TESTERS WANTED! ×

Prototype Xcaliber Rapid Taper irons.

Popeye64

Demos available
Ts-2 6 I. 1- 75 S 1- 75 R
M890 8 I. 1 75 A
TS-1 7i. 1- 95 S. 1- 75 S
PTM 6i. 1- 95 S ss 1- 95 S 1- 95 R 1- 75 S.
PTM black 7i 1- 75 S ss, 9i 1- 95 S ss.

Basically $20 to demo a single club. Includes shipping to you. Shipping back is on you. 7 days to test

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2020 at 10:50 AM, Popeye64 said:

Demos available
Ts-2 6 I. 1- 75 S 1- 75 R
M890 8 I. 1 75 A
TS-1 7i. 1- 95 S. 1- 75 S
PTM 6i. 1- 95 S ss 1- 95 S 1- 95 R 1- 75 S.
PTM black 7i 1- 75 S ss, 9i 1- 95 S ss.

Basically $20 to demo a single club. Includes shipping to you. Shipping back is on you. 7 days to test

Your RTs are all black? The ones online are grey and red. How do I get the all black version?

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

Your RTs are all black? The ones online are grey and red. How do I get the all black version?
Mine are all samples so the samples were just black.
Down the road I'm hoping that a special addition all black or a matte black will be done. If for nothing else ill be ordering some for myself.
So for right now its just the Silver ion with the rings and logo. At first I was not a fan but the design has more than grown on me. Plus in person people really seem to like it. The sets I have built with the painted shafts i have yet to have anyone say anything negative about them in person.

Popeye built a 6 iron for me with the painted shaft and it’s pretty classy looking in person. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Finally got a chance to play around more seriously with the 75g Rapid Taper from @Popeye64 that I put into a Cobra SpeedZone 4 iron head. With the Arccos Smart Grip the club came out to 39.75" and D2 swingweight with no additional head weight.

The few times I swung the club over the past weeks I really struggled adjusting to the light weight, but in taking Brian's advice you really do need to let the shaft and club do the work. I liked the feel of the shaft/head combo, and it looks like it's going to be the perfect driving iron good for 210-220 carry on my best shots. I really liked how I could hit a full, high-launching shot (likely thanks to the SpeedZone head), but also work some lower launching shots that would be great into the wind.

After my initial experiences I thought the club might lose out to my Tour Edge 3 iron with a UST Mamiya Recoil shaft, but I really, really like and need the higher launch of the SpeedZone head. So for now the goal is to get really deadly with the combination over my winter practice sessions. It could really stand to be about a half inch shorter, but I think I'll just play it choked up a bit unless I get the itch to chop it down and re-weight the head.

If I ever go graphite in my irons, I'd definitely look hard at the 95-gram RTs. 

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Finally got a chance to play around more seriously with the 75g Rapid Taper from [mention=75887]Popeye64[/mention] that I put into a Cobra SpeedZone 4 iron head. With the Arccos Smart Grip the club came out to 39.75" and D2 swingweight with no additional head weight.
The few times I swung the club over the past weeks I really struggled adjusting to the light weight, but in taking Brian's advice you really do need to let the shaft and club do the work. I liked the feel of the shaft/head combo, and it looks like it's going to be the perfect driving iron good for 210-220 carry on my best shots. I really liked how I could hit a full, high-launching shot (likely thanks to the SpeedZone head), but also work some lower launching shots that would be great into the wind.
After my initial experiences I thought the club might lose out to my Tour Edge 3 iron with a UST Mamiya Recoil shaft, but I really, really like and need the higher launch of the SpeedZone head. So for now the goal is to get really deadly with the combination over my winter practice sessions. It could really stand to be about a half inch shorter, but I think I'll just play it choked up a bit unless I get the itch to chop it down and re-weight the head.
If I ever go graphite in my irons, I'd definitely look hard at the 95-gram RTs. 
These are so unique that it does take a little bit to see what they like. So many people talk about the second range sessions as being OMG moments.
These clubs are really starting to gain traction especially with club builders who are just learning about them. The versatility of the 75g shafts are freakish. Wait a year and these shafts will be everywhere.

I will be testing a sub 60g driver shaft next week that has speced out better than imagined. Hoping its a revelation like the 75g shafts. Time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I play standard length with my steel shaft. For example, if my standard length for my 7 iron length is 37. Back in the day graphite standard length required an additional 1/2 inch to standard lenght. 

What is the standard length on a 7 iron with RTI shaft?

On 5/1/2021 at 6:14 PM, Ace329 said:

I play standard length with my steel shaft. For example, if my standard length for my 7 iron length is 37. Back in the day graphite standard length required an additional 1/2 inch to standard lenght. 

What is the standard length on a 7 iron with RTI shaft?

If your standard length for steel was 37 you would add a 1/2" for the Rapid Tapers. Same as any graphite shaft.

• 2 months later...

Popeye love your write ups on this shaft. I had a short conversation with Brian at Xcaliber and I am really close to pulling the trigger. I am considering the 85 gram version. How much tip weights did you have to use on the shorter irons or using your method of 75 long, 85 mid and 95 short is a better way to go? Thanks

On 7/10/2021 at 2:45 PM, br2813 said:

Popeye love your write ups on this shaft. I had a short conversation with Brian at Xcaliber and I am really close to pulling the trigger. I am considering the 85 gram version. How much tip weights did you have to use on the shorter irons or using your method of 75 long, 85 mid and 95 short is a better way to go? Thanks

Sorry I missed this post. On the shorter irons I was only using 2 g tip weights with the 95 g shafts and some were not weighted at all. I have found these shafts for me love a D2 in the short irons. That is very easy to maintain with the 95g and the short irons and I will let it get up to D3 if it wants to. I'm also careful to not buy heavy weight grips. 

Going with the three weights I will allow the Swing weight of the long irons to stay D0 and let them slowly grow down the the short irons. It's a poor man's MOI build. Going lighter to heavier in the swingweight promotes an easy swing with the long irons. It seems to cure one of the biggest faults with a long iron and that's swinging too hard. 

The biggest thing with these shafts is finding your sweet spot with flex. When you do so its just pure bliss. It's hard to explain till you feel it. 

For the last seven years I have been working in a retail golf shop and built very few clubs from scratch. I've used constant weight shafts that seems like forever. As I am using NS Pro 95 NEO r in a set of P790s. Over the years I have built pseudo MOI matched sets either by head weights and/or 3/8 difference in length and find that I like the 5 and 6 irons in D0 and wedges around D2 or 3 so I'm thinking 75 in the 5-6, 85 7-P, 95 A-54,58. Cant wait.  Thanks again for sharing.

On 7/17/2021 at 12:39 PM, br2813 said:

For the last seven years I have been working in a retail golf shop and built very few clubs from scratch. I've used constant weight shafts that seems like forever. As I am using NS Pro 95 NEO r in a set of P790s. Over the years I have built pseudo MOI matched sets either by head weights and/or 3/8 difference in length and find that I like the 5 and 6 irons in D0 and wedges around D2 or 3 so I'm thinking 75 in the 5-6, 85 7-P, 95 A-54,58. Cant wait.  Thanks again for sharing.

I am building three sets of Maverick Irons right now in the 75, 85 ,95, 100(spin wedge) set up. Just waiting on some appropriate ferrules to finish them off. I'll post up when I get them built. 

I've been playing a set of Hogan Ptx Pros this last week and I'm loving the scores ice been posting. 

Home course I put up back to back -2. Then played two serious away courses Jack Frost National and Lederach. Shot 76, 77 with some holes that my wedges turned into shank machines both days. ( both mid round, three holes in a row.) 

This shot is from a 5 iron from 195. It stopped in less than a foot. Launch, spin and flight are near perfect. I just need to sink more putts. 

20210719_172812.jpg

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

Xcaliber will be haunting all shipping. Loss of key personnel has forced a changed of locations. 

I don't expect this to last longer than two weeks. 

Haunting? I guess we are getting close to Halloween season, after all, the pumpkin spice everything is out. 😉

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Late last month I had received some 105g prototype Rapid Tapers. 

There has been a lot of people asking for a heavier version. Usually scratch golfers or someone with a monster swing speed. Plus if these are ever going to make a tour a heavy weight version is a must. 

The 105g shaft was fairly easy to have made as the length of the taper was simply stretched the same distance gap that the 75, 85 and 95 already have. Each being progressively longer. Wound to the same frequency readings as well. Setup time at the factory was shockingly quick.

My initial thoughts were one of even more stability without losing that smooth feel. Also the load and release sensation was still there. After a quick range trip and data session, they showed nearly identical Launch and spin characteristics vs the lighter shafts. Such so that I couldn't differentiate which was which. But some thoughts on how they felt compared to identically prepared 85g and 95g clubs. Swinging the three back to back over a good 50 swings I felt like the 105s could wear me out. I felt like I was laboring a bit with the 105s yet swing speed and ball speed numbers were identical. When tired you can really feel the extra weight even though its ony a 10 g jump.... Onto the course.

I had these shafts into Maltby TS-1 heads. 6 iron 7 iron and GW. The rest of the set was 95g shafts. During the course of the round I tried to seamlessly play my clubs without favoring a gamer vs the prototype. 

Every time I hit the heavier shaft the playing partners gave an audible oohh and aaahhh. The shafts were just launching a piercing, straight on target dart. Great feel through the wet turf and solid feedback on where the club head was. I even hit a few that I didn't think were that great yet they were dead online. 

Not swinging club after club as in a range session the extra weight was of no concern. But as a side note, I don't think I want the 105g shaft in anything longer than say the 6 and even maybe stopping at the 7. 

My initial thoughts were so positive that another 25 prototypes almost ready to ship for testing across the country. 

This weight option will be a perfect blend for a stronger player mixing weights or just a full set. 

December should be fun as more testing continues. 

If you haven't hit these yet, you don't know the unique feel and performance you are missing. They are not a miracle shaft but they do open a lot of eyes. 

20211116_204413.jpg

I'd intended to wait a bit to figure out what I was doing, but the black Friday sale got me; I bought a full set of RT95s that I'll put in something or another.

I may even spring for a couple TS1 heads to pair with Wood Bros blades and my HMB 2i.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

• 2 weeks later...

So my initial testing of the 105g shafts is over. 

The 105 shaft paired with the TS-1 heads is a sublime setup. The control and feel with the Pw and Gw were outstanding. Distance control was instinctive. Dial up a number and let it go. I've tested so many setups over the years but this wedge pairing is unreal for me. I've never hit anything better for short game control. 85 yards and in is almost automatic. 

The extra weight of the shafts make for an iron that you can just let fall to start the swing. The stability of the club is so confidence inspiring. Distance is gained with such ease. But with that extra weight I wouldn't want to play these in anything past a 6 iron. Even with that said I'll probably stop at the 7. You would have to be a really strong player to benefit having the 105g shafts in the entire set. 

I have the 4-6 TS-2 with the 95g Rapid Tapers and its a perfect for me pairing. 

I'm also tinkering with some new looks on the Rapid Tapers. Work in progress 

IMG_20211212_170721_428.jpg

IMG_20211212_170721_396.jpg

20211212_150503.jpg

20211212_150238.jpg

20211212_164033.jpg

Edited by Popeye64

• 2 weeks later...

There is such a demand for the Matte Black that I'm going to put in as big of an order as I can. 

I have the Matte Black 105g shafts in some Hogan ICON heads. It's such a slick looking build. I'm not sure if I like hitting them or looking at them more. 

Probably the best feeling club I've ever hit. That true, feels like you've hit nothing contact. Sound is just as addictive. Distance belies the fact the Hogans are traditional lofts. I'm getting the distance of a 2° stronger PW. 9 iron has the same pop to it as well. The more I play the 105 version the more I'm obsessed with it. 

If anyone else wants some matte black versions give me a shout. 

IMG_20211226_181602_350.jpg

IMG_20211226_181602_383.jpg

IMG_20211226_181602_421.jpg

IMG_20211226_181602_448.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/10/2021 at 8:45 AM, br2813 said:

Possible to pm you?

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/25/2022 at 2:18 PM, BadgerRick said:

Any updates on these shafts? Been thinking of going with the Mitsubishi MMT 125, but would like to give these a try as I've always loved Xcaliber stuff.

There are all Matte Black 105 shafts available now. The ones with the new graphics won't be available till July

RTI graphics_ai and png files.jpeg