TESTERS WANTED! ×

Hybrids vs Woods

tony@CIC

Just finished watching a TXG video on differences between the two. I currently carry a Cobra F-Max 5 wood 20* and Ping 410 Hybrids 22* and 26*. Last year I only used the wood on fairways and the hybrids in the rough.  This year I found the wood works well in the rough if the ball is sitting up and I started using the hybrids on the fairway. So I've got to rethink my club selection.

Curious which do you use and when. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Last year I carried my G30 5-wood and G30 3 and 5 hybrids.  I primarily used them based on the yardage I was trying to hit.  I feel comfortable using them off the tee, fairway, or rough but if I'm that far out that I need a 5-wood to get to the green and I'm not in a good spot I might play an iron and put myself in position for a better shot into the green.  

If I was trying to hit one on a rope I could take the G30 3 Hybrid and keep it pretty low off the tee.  

At the end of the year I felt that it was getting a little crowded for yardage gaps so I sold to the two G30 hybrids and picked up a Titleist 818 4 Hyrbid.  I'm hoping to have that one have a bit more right bias and simplify shot selection at that end of the bag.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Just finished watching a TXG video on differences between the two. I currently carry a Cobra F-Max 5 wood 20* and Ping 410 Hybrids 22* and 26*. Last year I only used the wood on fairways and the hybrids in the rough.  This year I found the wood works well in the rough if the ball is sitting up and I started using the hybrids on the fairway. So I've got to rethink my club selection.
Curious which do you use and when. 

I love hybrids so i carry a 19 turned down to 18, a 21, and a 25. I carry a 15* 3 wood lofted to 16*.

I use them all off the tee. Lie then dictates further use:

Don’t use 3 wood out of the rough or if the ball is too far above or below my feet.

Hybrids I will use more frequently. If the ball is sitting in deep rough I will probably avoid a hybrid and go with an iron.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I struggle with gapping of these clubs. I have a 3 wood and a 3 hybrid. The plan was to use a 3 wood off the tee and a hybrid into par 5’s. The difficulty is when I really smash my hybrid is goes as far as my average 3 wood. 

I think the technology has gotten to a point where it is so easy to get the ball in the air that you can really go with preference. If that big headed wood gives you confidence sitting behind the ball, it’s your guy. If you need the shorter length and compact shape, go hybrid. 

If you’re me and don’t hit either super consistently, take lessons and lay up haha. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

Obviously Matt plays an entirely different game then I do. However, one thing I took away was the ball flight. I do know that my 5 wood has a much higher ball flight then my hybrids, so I'll need to add that into my club selection process - especially since we play courses that are hilly and/or have elevated bunkers as obstacles. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

3 minutes ago, jddaigneault said:

I struggle with gapping of these clubs. I have a 3 wood and a 3 hybrid. The plan was to use a 3 wood off the tee and a hybrid into par 5’s. The difficulty is when I really smash my hybrid is goes as far as my average 3 wood. 

I think the technology has gotten to a point where it is so easy to get the ball in the air that you can really go with preference. If that big headed wood gives you confidence sitting behind the ball, it’s your guy. If you need the shorter length and compact shape, go hybrid. 

If you’re me and don’t hit either super consistently, take lessons and lay up haha. 

I was finding my 5-wood and 3-Hybrid were getting too close.  Not in carry, but in total on a lot of hits because I was getting super low spin out of the Hybrid.  So getting those lofts right is key to getting the gapping and launch/spin correct.  That's why at my fitting we decided to drop the double hybrid and go to a single.  I lost about 5 yards carry on the 3-hybrid but picked up almost 800 RPM on spin so I was stopping it almost 12 yards sooner and avoided that dreaded hybrid hook with a flatter lie.  I ended up going with the 818 H1 vs the G410 based on another time I had hitting both, but don't have any data to share from that time.  It ended up coming down to personal preference (which was to save some cash for the same performance).

Capture.JPG

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Overall I have always wanted to carry a wood but have never hit them well. I have been very successful with my current hybrids (2H/4H). Not sure how gapping will allow these both to stay in my bag when I get my new irons. If that is the case I will be looking into a wood.

I will say I AM MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE hitting my hybrids from any lie. Tee box, fairway, rough doesn't matter. Being a golfer though I want a wood in my bag 🤣

image.thumb.png.6713f9bce01deb5df0bf20b20b63f6ae.png

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

6 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Obviously Matt plays an entirely different game then I do. However, one thing I took away was the ball flight. I do know that my 5 wood has a much higher ball flight then my hybrids, so I'll need to add that into my club selection process - especially since we play courses that are hilly and/or have elevated bunkers as obstacles. 

That’s fascinating, isn’t it typically the opposite? 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

Overall I have always wanted to carry a wood but have never hit them well. I have been very successful with my current hybrids (2H/4H). Not sure how gapping will allow these both to stay in my bag when I get my new irons. If that is the case I will be looking into a wood.
I will say I AM MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE hitting my hybrids from any lie. Tee box, fairway, rough doesn't matter. Being a golfer though I want a wood in my bag 
image.thumb.png.6713f9bce01deb5df0bf20b20b63f6ae.png

But you’re hybrids are the size of fairway woods! Haha
I think the shaft length makes a big difference for a lot of people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, jddaigneault said:

That’s fascinating, isn’t it typically the opposite? 

Depends on the presentation of loft at impact. A lot of people hit hybrids like irons which creates a steeper AOA. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I haven't carried a 5 wood for 15+ years, the ease of hitting a hybrid and the ability to get them to land softly makes more sense to me.  I carry a 19 degree and a 23 degree hybrid with my 3 wood being 13 degree.  I think some people do not undertand the ease of hitting a hybrid vs a longer wood.

Michael Miami, FL
5.5 USGA index
Cobra Rad Speed 9 degree with smoke HZRDS RDX 6.0 shaft
Tour Edge 15 degree 3 wood with 6.5 HZRDS Smoke shaft
Srixon XZ 16 degree rescue with 6.5 dynaflo shaft

Cobra Amp  #4/5 22 degree rescue

Cobra F9 speedback irons 5-PW

Cleveland CG 46 Degree

Cleveland CBX 50 degree
Wilson Staff SW 54 degree
Rife Enzo blade with Graviry Grip cut to 32"