 and wanted to see if I had that same feeling with 75.... then the 85... both great clubs and the 75 Rapid taper has just been amazing. But this 95 was blow me away good. I hit a lot of different equipment and this is something special.

The 75g has proven to pick up ball speed by 3-5 mph on every tester. It loads and releases unlike any other golf club. The technology flat out works. But this 95 is just a whole other level for me.

More samples are on thier way but Xcaliber golf has really got something in this shaft.

In two weeks I'm hoping I can get into a simulator and get some data. Previous data on the 75 has shown big gains in distance with great dispersion. Spin is also excellent. I'm dying to see the numbers on the 95. Hitting these three today I was outside at a closed range with my own shag balls. A worthy donation in discovering such a shaft. Now I'm gonna go crazy waiting for the other samples to show up.

The 95 has the cosmetics with the white rings. That will not be the final scheme. It was just something the shaft manufacturer was tinkering with.

20200415_100623.jpg20200415_161157.jpg20200415_164000.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I have been following your reviews referencing this shaft. Very much want to purchase a couple of the 75 gram shafts and test. Have played XCaliber shafts on/off for many years(mainly FW shafts). To date have never had as much success as I had with that  classic rt spin wedge. I had a Wishon wedge/xcaliber spin wedge shaft that I wore out several years ago. Have never been able to duplicate the spin I got from that particular combo. These new iron RT models look good. 

I have been following your reviews referencing this shaft. Very much want to purchase a couple of the 75 gram shafts and test. Have played XCaliber shafts on/off for many years(mainly FW shafts). To date have never had as much success as I had with that  classic rt spin wedge. I had a Wishon wedge/xcaliber spin wedge shaft that I wore out several years ago. Have never been able to duplicate the spin I got from that particular combo. These new iron RT models look good. 
It will be sometime in June before they will reach retail.
I have been testing a 95g version that has been just as good but being more stable for a big hitter.
A stiffer version of the 95 just showed up as well as an R Flex 75g shaft. So I have a ton of testing to do next week. Anyone who has hit these is just blown away by the performance and especially the feel.
Driver shaft testing has been ongoing and its still in development. But these iron shafts will be huge.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

This is really interesting, a Tour X for a graphite iron shaft always is of interest to me. I love the Steelfiber but they are just so expensive 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

In testing I had a tour caliber player who is on staff with Taylormade hit the 95g with a Maltby 6 iron PTM. Below is a snap shot of what he was doing again and again. They were laser straight.
So I'm not sure how the stiffer version will work out. The 95 like the 75 seems to cover an extremely wide set of swing types. But a true X flex, tour swing ready version in 95 g is ready for the test gauntlet. 20200509_130829.jpg

From time to time I get to hit some prototype shafts from Xcaliber golf. This is a shaft that has been in the works for quite awhile. A concept that Robin Arthur refused to give up on.
Think of a bull whip that's fat at the handle and skinny the rest of the way down. How when snapped, the transfer of energy is dramatic. Well he pulled that off with an iron shaft.
The 75g version has been in circulation and testing for a while and its creating a lot of buzz to anyone who has hit them. It's an oh Wow moment.. HEY,, this is different and it works. What's strange is the shaft seems to fit a very broad spectrum of hitters. From a low 90 mph swing to high 120s. Robin has never seen a shaft that works for so many different golfers in one flex.
But that's not what blew me away today. I have a 75g Rapid Taper, a Tour X 85g and a brand new 95G Rapid taper. The 95 has not been hit by anyone till today. I have them all with a Maltby PTM 6 iron.
After a brief warm up with my gamer TS-2 6 iron. I swapped over to the 95 Rapid Taper. It was a revelation. After three balls I was in sort of a shock. I had never hit such a smooth, crisp and near perfect feeling club. Launch was high but not in a ballooning way... it just soared out there. All three felt as good as the first. I dropped the 95 and wanted to see if I had that same feeling with 75.... then the 85... both great clubs and the 75 Rapid taper has just been amazing. But this 95 was blow me away good. I hit a lot of different equipment and this is something special.
The 75g has proven to pick up ball speed by 3-5 mph on every tester. It loads and releases unlike any other golf club. The technology flat out works. But this 95 is just a whole other level for me.
More samples are on thier way but Xcaliber golf has really got something in this shaft.
In two weeks I'm hoping I can get into a simulator and get some data. Previous data on the 75 has shown big gains in distance with great dispersion. Spin is also excellent. I'm dying to see the numbers on the 95. Hitting these three today I was outside at a closed range with my own shag balls. A worthy donation in discovering such a shaft. Now I'm gonna go crazy waiting for the other samples to show up.

The 95 has the cosmetics with the white rings. That will not be the final scheme. It was just something the shaft manufacturer was tinkering with.

20200415_100623.jpg.9e87e336656c11870c5dfe4871eac023.jpg20200415_161157.jpg.dc1c810dd3bae00f764a3b1edb9c36eb.jpg20200415_164000.jpg.beca8bb5b112a64bcc7b03ad6410b5c1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Nothing for irons and low trajectory, correct?

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

9 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

In testing I had a tour caliber player who is on staff with Taylormade hit the 95g with a Maltby 6 iron PTM. Below is a snap shot of what he was doing again and again. They were laser straight.
So I'm not sure how the stiffer version will work out. The 95 like the 75 seems to cover an extremely wide set of swing types. But a true X flex, tour swing ready version in 95 g is ready for the test gauntlet. 20200509_130829.jpg

Those numbers are just gross to look at at 🙂

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Nothing for irons and low trajectory, correct?
From what I've seen in testing these will not be a low flying setup. With that said there may be some true x flexs down the road and with the driver shafts the stiffer flex really knock down spin numbers. So maybe that will translate into some of the heavier versions of irons. Oncourse testing everyone has stated how perfect the flight is. It doesn't balloon, seems to go right through the wind and they still come down soft. To the vast majority they will not be looking for a lower flight. With this geometry and how they react through the ball a low flight just might not be possible. I have hit knockdowns with good results. But I'm not sure I could hit a stinger.
From the fairway I have been specifically hitting the 4 iron as much as possible. Its turned into a club I can almost walk out and place it where it would land. In that aspect watching the way the ball flies,, its a thing of beauty.
With testing next week I should have full use of the flightscope. So maybe I'll be able to post full data on whats going on. Worst case ill take the Skytrack outdoors and crunch the numbers.
For the players that have hit them.. they are going crazy having to wait for a full set to be put in play.

From what I've seen in testing these will not be a low flying setup. With that said there may be some true x flexs down the road and with the driver shafts the stiffer flex really knock down spin numbers. So maybe that will translate into some of the heavier versions of irons. Oncourse testing everyone has stated how perfect the flight is. It doesn't balloon, seems to go right through the wind and they still come down soft. To the vast majority they will not be looking for a lower flight. With this geometry and how they react through the ball a low flight just might not be possible. I have hit knockdowns with good results. But I'm not sure I could hit a stinger.
From the fairway I have been specifically hitting the 4 iron as much as possible. Its turned into a club I can almost walk out and place it where it would land. In that aspect watching the way the ball flies,, its a thing of beauty.
With testing next week I should have full use of the flightscope. So maybe I'll be able to post full data on whats going on. Worst case ill take the Skytrack outdoors and crunch the numbers.
For the players that have hit them.. they are going crazy having to wait for a full set to be put in play.

Thanks for the info. I’m definitely not in the majority, so that’s why I asked if he has anything for irons to hit a lower trajectory, not referring to these ones. I’m a high ball hitter, so I don’t need additional help with that.
Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Thanks for the info. I’m definitely not in the majority, so that’s why I asked if he has anything for irons to hit a lower trajectory, not referring to these ones. I’m a high ball hitter, so I don’t need additional help with that.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Pro X which is an upgraded Tour X I would call a mid-high flight. By nature few if any graphite can be built for a lower flight. I would assume you like the Dynamic Golds in an X100? Or some of the more robust KBS shafts?

• 2 weeks later...

Today i put together a 2 FDI hybrid with 75g Rapid Taper. Man I cannot believe how well I can hit it. A 19° iron style hybrid is something I usually can't get along with. I was hiting this with ease.
I let 4 others hit it at the ramge and they all said how great the feel was. 19° is an aggressive club, but they all seemed to do quite well with it.. But how this shaft works on a fat shot is just weird. Whether its fat or crisply hit it doeant seem to matter. The ball just gets launched. I can't explain how this shaft can get away with it but it does. Its not just me either. I watched the other players and poor contact produced nearly the same results.
Wasn't sure i was going to like this club.. but I do! 20200530_193654.jpg20200530_191424.jpg20200530_191420.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working with other Rapid Taper designs and the latest star is the Rapid Taper driver shaft. It took a ton of different variations of trimming to find a good balance of feel and performance.
Like the iron shafts, it loads and releases in a truly pleasing type of way. Mis-hits do surprisingly well. I can tell just where the head is at all times. As the prototypes have more and more tip trimming the spin numbers were dropping quickly but you would lose feel.
This version is a 52" blank tip trimmed 3". I have it in a Taylormade Sim 9.0 head and have to say it's been the most consistent driver I've had in a long time. Being a 9.0 is not a driver loft i would usually turn to. A 10.5 is my number but this launches quite well.
I have another player who is an X flex guy and he loves the 52-4" version.
Dispersion has been a true strong point. At the range the spead of shots has been impressive. I have many combinations of driver head and shaft at the house and can't find anything that comes close. I put it up against 3 other brands of shaft and every combination of KE4 TC and ISO-T I have. Dispersion and distance could not be matched.
These specs are being used for a High Modulus carbon fiber version being built now. That will reduce the weight. Most prototypes came in at high 60-70g weight. But with this design you don't feel the weight. It will be very interesting to see what a 50 g version will do.
20200609_215024.jpg

I just ordered  one of my all time favorite wedge shafts ( Classic RT Spin Wedge Golf Shaft ) today but didn't see any of the new RT-75's proto-type shafts available  . Maybe they'll be on the Xcaliber site soon. Getting jealous reading all these post  . 
Since you enjoy the Spin Wedge you should really enjoy the Rt-75 irons shafts. I was testing the 75s with a mid 80 mph swing and the performance was pretty surprising. Smash factor was nearly 1.4.
Shafts are being produced now, schedule is way behind at the factory.

Since you enjoy the Spin Wedge you should really enjoy the Rt-75 irons shafts. I was testing the 75s with a mid 80 mph swing and the performance was pretty surprising. Smash factor was nearly 1.4.
Shafts are being produced now, schedule is way behind at the factory.

Thank you

Sent from my SM-N960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have built out a few sets of these already and the customers are smitten with them. They just can't stop talking about how they feel.
My personal set has been something I have wanted to do for quite a while. A multi weighted set.
Using all stiff shafts and Hogan PTX PROs 4-PW. I have the 95g weighted shafts in the PW-9. The 85g in the 8-6. The 75g in the 5-4.
What this has done is allow the clubs to sort of work in different classes. The CPM of all three flexs are identical and the consistency out of the factory has exceeded specs.
The 75g in the long irons are easy to launch. An easy, fluid swing produces these epic shots that really go a long way. The 4 iron out of the tee box is simply majestic. Its a higher shot but does not balloon. I am routinely getting 220 yards from it.
The 85g in the 8-6 produces a slightly more boring flight. A little more stability with the added weight. It allows me to have added distance yet still maintain a tight control. Spin rates are higher but far from being too spinny. These truly bite.
The 95g are control freaks. They have been exceptional with knock down shots or full swings. That needed lower flight that short irons demand for control. Spin that just dances on the green but doesn't suck back off the front. Knock downs that bounce forward twice and stop dead.
Then there is that always present feeling of load and release that makes these shafts feel so unique. Its addictive in the best way possible.
Getting to know these clubs has been the most fun I've had in golf in a long time. They just keep getting better the more I discover on what they like.
A long easy swing is something these clubs love. Yet when you get after them they just respond in a way that is wildly pleasing.
This set has multiple personalities yet they all seamlessly blend together. As some of you may know I hit a lot of different gear. Now... I may have found my perfect recipe for a set make up and I've tried everything under the sun.
So much fun.
The all black ones are my personal set. The others are all 95g S in PTM chromes. 20200820_222816.jpg20200828_073135.jpg

Have you had any slower swingers try this shaft?  I swing the driver in the mid to high 80's and am wondering if the 75's would be a possible fit.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Yes i have. An 80 yo has been testing a 75g R flex with excellent results. He gained almost 10 yards and is launching the ball much higher. I am going to send him a 75 A flex now that I have one.
The 75g shaft will work well for you.
Do you normally play an R flex or an A?

I have a couple of sets of irons, Mizuno HMBs with regular flex Recoil ESX 460 and a set of Mavrik Max's with the senior flex Catalyst shaft.  The senior flex seem to work better, but the club head is so much more forgiving on the Mavriks that it is hard to say that a regular wouldn't also give me good results.  When swinging well, my tempo is pretty smooth with a slowish backswing.  What's the retail price of the Rapid Tapers?

14 of the following:

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

@Popeye64 do you know when they'll be shown on the website? I'm seriously thinking of getting one in S flex and throwing a DBM head on it for testing.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

[mention=75887]Popeye64[/mention] do you know when they'll be shown on the website? I'm seriously thinking of getting one in S flex and throwing a DBM head on it for testing.
The IT crew working on getting these on the web site are mindblowing in how slow they are. Its been extremely frustrating at why these are not online.
Hopefully there will be a spot soon where you can order single shafts from the website. This is a shaft that has to be experienced. I am sure some of you have read other reviews and know how well these are working for a broad crossection of golfers.
I want to get these out to as many golfers as I can. The feel and performance is like puring a shot over and over again. That center of the club face of a pure blade strike. So many people have Hit these and then looked up with a weird look on their face not knowing what just happened. Then mumbling about feel and hitting another ball.
You can pm me and I can get shafts to you now, but I do recommend buying two to do one long iron and one short.

I want to develop a demo iron program similar to what Ben Hogan golf is doing. Sending out test clubs for a 10 day trial. Working on the details. Hope to have that in place by months end.

Great idea on the demo program!

14 of the following:

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

19 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

The IT crew working on getting these on the web site are mindblowing in how slow they are. Its been extremely frustrating at why these are not online.
Hopefully there will be a spot soon where you can order single shafts from the website. This is a shaft that has to be experienced. I am sure some of you have read other reviews and know how well these are working for a broad crossection of golfers.
I want to get these out to as many golfers as I can. The feel and performance is like puring a shot over and over again. That center of the club face of a pure blade strike. So many people have Hit these and then looked up with a weird look on their face not knowing what just happened. Then mumbling about feel and hitting another ball.
You can pm me and I can get shafts to you now, but I do recommend buying two to do one long iron and one short.

I want to develop a demo iron program similar to what Ben Hogan golf is doing. Sending out test clubs for a 10 day trial. Working on the details. Hope to have that in place by months end.

Thank you very much mate. I'll marinate a bit on the shaft offer but can see your point on getting two.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

23 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

I love the idea of a demo program! I have never tested the shafts but have only heard excellent things about all the shafts in the line

In my bag:

I love the idea of a demo program! I have never tested the shafts but have only heard excellent things about all the shafts in the line
I believe I will do it with the PTM 6 iron heads. I already have a decent collection of them. Probably wouldn't have to pick up too many more of them.
I could also do an A flex with the SGI 890 head in a 7 iron.

• 2 weeks later...