Blake Alexander

What would you rather put in your bag 2 iron or hybrid why or why not?

Our Sponsors

Just looking for what people personally prefer I’d rather have an iron so I could use it off tee as well as if I needed to punch out of somewhere just all around. 

• Like 3

Just now, Blake Alexander said:

Just looking for what people personally prefer I’d rather have an iron so I could use it off tee as well as if I needed to punch out of somewhere just all around. 

I would try both honesty and see what you’re more comfortable with. Worst thing is to have a club you aren’t fully comfortable with and try hitting under pressure. I’m a huge fan of the hybrid. Love using it around the green as well!

• Like 1

That's easy. Even tour players are not using 2 irons unless they are in the upper echelon. The way the hybrid is constructed, it offers all kinds of help in getting the ball in the air with enough spin that it will actually do what you want. A 2 iron would be fun just to try out but hell no in day to day play.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

No brainer. Hybrid. Easier to launch. 2 iron is awesome but more difficult to consistently hit 

• Like 1

I personally as i have gotten older (42 ) have gone to hybrids. I am looking at ditching my 4 iron soon and adding another one. I feel ii can shape them and control them better then long irons. 

• Like 1

:taylormade-small: M2 Driver

:taylormade-small: M2 3 wood

Titleist 915 hybrid 

Titleist TMB 4-5

Titleist AP2 irons 6 - PW

:cleveland-small: 52 / 58/ 60 W

Scotty Cameron x5/ TaylorMade spider tour/Ping Answer 2 

Posted (edited)

I may be the odd one, but I think I prefer the 2i to the hybrid. That said, I currently have a hybrid and the 4i is my lowest blade. But I’ve always enjoyed hitting irons. Some of my all time favorite shots are rippin long irons off the tee! I was pretty bummed after I got my AP1s and found out they don’t make a 3i. 

Edited by Jason24

• Driver: Titleist 917D2 9.5º, Fujispeeder T.S. 74
  • 3W: Titleist 917F2 15º, Rogue Max 75
  • Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 19º, Atmos blue 8.5
  • Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, White AMT s300
  • Wedges: Vokey SM6; 46º, 54º, 60º
  • Putter: Evnroll ER1.2 blade

Hybrid. I use mine off the tee, in fairways, and fairway traps. Ball flight is low, can shape it to draw or fade, and can stop it on the green.  

1932748212_ScreenShot2020-05-22at6_12_08AM.thumb.png.5bb41051d506bec05a6f024ebd2668d2.png

2-iron all day for me.  I couldnt never hit a hybrid very well.

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5*

Hybrid: Tommy Armour 845 19*

Irons: Tommy Armour 845 6, 8 and PW

Wedges: Tommy Armour VCG 56*

Putter: Tommy Armour 303 Milled Series Serrano

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I have carry both a 2 Iron and a Hybrid, I just bough the hybrid in February. I can still him the two iron but as another side just not as consistent as in my younger days. Depends what you are looking for. If you want something off the team I would use a hybrid I can consistently get off the team and it is generally 20-30 years longer then my 2 iron. Now if you are in trouble  and need a punch shot you need a iron for that in my opinion. I would work on your 3 or 4 and take the 2 out of your bag that is my plan. 

I used to carrry a 2 iron back in the day.  I don't think I ever hit it too often.  Now that I don't play as often I carry a 3 hybrid and have recently put a 17 degree 5 wood in the bag.  The 5 wood launches a little higher than my 3 wood that is set at 14.5 and carries just a little less.  I can hit the hybrid and 5 wood both well off the tee and on the deck.  If I have to drop a club I think I'd lean towards the hybrid and keep the 5 wood in.  I feel just a fraction more confident with the 5 wood at the moment.

Driver:  Taylormade '16 9.5* M1 Fujikura XLR8 61 S RH

3 Wood: Cobra F7 14.5 Degree Aldila DVS Fairway 75X

5 Wood: Taylormade R15 17 degree Fujikura Speeder 67 S

Hybrid: Ping G400 3 Hyb 19 degree S

Irons: Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW Aerotek Steelfiber i110 cw S RH standard lie and 1* strong

Wedges: 50 Callaway MD 4, 54 Vokey SM5, 58 Callaway Forged

Putters: Oddysey White Hot #7 Fang, Scotty Cameron Futura Phantom Mallet, Callaway S2H2

I use a TM 16* 2 rescue that I can work really easy. It's gotten me out of some really tough spots. I don't feel like I could do the same with a 2 iron.

TM.png.d551804c21debc091a6aef9280cf38ab.png

M5 10.5* -1 - Hzrdus Smoke Green
M2 3W -
2 Rescue -
P790 - 4-PW - C-Taper 120 S
Milled Grind - 54/58

Brandon Matthews No2 - Not Made for the Tour
"buy the ticket, take the ride..."

I use a hybrid over an iron, gets in the air much faster.

:cobra-small: Driver F9                     

:mizuno-small: 5-wood 190    
:mizuno-small: 4i - PW MP-20 MMC                                                                       

:vokey-small: SM-8 50/F  54/S  58/M

:odyssey-small: Toulon San Diego Garage

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Guest Delete
Posted (edited)

Delete

Edited by Delete
Delete

There is a case for having a hybrid in the bag. I have yet to see a player to hit 2 or 3 iron anywhere else than fairway whereas I (even with limited skills) always loved hitting hybrid from funky lies in all sorts of conditions. So if someone can get along with the hybrid, I highly recommend them to use it.

Unfortunately I have love/hate relationship with the hybrid and since I struggle more with direction than height I prefer to use my Srixon Z U65 3 iron (lofted from 20 to 19 degrees). Its still a forgiving high launching chunky monkey so it behaves quite similar to the hybrid. I reserve the hybrid for winter and damp months to get that extra carry when there is virtualy no roll out.

WITB: :titelist-small: TS2, 9,5°, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

Fairway::taylormade-small: M5 15°, Fujikura Ventus Red 7S

Irons: :srixon-small: Z U65, 3 iron (20°), Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White Hybrid 90S; :srixon-small: Z U65, 4 iron (23°); :srixon-small: Z565, 5-PW, Nippon Modus 105S,

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 50°/10° Nippon Modus 105S, 56°/11°, 62°/8°, Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 8.0, 35''

Ball: INESIS Tour 900

On the naughty bench:

:titelist-small: 818 H1 (20°) Tensei AV Blue 70S, 40,5''

I would say 2 iron for me, it's harder to hook it. My miss with a hybrid is off the planet left. I like being able to hit my clubs as far as possible, however I would take a chunked 2 iron at the flag then a 20 yard hook. If someone hits it straight I would absolutely say go hybrid to get some height coming into a green.  And if you hit it long and straight use whatever you want, just don't rub it in my face lol

I just love when my opponents pull out a long iron, i just think "Dreamer"

Im trying to figure this out now, I like my 3H but it launches a little high. Its my fairway finder off the tee, but in the wind it gets beaten back so far. It makes me think I need the utility iron for windy days.

Along with the reasons you give, I'm not a big wood fan...Love Irons, so I would look to the 2 iron. Utilize my 3 iron off the tee for most par 4's under 380 or so, unless their near reachable with Driver. 

18 Replies.

12 for hybrids

6 for 2 irons

Pretty typical responses when it comes to equipment advice and the uniqueness of individual swings. Best bet is to see what works for you, I would say a fitting but the problem with fitting this type of club is you are hitting off a perfect lie. A lot of times this club will be used in unorthodox situations. 

I have carried both but neither are in the bag now. 5w replaced them, for now...

• Like 1

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.5* (Ventus Black 6X) 45"

:taylormade-small:             M5 15* (Ventus Black 7x) 43"

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* (Tensei AV Blue 70 X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-AW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."