TESTERS WANTED! ×

Changing putter grip

Being stuck at home, all I want to do is tinker with my clubs. Are there any good resources on how to pull and save a putter grip and put on a new one? I don't have any tools so I am starting from scratch.

9* Epic Max LS 9* ADDI 6X

3W F9 ADDI 7X / 2i MP20 HMB AD DI 85S

3-PW MP20 Mixed (3,4 HMB; 5-PW MCC) KBS $Taper

50, 54, 58 RTX4

New putter each round until I stop sucking

Srixon Zstar Yellow

I'm in the same boat as you, but probably a week or two ahead of you in my research. I've never messed with mine either, but I'm about to considering I think it's going to be another month before I can get out and actually hit balls. They just cancelled school here for the remainder of the year which will probably lead to the stay at home order being extended until sometime in May or close to when school would have gotten out anyway.

Youtube is probably a good place to begin, but without tools, I'd be starting on a club you don't care about or be prepared to mess up your grip. A metal coat hanger and some mineral spirits from the hardware store is probably your only option without tools. I have an air compressor and a blow gun attachment for other uses so I'm going to try using air to get mine off. I also found a children's tylenol syringe from when my son was an infant and am going to use that to inject some mineral spirits into the grip hole before I use the air.

Edited by ChitownM2

Follow @Scotteggolf on Instagram. He owns the last independent equipment truck on the PGA tour and posts videos on club making, regripping and putter grip removal. I've done it before using a meat injector I got at Wal-Mart for about $5. It takes a lot of muscle, a lot of solvent & patience. You need to know that when the grip comes off it will not be the same as when it went on. TBH, unless the grip is a one off or limited edition, the effort required is not worth just purchasing a new grip.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I probably should try to save mine because I go through putters like I go through underwear (once a month whether I need to or not). I had a pro shop try to remove a putter grip once, but it felt lumpy on my new club, probably from old tape, and I never wanted to risk that happening again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow @Scotteggolf on Instagram. He owns the last independent equipment truck on the PGA tour and posts videos on club making, regripping and putter grip removal. I've done it before using a meat injector I got at Wal-Mart for about $5. It takes a lot of muscle, a lot of solvent & patience. You need to know that when the grip comes off it will not be the same as when it went on. TBH, unless the grip is a one off or limited edition, the effort required is not worth just purchasing a new grip.

Totally agree. I love club tinkering, regripping included, along with paint fill, new shafts, all of it is fun. HATE trying to save grips. I will just buy new ones.

3 hours ago, shadow0861 said:

Totally agree. I love club tinkering, regripping included, along with paint fill, new shafts, all of it is fun. HATE trying to save grips. I will just buy new ones.

This is great, I’m going to check it out!

9* Epic Max LS 9* ADDI 6X

3W F9 ADDI 7X / 2i MP20 HMB AD DI 85S

3-PW MP20 Mixed (3,4 HMB; 5-PW MCC) KBS $Taper

50, 54, 58 RTX4

New putter each round until I stop sucking

Srixon Zstar Yellow

Never use solvent to remove a multi-layered grip.  e.g. Winn type of grip with a thin rubber underlisting and then the wrap covers the top.  Solvent will loosen the bond between the layers, you'll be left with a ruined grip.

If you have an air compressor at home ( or get one > $60, not the cheap kind which will be useless , get the one that can utilize an air tool ), use the air method.

I had found through the years, that if you have the right size grip to match the butt end of the shaft, with a couple of home made tools, that yo could install/remove almost any type of golf grips .  Sometimes needing a little knowhow and practice and lubricant to help .  

I had removed old grips that was installed with double sided grip tape and saved them, installed jumbo sized putter grips..........   Love to use the air tool once you figured out the basic.   It is a far cry from the old days with double sided tape / solvent to install which needs a specialized tool and solvent to remove it.

Piece of cake and anyone could do this at home.  Easier than changing the motor oil on your truck.

Edited by release