TESTERS WANTED! ×

Walking vs. Golf carts

I wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on walking vs. riding in a golf cart.  

This topic should be relevant now more than ever before during this time of 'social distancing'.  Most courses that are open during this pandemic are walking only.

I personally feel that walking the course is the way the game is meant to be played.  First and foremost, going back to golf's roots, the game was always walked.  Walking the course allows you to be more connected to the course, more involved in the match, more engaged with playing partners, and more aware about what is happening on the course. 

I feel that golf carts take away from the true golf experience.  Also, I truly believe that golf carts are one of the biggest culprits for slow play.  It is very rare for both golfers in the same cart to be hitting shots in the same general vicinity.  You have to cover more ground with a cart.  There seems to be a lot of unnecessary time wasted driving around between shots.  Carts seem to be more appropriate for the scramble tournament beer drinking couple rounds a year golfer.  To be fair, there is nothing wrong with these golfers, and I absolutely enjoy the occasional scramble and beer drinking outing like the rest of us.

I feel that more and more golf courses seem to promote and even require golf carts and do not even give the option to walk.  Courses seem to be designed for carts with long distances between holes due to the course being part of a residential development.  Resort style courses and modern country clubs all fit into the golf carts only profile.

Hopefully more golf courses will follow in the footsteps of Bandon Dunes.  This golf mecca has done it right.  Top notch, old school links golf the way the game was meant to be played.

This time of 'walking required golf' may be an eye opener for the game!

Thoughts?

T.Webb.jpg

4 years ago, as I was planning m6 retirement, I was shopping for remote control carts. I then found out that I had torn ligaments in my left foot that gave way to excruciating pain when I tried to walk downhill. The Drs suggested surgery repair but then I would have 4 months with no weight allowed on my left foot. I decided to pass on the surgery and wear a brace. Now I rid3 a cart and park on backside of the green with my handicap flag. I don’t like it but it allows me to keep playing.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I prefer walking when possible, but having just gone through surgery, and now dealing with back pain that may put me out of the game for an extended period of time, I may not have a choice, but to ride in a cart going forward.  I like walking, because it typically is cheaper, and it frees me up not to have to always go to my cartners ball as well as mine.  I honestly think carts slow the game down.  But with my physical condition currently being less than nominal, I'll opt for a cart, rather than not try playing at all.

We'll see.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I would say I walk 90% of the time.  I enjoy the extra exercise I get during the round.  Most of the courses I play here in Chicago are short enough that walking is the best option.  The courses in the suburbs are more suited to carts with longer distances between tees. I walk at these longer suburban courses if I'm alone.

Now, full disclosure here.  I do enjoy the occasional beer-fueled charity scramble once or twice a year. 

In the city, more and more courses are making the GolfBoard available for rent during the round. I don't have any personal experience using them, but I see the GolfBoard as a viable alternative to the cart. Does anyone have any thoughts/ experience with the boards?

Driver: Titleist TSR3 8*-  VA Slay 55 R

Hybrid: 2- Callaway Paradigm Super Hybrid  - VA Slay 85 R

Hybrid: 4- Callaway Paradigm Smoke AI  - VA Slay 85 R

Irons: Srixon ZX5 MII (4-PW) -  UST Mamiya Dart V 90 F3

Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* Volkey SM6 - Stock Shaft

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #9 - Stock Shaft

Walking is what I do most of the time. I love the workout, but most of all, I love that I'm able to maintain my focus. I'm not worried about my cart partner and where he's at.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

My club has three walkable courses and I do not remember the last time I took a cart playing at home.  We are fortunate the courses were all designed pre-60s so there is no housing and distance between green and tees are reasonable.  When I do play away, I frequently take a cart since I often find myself playing housing development or resort courses.  It is embarrassing, but I have to remember how to work the cart and always ask the starter for their cart rules.  Appreciate that there is a social aspect to two person carts but they are such a waste of time when the players hit different distances on drives.  Like when I play with my son and he hits it a 300 yards to my 220.  Also, I never truly appreciate the rise and fall of the course or the slope as much when I take a cart. 

I ride. Even during this pandemic our club allows riders as singles or family members only. 

Walkers are the bane of my golfing existence. They are just so slow compared to riding. A few walkers on the course can turn my afternoon 9 to a 2+ hour round when normally my son and I can finish in closer to 1 hour. 

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

I lost a lot of weight The last couple years and took to walking the course as part of my exercise regime. I’ll easily do 36 holes on foot

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

I love walking, but at 78 years young we play a very hilly course I find I need to take a cart. I play with my wife and while we ride we try to take turns walking on every other hole. I take the odd holes and she takes the even holes. This allows us to ride and also to get some walking exercise. Our course allows carts and if you live together you can ride in the same cart. Of course a lot of people must ride in separate carts. This is a good thing, but it also creates a problem. It is first come first served. Today we almost did not get a cart. I miss walking and carrying my bag. To me nothing beats walking down a beautiful fairway carrying you bag on a great sunny day at a  course you love. 

I love being able to use a push cart. I feel like you stay more focused during your round walking vs riding in a cart. There are a lot of distractions in a cart and I feel like you’re quicker to play and make decisions without really taking everything of the shot into consideration. 

20 hours ago, CO2planker said:

Never tried the golfBoard.  From golf bikes to actual club toting goats, there are definitely people exploring alternative ways to get around the course!

I forgot about the Goats!  Something I've always wanted to try!

Driver: Titleist TSR3 8*-  VA Slay 55 R

Hybrid: 2- Callaway Paradigm Super Hybrid  - VA Slay 85 R

Hybrid: 4- Callaway Paradigm Smoke AI  - VA Slay 85 R

Irons: Srixon ZX5 MII (4-PW) -  UST Mamiya Dart V 90 F3

Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* Volkey SM6 - Stock Shaft

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #9 - Stock Shaft

Depends on the weather and the course played. I have a personal cart and use it especially in the summer when it's really hot or on cold days (I have an enclosure + heater). In the spring and fall I'll generally walk the course, especially if it's cart path only. FYI our course is long - 7.5 miles and very hilly so not conducive if it's really hot or cold. . 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

15 hours ago, crw said:

I ride. Even during this pandemic our club allows riders as singles or family members only. 

Walkers are the bane of my golfing existence. They are just so slow compared to riding. A few walkers on the course can turn my afternoon 9 to a 2+ hour round when normally my son and I can finish in closer to 1 hour. 

That is unfortunate.  Hopefully you have addressed this problem with your clubs board members.  Perhaps they need to re-evaluate the course pace of play protocol and educate members on basic course etiquette.  Is there a presence of course marshalls, are slow groups allowing faster/ smaller groups to play through, is walking the only reason they are slow, do all groups with carts finish in similar pace?  Good member discussion/ action at the club may help speed everyone up.

T.Webb.jpg

13 minutes ago, CO2planker said:

That is unfortunate.  Hopefully you have addressed this problem with your clubs board members.  Perhaps they need to re-evaluate the course pace of play protocol and educate members on basic course etiquette.  Is there a presence of course marshalls, are slow groups allowing faster/ smaller groups to play through, is walking the only reason they are slow, do all groups with carts finish in similar pace?  Good member discussion/ action at the club may help speed everyone up.

Normally I don’t ask to play through and just skip the hole.  It’s not possible right now due to how busy the courses are due to it being one of the handful of things people can do. 

I don’t think the players skill has much to do with it, rather the courses aren’t the best designs for walking with large gaps between greens and tee boxes and 3 of the 4 courses being 7000+ yards. 

The board and staff know and during normal times have a 4 hour pace of play notice in each of the carts. Right now they have a social distancing reminder. I wouldn’t say anything now because I’m just happy they are open. 

Edited by crw

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

15 minutes ago, crw said:

Normally I don’t ask to play through and just skip the hole.  It’s not possible right now due to how busy the courses are due to it being one of the handful of things people can do. 

I don’t think the players skill has much to do with it, rather the courses aren’t the best designs for walking with large gaps between greens and tee boxes and 3 of the 4 courses being 7000+ yards. 

The board and staff know and during normal times have a 4 hour pace of play notice in each of the carts. Right now they have a social distancing reminder. I wouldn’t say anything now because I’m just happy they are open. 

Agreed, I am fortunate that we are able to even play at all!

T.Webb.jpg

23 hours ago, CO2planker said:

So I have only been playing for a year and a half now and I have only taken a golf cart. However, what I do enjoy about the game so much is being outdoors. I do see your point where if everyone is having to walk the course then people wouldn't be able to catch up as fast. However, I would also think that by talking you would need to have bigger gaps between time slots. Because lets say you have a group of 4 everyone has to check in walk to the first tee and his then walk to find their ball (like an Easter egg hunt for me at the moment) and hit off a second time before the next group could even go. 

I am not disagreeing that not walking a course does take away from some of the spot. But at least in my case it would probably take me longer to get through 18 holes by walking it.   

This topic should be relevant now more than ever before during this time of 'social distancing'.  Most courses that are open during this pandemic are walking only.

I personally feel that walking the course is the way the game is meant to be played.  First and foremost, going back to golf's roots, the game was always walked.  Walking the course allows you to be more connected to the course, more involved in the match, more engaged with playing partners, and more aware about what is happening on the course. 

I feel that golf carts take away from the true golf experience.  Also, I truly believe that golf carts are one of the biggest culprits for slow play.  It is very rare for both golfers in the same cart to be hitting shots in the same general vicinity.  You have to cover more ground with a cart.  There seems to be a lot of unnecessary time wasted driving around between shots.  Carts seem to be more appropriate for the scramble tournament beer drinking couple rounds a year golfer.  To be fair, there is nothing wrong with these golfers, and I absolutely enjoy the occasional scramble and beer drinking outing like the rest of us.

I feel that more and more golf courses seem to promote and even require golf carts and do not even give the option to walk.  Courses seem to be designed for carts with long distances between holes due to the course being part of a residential development.  Resort style courses and modern country clubs all fit into the golf carts only profile.

Hopefully more golf courses will follow in the footsteps of Bandon Dunes.  This golf mecca has done it right.  Top notch, old school links golf the way the game was meant to be played.

Thoughts?

:callaway-small: Rouge 10.5

:tour-edge: 3 Wood

:tour-edge: 4 & 5 Hybrid

:tour-edge: 6-9 Irons

:callaway-small: MD3 46degree

:ping-small: Sand Wedge

:odyssey-small: EXO 2-ball slant stroke lab putter

I walked 18 yesterday (6000 yard course) just shy of two hours because no one was in front of me. With a cart due to winter rules it would've been the same probably. Had it not been cart path only i would've been done even quicker.

That being said, I prefer walking.

TM.png

Sim / M2 / MG

Z785

Brandon Matthews No2 - Not Made for the Tour
"buy the ticket, take the ride..."

For the first 55 years I always walked unless I was playing at a resort or in the 4 winter months at our Club in the Desert, where riding is required. Four years ago I had my first knee replacement (the preceeding year of limping around the course with a bone-on-bone knee was not fun) and following rehab I started walking again. Wore out the other knee and then 2 years ago replaced it, as well. 

I'll be 72 in 2 months, played 122 times last year and have a 7.4 Index as of the moment.

If you know anyone who has had knee replacement surgery, they have probably told you that the week following surgery is godawful miserable. The 2nd week is just miserable and the 3rd-4th weeks are slightly better, horrible. BUT, following 4-5 months of faithful rehab, you are pretty much almost good as new.

HOWEVER, just before going into the O.R. prior to the 2nd replacement my doctor asked me if I had any final questions. I said Yes. "Do these wear out?"

He said YES. Depending upon use, they should last 10 - 20 years before needing to come out and have new hardware reinstalled!!!

That's it! I now ONLY ride, even though I can easily walk the 18 holes every day. I plan to outlive my artificial knees.

For what it's worth, sometimes after a heavy rainstorm and we are restricted to cartpaths, according to my Apple Watch I walk about 7,500 steps over the 18 holds of going back & forth to the cart. On such days, I leave my cart at the clubhouse and walk the full 18for about 10,000 steps. A round fully using the golf cart clocks about 3,500 steps.

At my club we can walk or ride. I prefer to walk & use a push cart..my back can’t take carrying a bag at my age! I do occasionally take a cart especially when it’s very hot or we play a few days in a row. 
it is good exercise and I do think I’m more focused on my game when I can walk.

On 4/17/2020 at 9:37 PM, CO2planker said:

Thoughts?

Personally hate carts not only for the speed of play but even with a best friend next to me it’s annoying waiting for them to play and driving all over the course 😩

TaylorMade P790 - Dymanic Gold Shaft Stiff, 105g, Standard Lies & Length

TaylorMade M5 - Mitsubishi Chemical Shaft Stiff, 60g, 10.5g, Draw Bias

Right Handed

Sandton, Johannesburg, SA

Handicap 2

It really doesnt matter to me one way or the other.  I do enjoy walking more but carts are fine.  I personally dont think that carts make it any faster because people are efficient with a cart.  It seems like most, instead of dropping 1 player at their ball and then the driver going over to their ball and meeting up after both have hit their shots people just stop at 1 ball, person hits it, then they drive over to the other ball.  Thats really no more efficient than people who walk and everyone walks to their own ball.

When its 90 degrees in the middle of the summer though, I prefer a cart.  With all this COVID nonsense though, I dont see myself taking a cart anytime soon.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Where I've played in Denmark, riding golf carts seem rare. People of all ages are either pushing a cart or carrying their clubs. Whenever I get together with my brother in California we usually ride. At first, it had to do with 100°+ temperatures in the Central Valley, and shade was just a necessity. After that, it became a habit, I suppose.

Now since the lockdown, I'm becoming more aware of that choice. We've talked about walking the course instead, but my bro wants to get better at moving the ball forward (rather than left or right).

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58° PUTTER Untitled-8.png.42ad9734db415b5a132df0574137f4f0.png KS1

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO | Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png SUPERSOFT
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S